PDA

View Full Version : Evo Owners with upgraded Cams passing CA Smog

mygsx
09-08-2005, 05:03 AM
Anyone with Works 269 cams, or GSC/Buddyclub/HKS 264 or 272 pass CA smog tests. If anyone out there has, would you post up what your HC, CO and O2 counts/readings were at the time of passing smog.Thanks 8)

evo_dadi
09-08-2005, 06:59 AM
mitsuman did it to his evo already and passed but not sure what cams he has Check here (http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5552&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

JanSolo
09-08-2005, 09:40 AM
The WORKS 269 cams are cleaner than stock emission levels.

vtluu
09-08-2005, 10:52 AM
The WORKS 269 cams are cleaner than stock emission levels.
Really? I'd better do my part for the environment then and get them. :twisted:

JanSolo
09-08-2005, 11:04 AM

Pete showed me the sniffer test results from and I think it was Stockdale's car. Cleaner than stock is was it showed, but you could always call him to get the data confirmed.

MitsuMan
09-08-2005, 06:30 PM

Pete showed me the sniffer test results from and I think it was Stockdale's car. Cleaner than stock is was it showed, but you could always call him to get the data confirmed.
I'm sorry but no freakin way(well I've never thought it was posible)
how do you make power and reduce emissions at the same time. its not like we have BMW's solinoided valve train
next you'll be getting better gas milage and be making more power too it doesn't work that way those must be real mild cams or something
oh and yes the factory cat will cover up your cams see my post

JanSolo
09-08-2005, 07:22 PM
It's true. They should pipe in since it isn't my responsiblity, but I saw it for myself with my own two eyes.

MitsuMan
09-08-2005, 07:36 PM
will wonders never seseis I can't spell

LEVIII
09-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Wont a flash give you better MPG and better performance?

MitsuMan
09-08-2005, 08:04 PM
maybe leaner at cruise and richer at WOT that would work thats why the Bimmers with 1 solinoid per valve are so bad ass the computer can change lift and duration in a split sec 8) 8) 8)
"in the yeeaarr two thouusaand" ya know like the Connan O'Brian shop :lol: :lol:

chrisw
09-09-2005, 09:06 AM

I'm sorry but no freakin way(well I've never thought it was posible)
how do you make power and reduce emissions at the same time. its not like we have BMW's solinoided valve train
next you'll be getting better gas milage and be making more power too it doesn't work that way those must be real mild cams or something
oh and yes the factory cat will cover up your cams see my post

It's called effiency. Make a turbo motor more efficient, then it will make more (or the same power as stock) using less fuel.

It's only hard to do because you eventually get carried away with bigger and bigger HP gains... :twisted:

JanSolo
09-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Wont a flash give you better MPG and better performance?

Yeah if they lean it out AFR, I would think so.

MitsuMan
09-09-2005, 09:46 PM
you know nothing about combustion chamber design and burn time and how the flame front travels don't talk about efficiency to me I want to know how bigger cams change the burn time for the better(cleaner)
somebody should call Mitsubishi and start schooling their engineers

Evo442
09-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Well... I've got the works tr340 package, and really dont care at this point if I can pass smog or not, since with Arnold in office I wont have to find out till what... 2009?

But if one of you wants to prove the point, you can smog my car (ie pay for it), and we can find out!

:D

lqdchkn
09-09-2005, 09:54 PM
you know nothing about combustion chamber design and burn time and how the flame front travels don't talk about efficiency to me I want to know how bigger cams change the burn time for the better(cleaner)
somebody should call Mitsubishi and start schooling their engineers

Bigger cams ( Lift ) don't have anything to do with overlap which is what effects "burn time" as you put it.

warpspeed
09-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Back to the question. It depends on how much lift and duration the cam has. If you go too extreme, it won't pass smog. But with a little more lift or duration cam from stock, it can pass smog. Now with the subject of the Works set up running cleaner.......maybe because if they tune the ecu with the cam and running it a little leaner, than you can possibly run clean but not cleaner.

JanSolo
09-11-2005, 09:41 PM
maybe because if they tune the ecu with the cam and running it a little leaner, than you can possibly run clean but not cleaner.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showpost.php?p=2339358&postcount=7

MitsuMan
09-13-2005, 09:19 PM
man smoke another brother and lqdchkn theres alot more in cams then just lift son and most tuners degree the cams off from o usually retarded. doesn't this change the overlap?