PDA

View Full Version : changing springs?

redtydsf
09-08-2005, 01:43 PM
wanted to find out if anybody has done their own spring/suspension changes, is there a thread showing what tools i might need, step by step removal and replacement ( a buddy and i will be using his shop after hours :twisted: )

zyounker
09-08-2005, 01:58 PM
You will want 2 19MM either socket or wrenches. One of each would be best. also just a normal set of socket/wrenches.. (19MMs do not always come in sets people buy)

Also a spring compressor to hold the springs when you take them apart.. The springs/struts can be removed without the spring compressor though.. Just need a little muscle.

After you are done go get an alighnment because it is gonna be way off.. Pay attention to your toe settings.

Boostd4
09-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Its really self explanitory. I've done it twice to my Evo in my garage with hand tools, a jack, and jack stand. I've got it down to an hour and a half for the whole car. Easiest suspension that I've done so far.

redtydsf
09-08-2005, 03:40 PM
thanks! just the answers i was lookin for :D so what is the average cost of an alignment these days?

zyounker
09-08-2005, 04:36 PM
$60-100

L84AD8
09-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Here's a link. It has many self-help stuff on there when it comes to DIY.

http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tPath=3_12&tech_id=22

MitsuMan
09-08-2005, 06:00 PM
no spring compressor needed trust me its just like a honda the springs aren't hardly compressed

jack up car, take off wheels get a bungee cord to hang the rotors/calipers/knuckles (all together don't take apart) by soo you don't damage the abs wires or the brake lines by stretching them.

then note the position of the lower strut bolt though the steering knuckle
it has offsets for 2 positions more positive or neg camber you should put it back the same way it came off and then have it aligned

remove the 2 large bolts at the bottom of the strut
remove the 10 mm bolt for the brake lines to the strut
remove the 3 14mm nut on top of strut tower and drop out the strut from the car

then simply put the strut on the ground with the bottom of it against a tire/wheel, (using an impact gun w/compressed air is easiest) brace your foot against the top of the strut and zip off the nut

the strut will expand only like 1-2inches and it won't shoot off and kill someone its nothing at all really I promise

line up the new spring the way it fits on the strut and do the same with the upper bearing plate
have your buddy hold down pressure againts the upper plate to slightly compress the new sring so you can start the nut(this will vary on how low the springs are) I did 1.2ish drop w/tanabe sustec's and it was easy

the rears are the same except their easier cause there's less pressure on the spring

oh be carefull not to bump/scratch the calipers cause if you do then water will get behind the clear coat and they'll turn white!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats it reverse proceedure to install
http://tinypic.com/dhftkl.jpg

redtydsf
09-09-2005, 02:05 PM
overwhelming response, thanks!!!!!!!! :D thanks for the help, by the way how do those Megans feel? (are those megans, i could be blind)

earlyapex
09-09-2005, 02:12 PM
You're f'in crazy not to use a spring compressor

vtluu
09-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Figure the stock spring rate is around 200 lbs/in, so 2" of preload is 400 lbs of force. I don't know about "shooting off and killing someone" but that's a lot of energy to suddenly release and a big potential for injuring yourself.

Just play it safe and borrow a spring compressor from Autozone--it's free too (refundable deposit).

zyounker
09-09-2005, 02:24 PM

+1

Use a spring compressor when taking them apart.. It may only be an inch, but that is a lot of energy stored up.. Good way to break your hand if you dont use one.

methods4
09-09-2005, 02:48 PM
I remember watching my friend remove the stock springs from my Honda back in the day. Scariest shit ever. Basically he would undo the top nut until it was allllmost off and just turn it a millimeter at a time and move his hand away really fast so he wouldn't get blasted. Once that top nut popped off, the top assembly went flying everywhere. Then we had spend an hour trying find whatever washers and bushings flew off. I made sure I stayed way out of the way when he was removing those springs.

vtluu
09-09-2005, 02:54 PM
I remember watching my friend remove the stock springs from my Honda back in the day. Scariest shit ever. Basically he would undo the top nut until it was allllmost off and just turn it a millimeter at a time and move his hand away really fast so he wouldn't get blasted. Once that top nut popped off, the top assembly went flying everywhere. Then we had spend an hour trying find whatever washers and bushings flew off. I made sure I stayed way out of the way when he was removing those springs.
Must not have been a really good friend, if that was my friend I would have taken away his tools and locked them up until he agreed to do it the right way. :) That kind of stuff sounds like a Darwin Award waiting to happen.

