PDA

View Full Version : Sac Raceway--March 3 (wednesday)

thomas
02-29-2004, 07:29 PM
sup fellas,

some of us from sac are gonna be at the wednesday nite drags this wednesday. it starts at 5pm and ends roughly around 10. i think its $15 to race and $6 to spectate. let me kno whos interested.

my buddy with his 5.0 will be there also. open invite to all... :)

ytsejam
02-29-2004, 08:54 PM
i'll be there but most likely around 8PM

Dogtown
02-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Wish I could make it but I'll be in Elizibeth City NC for a couple days. Once I get my stage 1 installed (I'm praying the parts get in next week) I want to go to a wednesday night. You be willing to go again Thomas?

nebolic
02-29-2004, 10:29 PM
i will try to make it depending on if i get my darn car back.

uhoh_evo
03-01-2004, 12:42 AM
interested, but i don't think i'm confident enough in my launching skills to participate...i'll probably just spectate

CollinsT
03-01-2004, 12:42 AM
I can make it so count me in, I work day on wednesday so I can check it out. I want to take a ride in a Xflash car ( eddy ) and then one in a p2 works one ( tommy ) so mayeb we can do it then. OK Ill give you a call later

nebolic
03-01-2004, 12:49 AM
the xflash car is out of commission as we speak (eletrical problem) and thanks collinsT for letting me know about it, the car may or may not be fixed by wednesday, we shall see. Praying to the Evo god as we speak.

thomas
03-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Wish I could make it but I'll be in Elizibeth City NC for a couple days. Once I get my stage 1 installed (I'm praying the parts get in next week) I want to go to a wednesday night. You be willing to go again Thomas?

for sure...

juss hit me up, you got my number rite?

eh, collins...give me a ring. ill prolly be there at or around 5pm wed. with a buddy from hercules (5.0.) not sure how many times down the track ill be able to run. i think they require a helmet if you break 13s, no?

guess well find out :shock:

uh_oh evo, no worries mang! im sure without a launch our evos will get good times...but if not, juss come spectate. its always pretty tite checking out who posts what in their rides...

thomas
03-03-2004, 10:11 PM
THE RESULTS ARE IN!!!

hmmm, i dont kno where to start. im happy/pissed/frustrated/confused, yet content with my runs...sorta :?

juss got back from sac raceway. my quickest run was 14.03

2nd: 14.19

3rd: 14.69

i launched all three runs from about 3000-3500 rpm, nothing higher than 4000. bogged the last run bad. but my first one was pretty good. smoked my clutch, but it was to be my fastest. heres the info for run #1:

car: 6414
reaction: .201 (yea i kno, false start!)
1: 2.215
2: 5.944
3: 9.074
MPH (I3): 78.993
4: 11.756

E.T.: 14.033
MPH: 99.396

dont kno really what else to say. i kno that i gots all summer to break the 13s now!!! and yes, oh yes, it will be done. i think i juss need to launch at a higher RPM, and stop being so paranoid about breaking something.

the good news is im 3-0 :D i beat a (newer) grand am, an integ, and lastly a wrx (whose dail-in was 13.80, and was wearing a helmet) HA, smoked 'em...i think he ran a 15.310

oh, on a sidenote...my reaction times for my 2nd run was 0.829 and 3rd run was 0.730, not bad for my first time out...

EvolvedDSM
03-03-2004, 10:29 PM
Your 60' time is killing you. If you can drop that down to a reasonable 2.0, then you should be a solid 13 sec pass. A 5 grand launch will net 1.8 to 1.9 short times and you'll be mid 13's at the end.

thomas
03-03-2004, 10:41 PM
thx jamie :wink:
my buddy told me the same thing, he said if i drop the 60' time to about a consistent 1.8-2.0, i should be able to drop a half a sec off (0.5-0.6).

will our clutches hold at 5k though, y'kno what i mean...that gets me a lil' nervous.

cant wait till next time.

Dogtown
03-04-2004, 12:06 AM
When I went out to Sac Raceway I saw a guy in a silver Evo running 13's all he had was a downpipe. He said the same thing just to launch from about 5k and that he hasn't had any problems. He also said be careful not to over rev or you might be goin sideways haha. Just so you know your times are pretty much the same as the ones I got first time I went out to the track. Anyway next time I go I hope to do better. Let me know next time you go I'd love to get up there for another 1/4 mile run.

thomas
03-04-2004, 12:57 AM
yea cool, dogtown. it mite be in the next couple of weeks. i think i work next wed...

im "pulsing" the throttle at staging, does anybody else do differently. like hold the rpms to 5k and then drop? i shouldve switched it up a bit, but i was to into "trying" to beat my previous time.

i was told, back in the day, that youre suppose to try and keep you turbo spooling as much as possible when you launch so the only way would be to keep revving the engine so the boost ups???

any info?

evo_dadi
03-04-2004, 08:29 AM
ive been kinda practicing launching my evo but mostly doing 0-60 not a full 1/4.and i noticed that pulsing the throttle works better than holding the throttle then dropping. plus i keep a check on my boost gauge and when im at 0.0 or higher thats when i launch it so there's less of a chance of bogging. but those are some good times thomas im kinda interested on how i would do on a 1/4 also.

