PDA

View Full Version : Bling on a budget: DIY powdercoating!

vtluu
08-10-2005, 02:19 PM
For those of us who don't really have any other use for the kitchen oven ;):

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=458

Not sure I'd trust myself to coat structural pieces where temperature control is critical, but this seems kinda nifty. Anyone tried it?

Cameron@xperformance
08-10-2005, 02:27 PM
i really need to powdercoat my rims. rite now 3 of my rims are different colors :(

vtluu
08-10-2005, 02:29 PM
i really need to powdercoat my rims. rite now 3 of my rims are different colors :(
Start your own powdercoating business on the side! Extreme Performance Blingin' Services! :lol:

Anyway rims should be painted, not powdercoated. But at least yours will fit in a toaster oven. ;)

Cameron@xperformance
08-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Start your own powdercoating business on the side! Extreme Performance Blingin' Services! :lol:
hahaha, the guys next door already do bling-bling

chrisw
08-10-2005, 04:40 PM

yeah, but you will corner the market bling bling for go-karts :lol:

Cameron@xperformance
08-10-2005, 04:58 PM

yeah, but you will corner the market bling bling for go-karts :lol:
now your talking! :lol:

zyounker
08-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Ok a few things..

DO NOT DO THIS IN YOUR HOME OVEN!!! the fumes are not healthy.. Also once you use this in an oven you will never be able to use it for cooking again.

A household oven is not able to powder coat rims.. they will not come out right.. And it will look like crap.

Now that said.. for small little parts or IC piping it works pretty well.. even for valve covers and stuff...

You just need a household oven in a garage or something that you never plan on using for food again.

vtluu
08-10-2005, 06:07 PM
What, you don't like your cookies powdercoated? :lol:

Thanks for the advice; they say you can use a toaster oven (which you can buy for next to nothing) for smaller parts though I guess those have even worse temperature control. I noticed they also have IR heater lamps to use for bigger parts--you use the lamp to cure the part one small area at a time, have you had any experience with those?

zyounker
08-11-2005, 11:17 AM
No, I have only used household ovens and huge ones the size of a garage.

The problem i think with a toaster oven is you want to suspend the part on a wire while baking it.. not sure there would be room for this.. if you have it touching the gril on the bottom, it is gonna screw the finish and possibly make clumps where it was touching.

As for the IR heat lamps.. With some of the metalic or 2 part powder coats i bet it would make an uneven color. Those are really hard to get right, and even harder to reproduce.. Everytime you do them they come out a little different. but for something like a solid color they would probably work fine.

vtluu
08-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Ah, okay. I'll just line my garage with ceramic tiles and buy a thousand space heaters. :lol:

zyounker
08-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Ah, okay. I'll just line my garage with ceramic tiles and buy a thousand space heaters. :lol:

hahha... we just use to pick up ovens on people were throwing away.. These
are usually easy to come by. Maybe post something on the fun list.

Its easy to run 220 in your garage.

-Zach

EVIL EVO 8
08-12-2005, 03:31 PM
I work at a metal fab co.We do powder coating and from time to time we have pc wheels you would never be able to do this at your house not just the 1000 sq ft oven would be the prob but you need all the right chemicals in a practically dust free spray booth to work right so good luck.ship them here ill do it cheap

cleanevo
08-28-2005, 07:09 AM
I have used this eastwood powdercoating kit for the past 7 years , I found a pretty big size Industrial oven for 100$ All i can say that is this kit works out great , For any the do it your self type of guys , this kit is for you .