PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad change question

Evo442
08-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Ok. You guys know that little metal plate that goes between the brake pad and the rotor? What is that for, and can I throw it away?

vtluu
08-28-2005, 12:56 PM
The shims? I can't say what they're for but I've always been told you should reuse them. Put a good layer of anti-squeal or high-temp anti-seize between them and the pad and them and the brake piston.

There's a little arrow on the shim; the shim should be positioned such that the arrow matches the usual rotation direction of the wheel, in case you get the two shims on a corner mixed up.

MitsuMan
08-29-2005, 10:23 PM
shims help eliminate brake pad chatter (they take up the tiny vibrations and cushionthe pad against the Caliper) chatter in the cause of squeaking if you thow it away you'll probably want it back in the future. Just reuse them other wise you'll have to buy new ones. some after market pads for other cars come with new one everytime but I havn't seen that for the evo pad especially since most people use high end performance aftermarket pads.

JanSolo
08-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Those shims are absolutely useful if you don't want screeching brake pads from street pads.

Evo442
08-30-2005, 05:39 AM
Ok guys, thats what I thought, to reduce brake squeal. Tam,Jan, anyone... what anti squeal stuff do you use? Is there one that stands up to high temps?

I'm using disk brake quiet (by permatex), which promptly burns off at each track day, leaving me with howling brakes. (Currently using Project Mu titan kai pads, trying PF's next)

I dont see how the brake noise could be much worse w/o the shims!

Matz
08-30-2005, 05:47 AM
Ok guys, thats what I thought, to reduce brake squeal. Tam,Jan, anyone... what anti squeal stuff do you use? Is there one that stands up to high temps?

I'm using disk brake quiet (by permatex), which promptly burns off at each track day, leaving me with howling brakes. (Currently using Project Mu titan kai pads, trying PF's next)

Don't know if this helps or not:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=77123

Step 9 specifies high-temp copper silicone for squeal suppression.

Evo442
08-30-2005, 05:52 AM

Don't know if this helps or not:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=77123

Step 9 specifies high-temp copper silicone for squeal suppression.

dude - most excellent. thanks! that must be what tam was referring to above. and it doesn't seem like you have to wait for this stuff to dry before putting the pads back on.

vtluu
08-30-2005, 11:55 AM
I used to use high-temp anti-seize; my brakes aren't horribly noisy but they do squeal a bit sometimes. Anyway I just bought a spray can of Permatex anti-squeal: http://permatex.com/auto/autouc.asp?automotive=yes&f_call=get_item&item_no=80729

Haven't tried it yet though.

Whooopasss
08-30-2005, 12:06 PM
I took mine off and it was squealing like a motha! I'll put mine back on one of this days.

AV8NDOC
08-30-2005, 12:39 PM
just got my calipers replaced and the :ugly: Mistu tech put the old pads in the new calipers without refreshing the anti-squeel -- and guess what, my front brake squeel now at slow speed light application.

I took the pads out and put antisqueel liberally on the back of the pad and front of the shim, only to find it still squeels. So now I am going to have to do it again and put the slop on the outside of the shim and on the caliper piston ends to quiet this down -- that should do it but makes more of a mess that I was trying to avoid!

Just a warning to others to put anti-squeel or the like in the shim/piston interface as well!!

Evo442
08-30-2005, 07:54 PM
I used to use high-temp anti-seize; my brakes aren't horribly noisy but they do squeal a bit sometimes. Anyway I just bought a spray can of Permatex anti-squeal: http://permatex.com/auto/autouc.asp?automotive=yes&f_call=get_item&item_no=80729

Haven't tried it yet though.

Thats what I've been using. Works ok, especially if you let it dry for a long time before putting the pads back on. The stuff burn off pretty quickly at the track tho' leaving you with squeaky brakes again.

vtluu
08-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Yeah, by the time I change my pads I don't see much of anything left on the shims.

My brakes can be a bit squeaky at times. I deal with it by not caring. :lol:

MitsuMan
08-30-2005, 10:03 PM

I have those pads there is no stopping the noise their just too agressive of a compound they even make a rubbing noise when not applied its the pads
I have the B-forces in the rear and they are real quiet and I have the same Rotora combo rotors front and rear so go figure :?

yes any normal brake job entales smearing anti-sieze (factory pads come with copper). it doesn't matter what kind you can even use just the synthetic brake lube grease. all its there for is to cusion the pad and try to eliminate chatter (very small vibration). Like the nails on the chaulk board effect. but when you use any pad thats more aggressive than stock then your gonna have some noise period thats it live with it
I just tell people its the "race pads"