EvolvedDSM
03-04-2004, 08:35 AM
Practice, practice, practice... and I don't mean on the street ;) The track is a totally different compound and is usually much less forgiving. I would suggest starting with a 4K to 4.5K launch--hold it steady and swiftly release the clutch pedal while mashing the gas. If you start at 5K, it's very easy to over-rev and slip/smoke the clutch. Once you have more control at the lower RPM launches, then you can build up to the higher ones.

I've got ~50 track launches on my stock clutch (not counting street and auto-x starts--sometimes w/ multiple passengers :)) and mine is holding fine. I've managed to heat it up beyond what it should be and have had to let it cool for a bit, but no issues whatsoever. At the Shootout last summer, I put about half of that abuse on the clutch in that 3 day weekend and then drove it cross-country shortly thereafter w/o even thinking twice about it.

Back to the practice thing: When I first started drag racing in my DSM, I was running 14.7s with about $1500 invested. I was able to get it down to 13.9 with very little changes in my mods (a new clutch brought it down to 13.5 via a 1.7 60'). Years later when I started over on another DSM, I took it out and ran it bone stock + free mods (clutch restrictor, BCS restrictor and partial MAS honeycomb removal) and ran the same 14.7 that took me well over a grand to accomplish just a couple of years prior.

I need to get out and join you guys so I can improve upon my 13.4@102 on a so-so 1.9 60' (bone stock minus air filter) :skid:

*Your results may vary :)

ytsejam
03-04-2004, 09:44 AM
tommy well said, sorry for not believing you bro, i thought that you have to wear helmet, and i don't have one.
i'd prolly run the same #s since i wouldn't be launching it...LOL...i am not ready to spend those $$$ for a new clutch just yet.

Airgiod
03-04-2004, 06:02 PM
hey thomas..you were in the black evo right? I'm the guy that was in the red one :D my time trial was the only good run i had all night

on a side note: dogtown...are you USCG cause that the only good reason i can think for you to be going to elizabeth city(used to live out there :D)

thomas
03-04-2004, 08:27 PM
thanks everyone for the advice. im definitely gonna try both ways of launching next time, on the street, juss to get a feel of whats better for me. err, did i say street, i meant track...haha.

i juss gotta "commit" to the launch :wink:

hey airgiod, welcome aboard. glad you found the site ok. y'kno, thats my first card i passed out to a fellow evo owner! haha.

hey G, no worries mang. i was confused why you didnt believe me? anyway, next time you better run with me, fool!o.

Dogtown
03-05-2004, 01:39 PM
hey thomas..you were in the black evo right? I'm the guy that was in the red one :D my time trial was the only good run i had all night

on a side note: dogtown...are you USCG cause that the only good reason i can think for you to be going to elizabeth city(used to live out there :D)

Yeah I'm over at the Pac Strike Team playing with Oil, Chemical and Bio response stuff. I'm going out for an IT Working Group. I had my dates confused I'm actually going out there monday next week hehe, but Sac raceway is enough of a drive I'd need to get the next day off to avoid driving back kind of late.

Airgiod
03-05-2004, 07:06 PM
oh figured you worked C-130s if you were in cali and going to E city

Dogtown
03-05-2004, 07:12 PM
My dad used to. He was stationed in sac so I grew up there.

Airgiod
03-05-2004, 11:25 PM
lol..my dad still worked them up until he made E-9 a year or 2 ago...now they got him on a desk in MI

BluEvo
03-06-2004, 01:26 AM
tommy well said, sorry for not believing you bro, i thought that you have to wear helmet, and i don't have one.
my take is we should wear a helmet when racing anyway. if it's one thing that you want to keep protected, it's your head. :wink:
last i was there, you were required to wear a helmet if you were running in the outlaw class (13.99-11.99)? is that still the requirements?

Dogtown
03-06-2004, 02:47 AM
lol..my dad still worked them up until he made E-9 a year or 2 ago...now they got him on a desk in MI

In that case our parents probably know eachother My dad retired as an E9 in 98.

Airgiod
03-06-2004, 07:33 PM
we'l have to talk more if you're at the meet tonight.

thomas
03-08-2004, 05:47 PM
my take is we should wear a helmet when racing anyway. if it's one thing that you want to keep protected, it's your head. :wink:
last i was there, you were required to wear a helmet if you were running in the outlaw class (13.99-11.99)? is that still the requirements?

under 13.99 you need a helmet.

under 11.99 you need a roll-cage. (i think)

from what i heard, sac raceway finally changed their reaction times. i guess its on a range of 0.0 - 1.0, 0.0 being perfect...instead of 0.5

EvolvedDSM
03-08-2004, 05:55 PM
The cage rule has changed to 11.49 and quicker for street driven vehicles.