PDA

View Full Version : Torco Racing Fuel

wilson1
07-18-2005, 11:23 PM
Saw this on http://www.craigslist.org/sby/car/85187887.html

Any comments?

"Torco Racing Fuels's "unleaded mach series accelerator" is the answer to sports car tuners prayers. Here in CA we are hindered with very poor low octane fuel at our pumps while the rest of the country has 93octane at every station.

If you're into tuning horsepower out of sports cars or trucks you know that the fuel you run is everything.

Just 1oz of Torco to 1gallon of 91 octane will raise it to 94!
2oz will net you close to 100

It's sold right now in 32oz cans for a temporary price of
$12.50 per can or $70 for a case of six. This is significantly cheaper than anywhere online. I'm now the west coast distributor for Torco Racing Fuels. I'm circulating the product around our community for this cheap price in order to gain feedback and support. The price will go up a little in time.

Torco is safe for o2 sensors and catalitic converters. We are currently conducting dyno testing and have a few long term test cars. We have seen nothing but fantastic results.

I found this product because I was looking for an alternative to 100 at the pump or pouring paint thinner in my tank. This is the perfect solution hands down.

Sorry, but I'm not shipping any yet because of insurance cost of shipping fuel. I will have a solution soon. For now we can arrange a sale somewhere in the south bay. "

vtluu
07-18-2005, 11:27 PM
:bs: Sounds like a pre-cooked sales pitch if you ask me; I mean look how the ad is seeded with car names just to pick up hits on searches. Let's see some real documentation. The usual addage applies: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

vtluu
07-18-2005, 11:41 PM
Excellent; marked this as Spam and now:

This posting has been removed by Craigslist community.

Evo442
07-19-2005, 06:31 AM
Hey wilson - if you want some data about torco, look at this post.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=115659&highlight=voodoo

I've used torco for a while now and my evo seems to be doing fine. I'm running 16 oz torco in 10 gallons of 91 octane gas. I have the 93 octane P2 Flash.

vtluu
07-19-2005, 09:09 AM
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of hard data I wanted. Looks like they're still playing a bit fast and loose with the numbers if they claim "10 gal of 93 + 32 oz of Torco = 104 octane." According to the test data you provided, you'd only get 98.5. Maybe they meant 104 octane RON (research octane number) and not (RON+MON)/2 but it seems to me they're still trying to be misleading.

Any idea what the active ingredient is?

BTW here's an interesting article I haven't seen before on the topic of octane boosters: http://europeancarweb.com/tech/0503ec_techboost/

Also check out this thread about Torco on NASIOC; some interesting info there: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?&t=420798

It all sounds iffy enough that I think I'll spend the extra $30 or so per track day on true 100-octane race gas.

wilson1
07-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Hey wilson - if you want some data about torco, look at this post.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=115659&highlight=voodoo

I've used torco for a while now and my evo seems to be doing fine. I'm running 16 oz torco in 10 gallons of 91 octane gas. I have the 93 octane P2 Flash.

Thankyou! :D

EvoVIII
07-19-2005, 12:16 PM
some 1 try it out

vtluu
07-19-2005, 12:37 PM
some 1 try it out
Why not you? :lol:

EvoVIII
07-19-2005, 12:47 PM
some 1 try it out
Why not you? :lol:
coz I am broke :lol:

vtluu
07-19-2005, 12:50 PM
Wilson then. He can afford to blow up one of his Evos. Again. :lol:

earlyapex
07-19-2005, 04:23 PM
I think I'll spend the extra $30 or so per track day on true 100-octane race gas.

Extra $30? God I wish.

I spent approx $130 on 100octane yesterday at thill. :(

$5.80 a gallon

vtluu
07-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Extra $30? God I wish.

I spent approx $130 on 100octane yesterday at thill. :(

$5.80 a gallon
That's using pure 100. I go through about 1.5 tanks of gas in a track day, so that's about 20 gallons. If I'm using a 50/50 mix (~96 octane) then I'm buying 10 gallons of 100 rather than 10 gallons of 91, i.e. $3 more a gallon ($5.80 instead of $2.80), i.e. $30.

Maybe you use more gas 'cuz you're faster than me. :lol:

Evo442
07-19-2005, 06:15 PM
some 1 try it out

I've been using it for almost a year. I'm running a 93 octane Works P2 flash with 91 octane calif gas. I add 16 oz to every 10 gallons of gas for the street and 32 oz for every 10 gallons at the track.

Much easier to use than the toluene/xylene that I used to use and probably safer too since toluene/xylene is pretty carcinogenic. Dumping a gallon of either in a tank of gas inevitably leads to some spillage/splashing etc. I get a little light headed by the time I've poured a gallon of either into my tank unless the ventilation is good.

I've done about 7 track days and prob 15k miles on the car using the torco. No problems so far... (knock on wood).

Evo442
07-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of hard data I wanted. Looks like they're still playing a bit fast and loose with the numbers if they claim "10 gal of 93 + 32 oz of Torco = 104 octane." According to the test data you provided, you'd only get 98.5. Maybe they meant 104 octane RON (research octane number) and not (RON+MON)/2 but it seems to me they're still trying to be misleading.

Any idea what the active ingredient is?

BTW here's an interesting article I haven't seen before on the topic of octane boosters: http://europeancarweb.com/tech/0503ec_techboost/

Also check out this thread about Torco on NASIOC; some interesting info there: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?&t=420798

It all sounds iffy enough that I think I'll spend the extra $30 or so per track day on true 100-octane race gas.

