PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Chatter, even worse with new clutch

Nobodyx
09-09-2005, 11:52 PM
So my friends Evo's clutch was really grabby. She roasted it a few times (steep driveway, SF streets, 20K miles) and it disengaged in like the last 1/2" (it seemed) of the pedal being completely out. In first the car would buck like crazy and there was just no way to get it to accelerate smoothly from first--minor adjustment of the pedal helped the engagement point, but not the chatter.

So she scores a new Stg 1 clutch and flywheel from Works and has 'em install it yesterday. She said it was still pretty grabby and now makes noise, but that once it worked itself in it'd be fine (though it'd probably need some adjustment). She said it was pretty bad so I drove it tonight and my god--I've never driven a car with worse clutch chatter. It bucks like crazy and it rattles (actually makes a noise) sometimes when the pedal is let out in first. All other gears shift fine.

Any ideas on what the hell is going on?

DRFTR8
09-10-2005, 12:03 AM
that problem you have with the clutch is common with the evo.. mine makes alot of noise and i took it in to the dealership and shop foreman who has been a mitsubishi tech for 15 years said that its like that.. but if you want that car to accelerate smoothly get yourself an engine dampner.. it helps alot.. i had that problem when you let off the clutch the car would buck but now its smooth as hell... so you can try that, its a cheap mod and it works...

Matz
09-10-2005, 12:05 AM
that problem you have with the clutch is common with the evo.. mine makes alot of noise and i took it in to the dealership and shop foreman who has been a mitsubishi tech for 15 years said that its like that.. but if you want that car to accelerate smoothly get yourself an engine dampner.. it helps alot.. i had that problem when you let off the clutch the car would buck but now its smooth as hell... so you can try that, its a cheap mod and it works...

Did you get the WR damper, or the Stillway?

Nobodyx
09-10-2005, 12:06 AM
I've got an Evo and two friends (including the one with the clutch problem) have 'em, too. We're not talking a little bit of chatter...we're talking THE WORST CLUTCH I HAVE EVER DRIVEN ON THE STREET. Like someone is rear ending you at 5mph 3 times a second. It isn't normal. Something is wrong.

earlyapex
09-10-2005, 12:50 AM
Who installed it? Ask them to redo their shiaaty arse install job?

DRFTR8
09-10-2005, 12:58 AM

Did you get the WR damper, or the Stillway?

i have the WR damper..but both a good... its just the price difference

vtluu
09-10-2005, 01:17 AM
:roll: The problem existed before and after the new clutch. Which tells me it wasn't a clutch problem to begin with.

We all know you have an axe to grind with WORKS. Give it a rest.

earlyapex
09-10-2005, 09:34 AM
:roll: The problem existed before and after the new clutch. Which tells me it wasn't a clutch problem to begin with.

We all know you have an axe to grind with WORKS. Give it a rest.

Did I say anything about WORKS? I wasn't saying anything about them.

I was saying you should ask the people who installed everything why it's all buggered up. Get off the sack dood.

Nobodyx
09-10-2005, 09:50 AM
I'm not saying Works did anything wrong with the installation, but I would think that a mechanic would have known something was wrong the first time they let the clutch out.

Any ideas on what would be causing this? Would a bleed help anything? Could it be a ucked up transmission or engine mount?

earlyapex
09-10-2005, 09:53 AM
but I would think that a mechanic would have known something was wrong the first time they let the clutch out.

Exactly what I was trying to say. Too bad the WERX CHEERLEADER sounded the alarm.

You might want to try to adjust the master cylinder adjustment that is under the dash. See if it gets any better or worse with the adjustment. Also wouldn't hurt to bleed the slave cylinder..

Usually chatter is because of the mating of the disk and flywheel so those things above might not help if it's something with the actual clutch assembly.

All these things the mechanic should have noticed on the test drive and should have at least checked and informed her of.

RSpilot
09-16-2005, 10:46 PM
It sounds like you may be describing "chatter" after actual clutch take-up is complete. If so check your throttle cable adjustment. If there is too much slack in it, when at light throttle or backing off this allows the throttle body to react to body/engine motion. If it truly is clutch chatter, it sounds as if the flywheel was not properly re-surfaced after getting smoked by the old clutch. If all they did was R&R the disc & pressure plate and scotch brite the flywheel(all too common), then this will be your problem. ALL signs of heat checks MUST be removed in order for you to have smooth take-up with any new clutch(lining).

Jamie@WORKS
09-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Both the clutch and flywheel were replaced. A follow-up appointment was scheduled for last week, but we were informed that all is well. Turns out it things just needed time to properly seat between all the surfaces (which is what we had initally thought) and the chatter has gone away. Regardless, the owner is planning to bring the car back once a few hundred miles are on the new setup so that we can ensure pedal ajustment, etc... are all within spec.

MitsuMan
09-19-2005, 05:31 PM
if the clutch is pretty high performance it'll have some of the spings taken out of the disc, or it'll have stronger ones. this is common on performance clutches until they seat and form a good wear pattern on the pressure plat and fly wheel. the stiff springs in the disc limit drivetrain back lash and make the car buck more( or make the clutch a little unforgiving when you try to let it out slow)

RSpilot
09-19-2005, 10:16 PM
funny how it takes the shop that did the work to mention that the flywheel had also been replaced :roll:

Nobodyx
09-20-2005, 04:36 PM
RS....read the first post. I did mention that the flywheel had been replaced. First sentence, second paragraph. :roll:

Again, if feeling like you've been rear ended every time you let the clutch out in first is normal, then I guess her car was normal. Something else perhaps was wrong and the extra friction from the new clutch I think made it more pronounced. It got better (could it have been oil on the surface?), but it was still not what I'd consider normal.

In any event, she traded the car in on something more sedate, so all is well.

RSpilot
09-20-2005, 10:58 PM
[quote="Nobodyx"]RS....read the first post. I did mention that the flywheel had been replaced. First sentence, second paragraph. :roll:

:oops: my bad