PDA

View Full Version : Possible date in Reno-Fernley in october

hagakure
09-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Hey Guys,

Looking at working with a known open tracking group to put together a track day at Reno-Fernley in october. Tam, Evan and I have run on this track, and can attest to the fact that it is a LOT of fun, high speed, great surface and grip, nice folks. It would probably be on a late weekday, say a thursday or friday. Could try and work witht he i-club guys, maybe audi club and lotus club guys to get out enough cars to make it worth while. Yes, Reno is a long way, but it's worth it!

Let me know, post here to gauge interest.

Percy

crctslt
09-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Hell Percy you know I'm interested. Let me know how it goes.

earlyapex
09-06-2005, 10:38 PM
Will it actually have gas pumps and bathrooms by then? Aka, will it not be ghetto?

crctslt
09-07-2005, 12:12 AM
They have gas pumps, just gotta fire up the generator and open the 55 gal. drum :shock: Porta johns are bathrooms aren't they?

hagakure
09-07-2005, 08:11 AM
[quote="earlyapex"]Will it actually have gas

Can't vouch for it not being a bit spartan, but the track itself is definitely worth the inconvieniences, in my opinion.

dohcvtec
09-07-2005, 09:00 AM
I'm interested. Last time I drove this track was when it first opened and was only like 1.2 miles long.

vtluu
09-07-2005, 01:14 PM
I'll be away Oct. 4-18 but would be interested in a track day if it's later that month.

I almost ran out of gas there last time and ended up paying them what, $6 or $7 a gallon :shock: for just enough gas to drive a few miles up the road to a local gas station (in Fernley). However now I need to run straight 100 now that I'm boosting to 24-25 psi. We did notice a bike shop with a VP100 sign on it in Fernley but it was closed that day... but if someone can find out how/where to contact them maybe we can get hooked up on race gas for that day.

Richard EVO
09-07-2005, 01:53 PM
I would probably go if you could make it a 2-day event, or do it on a day that is right before or after the TNL driving school or an open test day (I have a permit to test and tune on open test days, which normally requires a racing license). The TNL school is usually on Mon. and Tues. It's not worth it to me to drive all the way from SoCal for one day at Reno-Fernley.

It is very "Spartan", but a very fun high speed track too. Whoever said it has a "great surface" is on the crack pipe. They did repair some of that washboard surface on the racing line of the back straight, but most of the berms are just awful and eat tires.

Nevertheless it's a track I really like and know pretty well. The are opening up another 2 miles of technical stuff pretty soon too.

hagakure
09-07-2005, 02:15 PM
I would probably go if you could make it a 2-day event, or do it on a day that is right before or after the TNL driving school or an open test day (I have a permit to test and tune on open test days, which normally requires a racing license). The TNL school is usually on Mon. and Tues. It's not worth it to me to drive all the way from SoCal for one day at Reno-Fernley.

It is very "Spartan", but a very fun high speed track too. Whoever said it has a "great surface" on on the crack pipe. They did repair some of that washboard surface on the racing line of the back straight, but most of the berms are just awful and eat tires.

Nevertheless it's a track I really like and know pretty well. The are opening up another 2 miles of technical stuff pretty soon too.

I said that it was a great surface, and I'm not on the pipe:).
What I was referring to was the level of grip, because it's new tarmac. I found the level of grip there to be pretty good, and I ran 1:36 on two bald hoosiers on the rear. Just my opinion.

Percy

Richard EVO
09-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Percy -

I understand your point. But some of the berms are so bumpy and rutted that you have to avoid them, even though the racing line takes you over them. I am thinking of turn 7 in particular, that fun, full-throttle right-hander.

hagakure
09-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Percy -

I understand your point. But some of the berms are so bumpy and rutted that you have to avoid them, even though the racing line takes you over them. I am thinking of turn 7 in particular, that fun, full-throttle right-hander.

the berms are not fun, but The grip in general is pretty good. I agree the track needs work, but is hella fun!!:)

they are finishing the 4 mile track in october for sure. I confirmed that today.

Richard EVO
09-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Acutally, some of the berms have been fixed, starting at turn 9 through the last turn. I was there less than a month ago.

Bonster
09-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Haga .. . thanks for starting a thread! I will be talking to the track manager this evening on pricing. I was thinking of shooting for a 2-day event, October 15th and 16th. I figured that this would make it more worth the drive out there. We will still have catered lunches, snacks, Gatorades, etc. -- but I wouldn't count on them having running water by then. You can get gas in town at lunch time if you need it, to avoid the higher track prices. I've watched a few tracks evolve . . . they are all like this in the beginning. It just takes time. It was only a few years ago when Thunderhill was very similar.

Anywho . . . I'll know more on pricing tonight when I talk to the manager dude. Given the youth of the track facility, I doubt we'll be paying more than $160 for a day, maybe $300 for both days. I will definitely let you guys know asap. Thanks for the cool idea, Haga!

And by the way . . . I was just out there about three weeks ago instructing for the Corvette Club. Let me tell you . . . that place has made a WORLD of improvements! I was there for the very first race . . . sure has come a long way since then.
BW

Bonster
09-07-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm interested. Last time I drove this track was when it first opened and was only like 1.2 miles long.

