PDA

View Full Version : Infineon Raceway, August 5th!!

TylerO@WORKS
07-25-2005, 12:10 PM
"EXTREMELY HOT!!! We just picked-up Friday, August 5th at Sears Point/ Infineon Raceway!! We have 2 weeks to fill this!!!

http://www.trackmasters-racing.com/

Matz
07-25-2005, 01:16 PM
"EXTREMELY HOT!!! We just picked-up Friday, August 5th at Sears Point/ Infineon Raceway!! We have 2 weeks to fill this!!!

http://www.trackmasters-racing.com/

Hmm... I've only had one day of instruction, but feel like I could run in group B. However, I could totally be on the crack pipe and not be good enough. Can someone tell me the differences between B and C class? I'd love to try to run on 8/5 if I can get the day off.

vtluu
07-25-2005, 02:11 PM
I'm gonna wait until later in the year. I'd like to get at least one "clean" track day first--on every single one of my 9 track days so far I've been (4-wheels) off exactly once every single day. Usually nothing major, I overcook a turn and end up having to drive it off when I realize I'm not going to make it. It's never happened more than once a day, but no less either. And the cause isn't always the same. I can't explain it. Regardless it's not really the kind of thing I can afford to have happen at a track like Sears Point.

Matz
07-25-2005, 02:22 PM
I'm gonna wait until later in the year. I'd like to get at least one "clean" track day first--on every single one of my 9 track days so far I've been (4-wheels) off exactly once every single day. Usually nothing major, I overcook a turn and end up having to drive it off when I realize I'm not going to make it. It's never happened more than once a day, but no less either. And the cause isn't always the same. I can't explain it. Regardless it's not really the kind of thing I can afford to have happen at a track like Sears Point.

I guess I don't push the car as hard as you do, then? Maybe I can't run in class B since I'm too slow? :) But honestly, I don't think Sears Point is as bad as you think it is... the walls are pretty far away from the track. Personally, Laguna Seca scares me the most. Even though I've never driven there, I know I'd crash. :)

hagakure
07-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Tam,

If you don't mind the input.....

You posted a video of you at Fernley, and it appeared that your driving was fairly smooth, but you CONSISTENTLY early -apexed every turn, and I'm guessing that's why you wnt off. Early apexing and carrrying too much speed into corner entry will result in some offs. I've gone off track once in 9 events, and was lucky enough that the off was a BIG spin at Buttonwillow with a very good instructor in the car, and we spent the rest of the day correcting the tendency to early apex and enter the corner too fast...cured me! So, not criticism, but a possible observation.

Percy

hagakure
07-25-2005, 02:24 PM

I guess I don't push the car as hard as you do, then? Maybe I can't run in class B since I'm too slow? :) But honestly, I don't think Sears Point is as bad as you think it is... the walls are pretty far away from the track. Personally, Laguna Seca scares me the most. Even though I've never driven there, I know I'd crash. :)

I'm going to Infineon for the 2 day NASA event in October....I'm going to drop down to NASA group 2 for that event, as I do not know the track...am looking forward to it though!

Percy

vtluu
07-25-2005, 02:27 PM
You posted a video of you at Fernley, and it appeared that your driving was fairly smooth, but you CONSISTENTLY early -apexed every turn, and I'm guessing that's why you wnt off. Early apexing and carrrying too much speed into corner entry will result in some offs. I've gone off track once in 9 events, and was lucky enough that the off was a BIG spin at Buttonwillow with a very good instructor in the car, and we spent the rest of the day correcting the tendency to early apex and enter the corner too fast...cured me! So, not criticism, but a possible observation.
Fair enough; I think the video was from SOWS, not Reno (I only had the camera in the car for 1 session at Reno, and it wasn't mine). I'm in this murky middle ground now where I can drive a consistent line, and drive correct line--if shown how--but still have difficulty finding the right line. At Willow Springs a few weeks ago I was actually choosing apexes that were generally later than ideal. So maybe I overcompensated.

Kirk@works
07-25-2005, 02:49 PM
If you are not familiar w/ Infineon(Sears), just drop down a group until you are comfortable with the track.

Though I usaully run in Group 4 HPDE w/ NASA, I'm planning to run with the Intermediate group at the Trackmaster Event on 8/5.

Evo442
07-25-2005, 02:50 PM
Wow, i wish I had know about this earlier. will be at thill that day

hagakure
07-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Fair enough; I think the video was from SOWS, not Reno (I only had the camera in the car for 1 session at Reno, and it wasn't mine). I'm in this murky middle ground now where I can drive a consistent line, and drive correct line--if shown how--but still have difficulty finding the right line. At Willow Springs a few weeks ago I was actually choosing apexes that were generally later than ideal. So maybe I overcompensated.

It was SOW....

Right on Tam. Part of it is....cornily enough, into a "zen-like" space with the driving, and trust your ability to accept the generic truth of all race tracks: Use the entire track, the line is outside-inside-outside, slow in, fast out, etc.....this has helped me. I also think it has helped that I raced bicycles for 10 years strangely enough...apexing, etc did not seem so foriegn!!

Percy

Matz
07-25-2005, 03:53 PM
If you are not familiar w/ Infineon(Sears), just drop down a group until you are comfortable with the track.