MarkSAE
09-09-2005, 04:38 PM
I had the top hat of a spring/strut assembly shoot into my knee once. This was the first time I ever lowered a car. After taking the top nut off, the top hat was stuck. I was standing about 8 feet away when my friend was hammering it and it shot off. Fock that hurt. Left a big bruise but no broken bones.

Boostd4
09-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Yeah, use spring compressors. Not only is it potentially dangerous to not use them, but you may also damage the threads on the strut when the nut is suddenly shot off the top.

wrx2evo8
09-09-2005, 05:27 PM
those springs are the tenabe gf210's that's what i've got on mine...

compressor recommended... it was easy as hell with it and not nervous about killing myself.. :lol:

MitsuMan
09-09-2005, 09:34 PM
he he you guys are pussys I've done this like 20 -30 times on all types of cars Its real easy and the stock spring only expands like 1-2 inchs and just makes a quick thump If you don't belive me I'll do it for you I guess just leave it to a professional

But I am very honest with what I say I don't want anyone to get hurt I wouldn't tell you to do something dangerous

I mean it its real real easy to do but you must use a air powered or electic impact gun don't do it by hand, you'll end up struggling cause the whole strut shaft will turn with the nut

vtluu
09-09-2005, 10:02 PM
I don't doubt you, but I think those of us who haven't done it 20-30 times are better off playing it safe.

redtydsf
09-10-2005, 08:55 AM
he he you guys are pussys I've done this like 20 -30 times on all types of cars Its real easy and the stock spring only expands like 1-2 inchs and just makes a quick thump If you don't belive me I'll do it for you I guess just leave it to a professional

But I am very honest with what I say I don't want anyone to get hurt I wouldn't tell you to do something dangerous

I mean it its real real easy to do but you must use a air powered or electic impact gun don't do it by hand, you'll end up struggling cause the whole strut shaft will turn with the nut

Yea borrowing some space at my buddys shop to do this to cut the install time down. I'm sure this question has been asked before, are there any special tools out there i should be aware of B4 i get to the AW $hit part of the job? I sorta printed out a book from all the replies and the "EVOMOTO"
page :lol:

vtluu
09-10-2005, 09:03 AM
The EvoMoto page said to use a spring compressor, so if you're following that too you're all set. :)

turbotiger
09-10-2005, 02:44 PM
I hear the trick on the fronts of a mcpherson strut is to unbolt the top nut with the wheels still on the ground, and then slowly jack up the front of the car with the jack. That should unload the springs slowly and not have it shoot around.

But I have never tried this myself, I just borrowed a set of spring compressors.

EVO GRIM
09-10-2005, 04:01 PM
I hear the trick on the fronts of a mcpherson strut is to unbolt the top nut with the wheels still on the ground, and then slowly jack up the front of the car with the jack. That should unload the springs slowly and not have it shoot around.

But I have never tried this myself, I just borrowed a set of spring compressors.

Thats a good one. Should work, but will it work to put the new ones back on?

vtluu
09-10-2005, 05:06 PM
That could work, yes. But it would be just as simple to use a spring compressor. :thumbsup:

smack
09-10-2005, 07:15 PM

that's how i did it on all my cars before i got a spring compressor. works fine.
and putting it back together is easy because the new springs are shorter than stock
so you can get everything together by hand.

zyounker
09-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Break the top nut on the strut before taking the strut out in the front.. It is much easier when in the car..

You will need a deepwell socket to do this.

smack
09-10-2005, 08:11 PM
after reading what i wrote i think i should clarify.
i would take the wheel off, get the car up on a jack stand, then use the
floor jack under the knuckle to compress the spring. easy and quick

redtydsf
09-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Break the top nut on the strut before taking the strut out in the front.. It is much easier when in the car..

what size is that deepwell socket, 19?

zyounker
09-15-2005, 05:12 PM

what size is that deepwell socket, 19?

You got it.

I don't mean to take the nut off either, just break it while its on the car..