PDA

View Full Version : A sad day for my Evo!

nebolic
02-29-2004, 11:30 AM
A very sad day for my Evo. Yesterday after the meet from hayward, my Evo went all haywire. I blew two fuses simutaneosly fuse no 5 (relay) and 20 (right parking lights). The interior lights, dash console lights went dead, my right side parking lights went dead and also my anti lock brakes light went on.

I replaced the fuses and fuse no 20 immediately blew again. Factory specs have it at 7.5 amps but the only way i can keep it stable and not blow is running a 10amp fuse. However after 20 mins of driving, the fuse blew again.

Not only that but now the interior lights for the heating/cold air controls the third knob (the one you can choose which vent the air comes out) and also the recirculation air button does not light up.

I've had this problem before (my rant about stevens creek mitsui jacking $60 for 2 fuses replacement) however this time it seems a little worse because it blew up more than twice and also the interior light is still gone. I am attempting to drop my car off at the dealer today and let them deal with it. However, is there any electrical engineers here that can tell me what could be possibly wrong. I have an aftermarket stereo installed in there but I dont think that it should cause this much trouble?

Any suggestions would help.
Thanks,
Eddy

jbigelow
02-29-2004, 01:03 PM
THAT SUCKS BRO.

HOPE THEY FOIND OUT THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!

-JOHN

JanSolo
02-29-2004, 01:17 PM
With all these electrical problems, you'd think Eddy is driving a VW.

warpspeed
02-29-2004, 01:38 PM
are talking about the box inside the passenger compartment or the one in the engine fuse box?

nebolic
02-29-2004, 03:47 PM
both, fuse #5 is in the little compartment to the left of the steering wheel, fuse #20 is in the engine compartment. So yeah it sucks, well i just hope i can get it fixed cuz its kinda stupid driving a $30k and the darn parking lights dont even work. oh well, i just dropped my car off at the dealer so i will know more tomorrow when i call them up. i will keep you guys posted cuz this is one problem i do not want to wish on my worst enemy.

I'm not sure if i shorted something out cuz i washed my car in the morning? oh well, hope they can fix everything.

thomas
02-29-2004, 07:23 PM
good luck, mang.

i hope everything works out ok...

Dogtown
02-29-2004, 11:22 PM
That really sucks man. You said you've had the problem before did it start right after you bought? Or is somethin else jackin with it?

nebolic
02-29-2004, 11:24 PM
i beleive it has something to do with the god forsake radio installed from BEST frigging Buy. in any case i not worried about paying for warranty cuz if anything i will claim bset buy for the money and if worse comes to worse i'll be more than happy to file a lawsuit to bset buy. I just need my poor Evo to be fixed (sob sob)

Dogtown
02-29-2004, 11:59 PM
Take it as a tip from me. Don't let Best Buy fix anything I worked at one for a little while as a second job (at the comp Tech desk), and seriously no one there no what they were doin I'd never seen so many hury rigged jobs in my life. They usually just sent stuff Off to get repaired. I don't know that all Best Buys are like that, but i know I'm not having them do anything to my car. Or my computer.

nebolic
03-01-2004, 12:06 AM
i've learnt the hard way, so i figured if i go throu a dealer now and get everything done there, and if they come back to me and say its the "radio install" i can go to best buy and claim them for it, cuz i already took my car to best buy for 4 different occasions to "attempt" to fix the radio so there is no more reason i should bring my car back there to get anything fixed, if anything its going to the manufacturer.

I wish now that i didnt get it done at Best buys, well i guess you gotta live a little to learn a little.

Dogtown
03-01-2004, 12:08 AM
True enough. Hey I hope your car gets fixed soon man. I wanna see what you post in the 1/4. :) Good luck.

nebolic
03-01-2004, 12:11 AM
thanks for the support guys, i hope there will be a verdict from the dealer tomorrow, im already missing my poor evo (sob sob). crossing my fingers and hope some genious techie at the dealer will solve the problem. I am praying to the Evo god as we speak.

Nebolic

chris
03-01-2004, 02:32 AM
im a lil late here. but dang that sucks bro. gluck with everything

evo_dadi
03-01-2004, 08:20 AM
sucks to hear that eddy but dont worry it'll be back sooner than you think.

nebolic
03-01-2004, 09:23 AM
update for anyone thats interested:

I just called the dealer and they will start looking into the problem, however it doesnt sound too promising as his first questions were:
" do you have an aftermarket alarm, turbo timer or radio?"