***We will be running the current 2.4 mile track. Rumor has it, however, that the 4-miler might be open by October. Not sure if I wanna do a track that huge -- do you guys? Sure would be hard to improve your lap times, lol.

BW

earlyapex
09-07-2005, 05:26 PM
I was thinking of shooting for a 2-day event, October 15th and 16th.

Keep in mind that GGLC is having their buttonwillow event on oct 17th. A bunch of the track whorze here go to most of the GGLC events.

Bonster
09-07-2005, 05:35 PM
I was thinking of shooting for a 2-day event, October 15th and 16th.

Keep in mind that GGLC is having their buttonwillow event on oct 17th. A bunch of the track whorze here go to most of the GGLC events.

***Well, since it was Haga's idea to hold an event there, and he's an Evo nut . . . I will try and make it an Evo event (even though it's technically a TEAM event -- but it's not like we don't have bunches of different cars anyway). So tell ya what . . . For sure I know we would be foolish to do a weekend event on October 8-9 or October 29-30, as NASA is running events at Sears and Thunderhill, respectively (and I'd kinda like to race at those events, lol). So if you all don't like the 15-16, then how's October 1-2 sound? Or how about October 22-23? Here's some cons about either date . . . the 1-2 is short notice . . . if we wanna do this, I'll need everybody's help to get it filled FAST. The track will want their fees NOW (they want 33% [non-refundable] of the minimum track rental fee at the 30-day mark). The 22-23 is good, but there is an SCCA race on that weekend. However, that particular race, unlike how NASA does it, does not include regular open track events (i.e., HPDE stuff), so it might actually be a good date to go.

My vote would personally be for the later date -- but I will leave it up to you all. It's your event, essentially. :) Since it was the Evo Club's idea . . . we gotta find some special way to honor that. Something like, "NorCal Evo presents, in association with T.E.A.M. Racing . . . " That kinda thing. Anyway . . . keep up the great input, folks. If you all want this to happen, I can definitely make it so -- and would be honored. :)

BW

hagakure
09-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Well,

I'm all over the 22-23, but it will be interesting to see if there is enough interest from other Evo owners. I know that there are a lot of folks that did the last trackmasters event there that would like to run the track again, etc. Another draw is that the ful track may be open by then as well. I'd like to see it happen. 14, 15, 16 I'll be watching ALMS at Laguna with my bro, so that weekend is out for me. I'll do anything I can to help get it together Bonnie.

Percy

earlyapex
09-07-2005, 05:45 PM
I *might* be interested. It's just the gas situation that is making me not want to go. I have to fill up my car at least 3 times during a one-day event at thill. Having to drive into town like I heard people doing would be a serious PITA.

So what *IS* the gas situation there? I heard that they have pumps, but it costs like twice as much as normally? Do they have 100octane?

Bonster
09-07-2005, 05:55 PM
So what *IS* the gas situation there? I heard that they have pumps, but it costs like twice as much as normally? Do they have 100octane?

***They have 100 unleaded and 110 leaded, though I am not sure if it's pumped or what. I will ask about that tonight and post back to you all. My suggestion, especially since Evos have considerable trunk space . . . bring a couple of five-gallon (or maybe even one will do) gas cans (plastic would be best -- it doesn't stink up the trunk unless you spill it) instead. That's what I do . . .

Anyway, THANKS everyone for all the great questions, etc.. This is helping me to get everything together and perfected for you all. So far, I suppose that the 22-23 date is best? Anybody else? I need to know pretty soon . . . thanks!

BW

smack
09-07-2005, 06:02 PM
the problem with the evo's is that you go through 5gals. every 30 min. session.

vtluu
09-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Bring your own tanker truck? :lol:

Driving into town isn't that big a deal--it's just 2-3 miles if I remember correctly--a lot closer than THill is to Willows for example.

I'd love to come out; as I said I'll be on vacation 10/4-18. 10/22-23 would work but the other problem is that I'll be massively "in debt" on vacation time so I think I'm limited to weekend events for the foreseeable future. :(

earlyapex
09-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Driving into town isn't that big a deal--it's just 2-3 miles if I remember correctly--a lot closer than THill is to Willows for example.

(

I don't drive into town every other session at thill, in fact , the only time I drive into town is for lunch. How much was 100octane at Reno?

Bonster
09-07-2005, 06:42 PM
10/22-23 would work but the other problem is that I'll be massively "in debt" on vacation time so I think I'm limited to weekend events for the foreseeable future. :(

***My friend, the 10/22-23 *IS* a weekend. :) I don't want to travel all the way to Fernley for a one-day event, either -- and I live only in Sacramento. Besides, we'll get more 'bonding time' at a two day event this way.

BW

Bonster
09-07-2005, 06:46 PM

***They are that bad? I thought Corvettes sucked gas, holy crap. Don't panic yet, folks. Let me see if I can work some magic on getting the prices on gas down. I'll see what I can do . . . if they want our business, they'll help us out. Just leave that worry to me . . . that's why you have folks like me organizing this stuff. I'll let you know what happens . . . I'm still waiting for the phone to ring! :D

BW

smack
09-07-2005, 06:49 PM
hey tam, where are you off to for vacation?

i'll be gone around the same time 9/27-10/18.
can't wait, work has been pretty rough(relatively speaking :lol: ) these past few months.

