PDA

View Full Version : NCE Member Wins at 2005 SCCA ProSolo Finale

vtluu
09-11-2005, 11:29 PM
Looking at the results of this weekend's SCCA ProSolo Finale (http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/File/solo-05finale.pdf) I'm happy to report that Navid won the combined BSP/ESP class! (ProSolo rules are such that classes are combined if there are not enough entries in one class.) Navid also made it to the second round of the Hawk Super Challenge (http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/File/FinaleSuperChallenge.pdf) but lost out to Brian Garfield who ended up being the Challenge runner-up.

Congratulations Navid! :wave:

Matz
09-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Way to represent, Navid! :buds:

missred
09-12-2005, 12:04 AM
:wave:

wilson1
09-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Congrats to Navid!!!!!!!

earlyapex
09-12-2005, 12:31 AM
http://chocolatesonline.com/images/product/M3BrownNose_200.jpg

vtluu
09-12-2005, 01:04 AM
Go ahead and win a national competition, Bryan, and I'll be happy to announce it. 'Til then...

http://www.dodgybarnet.com/images/yoda-stfu.jpg

RT
09-12-2005, 06:11 AM
Congrats Navid, great news! 8)

SouthernCrane
09-12-2005, 07:05 AM
good job Navid 8)

Cameron@xperformance
09-12-2005, 07:35 AM
i talked to him last night, and he said the car felt great!

Cameron@xperformance
09-12-2005, 07:42 AM
hey tam, if your not busy today......do the PAX and see how my dad did :D

earlyapex
09-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Go ahead and win a national competition,

http://www.maybe.com/blog/hello/173/979/640/cheerleader.jpg

vtluu
09-12-2005, 09:15 AM
hey tam, if your not busy today......:dumas:

kimmievo
09-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Woo hoo! That's awesome, congrats Navid!

hellz Evo
09-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Congratulations Navid......

Navid@xperformance
09-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys! I actually was a 3rd qualifier for the challenge since I had the 3rd biggest gap (.65s) to the second place finisher in my class. Top 4 qualifiers were all from California with my good friends Vic Sias and Andy McKee in the 2nd and 4th spots.

More importantly, the win gave me the ProSolo championship for 2005. One down, one to go. On Thursday and Friday, Tam and I are competing for the SoloII National championship. The courses look wide open, so it's anybody's game. The Camaros will have the upper hand without having to shift gears as much.

--Navid

kimmievo
09-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Good luck! I know all of NCE will be rooting for you and Tam!

Cameron@xperformance
09-13-2005, 06:48 AM
+1!

RT
09-13-2005, 08:38 AM
...wow, good luck guys! 8)

vtluu
09-13-2005, 03:06 PM
For your viewing pleasure (with thanks to Alex Wan):

- North Course map (http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album283/2005_nats_north.jpg)
- South Course map (http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album283/2005_nats_south.jpg)

Got slalom? :?

chrisw
09-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks guys! I actually was a 3rd qualifier for the challenge since I had the 3rd biggest gap (.65s) to the second place finisher in my class. Top 4 qualifiers were all from California with my good friends Vic Sias and Andy McKee in the 2nd and 4th spots.

More importantly, the win gave me the ProSolo championship for 2005. One down, one to go. On Thursday and Friday, Tam and I are competing for the SoloII National championship. The courses look wide open, so it's anybody's game. The Camaros will have the upper hand without having to shift gears as much.

--Navid

the north course looks pretty fun, I think you and Tam will have the advantage on the south course..

Good luck!

Cameron@xperformance
09-14-2005, 04:17 PM

--Navid

the north course looks pretty fun, I think you and Tam will have the advantage on the south course..

Good luck!
over the STi or the pony cars?

vtluu
09-14-2005, 08:37 PM
We'll be on the North course tomorrow, run group 3 (out of 5). Forecast calls for morning showers. :? The North course is more wide-open so in theory a wet course will favour our car (vs. the pony cars) but it will make things more complicated generally so I'm hoping things will be dry by the time we run. I'm working grid during the first run group so I really wish I had an umbrella...

The South course which I haven't yet walked looks very tight and technical so I'd agree with Chris's assessment. We'll find out Friday...

