PDA

View Full Version : bike racks for the evo ???

GokuSSJ4
08-18-2005, 09:28 AM
I need to purchase a bike rack for the evo, which would you guys recommend ??
Also i'm considering snow boarding (for the winter) just in case they have a multi purpouse rack. Something that holds 2 bikes..

jomama
08-18-2005, 09:53 AM
i also would like to know since i bought a new mountain bike over the weekend. i had to put the wheels in the trunk and the frame on the back seat which was a real hassle.

Jamie@WORKS
08-18-2005, 10:03 AM
I use the Yakima system (on the other car) and it does a fine job. I haven't strapped anything to the EVO and can't comment specifically on it, but I do have friends using it (and also Thule) without complaint.

dohcvtec
08-18-2005, 10:24 AM
I have a Yakima rack for my Evo with the snowboard attachments. I got the one for the 04 regular lancer. It works great, I love it. I know the Yakima racks have many attachments you can use (ie: bike rack attachment) on their base rack.

GokuSSJ4
08-18-2005, 11:23 AM
my friend is currently using a Yakima rack which fits the evo (made for a 4dr lancer) I'm trying to get as much info as possible. I like the fact that Yakima sells different attachments (wether its snowboarding, skiing or bike riding) . Anyone else with different options or links ???

evolyphics8
08-18-2005, 11:37 AM
I just bought a thule rear trunk rack yesterday at REI for my road bike. I'm not too crazy for the look of a roof rack and wanted something removable without much hassle. The Thule works fine, however the metal clips are too thick to hook onto the trunk so I routed them to hook inside the trunk. This way it is more secure. The only downside...it only holds bikes.

Navid@xperformance
08-18-2005, 01:21 PM
I carry Thule at my shop. They have a listing for Lancer 4dr and they offer all the attachments you need. I like the square bars on the Thule better than the round bars of Yakima. I also like the slick attachments and the locking mechanism on the Thule better.

--Navid

nut_tool
08-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Anybody tried a roof rack on the 05's with aluminum roofs (MR and RS models)?

GokuSSJ4
08-20-2005, 08:36 PM
i believe you are able to completly remove the roof rack with no problems, i need to look into it a bit more (looking at my friend's car this weekend)

earlyapex
08-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Anybody tried a roof rack on the 05's with aluminum roofs (MR and RS models)?

Most racks don't have anything actually mounting or putting pressure on the roof area. They usually grab onto the "rail" area between the roof and the little rain gutters.

Like this:

http://www.20v.org/thule.jpg

ogvw
08-21-2005, 10:53 AM
http://www.revolvercams.com/jason/rack1.jpg

IMO this is the only way to run a bike rack on the Evo.......

made mine from a universal Hitch adapter.

http://www.revolvercams.com/jason/rack3.jpg

panem
12-07-2005, 01:25 PM
is there anyone that has a snowboard rack that i can borrow for this weekend?

panem
12-07-2005, 08:10 PM
anyone????

turbotiger
12-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Getting a tow hitch is really the best way to go, for bikes, especially MR's with the aluminum roof. Owner's manual on MR's say you should not use a roof rack. The part that the roof racks put downward pressure on the MR's is aluminum.

panem
12-09-2005, 07:20 PM
just for the weekend

dohcvtec
12-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Getting a tow hitch is really the best way to go, for bikes, especially MR's with the aluminum roof. Owner's manual on MR's say you should not use a roof rack. The part that the roof racks put downward pressure on the MR's is aluminum.
Actually they don't. The part of the roof where it clamps is not aluminum.
See pic:
http://www.japanvehicles.com/newcars/mitsubishi/Evo9/gtequip3.JPG

earlyapex
12-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Actually they don't. The part of the roof where it clamps is not aluminum.

You are correct Mr. Mike. The part that the roof rack clamps down on are the side "rails" after the rain gutters and are not aluminum. No part of a roof rack ever gets close to ever touching the aluminum part of a MR roof.

panem
12-09-2005, 10:05 PM
just for the weekend
anyone???

turbotiger
12-12-2005, 11:22 AM
You are correct Mr. Mike. The part that the roof rack clamps down on are the side "rails" after the rain gutters and are not aluminum. No part of a roof rack ever gets close to ever touching the aluminum part of a MR roof.

Aah, I see, I had thought the Aluminum extended farther outwards.

b0yw0nder
10-10-2007, 08:55 PM
anyone running a trunk rack like the one pictured above? any disadvantages?

other than the crazy lift that might be generated, anyone ever strapped a snowboard to a trunk rack like that?