PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera and Camera Mount

hagakure
07-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Hey Guys,

Thinkuing of getting a camera and camera mount before T-hill on 8/18 with NASA. I'm totally technologically illiterate concerning video equipment. Can a Digital Hi-8 Camera work for what I'm trying to do? Also, how do you download/convert the digital info so that it can be viewed with Windows Media (WMV)? Folks that have cameras and mounts please help.

Percy

bdking57
07-22-2005, 08:09 PM
I used a cannon g5 digital camera with a large memory car...can hold about 10 minutes of video when cleared. the mount is from speewaremotorsports.. not sure if that helps at all just throwing out some ideas. I also found a great digital editor that comes with a 30 day free trial. I was able to easy edit and compress the videos from avi to some sorta codec??? :shock: not sure but it was easy

Cameron@xperformance
07-22-2005, 10:41 PM
do you have a harness bar?

vtluu
07-22-2005, 10:56 PM
I have an I/O Port camera mount bolted to my rollbar cross brace (it can also be clamped to the harness bar); it's $110 from ioport.com, $100 locally at Bell Motorsports (bellmotorsports.com) or $89 if you order it from Bell Motorsports over the phone (plus shipping I guess).

http://www.ioportracing.com/images/product/cm1.jpg

I had a Canon ZR60 mini-DV video camera I used, but the shock of going off sideways at SOWS damaged it (now it glitches regularly while recording) so I'm experimenting with solid-state MPEG4 video cameras and have one on order. I'll let you know how it works out...

vtluu
07-22-2005, 11:27 PM
http://www.chasecam.com/ has some high-quality video solutions with reasonable (though not exactly cheap) prices.

dohcvtec
07-23-2005, 01:07 AM
I have a somewhat old Sony Digital8. It works great and I'm sure you can find them for cheap now. I'm using a suction cup mount, but since you have a roll cage I would get the one Tam has. For video capture I use Vegas Video, which can also create the .wmv files. Your PC has to have an IEEE 1394 port (firewire).

EVO GRIM
07-23-2005, 07:06 AM
Get something with usb or firewire so you dont have to buy something to bridge between computer and camera. Sony makes one for like 300 at circuit city.

Stormtrooper
07-23-2005, 07:46 AM
let me know if you guys need flash cards..... I work for a manufacturer that makes the most durable cards out there and I can probably hook it up =D

-Jeff

bdking57
07-23-2005, 09:48 AM
we most definately need flash cards! lol the bigger the better! Do they make a 1 gig flash card yet? I could probably film all day with one of those. Id like to take a nice scenic driver down carmel valley road and record it all.

vtluu
07-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Do they make a 1 gig flash card yet?
SD cards are up to 1GB and CompactFlash is up to 4GB. And yes, I could definitely use a couple 1GB SD cards! Please hook me up Jeff! :bow:

bdking57
07-23-2005, 03:42 PM
If i get my hands on some 1GB flash cards i will have some awesome vids up!