Of course i replied I have aftermarket radio ...
his response was "hmmm ooooo"

I will post updates throughout the day.

Nebolic

warpspeed
03-01-2004, 10:10 AM
Most likely is the radio install. they must have "tap" on the wrong wire and it can't hold the voltage and causing a short. On the timer, if you use the plug and play harness, then it's not the timer. the alarm I really doubt but then again if BestBuy installed it, then your up sh!t creek. Good luck with the dealership. As a note, I put everything in my car when it comes to accessories, so if something do happen, then I have an idea of what it could be.

warpspeed
03-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Oh I forgot to mention, I was looking at the wiring diagram on the Evo(I have the CD shop manual) and those fuses you talked about listed the radio as part of the circuit. That's why I am swinging more to the radio install.

nebolic
03-01-2004, 10:30 AM
so do you think its possible that the dealer will take the radio out and re-wire it??? it seems that most likely thats what they are going to do, i'm just wondering if they'll actually be able to fix it. god damn best buy... my poor evo.

thanks for the tip warpspeed. so you reckon that maybe on the radio install which wire would they tap? im assuming its the power wire thats tapped wrong cuz i dont know any other wires that might be tapped, the wierd thing is they used a harness. hmm any info would be cool so i can call the dealer and have them redo it, i think this fix is gonna be deep in the pocket. ouch.

ytsejam
03-01-2004, 10:53 AM
if it's your radio that causes this problem and could've result in a bigger problem such as safety related, ecu etc etc, i am just afraid that they might void your electrical warranty and make you pay for the labor + parts.

hope it's nothing major

nebolic
03-01-2004, 11:04 AM
man in any case, i dont think i should pay a pennie out of my pocket, if the warranty is voided, i will have best buy reimburse me because they were the ones that messed up. geez headache headache headache. I'm about to call the dealer in about 5 mins to get the new scoop

nebolic
03-01-2004, 11:31 AM
okie i'm about to shed some tears... i called the dealer to get an update, first they havent started on my car yet, whoopedooo second i informed that that the fuses are related to the radio circuit and the dealer said most of the times if they see that the aftermarket radio is installed and is causing the shorts, they wont even touch it..... now i am totally lost on what to do if they really dont fix my car. I told him that if its not warrantied i will pay for it... but if they dont fix it i dont know who the hell i can take my car to get it fixed. arggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

xchoirboy
03-01-2004, 11:35 AM
have you tried taking out the radio (at least for know). you might want to try putting the stock back in.

JanSolo
03-01-2004, 11:41 AM
I believe Best Buy warantees the installation. I had lots of stuff installed by Best Buy and they warranty all of their work. Have you talked to them about covering the cost of the repair work?

nebolic
03-01-2004, 11:46 AM
i just talked to best buy and they said best thing is to take pictures and make sure i have proof that it was indeed the radio that was messing the electrical up, which i dont think will have a problem with cuz the dealer will do a good write up etc... I am not taking my car back to best buy because of the fact that
1. it took them 8+ hours to install my radio
2. i spent $1000
3. I have taken my car to best buy on 4 occasions to redo the radio because it was not done correctly
4. I had a manager there that chewed me out because i complained for waiting 8 hours for a radio install.
5. i noticed they had 5 different people working on my car and not all of them were certified (i found this out later)

so bring my car back to best buy is out of the question, if anything this has to be the last time i get it fixed, i cannot waste more time on an issue that shouldn't be there in the first place.

I just contacted my laywer (my sister is a lawyer) and she's ready any sec to file a lawsuit against those bastards.

All i can say right now is i feel violated that my brand new car is being tormented by stupid people.

well i am one stupid person for bringing my car to best buy in the first place.

(sob sob)

nebolic
03-01-2004, 01:02 PM
new update, kind of funny actually.

the dealer just called me and asked where are the fuses located.

he cant find fuse #5.

that makes me really confident on those guys working on my car.

my feelings right now are numb.

warpspeed
03-01-2004, 01:11 PM
Maybe those guys working on your car right now used to work in BestBuy :lol: Just playing. You said that they used a harness for the install but as far as I know they don't make a harness for the Evo yet as far as I know. They must have use one for a Lancer and I have a good feeling that one of those wires in the harness is wrong. they may have the same connectors but a wire or two is wrong. :wink:

nebolic
03-01-2004, 01:13 PM
$hit if that is the case, is there a way around that, how would install an aftermarket radio in htere, or is it just simple process of nubbing the wires so it doesnt draw any power.