Bonster
09-07-2005, 06:51 PM
[quote="vtluu"]

I don't drive into town every other session at thill, in fact , the only time I drive into town is for lunch. How much was 100octane at Reno?

***I've never had to use the pumps there yet . . . but I've got a Spec Miata (racecar), so maybe that's why? I've run a full day of racing and testing and still got back to Fernley's motels and had gas left to fill up on. I will find out tonight the gas prices for us all. I presume we're all on unleaded? What pisses me off is that most of us don't even need 100 octane test. I mean, really -- unless you are running a forced induction set-up, 91 will more than do ya. My racecar has its timing bumped to 14 degrees and I am ping-free at 91 at most public pumps. Using a higher octane will gain you nothing but a heavy wallet unless you're F.I.'ed.
I'll see about those prices . . . I bet I'll get my way. :D

BW

vtluu
09-07-2005, 06:53 PM
hey tam, where are you off to for vacation?
Italia!

(Yes, I will try to make a side trip to Maranello if the schedule allows it. ;))

smack
09-07-2005, 07:06 PM
hey, me too!
venice, then florence. doing a week in paris first though.
i'll look for the guy with the toronto maple leafs shirt on :wink:

Bonster
09-07-2005, 07:55 PM
I HATE you guys . . .I wanna go to Italy! Alas, I WANT PICTURES! Lol.

W

hagakure
09-07-2005, 09:09 PM
hey, me too!
venice, then florence. doing a week in paris first though.
i'll look for the guy with the toronto maple leafs shirt on :wink:

You guys will both love Tuscany. I've been there on tour and for the festival season (music) many times. Amazing people, amazing food. Make sure to rub the pigs snout in florence for me (you'll find out what that means!):)

Percy

crctslt
09-07-2005, 09:25 PM
I vote 10/22-23

earlyapex
09-07-2005, 10:02 PM
What pisses me off is that most of us don't even need 100 octane test. Using a higher octane will gain you nothing but a heavy wallet unless you're F.I.'ed.

You're talking to a bunch of EVO owners that run 19/20 psi of boost stock. :)

Plus I crank up my boost and mess with my AFR's with good juice in the car. MMMMmmmmm mo power!. :)

vtluu
09-07-2005, 10:07 PM
You're talking to a bunch of EVO owners that run 19/20 psi of boost stock. :)
Bwahahaha, 20 psi is for weak-kneed cowards! Behold my 25 psi... tremble in fear, you mere mortals! BTW anybody know where I can get a spare engine? :lol:

Richard EVO
09-07-2005, 11:06 PM
I run 24.5 lbs. boost and don't dare hit WOT on 91 octane. They charge $7/gal for 100 octane at Reno-Fernley. I can live with that, as much as I don't like it. You gotta pay to play. :lol:

Bonster
09-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Okay . . . I still am waiting for a call back for pricing . . . but for now the event is definitely ON for October 22 and 23. I would like to tentatively set pricing at $175 for one day, $325 for two days. This price might go down a bit, but it will definitely NOT go up. This is based on how much we would pay per driver with a 45-driver turn-out. I plan to make things official this evening. I am still waiting for the track manager to call back! Some people are hard to give money to, you know? Anyway, does that sound like a good price to you all? Again, it's just an estimate. It won't be official until this evening.

Thanks!

BW

hagakure
09-08-2005, 02:30 PM
I"m in for sre for 2 days, and will help promote to subie guys, etc.

Percy

Bonster
09-08-2005, 02:47 PM
I"m in for sre for 2 days, and will help promote to subie guys, etc.

Percy

***Great! And as soon as I know FOR SURE the price, I'll make up a registration form and get it up on the website, at which time I'll start announcing this event to other groups. THANKS for your help on this, Percy. I'm just happy that I can make it happen for you all. :)

BW

Richard EVO
09-08-2005, 03:01 PM
I have a conflict Oct. 22 & 23. That's the weekend that RacerFactory has the new nearly-4-mile track at Pahrump, NV. I go twice a year to Spring Mtn. with this group and its a great event. Sorry, if it weren't for that I'd be with you at Reno-Fernley. :cry:

Bonster
09-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Bummer, Richard! Well, sorta. ;) Can you help us promote the event anyway? I need 45 drivers at this rate just to cover it . . . actually I will be $40 short, lol. 46 drivers would mean happy happy! Anyway . . . my friend that has Acrobat Writer is apparently unavailable to make up a registration form, so for now, I'll make one up using Word. I'll post it a little later tonight -- by 6PM. We will need to get a deposit to the tune of about $3000 in to the track by September 21st, so I need all the help I can get! :)

BW

Bonster
09-08-2005, 06:25 PM
It's OFFICIAL!!! We are GOING!!! I secured the track this evening, and we are offically slated to run on October 22nd and 23rd at RFR. Cost is as I predicted -- $175 for one day, $325 for two days. This is based upon a 46-driver turnout. SPECIAL for NorCalEvo.net members -- ten bucks off total entry if you get payment / registration in by September 20th! That makes it $165 for one day, $315 for two! Not bad! :lol: Also, there is a long-standing deal with T.E.A.M. events . . . if you get five drivers to sign up, your day is FREE. Yup, you read it right . . . FREE. This will be a predominantly Evo Club type day, so get lots of your buddies out to play with us! Surely your 24+/- psi boost cars can pass my little ol' Spec Miata racecar, RIGHT? :D I look forward to seeing tail lights!!!