Though I usaully run in Group 4 HPDE w/ NASA, I'm planning to run with the Intermediate group at the Trackmaster Event on 8/5.

Though I've only driven the track once, I feel really comfortable there, and I think I know how to take each turn (mostly) correctly. If I start in group C, can I just move into group B if I'm driving better than expected?

Matz
07-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Right on Tam. Part of it is....cornily enough, into a "zen-like" space with the driving, and trust your ability to accept the generic truth of all race tracks: Use the entire track, the line is outside-inside-outside, slow in, fast out, etc.....this has helped me. I also think it has helped that I raced bicycles for 10 years strangely enough...apexing, etc did not seem so foriegn!!

Cool... for me, it's been playing racing video games for years. Well, I think it's helped... :lol:

smack
07-25-2005, 04:01 PM
early apexes are definitely a great way to run out of track quick if you carry a bit too much speed. you can run that way you just really need to work up to the speed you can carry through the corner. so either change your line or lose some entry speed.
i do think that in a race situation early is better so you don't leave the "door" open too long.
you keep someone from diving under you and you force an outside move. or at least for
them to have to get a great run off the corner to get past you on the straight.

hagakure
07-25-2005, 04:38 PM
early apexes are definitely a great way to run out of track quick if you carry a bit too much speed. you can run that way you just really need to work up to the speed you can carry through the corner. so either change your line or lose some entry speed.
i do think that in a race situation early is better so you don't leave the "door" open too long.
you keep someone from diving under you and you force an outside move. or at least for
them to have to get a great run off the corner to get past you on the straight.

I agree that in a racing situation earlier can be faster....but probably rarely in a time trial situation. In qualifying you will usually see fast racers taking the "traditional" Late apex line around the track.

Percy

smack
07-25-2005, 05:17 PM
I agree that in a racing situation earlier can be faster....but probably rarely in a time trial situation. In qualifying you will usually see fast racers taking the "traditional" Late apex line around the track.
Percy
totally agree. i think you get a better run off the corners going late. possible exceptions would be low hp cars (think miata) where you don't have any torque so you really need to flatten out the corners as much as possible to carry as much speed as you can.

Matz
07-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Cool, I got the okay from the bosses at work and at home, so I'm in for 8/5! I registered as a Class C driver, but asked Doug if I can run as an intermediate.

I'm looking forward to seeing you guys there! It will be cool to see what crazy stuff you guys have in your cars.

Matz
07-26-2005, 02:39 PM
Cool, I got the okay from the bosses at work and at home, so I'm in for 8/5! I registered as a Class C driver, but asked Doug if I can run as an intermediate.

I'm looking forward to seeing you guys there! It will be cool to see what crazy stuff you guys have in your cars.

Dammit, now I don't know if I'll be able to go. Apparently, they think I may not be qualified to run with the rest of the people. Lame.

cokofellah
07-26-2005, 04:00 PM
It is not as simple as you think....
For those who are really serious, get a book on racing (not autobiographies OK), get a coach, learn the "the three corners" (Sears, btw, has examples of these corners..great track).
I am sharing this through experience. Skill, is a low percentage of the whole picture. In my opinion, driving around a racetrack without knowing why you're apexing early here, or apexing late there - is basically driving without a purpose.....dangerous.
Remember, there are only 2 types of people in this sport....those who've crashed, and those who are about to crash. Something to think about when driving a $30K+ toy.

It was SOW....

Percy

hagakure
07-26-2005, 04:29 PM
It is not as simple as you think....
For those who are really serious, get a book on racing (not autobiographies OK), get a coach, learn the "the three corners" (Sears, btw, has examples of these corners..great track).
I am sharing this through experience. Skill, is a low percentage of the whole picture. In my opinion, driving around a racetrack without knowing why you're apexing early here, or apexing late there - is basically driving without a purpose.....dangerous.
Remember, there are only 2 types of people in this sport....those who've crashed, and those who are about to crash. Something to think about when driving a $30K+ toy.

It was SOW....

Percy

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree. I have 10 track days under my belt, and consider myself an intermediate, and I remember the charge I got after doing fairly well at t-hill the 2nd time out (according to my instructor, but I was still making tons of mistakes), and it's easy to want to do too much too fast. This is a dangerous and challenging sport, and it's best to be slow and methodical, even if you have a little bit of natural talent. I feel that I have benefited greatly from more seat time, as well as Reading "Going Faster", and Henry Watt's "Secrets of Solo Racing", both EXCELLENT texts on the art of performance driving. It is absolutely necessary to know why you are doing what you are doing on a race track if you want to go faster SAFELY. So, no need to rush it, there is plenty of time!

Percy

hagakure
07-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Also,

In my earlier posts, I did not mean to imply that there was anything "simple" about being on a racetrack at all...I was just giving my limited observations of what might be contributing to a consistent experience of puting four wheels off. I know that it's always just a matter of time when you are in a car moving at a high rate of speed on a racetrack. But I DO think that there are a lot of things you can do to limit the possibilityt hat that is going to happen. Just my 2 cents.

Percy

Matz
08-02-2005, 11:05 PM
Ok ok so who here at NCE is going to the TrackMasters event on Friday? So far it looks like:

1. Me - Group 4
2. Kirk from WORKS - Group 4

Anyone else?