BUDLoNG
03-01-2004, 01:18 PM
what dealership is your car at?

warpspeed
03-01-2004, 01:19 PM
Since your car is already at the dealership, I would just have to wait to see what they uncover. Now if the car was still with you and suspected the radio, the first thing I would look for is the harness and disconnect it from the radio end. Then change the fuse/s and see if it happens again. By the way do you have any amps?

nebolic
03-01-2004, 01:29 PM
yes 1 400watt amo. im pooped

nebolic
03-01-2004, 01:32 PM
my car is in sac off florin rd

warpspeed
03-01-2004, 01:33 PM
I am just wondering how they hooked that up too. Sometimes if you tap into a fuse and draws to much power, it can blow the fuse. because if the tapped the radio pwr/remote wire and the amp remote wire to the same fuse and the fuse can't handle it then it will blow.

nebolic
03-01-2004, 01:38 PM
well for the amp, it looks like they ran the power wire straight to the battery so it doesnt look like its tapped to anything, tho the ground might be tapped to something else. i will have to look at the car to let u know. Some many possibilities....

warpspeed
03-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Well the power wire should go directly to the battery. But there is also a remote wire that turns the amp on when the radio is turn on. Is this wire that I am concerned about.

nebolic
03-01-2004, 01:44 PM
aww $hit, theres a point in the harness ( i might be wrong) that they plugged it in too. that might be a problem cuz i remember them trying out (yeah trying out) a few places to plug that wire in. now that i think about it, i'm the biggest idiot for bringing my business to best buy (worst buy).

warpspeed
03-01-2004, 01:49 PM
well If I was you I would get and independent shop that actually specialize is installs and get their findings so you can sue the sh!t of BestBuy.

nebolic
03-01-2004, 01:53 PM
thats my next step if the dealer cant fix it....

im praying that this can all be resolved today, but it doesnt look likely that will happen.

nebolic
03-01-2004, 03:07 PM
new update:

dealer just called and said those two fuses are linked to my cigarattee lighter. He asked if i used a cell phone charger in there, i said no, and he is mind boggled right now as am I. If it is indeed the cigaratte lighter, then maybe its a factory defect?

p.s i've never used my cigarette ligther before for anything.

BUDLoNG
03-01-2004, 03:39 PM
i use mine all the time... both for my cell charging and for lighting smoking cigarettes and the occasional doobie

BUDLoNG

nebolic
03-01-2004, 04:42 PM
muhahaaahhhhaah i just got word back from the dealer heres a somewhat good news.

BAD CIRCUIT BOARD.

it is being replaced under warranty.

I hope that fixes the problem but they assured me thats what it is. muhahahahaha so relieved.

bad thing is that they have to order the part so i will have to wait until wednesday, so i guess i cannot attend the sac raceway with you folks this wednesday.

whew... hope all goes well.

Nebo

warpspeed
03-01-2004, 04:44 PM
did they say specifically what circuit board?

nebolic
03-01-2004, 04:50 PM
no they didnt, actually i was just spoke with them really fast, but they said they tested the circuit boards (which ones i do not know) but they assured me that it was a circuit board issue and not anything else, i specifically ask them is it anything to do with the wiring of the radio etc... he said no and its all under warranty. When i go pick my car up at the dealer i will have the specifics for people to go by. In any case, my thoughts are that maybe when they installed my radio, it might have damaged the circuit board (?) i dont know if thats possible but i'm still going to blame those best buy people.

thanks for everyones input and especially warpspeed, nice to have a good support group.

warpspeed
03-01-2004, 04:53 PM
No problem. I just hope that it's not the circuit board on the ECU, because then you might have to go back to Shiv to reflash it. (free of course). Because I remember him saying that if the dealership does some sort of upgrade on the ecu, it would take the flash out and he said if it happens, he will reflash for free.

nebolic
03-01-2004, 04:56 PM
well i will know for sure when i pick up my car since my peak boost is at 23psi, i can tell for sure. In any case i will ask for the parts they replaced etc.. so you guys can give me an input of the whole process went correctly and also if they messed around with my ECU. I'm probably assuming that nothing was touched with the ECU side.

warpspeed
03-01-2004, 04:58 PM
I hope not either because this problem you have is really interesting. oh ya, the chat room is still not working right. It still doesn't say if anyone is in there. I'm in there now.

