PDA

View Full Version : Moving to NorCal, will I be harassed?

osunick
08-10-2005, 08:51 PM
OK, so we've all heard of getting busted for Driving While Asian, I just want to know if it's something I need to worry about. I have a 2.5" dp, and a Buschur catback that is fairly loud. I still have the stock cat and have no intention of replacing it. I live in Detroit now where the cops have better things to do than crack down on law abiding citizens. Do I have something to worry about in NorCal? Should I buy the quieter MagnaFlow muffler for my exhaust?

Thanks in advance...

evo_dadi
08-10-2005, 09:04 PM
it actually depends in the area also.i run catless and i live down the chp office and yet they dont bother me *knocks on wood*

Matz
08-10-2005, 09:20 PM
I've never had a problem, but I had the WORKS exhaust that is really quiet. I talked to evoredy before, and he's been pulled over in San Jose for his Buschur exhaust. When I first heard it, it didn't seem too bad, but when he drove off, I realized that yeah, the BR exhaust is pretty damn loud after all.

LEVIII
08-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Where in Norcal are you moving to and what brings you here?

osunick
08-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Where in Norcal are you moving to and what brings you here?

Somewhere in the peninsula or south bay... coming to work for Yahoo! as a Product Manager.

evo743
08-10-2005, 10:47 PM
I have the hks 30th, and its one of the most quiet exhausts ive ever had on a car, and i still get harassed... and im a cop :shock: It really depends on the community. If its in the city, i wouldnt worry about it to much- believe me, cops have better things to do. But if its in an affluent suburb or gated community-- please expect to have problems(they have nothing better to do). Thats just the way it goes... :wink:

MitsuMan
08-10-2005, 11:07 PM
just don't stand out short shift when you see cops and never let your guard down believe my you better get ready. no stickers!!!!! and all under hood mods better have a C.A.R.B. sticker cause if your get stopped with that exhaust you'll have to pop your hood CHP don't go so much for the equipment violations but I've had it happen twice
also your race and age and gender have a big say in how much the cop will bother you

beleeed dat :o

LEVIII
08-10-2005, 11:29 PM
- believe me, cops have better things to do.

As a cop, do you think this will be the case even with all the new money allocated in Sacramento. I dont street race and I dont really speed, I always make sure someone is going faster then me, but I feel like my car sticks out from the rest and like having my mods on my car.

evo_dadi
08-11-2005, 12:22 AM
I have the hks 30th, and its one of the most quiet exhausts ive ever had on a car, and i still get harassed... and im a cop :shock: It really depends on the community. If its in the city, i wouldnt worry about it to much- believe me, cops have better things to do. But if its in an affluent suburb or gated community-- please expect to have problems(they have nothing better to do). Thats just the way it goes... :wink:

man ive been to chowchilla a few times now and i still havent spotted you there :lol:

Unowned
08-11-2005, 07:14 AM

So what happens when the cop that pulls you over, finds out you're also a Cop?

Matz
08-11-2005, 07:26 AM
So what happens when the cop that pulls you over, finds out you're also a Cop?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I hope that the police officers out there that drive Evos, modified or not, will help spread the word that not everyone that drives this car is a street racing punk.

osunick
08-11-2005, 08:03 AM
My car is modded, but only because I do HPDE's and I never drive like a punk on the street, nor do I tamper with my emissions equipment. The question is how to convince the cop that this is the case. You all have convinced me to get the magnaflow muffler for my exhaust.. it should arrive tomorrow. I'll peel the quaife and buschur stickers off next week. Can I leave my Emperor sticker on? :)

dohcvtec
08-11-2005, 11:08 AM
My car is modded, but only because I do HPDE's
You'll love NorCal then, we have some great road courses up here :) See you at the track

Matz
08-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Can I leave my Emperor sticker on? :)

You're joking, right? :lol:

osunick
08-11-2005, 01:13 PM

Actually I have one. Since no one around here (Metro Detroit) knows what it is, it's a funny injoke to me and the cognoscenti... it's on my rear window so I think most people think it's the name of a band or something.

kikosurf
08-11-2005, 04:55 PM
hey thats tight where can i get that sticker?

osunick
08-11-2005, 08:06 PM
hey thats tight where can i get that sticker?

I got mine from squaredirect but it looks like the site is down...it's basically this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Initial-D-Emperor-Evolution-EVO-Lancer-Vinyl-Decal_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50449QQitemZ79920 98907QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

lancerboy
08-11-2005, 08:54 PM

Actually I have one. Since no one around here (Metro Detroit) knows what it is, it's a funny injoke to me and the cognoscenti... it's on my rear window so I think most people think it's the name of a band or something.so what is Emperor? in the Philippines, evo enthusiast named there club Emperor.

redtydsf
08-11-2005, 09:17 PM

Actually I have one. Since no one around here (Metro Detroit) knows what it is, it's a funny injoke to me and the cognoscenti... it's on my rear window so I think most people think it's the name of a band or something.so what is Emperor? in the Philippines, evo enthusiast named there club Emperor.

welcome to the YAY :twisted:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/redtydsf/2.jpg

kikosurf
08-11-2005, 09:37 PM
thats hella tight i'm def getting a couple of those (one in each side) i dont care if its rice or not i think its tight

Matz
08-11-2005, 09:45 PM
thats hella tight i'm def getting a couple of those (one in each side) i dont care if its rice or not i think its tight

Personally, I'd rather get the Thunder and Night Kids stickers, cut them in half with a razor, and then stick them on the side of my wing.

osunick
08-12-2005, 04:31 AM
YOu don't need an emperor sticker for each side, I think they run the sticker on the rear window on the top left.... if you're going to be a geek might as well do it right ;)

redtydsf
08-12-2005, 03:13 PM
how about an i-club sticker cut in half...just f'n around, i gotta lotta luv for scoobys. BUT yea what about it :lol:

MitsuMan
08-12-2005, 04:45 PM

Actually I have one. Since no one around here (Metro Detroit) knows what it is, it's a funny injoke to me and the cognoscenti... it's on my rear window so I think most people think it's the name of a band or something.
yea keep it on dude thats sweet It helps give that JDM look

methods4
08-12-2005, 05:35 PM
from initial d...inspiration for future and past evo owners, come on some of you know it's cool, you know you like it :P welcome to the YAY :twisted:

Speak for yourself mang. I can't believe cartoons are your inspiration for having an Evo. :(

redtydsf
08-13-2005, 06:29 PM
from initial d...inspiration for future and past evo owners, come on some of you know it's cool, you know you like it :P welcome to the YAY :twisted:

Speak for yourself mang. I can't believe cartoons are your inspiration for having an Evo. :(

man is there anyway i can take that statement back :oops:

osunick
08-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Hey... anyone know where I should take my car to be inspected? I need to get CA plates when my car arrives. It has the stock cat so it should pass smog but I have no idea if the catback exhaust or the apexi intake will be a problem. Thanks in advance for any advice...

vtluu
08-19-2005, 11:10 PM
Hey... anyone know where I should take my car to be inspected? I need to get CA plates when my car arrives. It has the stock cat so it should pass smog but I have no idea if the catback exhaust or the apexi intake will be a problem. Thanks in advance for any advice...
Unless the intake is CARB-exempt (or stock, of course) it will fail visual inspection.

osunick
08-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Unless the intake is CARB-exempt (or stock, of course) it will fail visual inspection.

what about my exhaust? Will I have to change that back to stock as well? Also, who does the inspection? The DMV?

L84AD8
08-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Your catback should be ok!!! There is a 95 db limit for it as well. I think the Apexi intake has to be CARB legal. Check the Apexi website to see if it is.