PDA

View Full Version : Pulsing/juddering in steering wheel

vtluu
07-18-2005, 11:21 AM
I'm feeling through the steering wheel a high-speed pulse/shudder (low-speed vibration if you will) that occurs when I'm driving on the freeway; I can start to feel it around 65 mph and definitely feel it at 70. Goes away while even a bit of steering input is present (as in to follow a curve in the road). Thought maybe a wheel was bent/unbalanced so I swapped front and rear wheels; didn't help.

I thought maybe an alignment issue, however I've had the car aligned recently. And I can't think of an alignment issue that would cause pulsing like this. I did however recently remove and re-install the front wheel hubs while installing new lub studs--axle nut and wheel hub assembly bolts all torqued to spec.

Ideas?

dohcvtec
07-18-2005, 01:33 PM
an unbalanced wheel?

vtluu
07-18-2005, 02:43 PM
an unbalanced wheel?
That's what I thought and that's why I swapped wheels front to back. It's possible of course that I have multiple unbalanced wheels, so I might go for a quick run with the race wheels/tires on...

Assuming it's not the wheels, what might it be?

methods4
07-18-2005, 03:33 PM
I had the same issue as you. Frustrated the shiat out of me because I kept thinking it was my wheels or alignement. Nothing I changed worked. I finally gave in and bought two new hubs and replaced them. No more shake. I've kept both of my old ones because I'm sure only one of them went bad. Just dunno which one.

vtluu
07-18-2005, 04:30 PM
I had the same issue as you. Frustrated the shiat out of me because I kept thinking it was my wheels or alignement. Nothing I changed worked. I finally gave in and bought two new hubs and replaced them. No more shake. I've kept both of my old ones because I'm sure only one of them went bad. Just dunno which one.
Thanks, the front wheel hub assembly (MB914617--one part number so I'm guessing left/right are identical?) is only $106 from MitsubishiParts.com so I may just end up doing the same thing as you.

zyounker
07-18-2005, 05:49 PM
Check the fins in your rotors to make sure some of the veins are not clocked with dirt or something..

Had this happen when i rallyed my old WRX.. Just an idea..

Dr. Evo
07-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Check the fins in your rotors to make sure some of the veins are not clocked with dirt or something..

Had this happen when i rallyed my old WRX.. Just an idea..

Good idea. Check also for mud stuck anywhere else in the rotating assembly (axles, etc.). If your rotors are warped enough you could feel them when you are not on the brakes also.

methods4
07-19-2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks, the front wheel hub assembly (MB914617--one part number so I'm guessing left/right are identical?) is only $106 from MitsubishiParts.com so I may just end up doing the same thing as you.

Yeah they are identical.