ytsejam
03-01-2004, 05:16 PM
hahaha they will replace your circuit board + ecu with a lancer es' one.... you'll be boosting 0 psi....2L all motor now :)

nebolic
03-01-2004, 05:21 PM
aww man why you gotta jinx me like that, thats messed up ;-) hahaah i'm just glad they can get it fixed. side note my GFB unit should get here by end of this week, Works said they'll have their unit in on wednesday and should ship it out after that.

thomas
03-01-2004, 05:50 PM
good sh!t mang :wink: well actually be at sac raceway wed NITE, so if youre still down and got your car back, you should join us.

i kno a really good audio place by my house if you still wanna get your deck checked out. thats where i got my sh!t done. good service.

let me kno.

nebolic
03-01-2004, 05:54 PM
hopefully after this fix, everything will be golden and i dont have to deal with this bull$hit, i'm tired of bring my evo in to get it fixed and i cant even enjoy driving it. bahhhh. i will try to get my car back asap so we can cruise.

jbigelow
03-01-2004, 09:47 PM
hey eddie,

when you get your car back and want your radio wired right, we'll go to my buddy's shop in oakland who owns a radio shop. he just got an evo that night of the meet in hayward and he was the one that wired my compustar car alarm.

-john

nebolic
03-01-2004, 09:57 PM
cool, thanks John, heh so how do you like your flash? good stuff hehheheh, you're not stock anymore. BTW i think my BOV is coming on friday, hopefully, we'll test it out this weekend.

jbigelow
03-02-2004, 12:26 AM
cool, thanks John, heh so how do you like your flash? good stuff hehheheh, you're not stock anymore. BTW i think my BOV is coming on friday, hopefully, we'll test it out this weekend.

BOV - yeah boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!

-jbigs

thomas
03-02-2004, 07:37 PM

hey what about me? i dont get a thanx. :cry:

no more hookups for you!!! :shock:

warpspeed
03-02-2004, 07:45 PM
How much did you get the GFB for? I want one too :(

nebolic
03-02-2004, 10:13 PM

hey what about me? i dont get a thanx. :cry:

no more hookups for you!!! :shock:

my bad tommy, you know you're my homie. :werd: hahah

umm i'm obliged as to not disclose the amount of how much i bought the GFB unit publicly (ps i will pm you)

CollinsT
03-03-2004, 10:05 AM
I hate the fact that the dealership, well any dealership tries to get out of warranty work. If its covered under warranty they still get paid. Some dealerships are worse than others. They kind of remind me of the type of business that pisses me off the most and that is Insuance companies.

This is why I want bolt on parts on my car. If somthing goes wrong I can just return it back to stock. Eddy I think Bestbuy is a crappy place for install. Circuit City is the best that I have seen, with little or no problems. They will even install you old radio back in your car when you get rid of what ever car you might be driving, and install it in your new one.

howiEVO8
03-03-2004, 01:24 PM
muhahaaahhhhaah i just got word back from the dealer heres a somewhat good news.

BAD CIRCUIT BOARD.

it is being replaced under warranty.

I hope that fixes the problem but they assured me thats what it is. muhahahahaha so relieved.

bad thing is that they have to order the part so i will have to wait until wednesday, so i guess i cannot attend the sac raceway with you folks this wednesday.

whew... hope all goes well.

Nebo

now lets hope they don't find out that you got an xflash or was it a p2? lolz

....i actually KNOW exactly what happened....and the reason why your circuit board is "bad" hahaha...pm me eddy

nebolic
03-03-2004, 01:35 PM
howie,

i pm'ed you, let me know your findings on my circuit board being bad so i can prevent further damage.

thanks dude
nebo

nebolic
03-03-2004, 02:40 PM
also in case anyone is wondering, WORKS had the GFB units shipped last night from L.A so they are expecting it on Thursday. So I am hoping that I will get my GFB in by friday, or maybe saturday but im not sure if UPS delivers on Saturday? ahh the agony of waiting for parts.

ytsejam
03-03-2004, 04:59 PM
so what's the word on howie's prediction about the bad circuit board?

JanSolo
03-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Talked to Works today actually and they just got the BOVs in hand. Apparently there are 16 different settings for it, so they are gonna test them all out.

nebolic
03-03-2004, 07:05 PM
well update on my evo.

went to the dealer todayto pick up my car but the parts didnt come in so no one worked on my Evo and they neglected to tell me, so i had to drive my evo home and wait for the parts to come in. gosh darn it.

about works, man, i called them today and asked wheres the GFB unit and whoever was on the phone told me thursdays it'll be in... heh if they really have it on hand that'll be great cuz i want to get mine by friday.

still waiting to get my evo fixed.....