The surface is terrible, it may be airport concrete but there are big chunks of concrete missing all over the place. They're doing their best to patch up the holes using quick-dry concrete but it looks like the stuff just breaks up over the course of a day. Outside of turns are littered with concrete rubble, a lot of bits the size of golf balls. :shock:

RT
09-17-2005, 06:29 AM
Well the Evos made it a clean sweep in ESP with Navid coming in third, congrats! 8)

Cameron@xperformance
09-17-2005, 08:32 AM
he was back by over a second after thurs. because of some rain problems and they counted a cone on his best run. he has the video to prove it to...
anyways, he came back friday and OWNED! beat everyone by a little over .4! but he was too far back from the day before....so he ended up 3rd.
maybe next year....now time for some more MODS :twisted:

chrisw
09-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Congratulations Navid!

Too bad we don't have bad weather around here. I think all that rain messed with you on day one.

I have not seen the times yet, but it looks like the STI's were a non-issue as I expected. (which is why I drive an EVO now :wink: )

vtluu
09-18-2005, 12:11 AM
(Minor re-edit of my EvoM posting.)

For Navid and I, the rain really did a number on us on Thursday. Due to the huge abundance of rain in CA, the car never got set up for the rain; we did our best by putting on Hoosier rain tires, setting the shocks to full-soft and disconnecting both swaybars. After a couple runs we also found that setting the ACD to "gravel" mode made the car more manageable while accelerating out of corners. Unfortunately, bad luck prevailed when a cone got called on Navid that video review showed he couldn't possibly have hit (according to the records, the cone was on the left side of the course finish line, while the video showed the car hugging the right side). Navid filed a protest to try to clear the cone penalty but ultimately the protest committee decided to make the "safer" decision and rule that although the cone in question probably hadn't been hit, chances are some cone had been hit and so the penalty was upheld. That would have been his fastest run but he ended up having to stand on a slower clean run and was unable to overcome a 1.8-second deficit (7th place) going into day 2, despite putting down the fastest ESP time on the second day. (Incidentally Navid's time on the South course was also faster than Mark Daddio's.) 3rd place was a big disappointment but at least Navid got to put in a class-leading performance in the dry--just not enough of a miracle to get him to 1st.

Vic Sias's Street Modified M3 had a major (and spectacular--car hopped up 2' in the air) subframe/suspension failure earlier that day while Elise Sias was running it in SM-L. Bob Tunnell generously offered a co-drive seat to Vic (big props to Bob for sportsmanship since Bob was in 2nd place in SM) and Vic did his first 2 runs in Bob's car, putting down a time fast enough to hold on to 1st place. However Bob's car overheated and so Bob drove his last run in Mark Daddio's Evo, while Vic jumped in Navid's car (which had been parked near the SM grid for Vic's co-driver Sean O'Boyle who ended up co-driving the Supra instead because he was too tall to fit in Navid's Evo). (We even did a "10-second SM conversion" on Navid's ESP car by pulling out the rear seat bench. ;)) Anyway, Bob just about spun Mark's car in the opening slalom, while Vic clobbered the first cone of the same slalom (despite Navid's warning about the steering being sensitive and to specifically be careful when first entering the slalom), so neither SM contenders put down their best runs in the hastily-borrowed Evos. Still it provided great drama to cap off a very dramatic week.

As for myself, having done maybe two events in the "wet" in my two years of autocrossing in CA, Thursday's swim turned out not too badly. Had I not coned my 2nd run I would have actually been in the trophies. Unfortunately I made a few dumb mistakes while driving the south course on Friday and wasn't able to better my position. Still, I achived my two goals: I didn't finish last, and I didn't get beaten by Woodruff (the guy in the pickup truck). :D

Congratulations to all winners and competitors! I was especially pleased that Evos finished 1-2-3 in ESP, what with all the smack-talking I heard from the Subaru STi guys in the weeks leading up to the event.

dohcvtec
09-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Found these pictures with Navid's car linked from a honda site. :P
http://tomek.tecza.waw.pl/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=SCCASoloNationals2005&page=15

vtluu
09-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Found these pictures with Navid's car linked from a honda site. :P
http://tomek.tecza.waw.pl/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=SCCASoloNationals2005&page=15
That was the car being driven by Vic. Aargh, rear-wheel lift... :(

toasty
09-19-2005, 04:53 PM
+1!
+1