I look forward to seeing you all very soon . . .

BW -- in-love with motorsports forever . . .

vtluu
09-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Awesome! Count me in!

Actually, because of the altitude at RFR, turbo'ed cars will lose about 3 psi of boost (assuming you don't adjust the boost control to compensate). So I might not blow up my engine after all. :lol:

Cameron@xperformance
09-08-2005, 07:25 PM
now your only going to be boosting 22psi :lol:

Bonster
09-08-2005, 08:18 PM
The only boost I get is if I put a potato in my exhaust mandifold, lol. :) Even so . . . TRY and keep up! We'll have fun!!! :D

BW -- 106 hp, 0 psi boost ;)

earlyapex
09-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Bonnie,

Get this so you can play with the boost boys. :)

http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/rodi/images.ProductShot1.jpg

vtluu
09-08-2005, 09:32 PM
now your only going to be boosting 22psi :lol:
The boy knows math, there is hope for his generation after all! :nana:

Bonster
09-08-2005, 09:36 PM
ROFL Apex . . . sound effects are fun (especially at tech after a race, lol). I'll pass though. We'll be seein' ya, my fellow track addict. <evil grin> :D

BW

Cameron@xperformance
09-08-2005, 09:50 PM
i will talk to my dad and see if he wants to go. hopefully by then it wont be in ESP form anymore :skid:

Richard EVO
09-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Bummer, Richard! Well, sorta. ;) Can you help us promote the event anyway? I need 45 drivers at this rate just to cover it . . . actually I will be $40 short, lol. 46 drivers would mean happy happy! Anyway . . . my friend that has Acrobat Writer is apparently unavailable to make up a registration form, so for now, I'll make one up using Word. I'll post it a little later tonight -- by 6PM. We will need to get a deposit to the tune of about $3000 in to the track by September 21st, so I need all the help I can get! :)

BW

I'm happy to help in any way I can. I think the current config. of Reno-Fernley is a BLAST in an EVO, and it will only get better when they open up the new section of the track. I might even get talked into foregoing the RacerFactor event at Spring Mtn. Let's just see. I think your entry fees are very reasonable. 8)

Bonster
09-09-2005, 06:27 AM
I might even get talked into foregoing the RacerFactor event at Spring Mtn. Let's just see. I think your entry fees are very reasonable. 8)

***If I bat my eyes and beg, will that help? Lol. :roll: Thanks for letting me know that the rates were decent . . . I charged the minimum that I felt I could while still being able to pay the track. Actually, I was somewhat surprised at what RFR charges, considering their facilities are still a bit medievil. But you're right -- the new config is VERY fun! :lol:

BW

Richard EVO
09-09-2005, 08:46 AM
Spartan is a good description. They only have electricity in the office when they run the generator. The only sink is an outdoors one that you pump with your foot to get water. At least the porta potties are pretty clean. Race gas comes from a 55-gallon drum pumped out by a generator-run pump. The pump handle doesn't have an automatic shut off, so be careful or you'll have 100 octane all over your loafers (at $7/gal.!!!). There is some shade, but if you are looking for air conditioning, go back to your motel. No food, you have to go into town. Be sure to bring your own drinking water and an ice chest.

Other than that, it's the Taj Mahal. :P

P.S. If you are there on Saturday night at 6:00 p.m., be sure to walk over to the 3/8 mile dirt oval to watch the locals race around and crash into each other. It's a hoot. :D

Bonster
09-09-2005, 09:11 AM
At least the porta potties are pretty clean.

***They better be -- they charge $25 a piece per day for those nasty things.

There is some shade, but if you are looking for air conditioning, go back to your motel.

***I just sneak into the staff room. That's where we'll have our download meetings. It's a little cramped, but at least the AC works.

No food, you have to go into town. Be sure to bring your own drinking water and an ice chest.

***We will be supplying lunch, snacks, morning coffee service, bottled water, and Gatorade. We do that at all our events. I don't like leaving it up to you guys to have to worry about whether or not you remembered to get stuff like that. A well-fed, hydrated driver makes for a safer one! :)

Other than that, it's the Taj Mahal. :P

***Oh yeah, the Ritz for sure! That place reminds me so much of Thunderhill about TEN YEARS AGO. Lol.

P.S. If you are there on Saturday night at 6:00 p.m., be sure to walk over to the 3/8 mile dirt oval to watch the locals race around and crash into each other.

***I've yet to do that . . . maybe this time I will. They sure do kick up a dust!

BW

hagakure
09-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Well,

The weather in that area in late October is really nice, so that should not be an issue. I'm really hoping that this event comes together.

Percy

Bonster
09-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Well,

The weather in that area in late October is really nice, so that should not be an issue. I'm really hoping that this event comes together.

