PDA

View Full Version : Black smoke from my Evo?

LEVIII
09-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Why when I down shift or simply just get on it am I getting a puff of black smoke? Is it bad?

earlyapex
09-10-2005, 12:52 AM
Why when I down shift or simply just get on it am I getting a puff of black smoke? Is it bad?

Do any mods recently? Black smoke is usually unburnt fuel. Have a boost leak maybe?

racer1
09-10-2005, 12:57 AM
I'd like an answer to this too.
I was watching a video of me and a friend at t-hill and my car would always shoot a big puff of exaust on downshifts while his was mutch less.
We have all the same mods except he is dynoflashed and I am x-flashed. Does this just mean I'm running too rich?

earlyapex
09-10-2005, 01:03 AM
I'd like an answer to this too.
I was watching a video of me and a friend at t-hill and my car would always shoot a big puff of exaust on downshifts while his was mutch less.
We have all the same mods except he is dynoflashed and I am x-flashed. Does this just mean I'm running too rich?

Yea on off-throttle, thats normal for most shiv-tuned cars. Black smoke like I said above is usually unburnt fuel. My car smokes screens people when I bang off the rev-limiter.

Cool people have black smoke *and* flames. 8)

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/albums/thunderhill_03_30_05/tony_fireball.jpg

LEVIII
09-10-2005, 08:36 AM
Actually the only mods I have done recently were to take off my HKS SSQV that I was VTA and take off my HKS RS intake. I took those off while I was looking for a boost leak which I found and fixed, no more leaks now, she is as tight as a dolphin.

But I have my UTEC and HKS 272/272 cams and gears waiting to be put on. Once I put those on I will be leaning it our so this may stop then? I dont really care as long as it is nothing bad.

earlyapex
09-10-2005, 10:54 AM
so you put your stock airbox back on? the open intake was probably leaning you out a tad, now that you put the stock airbox back on you are running a tad richer, so now you are noticing the black smoke.

That's my theory at least. 8)

LEVIII
09-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Yeah but when I put the stock air box back on I also fixed a boost leak that was REALLY bad. My boost gauge wouldnt even go above 2psi during testing.

Matz
09-10-2005, 11:09 PM
I don't want to hijack this post, but a friend came by today with his Evo, which has the ABM and P2 Flash. His exhaust has never been washed, and he's had it a little longer than I have, but it's totally clean. My exhaust is completely black. What's up with that?

LEVIII
09-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Im guessing by what I read is that his is cleaner then yours? Cause Im not sure by what you wrote what you mean.

Matz
09-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Im guessing by what I read is that his is cleaner then yours? Cause Im not sure by what you wrote what you mean.

Yeah, my bad, thanks. I edited my post to reflect this accidental omission.

MitsuMan
09-13-2005, 09:27 PM
do you have a cat
if not then there you go
black is fuel white is water and blue is oil most cars nomatter the make or engine size puff black at WOT and rev limit ect its normal

oh and why were you going to put in big cams and the run leaner I hope you don't go too lean

leaner with stock cams give power but with cams you better get a good mixture

nice FIREBALL RYU sweet you look like a suby now

LEVIII
09-13-2005, 10:14 PM
IM going to retune when I do the cams and shoot for about 11.3 AFR. IM guessing with my mods right now and stock ECU I would be at about 10ish