For track days, race gas is the easiest. I use torco daily because I have a 93 octane flash and only can get 91 octane in calif. Mixing 91 octane with race gas just isn't practical for daily driving. For track days, I double the amount of torco I use for added safety.

To each his own, but torco seems to be working out well for me. The data that I provided is enough to keep me happy. the claims of the torco company may be on the high side, but I think they advertise "up to" 104 octane. It seems clear enough to me that the torco does have some significant effect.

as far as the active ingredient goes, I've talked to the company several times and they wont tell me whats in it!

Matz
07-19-2005, 11:04 PM
slightly off topic, but does anyone know if the WORKS P2 can have a switchable map? I'd like to run a ~100 octane map for Infineon when I go back.

vtluu
07-20-2005, 12:25 AM
slightly off topic, but does anyone know if the WORKS P2 can have a switchable map? I'd like to run a ~100 octane map for Infineon when I go back.
You'd have to flash it one way and flash it back... which I'm sure Tyler will be happy to do... for a fee... ;)

If there were enough free space in the ECU flash memory to store 2 sets of maps (I haven't looked at the memory dump data so I don't know if there is), and some way to get an external input for the switch (or maybe some special "signal" like turning the ignition to "on" with the accelerator mashed or something like that, that it can already detect), and someone did a heck of a programming job on the ECU, it could be done. That, or keep around two ECUs, each with a different map (don't laugh, I've thought about it).

Short of that if you want switchable maps you'll need a standalone or piggyback ECU.

Matz
07-20-2005, 07:25 AM
You'd have to flash it one way and flash it back... which I'm sure Tyler will be happy to do... for a fee... ;)

If there were enough free space in the ECU flash memory to store 2 sets of maps (I haven't looked at the memory dump data so I don't know if there is), and some way to get an external input for the switch (or maybe some special "signal" like turning the ignition to "on" with the accelerator mashed or something like that, that it can already detect), and someone did a heck of a programming job on the ECU, it could be done. That, or keep around two ECUs, each with a different map (don't laugh, I've thought about it).

Short of that if you want switchable maps you'll need a standalone or piggyback ECU.

Ok, thanks for the info. I don't know anything about the Evo ECU, but on Hondas you could use a 512k flash chip, and then use a switch to toggle the MSB of the address bus to effectively switch between two 256k maps. Does the Evo store the fuel map in a PROM of some kind, or is it in the microcontroller itself?

It sure would be nice to use 91 or 100 octane gas... maybe I should get the FCon VPro as my next upgrade, if it can do such a thing.

evo_dadi
07-20-2005, 07:33 AM
get another ecu :wink: :twisted:

Matz
07-20-2005, 07:38 AM

But after spending $600 or so on the P2, I don't want to give it up yet. :) Since the FCon VPro can actually piggyback, that's my next best option, since I can get it for way under a thousand and my cousin's shop is an HKS authorized tuner. I could just enable it only when I'm at the track or something...

vtluu
07-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Does the Evo store the fuel map in a PROM of some kind, or is it in the microcontroller itself?
I took apart my ECU last year to find out; the Evo's PROM and microcontroller are integrated into a single VLSI package:

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album50/0002_G.sized.jpg

Matz
07-20-2005, 09:48 AM
Does the Evo store the fuel map in a PROM of some kind, or is it in the microcontroller itself?
I took apart my ECU last year to find out; the Evo's PROM and microcontroller are integrated into a single VLSI package:

Thanks for posting that, I've always been curious... figures that they'd have the map and code in one package, since it's programmable over the OBD port. Oh well!

evo_dadi
07-20-2005, 09:35 PM

But after spending $600 or so on the P2, I don't want to give it up yet. :) Since the FCon VPro can actually piggyback, that's my next best option, since I can get it for way under a thousand and my cousin's shop is an HKS authorized tuner. I could just enable it only when I'm at the track or something...

nah i meant get another ecu to set up another map on it so you can just swap them out on the track.

Matz
07-20-2005, 11:47 PM
nah i meant get another ecu to set up another map on it so you can just swap them out on the track.

oh DUH! Dude you're a genius, I never even thought of that. :) But of course, the ECU + reflash will cost over $1000, right?

Jamie@WORKS
07-21-2005, 10:00 AM

oh DUH! Dude you're a genius, I never even thought of that. :) But of course, the ECU + reflash will cost over $1000, right?

Not to mention you'll need the MUT tool to synch up the keys each time you swap ECUs ;) WORKS understands your dilemma and we have been exploring possible solutions. Stay tuned for more details!

vtluu
07-21-2005, 11:00 AM
One thing I've wondered is if it would be possible (or practical) to adapt a DSM ECU to the Evo; those should be much easier to mod.

Jamie: if you had 2 ECUs you wanted to switch back and forth, wouldn't you only need need to program the immobilizer code once on each one?

evo_dadi
07-21-2005, 11:33 AM
One thing I've wondered is if it would be possible (or practical) to adapt a DSM ECU to the Evo; those should be much easier to mod.

Jamie: if you had 2 ECUs you wanted to switch back and forth, wouldn't you only need need to program the immobilizer code once on each one?

+1 curious about this also 8)

Matz
07-21-2005, 12:55 PM

+1 curious about this also 8)

Me too, what's the "immobilizer code"? I will have to do some searching.

Jamie@WORKS
07-21-2005, 03:23 PM

Unforunately, it's not that easy. It's my understanding that the immobilizer can only synch up with one ECU and needs to be reprogrammed any time there is a swap involved.

A 2G DSM ECU will physically plug into an EVO, but there are a number of changes beyond that. I know of someone using a 2G ECU along with DSMlink, but has a few kinks to work out of the system.