PDA

View Full Version : pf 2pc rotor question

2befast
08-30-2005, 09:22 PM
this is for methods4 or earlyapex, or anyone that has them. Did you ever find out from performance friction about the cracking on the rotors. Also i need to upgrade my rotors. I'm getting a weird nosie from the rear passenger rotor, probably the brake pad wear. Anyways pf 2pc rotor of for street use with like 7-8 track days a year....

earlyapex
08-30-2005, 11:14 PM
They are just surface cracks and they said it's perfectly normal for the hell I put them through.

I've done 5 events on them and so far they are still working great. Not one problem, and they are wearing great, I even use aggressive PF pads every day and it's a daily driver.

Methods4 rotor killing problem he had before (I believe he had gone through 5 pairs of rotors) totally went away so far now that he has switched to the PF 2piece rotors.

I recommend them.

RT
08-31-2005, 05:10 AM
We're racing autox with a set of modified PFs in the front and a set of the slotted rears that RRE sells and the combo is working fantastic. The pads are for autox only but work great with the rotor combination.

8)

earlyapex
08-31-2005, 08:29 AM
We're racing autox with a set of modified PFs in the front and a set of the slotted rears that RRE sells and the combo is working fantastic. The pads are for autox only but work great with the rotor combination.

8)

What's modified about them?

2befast
08-31-2005, 08:39 AM
alright cool, i believe thats what im going to go with. Now i need to get tsome money. Anyone want to buy a brand new gps unit. Garmin 60CS, full color and 2 way radio. pretty sweet. Sells for $500 want $450. Probably will sell on ebay. Thanks for the help guys

RT
08-31-2005, 09:29 AM
Basically we didn’t like the size and shape or the finish on the dimples so we re-machined them, all of them.

We made the side wall of the dimple flatter, this opens up the top, lessening the angle between the dimple’s interior surface and the face of the rotor. Helps toss more debris at lower speeds and helps keep the dimples cleaned out better. We maintained the same depth, no real weight savings.

The dimples also had a noticeable burr around the top of all them so we also worked “deburring” into the above process and ended up with an much, much cleaner surface for the new pads to work with, not a “cheese grater” type surface (so to speak).

As a result the dimples clean themselves much better, not as much whhhrrrrrr sound from the rotors. Surface wear looks real good, pads took a good set. Still squeak at low speed when pads are cold but what the heck they certainly work noticeable better than the stock rotors.

The total brake mod has netted about a ˝ second improvement per lap so real happy with both sets of brakes front and rear and the autox pads too.

Couldn't see spending $600 plus per corner just so the brakes all "look" the same, I was also looking for "bang for the buck" too. :wink:

8)

earlyapex
08-31-2005, 09:56 AM
Sounds like you reduced the surface area even more, not that it really matters in cone bashing. 8)

/me ducks

methods4
08-31-2005, 10:18 AM
this is for methods4 or earlyapex, or anyone that has them. Did you ever find out from performance friction about the cracking on the rotors. Also i need to upgrade my rotors. I'm getting a weird nosie from the rear passenger rotor, probably the brake pad wear. Anyways pf 2pc rotor of for street use with like 7-8 track days a year....

If you're doing 7 to 8 trackdays per year, then it is worth it for the initial cost of PF 2pc rotors. I've had mine for two track events now with no issues. With OEM rotors I was going through them every 3 events or so.

Do NOT buy Powerslots for the fronts. They lasted me one trackday and are complete pieces of garbage. Lots of larger surface cracks. Powerslot chose not to warranty them because "they got hot." No shit assholes. Last time I checked, brake rotors get hot. So anyways, they may look all shnazzy with the slots and everything, but you don't want them for track events. I only bought them because they were much cheaper than OEMs. Powerslot can eat a dick.