Percy

***Well, I've made a firm committment to it, so even if we don't have enough people, the event will still be ON. I've only cancelled one event ever in the past three or so years, and it broke my heart to do that to the drivers. Never again! We WILL be running, even if we only get a hand ful of cars. :D

BW

methods4
09-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Hey Percy,

Just caught up with this thread today. Count me in tentatively. Depends on my travel plans for work during that month. I've been itching to try this track ever since you, Evan and Tam went a few months ago.

Bonnie,

Thanks for organizing!

Bonster
09-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Bonnie,

Thanks for organizing!

***I will take my thanks in the form of a great big grin on your face (if you get to join us)! That's the best part about this "job" -- I get to not only help folks learn more about their cars and become better drivers -- but I get to watch them have so much fun doing it! I look forward to seeing you! Call in sick! Lol.

BW

Bonster
09-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Don't forget . . . the special NorCal Evo discount pricing is only good until September 20th -- just trying to get the track paid-off early! :) And as promised, see the registration form . . . that one's for you, Haga. :)

BW

Unowned
09-13-2005, 01:29 PM
i will sign up for a future event there, since i'm starting up in Nov and beyond with the new car

crctslt
09-20-2005, 10:02 PM
bumpity

vtluu
09-21-2005, 01:02 AM
Signed up and paid up. 8)

hagakure
09-21-2005, 09:02 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm signed up for saturday only...have to save my pennies, as I'm going to do the last NCRC T-hill event both days. I'll also have my MUELLERIZED Buddy Clubs by the R-F event! :twisted:

dohcvtec
09-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm signed up for saturday only...have to save my pennies, as I'm going to do the last NCRC T-hill event both days. I'll also have my MUELLERIZED Buddy Clubs by the R-F event! :twisted:
:shock:

I'm curious to see how well these guys perform.

Unowned
09-21-2005, 10:20 AM
Hey Guys,

Cool it sucks we signed NDAs we can't talk about specs to each other about the same setup :lol:

dohcvtec
09-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Hey Guys,

Cool it sucks we signed NDAs we can't talk about specs to each other about the same setup :lol:
WTF? What pansy shit is that? You can PM me the details, I wont say a word. ;)

Bonster
09-21-2005, 11:04 AM
Okay . . . novice here . . . what's a Muellerized Buddy Club and what are NDAs? Man . . . sometimes I'm happy I have a low hp car -- things stay simpler that way, lol. :?

BW

dohcvtec
09-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Okay . . . novice here . . . what's a Muellerized Buddy Club and what are NDAs? Man . . . sometimes I'm happy I have a low hp car -- things stay simpler that way, lol. :?

BW
haha
Muellerized Buddy Club = Buddy Club coilovers that have been modified by John Mueller.
NDA = Non Disclosure Agreement. The spring rates must be uber secret.. shhhh!! :P

earlyapex
09-21-2005, 11:45 AM
NDA = Non Disclosure Agreement. The spring rates must be uber secret.. shhhh!! :P

Not that secret. 8)

Bonster
09-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Oh, I see! I have uber springs on my uber SM car . . . but no ubercharger. I'll tell you my secret spring weight for money. ;) Seriously, thanks for telling me what you all were talking about. Seems like every kind of car out there has its own nomencalture. Lol.

BW

Bonster
09-29-2005, 10:53 PM
GREAT NEWS!!! We just got a bunch of new signups, and are up to about a dozen drivers. This is VERY GOOD. We still need more, but I'm glad to see that folks are finally sending in registrations! See you guys soon!!!

BW

PS -- this event will run even if we don't get the minimum number of drivers -- we don't do the cancel thing -- that's what profit is for (from previous events). :)

dohcvtec
09-30-2005, 11:07 AM
Just signed up for Saturday. See you guys there! I'll most likely be in the Honda. Lets see how my 150hp beater fairs against your Evos :)

Bonnie, will we be running any part of the newly developed track?

Unowned
09-30-2005, 12:49 PM
The spring rates must be uber secret.. shhhh!! :P

It's less the spring rates and more the alignment and shock settings for dampening and height... not that i know any of those settings.

methods4
09-30-2005, 12:57 PM
I've just signed up today. Had to beat the deadline. :)

Anyone mind giving me a ride in the first session for 2 or 3 laps so I can see what this track is like?

Bonni, is someone going to have a Hotlap trackside transmitter?

I can't wait to get beat up by Mike's Del Slo.

Bonster
09-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Couple answers to the questions . . .

The track just finished paving a couple days ago . . . but they still have to install berms, paint, test it, etc.. We will likely at least get to do parade laps at lunch (slower laps, no helmets required . . .) to get a glimpse of it. For sure our future events will include the new portion, but likely the fees will go up by ten or twenty bucks each to pay for the corner workers, etc..

I dunno if anyone is bringing a transmitter, but bring your hot lap timer just in case. We are not running official timed laps, but you are more than welcome to use your own system to check out your lap times.

BW

dohcvtec
09-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Phear me!

You can ride with me if you like, although last time I was on that track was like 3 months after they opened the very first portion of the road course. It was only like 1.2 miles then.

Bonster
09-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Phear me!
It was only like 1.2 miles then.

