PDA

View Full Version : BRAKE SQUEEKING

hphan
09-13-2005, 08:46 AM
I've only had my 05 Evo for 3K miles and have always noticed that the brakes squeek when I step on it lightly at very low speeds. Is this normal? How do I get rid of that loud squeek? Any suggestions?

ZK
09-13-2005, 08:57 AM
It is pretty normal.. The stock pads make a lot of brake dust. If you wash the brakes real good it should be a bit better but any kind of high performance pads will make dust/squeak.

Evo8andahalf
09-13-2005, 12:25 PM
same thing i wondered about but its normal and it doesnt tend to do it as much or squeal as loud

vtluu
09-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Sometimes a pebble can get lodged in the brake pad, causing a squeal. In such cases you can dislodge it by lightly applying the brakes while rolling the car backwards.

I don't remember the stock pads being that loud but (a) that was a long time ago and (b) maybe it's just because the pads I have now are so much louder. :P

Dr. Evo
09-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Did you break the car in? If not you could have glazed the pads. But a little noise is a characterisic of disk brakes in general, especially performance ones.

hphan
09-13-2005, 12:39 PM
a little squeek is understandable, but this sound is loud. After I spray break cleaner it goes away for a little while, but it comes back again. Should I bring it back to dealership?

vtluu
09-13-2005, 03:03 PM
I would take the brake pads off, inspect them and apply some brake quiet/anti-squeal and put them back on. Make sure the pads are wearing normally and have enough material left (seems like they should in a new car, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear of some unscrupulous dealers swapping used pads in and taking the new ones) and the shims are installed correctly.

MitsuMan
09-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Sometimes a pebble can get lodged in the brake pad, causing a squeal. In such cases you can dislodge it by lightly applying the brakes while rolling the car backwards.

I don't remember the stock pads being that loud but (a) that was a long time ago and (b) maybe it's just because the pads I have now are so much louder. :P

thats a small pebble!!!!!!!!!!!!

more than likely you've glazed the rotors DO dealerships warenty that stuff? check it out My car never made noise until I put on the titan ki's but thats what I expected to happen

vtluu
09-13-2005, 09:08 PM
thats a small pebble!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, they come in all sizes. Small enough and you call it "sand".

hphan
09-14-2005, 09:12 AM
so my question is how do you glaze a rotor unknowingly? And if so how would you UNglaze it? I heard I should run the brakes hot and then spray it with WD-40 to get rid of the dust that might be the cause of the noise. Has anyone tried this method or is this just asking for more trouble?

RT
09-14-2005, 09:37 AM
It’s impossible to gauge the level of noise you hear but if it’s that loud you need to check the pads ASAP. There is a small metal tab that will rub on the rotor face when the pads have reached the end of their usefulness; check to be sure one of these isn’t already down on the rotor.

Pads will many times wear unevenly, you could have a pad that has lost all or a portion of its lining and the backing plate is making contact with the rotor. This is the worst condition because you’ll wipe out the rotor in no time.

But do pull the wheels and tires off and check the pads, inside and outside pads, and be sure you have plenty of lining material first.

8)

oct7th1987
09-18-2005, 10:02 PM
haha.. im glad to hear that its normal. cuz i just bought my evo.. im only 17yrs old. and then i let my uncle drive it.. he wanted to see how fast it could stop. that thing stops on a dime. and then when i was driving it.. i heard the squel.. and i got scraed.. i thought he ruined my brakes.. lol. its normal right? =)