PDA

View Full Version : PF 2 piece rotors

Evo442
07-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Someone on here was trying out some PF 2 piece rotors... any updates or longer term comments?

wilson1
07-19-2005, 08:23 PM
It's ob4!

methods4
07-20-2005, 08:57 AM
Earlyapex and I have the PF 2pc rotors.

I have not been to a track event with them yet. Earlyapex has done two events with them now.

As far as street driving, the only difference is they make a faint whirring sound. Probably because of the dimpled rotor combined with 2pc construction. It's not like an annoying sound, almost sounds like when you're on a 10spd bike and just coasting. Bzzzzzzzzz.

Edit: RRE sells them for $590. Great deal.

earlyapex
07-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Earlyapex has done two events with them now.

Three events and 2 sets of pads. :)

I love them, I haven't had any problem whatsoever, they work and haven't warped or done weird things other than surface cracks which is normal for my kamikaze driving style. :)

They even survived mondays 100+ degree thunderhill hell day without a hitch.

Evo442
07-20-2005, 03:45 PM

I love them, I haven't had any problem whatsoever, they work and haven't warped or done weird things other than surface cracks which is normal for my kamikaze driving style. :)

Cool. Thanks! What pads are you running?

earlyapex
07-20-2005, 03:55 PM

Cool. Thanks! What pads are you running?

PF 95.7's in the front. I actually slightly faded them on monday since I am running Toyo RA1's now. Wasn't a bad fade, the pedal just traveled twice as far before it bit. But in the heat of that day, I am surpised my whole car didn't fade.

Gruppe-S
07-20-2005, 04:56 PM
The PF rotors are great for track. I was actually amazed when I saw them in person the first time.

Tom

bdking57
07-22-2005, 01:44 PM
are these overkill for autox? I dont mind spending the money for nice rotors if they are going to give me some benefit.

Evo442
07-22-2005, 01:48 PM
are these overkill for autox? I dont mind spending the money for nice rotors if they are going to give me some benefit.

I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but with the limited amount of driving done in a typical auto-x event, I dont see much benefit from 2 piece rotors...

bdking57
07-22-2005, 03:05 PM
what about the weight reduction off the front end? These save 7lbs per corner? 14lbs.. when you include other things like relocating the battery those little amounts add up... so these dont actually increase braking performance correct? plus what is the deal with lighter rotors and decreasing unsprung weight?

ob4
07-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Hi earlyapex or methods4,

Did you guys find out the cost for the replacement rotors?

Thanks,
ob4

bdking57
07-22-2005, 05:25 PM
the girodisc replacement rotors are 135 just for refrence.. hard to choose between these discs and girodiscs.. the giros are around $50 dollars less.. they are slotted 2pc same weight etc. plus the ferrari guys seem to trust them.

earlyapex
07-22-2005, 06:00 PM
IMHO, you don't need them in autox unless you really want to save every ounce of weight. The stock rotors will be fine for stopping with upgraded pads.

The 2 piece is really used for its heat-shedding, replacement ease, and weight.

I'm not sure on cost of rotor ring replacement as I haven't had to yet.

vtluu
07-22-2005, 06:54 PM
Re: auto-x, note that these will put you in SM (if you're not already there), as they're not legal for stock (duh) or ESP.

Soon, real soon... :twisted:

bdking57
07-22-2005, 07:31 PM
ahh.. thanks for the heads up. Im in SM now because of boost control and my marshalspec crotch plate( which i don even think is SM legal). Im going to wait and see is boost controll is allowed next year in esp.. if so im going to have the car prepped for ESP instead of SM.

vtluu
07-22-2005, 11:47 PM
ahh.. thanks for the heads up. Im in SM now because of boost control and my marshalspec crotch plate( which i don even think is SM legal). Im going to wait and see is boost controll is allowed next year in esp.. if so im going to have the car prepped for ESP instead of SM.
Yeah, any kind of triangulated or cross-brace will put you in Modified class, I believe E-Modified. On the bright side, you'll probably win because there are so few cars in EM and you won't be facing any competition. On the other hand, if any other EM car shows up you'll lose because these are fully-prepped, trailered autocross cars--stripped interiors, no windshields, no headlights, weight reduced to below 2000 lbs, etc.

bdking57
07-23-2005, 09:47 AM
so EM is up from SM? so its advisable to ditch the cross bracing.. hmm.. replacement rotors are ok? just not two piece floating rotors?...My other question would be if an upgrade FMIC is ok.. thats the only other piece im looking at.

Evo442
07-23-2005, 08:14 PM
the girodisc replacement rotors are 135 just for refrence.. hard to choose between these discs and girodiscs.. the giros are around $50 dollars less.. they are slotted 2pc same weight etc. plus the ferrari guys seem to trust them.

Nice thing about the girodiscs is that they make a set of 2 piece rotors for the rear as well - in case you dont like your front and rear rotors looking mismatched.

vtluu
10-01-2005, 10:01 AM
bdking57: be aware that 2-piece rotors aren't allowed in Street Prepared (unless the stock rotors were 2-piece).

For people with the PF 2-piece rotors, does someone still have the instructions that came with them? I need the torque spec for the nuts/screws that hold the 2 pieces together.

methods4
10-01-2005, 01:49 PM
bdking57: be aware that 2-piece rotors aren't allowed in Street Prepared (unless the stock rotors were 2-piece).

For people with the PF 2-piece rotors, does someone still have the instructions that came with them? I need the torque spec for the nuts/screws that hold the 2 pieces together.

Sorry Tam, I do not. I didn't even know that I had instructions in my box. :P

Edit: Did you find replacement discs or something?

earlyapex
10-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Edit: Did you find replacement discs or something?

this is his first set of PF rotors.

vtluu
10-01-2005, 02:33 PM
this is his first set of PF rotors.
:lol: No, I figured out which side was which and all. It's just I took them apart to get the rotors cryogenically treated and wanted to know the torque spec when putting them back together. I ended up using 25 N-m (18.4 ft-lbs) which seemed reasonable.

MarkSAE
10-01-2005, 02:57 PM
:lol: No, I figured out which side was which and all. It's just I took them apart to get the rotors cryogenically treated and wanted to know the torque spec when putting them back together. I ended up using 25 N-m (18.4 ft-lbs) which seemed reasonable.

What size screws are they? You can look up recommended torque specs if you know the size, thread pitch, and material of the screw and also the material that the screw threads into. But the recommended values can vary depending on application. So you're probably better off calling PF and finding out what they use. ;) These are your brakes after all.

earlyapex
10-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Call the place that sold them to you?

leaveit2bevo
12-24-2005, 09:20 PM
I hate to bump something so old but cant find any other info...... how are these holding up for the track junkies? its still decideding between these and the racing brakes.