***ROFL . . . well, you know, it took proof to believe a Fiero was fast, too. We'll have to see whatcha got Mike. ;) Any car can be driven fast if there's a good driver behind the wheel. Anyway, the track is about 2.4 miles now without the new addition . . . it's actually a ton of fun. No worries though, we'll have some pace laps for all groups to familiarize you with it. And anytime someone needs help doing lead-follows, all ya gotta do is ask. We'll have our instructors there, too -- I'll be showing them the line first thing in the morning so that they will feel comfortable, as well.

You guys are gonna love this track! It's really fun!!! I like the "bowl" in turn ten . . . makes me feel like I'm in a NASCAR or something. You'll see . . .

BW

earlyapex
09-30-2005, 02:03 PM
well, you know, it took proof to believe a Fiero was fast, too.

Fiero? haha, next you are going to start talking about corvairs.

http://www.corvair.ca/images/Classic%20&%20Sports%20Car%20Corvair%20pic%20close%20up.JPG

dohcvtec
09-30-2005, 02:05 PM
Mmmm the Nordschleif (spelling?). Lets do a track event there. Maybe we can get a group buy on shipping our cars to Germany? :)

Bonster
09-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Fiero? haha, next you are going to start talking about corvairs.

***ROFL. There's a guy in the San Jose area who is a Fiero NUT. He's actually pretty cool . . . he can take about a 2:14 or so lap at Thunderhill in that thing. I was surprised. Talk about tossing a car around, sheesh! I laughed but had to show respect 'cause that's not a time to be ashamed of. He might be out instructing at Reno . . . you should catch a ride with him -- it's a hoot!

BW

Bonster
09-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Mmmm the Nordschleif (spelling?). Lets do a track event there. Maybe we can get a group buy on shipping our cars to Germany? :)

***RENTAL CARS!!! I got dibs on a Saturn! Lol.

BW

vtluu
10-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Hey, what are the odds that I'll encounter snow on the way to Reno in 3 weeks? Just wondering because my only street tires are Hankook RS2s that are close to the wear bars. (Anybody have some all-season wheel/tires I could borrow?)

Richard EVO
10-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Zero chance of snow in Reno in October.

vtluu
10-01-2005, 08:18 PM
I meant on the road to Reno, but I guess that's what you meant? It's just I've heard of people getting stopped and turned back because they don't have snow-capable tires... or would I get away with it because I have AWD?

Richard EVO
10-01-2005, 09:07 PM
In the third week of October? I doubt it.

dohcvtec
10-02-2005, 01:02 PM
In the third week of October? I doubt it.
Agreed.

Bonster
10-02-2005, 10:08 PM
I've been going up there for years, never caught snow in October. December maybe . . . October though, should be clear. If something crazy happens and the snow prevents us from getting there, I'll work on them to give us all refunds, no worries. :)

BW

Bonster
10-05-2005, 09:10 AM
GREAT NEWS! The new "technical" section will be open for our event, at no extra cost! This may be the only chance we'll have to run the full 4-mile course at this rate. If they were to charge us what they should be, we'd have to pay about $200 at least a piece! Sign up quick! ;)

BW

dohcvtec
10-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Just read your email about this Bonni. That is very exciting! 4 miles, holy smokes! :)

Bonster
10-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Just read your email about this Bonni. That is very exciting! 4 miles, holy smokes! :)

***Yeah . . . that means my Miata might get two laps in per 20-minute session. Lol, just kidding -- I'm not THAT slow. ;) But yes, it is really cool. Keigwins (motorcycle race group) is going out there this weekend to test on it. They will give the track folks their reactions as far as safety approaches and track surface, etc., are concerned. So while we won't be the first out there . . . we will be in the top three groups to break it in. Kewl. 8)

BW

methods4
10-05-2005, 10:05 AM
At just over 4mpg in my hooptie, I'm looking at what, 3 laps before my car starts sputtering?

:shock:

earlyapex
10-05-2005, 10:08 AM
Yea that is going to be one expensive gas event.

Have they upgraded their gas facilities? Hand pumping gas every 5th lap is gonna suck.

Bonster
10-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Yea that is going to be one expensive gas event.

Have they upgraded their gas facilities? Hand pumping gas every 5th lap is gonna suck.

***Are you serious? You run a tank of gas out in only 20 miles? Well, anyway . . . if we want to, we can easily set it up for just the regualr 15-turn 2.4 mile track. It's up to you guys mostly -- this is, after all, an event sponsored by TEAM for the Evo folks. Though, there aren't enough Evos signed up, lol.

As far as the pumps . . . last I heard (Friday) they are going to be doing it SOON . . . not sure of whether they'll have them by the time our event gets there. Thing is, it costs a lot of money to do that . . . which means there needs to be a lot more events and a lot more drivers. So if we all get a bunch of drivers out there, that'll be more money for the track and those pumps will go in a heck of a lot sooner. ;)

BW

earlyapex
10-05-2005, 10:20 AM
well I was exaggerating a bit. :)

man, the new track looks huge but tons of fun:

http://www.reno-fernleyraceway.com/images/Finalarielphase3.gif

dohcvtec
10-05-2005, 10:32 AM

A little bit? ;)
Honestly you'll burn just as much fuel as before because the length of the session is still 20 minutes, you'll just get less laps in :P Bonni, don't let these clowns talk you out of running the 4 mile. :)

Bonster
10-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Yeah, it does look big. The first 15 turns go by in under 2 minutes easily . . . I haven't run my racecar on the 2.4 mile yet, but I was getting around 1:40 driving a Corvette (and I was going a little slower than I might have if it were my own car) . . . the next buncha turns might take a little longer . . . I am still trying to figure out where it goes . . . most of the new turns are pretty obvious, but a track config map sure would be helpful. I have already requested one -- will put it up on the website as soon as I get something.

