PDA

View Full Version : Stock Flywheel?

z_drifto
09-07-2005, 09:12 PM
Does anybody know how much the stock flywheel weighs? Thanks. 8)

Boostd4
09-07-2005, 09:26 PM

Not sure of the exact weight, a little side note though...I had an interesting conversation with Kirk at Works. Apparently the stock flywheel is the cause of some early stock clutch failures...anyone have any additional info about this?

Matz
09-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Not sure of the exact weight, a little side note though...I had an interesting conversation with Kirk at Works. Apparently the stock flywheel is the cause of some early stock clutch failures...anyone have any additional info about this?

It would be interesting to hear more about this. I don't see how a flywheel can cause early clutch problems, though. Please enlighten me!

chrisw
09-08-2005, 08:07 AM

~18lbs.

z_drifto
09-08-2005, 08:24 PM

It would be interesting to hear more about this. I don't see how a flywheel can cause early clutch problems, though. Please enlighten me!

Wow. I would love to know more about this too.

lqdchkn
09-08-2005, 09:28 PM

From what I've heard and read (Turbo article) the stock flywheel doesn't dissapate (s/p) heat very well and excess heat is a killer for clutches. That was about it.

Matz
09-08-2005, 10:07 PM
From what I've heard and read (Turbo article) the stock flywheel doesn't dissapate (s/p) heat very well and excess heat is a killer for clutches. That was about it.

Ah, thank you... I do remember reading that article in Turbo, actually. The thermal conductivity of steel is much lower than aluminum.

MarkSAE
09-08-2005, 10:40 PM

~18lbs.

According to http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo/nonameclutch.htm, it's

The stock EVO flywheel is already fairly light at 14.4 lbs.

XVeloX
09-08-2005, 11:48 PM
well i can tell you from my own experience with stock flywheels...

My stock clutch was starting to mildly slip about a month after i bought the car... :x Anyways, when i went to get my spec stage 1 clutch and aluminum flywheel put in, i asked the guy for my stock flywheel. I dont know if it is all evo's or just mine, but over time the flywheel was only making contact with the clutch in 3 spots, each about the size of a half dollar. the flywheel was also starting to become cup shaped. I heald the son of a bitch and it feels like it weighs about 15 or more lbs.

Also, when i had the stock clutch, i burned it twice and i could smell it for about an hour, no joke. It does not disapate heat well at all. Now with the aluminum flywheel even on launches, the smell lasts for maybe 10 seconds on the crappy launches. btw my clutch still bites like a mother, it has held up well considering the abuse i give it. Also feels like i'm putting more power to the ground with the new setup, it definately revs quicker.

Boostd4
09-09-2005, 08:49 AM

Well, from what Kirk was describing apparently there are a lot of flywheels that end up warping due to this heat. At that point the thing is pretty much toast because resurfacing won't even fix the problem.