PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slipping?

neogenetik
09-01-2005, 07:58 AM
i dont know the problem yet i just started driving it after a week
but when im in gear and i hit it
when im at 3k rpm it shoots up to 5k + rpms

i can compare to as if the clutch is slipping and it just revs up to 5k without no go

i have boost to 22 no leaking at all no leaking sounds

i have been auto-x in the past 2 weeks 2 days
and more than 15 launches with launch control
and i slip the clutch alot when i launch so maybe that could be the problem
ive taken it tot he drag once a month ago and launcd it 5 times

my peak trq is at around 4k rpm
i have 280who and 270trq on gruppe-s dyno
tbe,cams,mbc,tune

just need some help
if anyone around could help or help diagnose would be great
thanks guys

ej

vtluu
09-01-2005, 09:31 AM
You're right, sounds like your clutch is slipping. If you're still on the stock clutch and you've done all that launching, that should come as no surprise. :)

It's simple really. Remember when you're in gear and the clutch is engaged, there's a fixed mechanical connection between the engine and the wheels and the ground. In other words, how fast your engine turns is how fast your car goes. If your engine is turning at 3krpm and you're rolling at 60mph, and then the engine spins up to 5krpm and you're not rolling at 100mph, then something is slipping. In that whole system, there's really only a couple places where slipping can happen: between the tires and the ground (if you're doing an all-wheel burnout from a 60mph roll you're making quite a bit more than 280 whp; and you would kinda notice the tire smoke), and between the clutch disc and the flywheel.

neogenetik
09-01-2005, 09:58 AM
thanks tam
i just wanted to make sure
if there would be any other problems that would lead to this

i am on my stock clutch
and looking for a new clutch and flywheel setup

so any suggestions on track/street setup
to hold the hp i have?

mchagsingog
09-01-2005, 11:14 AM
I am having the same problem. As soon as the boost hits the rpms raise up to about 5k and then drop back down. I think I'm going to go with the Works CK2 kit and flywheel as soon as I get the money.

Matz
09-01-2005, 11:41 AM
thanks tam
i just wanted to make sure
if there would be any other problems that would lead to this

i am on my stock clutch
and looking for a new clutch and flywheel setup

so any suggestions on track/street setup
to hold the hp i have?

I haven't had my clutch replaced yet, so I don't have any personal experience. But from what I've read, if you are still under warranty and may need repairs done, then you'll want something that's not so flashy. So maybe the WORKS clutch / flywheel (CK1 / CK2), or RRE's No Name Clutch?

vtluu
09-01-2005, 12:02 PM
I'm happy with my WORKS CK2 clutch + Spin flywheel setup. I've launched the car plenty of times over the course of a full autocross season and it's still feels just as good as the day it was put in. Pedal feel is almost as light as stock; engagement is a bit more abrupt as one would expect from a grippier, heavier-duty clutch. I think the clutch cover comes either in blue or in black for the stock look, so be sure to ask for the black.

MarkSAE
09-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Tam, how is the high rpm shifting w/ the CK2? Can you do lightning fast 1-2 shifts with it like with the stock clutch??

vtluu
09-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Tam, how is the high rpm shifting w/ the CK2? Can you do lightning fast 1-2 shifts with it like with the stock clutch??
Haven't had any problems shifting as fast as I'd like... except 3-4 where I think the synchro is iffy (grinds if I shift above 6k rpm); I think it was like that before I got the clutch, too.

SJCoruja
09-01-2005, 02:10 PM
I have the ACT HDSD in mine...little more pedal effort but has held amazingly well for over 20k miles with no signs of slipping. ProStreet has some pretty sweet deals on them, as well as a few other clutches/flywheels here: http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5828&highlight=