BW

Bonster
10-05-2005, 10:37 AM

Bonni, don't let these clowns talk you out of running the 4 mile. :)

***Lol. okay. It's your guys' gig, I just take orders. ;) BTW -- we need more Evos!!! Just thought I'd mention it. :D

BW

methods4
10-05-2005, 10:58 AM
I was exaggerating too. I would definitely rather run the 4mi course. :-)

I can't tell from the map, but are there any elevation changes on this course?

Also, how many Evo kiddies are signed up for this event?

1. Me
2. Percy
3. Tam
4. David Y.
5. Evan
6. ???

earlyapex
10-05-2005, 10:59 AM

A little bit? ;)
Honestly you'll burn just as much fuel as before because the length of the session is still 20 minutes, you'll just get less laps in :P Bonni, don't let these clowns talk you out of running the 4 mile. :)

Well, it looks to be a much higher speed track, which means you will be at WOT longer, thus burning more gas. 8)

I'm not trying to talk anybody out of running that config, I think it looks awesome. Hopefully I will be able to join you all!

crctslt
10-05-2005, 11:08 AM
I will be signing up today or tomorrow.

As far as the new 4 mi config...YES

It is a much higher speed track in the 2.4 config. Percy and me were running in the 1:35 range last time with GGLC. Just before the apex of what appears to be turn 6 or 7 I was WOT down the whole back section until the hard right that led to the bowl. Lots o' fun :D The gas situation wasn't that bad to me, YMMV.
Bonni please post possible config maps so we can put this to a vote and get it settled for you ASAP.

crctslt
10-05-2005, 11:12 AM

There is a small elevation change at turn 8. It's just enough that the apex isn't visible. It is easy to figure out you'll get it on the second or third try no sweat.

hagakure
10-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Looks like a ton of fun....would be nice to get a feel for the elevation changes.

It's a fast track. Last time I was there with Evan he ran 1:35 and could have gone much faster, and I was in the 1:36 range. Neither of us was really pushing, learning the track, and I had two rear hoosiers that were cording...so, in the old configuration times in the 1:30-1:32 range can be expected....hard to tell what the new track will yield, but it should be fun! Hope you can make it out Bryan.

Percy

earlyapex
10-05-2005, 11:14 AM
What speeds where you guys hitting in that big ass long straight?

hagakure
10-05-2005, 11:14 AM
BTW,

I'm also YES on the new configuration!

P

Absinthe
10-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Hey, what are the odds that I'll encounter snow on the way to Reno in 3 weeks? Just wondering because my only street tires are Hankook RS2s that are close to the wear bars. (Anybody have some all-season wheel/tires I could borrow?)

Actually contrary to what other people this board are saying snow over donner pass in late october is VERY possible, Boreal ridge routinely opens on or about halloween and has opened earlier in the past (as early as oct 11th). That said a storm of large enough proportions to stop you getting through are unlikely, however if it even looks like it might snow you should borrow tires with some tread on them. I have been caught in early season storms in tahoe on Z-rated rubber and its pretty scary.

dohcvtec
10-05-2005, 11:32 AM

1. Me
2. Percy
3. Tam
4. David Y.
5. Evan
6. ???
I'm signed up but most likely driving the Honda because I'm basically out of tire on the Advans, and I dont think my snow tires would work so well :P .

hagakure
10-05-2005, 11:43 AM

Not as fast as we could have. I was lifting quite a bit to get set-up for the turn-in to the essess in one, which we went into at 110-115....My higest speed was probably around 130.

Percy

Bonster
10-05-2005, 11:51 AM

1. Me
2. Percy
3. Tam
4. David Y.
5. Evan
6. ???

***Yes, there are definitely some elevation changes . . . not sure what the new track holds, but the previous 2.4 miler had several elevation changes and plenty of off-camber corners. I'll find out next week hopefully when I visit Fernley.

Folks signed up with their Evos (don't know real names versus list names):

Viet-Tam L.
Tony V.

And that's it so far. If I missed anyone, definitely let me know asap. Sometimes folks register online but forget to send me registration info. What's going on? I thought you guys wanted this -- I came through on my promise to organize it. So like I said -- we need more Evos! :)

earlyapex
10-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Not as fast as we could have. I was lifting quite a bit to get set-up for the turn-in to the essess in one, which we went into at 110-115....My higest speed was probably around 130.

Ok sounds a little bit faster than Thunderhill counter-clockwise.

Thunderhill clockwise I was hitting over 130. :shock:

crctslt
10-05-2005, 08:01 PM

Percy

Have to agree with Percy on this. I was entering the esses about 110-115. I don't think I was hitting 130 on the front as i was having a serious misfire issue that day. Guess my car wasn't liking 4000+ ft. elevation.

