PDA

View Full Version : evo slow after air filter change?

redtydsf
08-17-2005, 07:31 PM
advice please :( i put on an open air element and now i hear mad spooling and car seems to have lost power, it's like it's taking in too much air...what's up with that? :x

Unowned
08-17-2005, 07:33 PM
i lost mid range Tq after installing AEM intake... but gained in the High end and decreased spool time... i have dynos before and after

MitsuMan
08-18-2005, 12:37 PM
if your using the k/n intake run it with the stock piping and you'll be fine for some reason the smooth piping messes up the MAF trust me this will fix your problem :!: :!: :!: :!: 8)

redtydsf
08-18-2005, 04:28 PM
if your using the k/n intake run it with the stock piping and you'll be fine for some reason the smooth piping messes up the MAF trust me this will fix your problem :!: :!: :!: :!: 8)

i'm running stock piping and connections are secure, maybe i'll go back to the box until i get tuned properly :(

MitsuMan
08-18-2005, 05:29 PM
do you have a boost gauge? is it spiking? what filter are you trying to use? thats really weird I experimented when I had problems and I ran the stock pipe w/ just the MAF and no filter at all and It ran good a filter on then end shouldn't/wouldn't make a difference very strange

redtydsf
08-18-2005, 05:50 PM
do you have a boost gauge? is it spiking? what filter are you trying to use? thats really weird I experimented when I had problems and I ran the stock pipe w/ just the MAF and no filter at all and It ran good a filter on then end shouldn't/wouldn't make a difference very strange
:oops: no boost guage yet, shoulda picked one up instead of a filter. I frickin suck!!

DaveLC2
10-23-2005, 09:17 AM
I always hear this with the Evo's. I know from personal experience on my old 02 Maxima when I installed an Injen cai I noticed a power drop as well as audible detonation on chevron/76 91. The inlet pipe was smokin hot and the location of the actual filter was just sucking hot air instead of cooler air from the fresh air duct leading to the plastic air box. After re-installing the stock airbox the power came back and the audible detonation went away and I sold it on ebay. On turbo cars it's even more crucial that the inlet air temp should be as cool as possible or you're just working against the intercooler. On Turbo Buicks if you can plumb your own intake system and place the filter in front of the radiator there are big gains to be had.

Dave