02-24-2004, 12:36 AM
Just want to let the members know what was mentioned
on the following threads:

First by Shiv,

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56001

Then, just recently by Big Al,

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66639

is not to be taken lightly.

I ran into problem when on the way back from the Thunderhill track day, the car will hesitate, irratic boost, and popping noise from front upon boost., and just running miserably. :shock: As the evo was running fine before then.
Thinking that it may have been bad gas, tried refueling with fresh gas after running down the old gas, and resetting the ECU, but to no effect.
Thanks to Pete from Works, :wink: who spent like 3 hrs till like 1 am in the morning trying to diagnosed the problem,including changing the plugs, bov, etc, and finally hit it on the nailhead, low fuel pressure, which causes the ECU to fuel cut for engine protection.
Thanks to Andrew,Gino/Mike at GP motorsports, who swapped out the stock pump for the Walboro, and is now back into action.

I would advise all evo owners to swap out the stock pump as it is inexpensive, and Mike/Gino got some awesome pricing on them.
Btw, my evo is running fine now, and can't wait for the next power upgrade.

Again, thanks to Pete@Works for the Help, talking about customer service. :) :bow:

evo_dadi
02-24-2004, 06:37 AM
thx for the heads up man now time to do a group buy with these suckers ;)

btw do you know if they used the new filter kit with it? i think one vendor on evom was saying that it wasnt necessary to change it and it just causes more headache.

wilson1
02-24-2004, 09:35 AM
Mike got me the one with the new filter kit, however, it is not necessary as it can be change over to the new pump.

lambtron
02-24-2004, 10:01 AM
its not necessary to use a new filter, you will be fine using the original one, changing the fuel pump is already enough of a headache haha, it just takes tons of patience and you can't try to force anything.

JanSolo
02-24-2004, 10:25 AM
What about all the people that ran on Thunderhill with stock fuel pumps and had no problems? I bet 90% of the Evos at the last Thunderhill track day had stock fuel pumps had no issues. Maybe it was the combination of your mods that lead to the need for more fuel, as the new cams you have installed obviously use more gas than the stock ones.

559EVO
02-24-2004, 11:34 PM
My friend got stage 1 installed and dyno tuned by vishnu and shiv showed us on a graph how the fuel pump was already giving up after a few runs on the dyno.

wilson1
02-25-2004, 12:00 AM
i would recommend it without hesitation to all members!

No brainers.

robi
02-25-2004, 12:46 AM
Old fool that I am... I carry a spare pump in the trunk...(a habit from my old alfaromero days) second mod I did to my car...and never been worried since.

wilson1
02-25-2004, 12:54 AM
Hey, robi, what other spare parts do you carry?
Btw, did you trailered your evo up to Thunderhill?

robi
02-25-2004, 01:38 AM
negative drove evey mile in the "daily driver". Plugs, code reader, logging wideband 02 meter, brake pads, brake fluid, spare studs/lugnuts, small air compressor, and a tire plug/patck kit...Can you tell I was an Eagle Scout???

wilson1
02-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Jesus, i thought i was prepared with my AAA card.

rodw
02-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Wilson,

Do you still have the stock line/regulator/injectors in your evo? or did you upgrade them?

A list of your mods would shed more light on this issue.

robi
02-25-2004, 05:33 PM
AAA is good but you have to wait to long...and then there was the time that I ran my Dodge /cummins out of fuel called them and they brought me 5 gallons and were so kind as to dispense it to...But it was GASOLINE!!! 6hours later I was on my way and have never called or paid them a dime since...Se why I carry all that S**t?

lambtron
02-25-2004, 11:22 PM
dude, triple A is cool and all but they are horrible with timing. Somehow my dumbass locked my keys in my car...in my garage and I had to wait til 1am for them to show up, and the only reason they got it open is because I suggested they just try to press the button rather than try and push the lock open, possibly scratching up the door and shit. wow i hated that night. hah

wilson1
02-25-2004, 11:40 PM
Wilson,

Do you still have the stock line/regulator/injectors in your evo? or did you upgrade them?

A list of your mods would shed more light on this issue.-

Only have the Perrin fuel rail with SS braided fuel line, Hks 272's, cam gears,Works throttle body, P2 flash, full 3" turboback.