Bonster
10-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Wait a minute, you guys . . . do you mean you are at 115-ish in the esses? :shock: Or do you mean you hit 115 before you have to brake? I never look at my speedo at that point, but I don't think you can go through there at that speed can you? I'd think you'd get awfully light. Maybe I should look at my speedo through there next time -- now you got me curious. I know that the Miatas tend to rip through there faster than most . . . but not that fast. WOW.

I haven't had my racecar out there yet . . . just drove other cars and drove the track before when my car was still just a track rat (different suspension, brakes, etc. now) . . . I'm sure I was easily over 100 MPH by the flagger stand, but I don't remember and I have a lot more experience these days then I did then. Man, if you're going 115 in the esses, my helmet's off to ya. :)

BW

Richard EVO
10-06-2005, 11:09 AM
taken properly, the esses at Reno Fernley are almost a straight line

Bonster
10-06-2005, 12:13 PM
taken properly, the esses at Reno Fernley are almost a straight line

***Oh, I know that . . . I was just surprised by the speeds. I guess I'll have to look at the speedo next time. Maybe I'm going faster than I thought and just didn't notice it. But you can get pretty light through there. Not Sears Point light (their essess are much longer), but it can feel funky. :) But wait! That was back when I still had an open differential. I will be at Sears Point tomorrow . . . I wonder how it feels with the lsd in there. :D

BW

hagakure
10-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Wait a minute, you guys . . . do you mean you are at 115-ish in the esses? :shock: Or do you mean you hit 115 before you have to brake? I never look at my speedo at that point, but I don't think you can go through there at that speed can you? I'd think you'd get awfully light. Maybe I should look at my speedo through there next time -- now you got me curious. I know that the Miatas tend to rip through there faster than most . . . but not that fast. WOW.

I haven't had my racecar out there yet . . . just drove other cars and drove the track before when my car was still just a track rat (different suspension, brakes, etc. now) . . . I'm sure I was easily over 100 MPH by the flagger stand, but I don't remember and I have a lot more experience these days then I did then. Man, if you're going 115 in the esses, my helmet's off to ya. :)

BW

No, the speeds are correct. I think you can carry a lot more speed than that through there. Evan and I were not nearly at the limit. There was a guy in my group turning in at 125 into the essess in an elise. At the last ARC race there only 2 cars were not under 1:30...once you get the line down with no problems this is a FAST track. Times in the 1:36 range are pokin along for an Evo. But, no matter, we are runningt he big config anyway!:)

Percy

Bonster
10-06-2005, 12:50 PM
There was a guy in my group turning in at 125 into the essess in an elise. But, no matter, we are runningt he big config anyway!:)

Percy

***I guess I should try to check my speedo more often. Huh. I bet I am kickin' butt through there . . . sometimes it just doesn't feel fast . . . and then sometimes it feels fast but you're pokin. BTW, even with the big config, we'll still have those esses. I can't wait!

And btw . . . WE NEED MORE EVOS. I'm gonna keep raggin' on you guys, lol (you poor souls). ;)

BW

crctslt
10-06-2005, 08:06 PM
For those who have been to fernley since June, Have they done anything to repair the FIA curbing? I was not using the curbing at all as we were warned that it was possible to cut a tire on the curbing on the original section of the track. Repairs were supposed to take place. Just curious if they have. The esses would be alot nicer if I could straighten them out.

Richard EVO
10-06-2005, 09:13 PM
I was there in August. Some of the curbs have been redone, and are much smoother and re-painted. Mostly the back half of the track. Up through turn 7, they are still pretty gnarly. They also smoothed out that washboard surface on the back staight.

methods4
10-06-2005, 10:02 PM
<----Tony V.

vtluu = Tam

crctslt
10-06-2005, 10:10 PM
I was there in August. Some of the curbs have been redone, and are much smoother and re-painted. Mostly the back half of the track. Up through turn 7, they are still pretty gnarly. They also smoothed out that washboard surface on the back staight.

I have cracks in the gel coat of my helmet from that back straight.

So they haven't fixed the front side... :cry:

Bonster
10-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Hey Richard . . . I was at RFT last on August 13-14th with the Corvette Club . . . that "washboard" was still there if you stayed on line before the bowl (turn 9???). I had to take the cars inside a bit more than felt normal because it was obnoxious through there. Thank God I didn't have my SM that day -- I would have lost my guts I'm sure. Lol.

BW

Richard EVO
10-07-2005, 08:09 PM
I was there Aug. 16 & 17 at the TNL driving school, so I doubt they changed anything on Aug. 15. Maybe you never drove the "washboard" back straight. By mid-Aug., it was smoothed out a lot. Still not flat, but much better than it was in June, when it was like running over 100 little speed bumps.

Bonster
10-07-2005, 08:51 PM
By mid-Aug., it was smoothed out a lot. Still not flat, but much better than it was in June, when it was like running over 100 little speed bumps.

***Oh crap, you're kidding! It was worse?!? I was warned by ET about driving the Corvettes (obvously high-powered, at times somewhat twitchy beasts -- but I love it!) to stay away from that portion of the track. I bet my SM would HATE it. That thing can feel a dang bird feather! Lol.

BW