PDA

View Full Version : k&n or hks?

SilverBullet
02-27-2004, 02:39 AM
whats better K&N or HKS drop-in air filter :?:

vtluu
02-27-2004, 02:55 AM
I hear they're about the same, though one is paper and the other foam and more easily cleaned/reused... (?) I had one on order but it took forever to come in so I cancelled it. I've heard it gives you a bit faster spool but you trade off some low-end torque and power in the process--bad for me since it helps to have low-end power for auto-x.

evo_dadi
02-27-2004, 07:10 AM
go with the k&n since ive noticed the foam filter gets a little to dry and they've been known to crumble. you dont want those getting inside of your engine now.

vtluu
02-27-2004, 11:34 AM
:shock: Thanks for the tip Marcel!

RonV
03-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Has anyone documented that the HKS panel filter actually makes more HP?

I think Shiv said that it messes with the MAS signal. I can't find the thread though....

Any thoughts?

Shiv?

nebolic
03-07-2004, 12:20 AM
i think shiv was recommending the stock filter, cuz he said the oil from the k&n might mess the MAF, thats what he suggested to me when i had my car flashed at his place.

AlwayzEVOlving
03-07-2004, 01:48 AM
I am running an HKS super filter and so far so good. I feel like it spools little faster and I get a little better (smoother) pull in the upper revs 6500++ I will have to watch it I guess to make sure the is no premature deterioration. Thanks for the heads-up Evo-Dadi!

AlwayzEVOlving
03-07-2004, 01:55 AM
as a former owner of 2 "fives" I can say...NICE SIGNATURE RonV!

evo_dadi
03-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Has anyone documented that the HKS panel filter actually makes more HP?

dont know if anybody tested the difference with the foam and paper element filter but imo the filter would flow more since the characteristcs of foam has more holes to go thru but captures small particles.as with the paper element filter it would have a tighter weave making it thus can capture smaller particles but i think the flow would be more harder. but the plus side of the paper is it has more longevity than foam.

RonV
03-07-2004, 06:39 PM
as a former owner of 2 "fives" I can say...NICE SIGNATURE RonV!Right on.

I spent about 15 grand on that thing. It was a great car but my EVO is at whole different level. I feel like I'm driving around a rally car set up to kill Tarmac! :twisted:

howiEVO8
03-07-2004, 06:58 PM
bah they're about the same, a spoke with a few different vendors and they say as far as putting out HP, they're nearly identical...sure it spools up faster, but at what loss?

i can sure say that i lost a lot low-end torque, that's f'sho

david buschur
03-08-2004, 08:46 AM
We have a nice open element funnel ram style filter kit for the car. It eliminates the entire airbox and is only $65. This is the same filter kit we ran when our car ran 11.65 at 117.88 mph on the stock engine and turbo.