PDA

View Full Version : BMWCCA autox Saturday September 24 Marina, Airport 8:30am

bdking57
09-19-2005, 10:59 AM
We have had three evos there the last 2 events.. I would like to see a couple more out there. This is a great event to get experience at.. typically we get 9 runs (3 fun runs) on a 1 minute avg course thats very fast with alot of open areas. The price is now $55 dollars on site and typically, you dont need a membership if this is your first time.

set the rear sway bars to full

SJCoruja
09-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Hmmmmm...... :)

earlyapex
09-19-2005, 11:25 AM
$55?

jayzus, rather go karting.

chrisw
09-19-2005, 11:32 AM
hmm.. I will have to see if I have enough tires for Marina on saturday, and GGF on sunday.

evo_dadi
09-19-2005, 12:04 PM
cant go this saturday since i got things planned already.

hey chris what time you running on sunday?i havent checked what time SM is running that weekend.

chrisw
09-19-2005, 12:53 PM
cant go this saturday since i got things planned already.

hey chris what time you running on sunday?i havent checked what time SM is running that weekend.

On Sunday, SM runs 3rd and works 1st. ESP (run in 6th, work 8th) runs in the afternoon. sounds like a good reason to lose my rear seat on sunday... 8)

vtluu
09-19-2005, 02:42 PM
I'll be at a friend's wedding on Sunday but will try to make Round 2 at Marina, 10/2.

methods4
09-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Since when do autox's cost $55???!! They hire course workers or something?

Back in the day it used to be like $30 for non SCCA members.

methods4
09-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Edit: I love lamp.

bdking57
09-19-2005, 02:47 PM
marcel.. you havent been there in awhile.. whats the deal?

Tam, why dont you come at least so you can teach me something.. my car is getting fast, but im still making rookie mistakes.. if anyone else wants to come down to ride with me at least that would be cool, ill buy lunch.

We were all within like a second of each other though, and storm trooper made great improvements.

The 55 dollars isnt that bad when you consider the track is long + 9 runs is alot!.. thats like two autox in one = double the experience. I cant really explain the 10 dollar price hike.. seems kinda steep, but hey its the BMW club :? There are alot of non members competing.

oh and just to clarify.. thats SCCA round 2 on 10/2? I would be running SM..can I just show up there early, pay and play at marina? I dont have an SCCA membership, but im setup for marina :D

vtluu
09-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Tam, why dont you come at least so you can teach me something.. my car is getting fast, but im still making rookie mistakes.. if anyone else wants to come down to ride with me at least that would be cool, ill buy lunch.
I don't think non-BMWCCA members are allowed anymore at BMWCCA auto-x events. When are you running? I might show up and hang around if I don't have to get up too early. :)

bdking57
09-19-2005, 03:22 PM
we normally run 1st run group which is like 930... but i could see if marshall wants to run later. At the last event there was like 30+ non members so they are pretty flexible unless they just get totally overloaded with cars. I would just make sure to show up early.

vtluu
09-19-2005, 03:55 PM
The rules have changed: no how, no way are non-BMWCCA members allowed anymore. Be warned.

evo_dadi
09-19-2005, 06:44 PM
damn sm's in the first half of the day that means i gotta leave home early :(

hey brian i already promised my wife that i was gonna help her with the memory walk that saturday so i cant turn that down :lol: but im going to the round 1 of the slush series at sf the following day.

bdking57
09-19-2005, 08:22 PM
hmm.. i wont be able to run that one on my current tire budget while im paying the fiances bling off.. Id like to due round 2 at marina though, then maybe wait untill the spring. Im thinking of saving up and throwing on the varis wide body fenders and some 17x9s w 275 RA1s for next year :P

evo_dadi
09-19-2005, 08:55 PM
man your going overboard with those tires.lots of things changes when you drive with wider tires specially braking.why dont you stay with 255's for now till you really need more grip :wink:

Cameron@xperformance
09-19-2005, 09:19 PM
haha, you sure do talk a lot about karting.....GET ONE!

evo_dadi
09-19-2005, 09:23 PM

he probly already bought one but still to shy to let everyone know :oops: :lol:

vtluu
09-19-2005, 09:44 PM
hmm.. i wont be able to run that one on my current tire budget while im paying the fiances bling off.. Id like to due round 2 at marina though, then maybe wait untill the spring. Im thinking of saving up and throwing on the varis wide body fenders and some 17x9s w 275 RA1s for next year :P
You don't need wide-body fenders, just roll the rear fenders and the 275s will fit just fine.

Cameron@xperformance
09-19-2005, 09:46 PM

he probly already bought one but still to shy to let everyone know :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RSpilot
09-19-2005, 10:29 PM
is there such a thing as too much tire in autocross :wink:

earlyapex
09-19-2005, 10:52 PM
Im thinking of saving up and throwing on the varis wide body fenders and some 17x9s w 275 RA1s for next year :P

You don't need the wide body fenders to run 17x9's with 275 RA1's.

earlyapex
09-19-2005, 10:53 PM

I go to go kart racer all the time. :)

Yea I know, I would love to actually try shifter karts out at some point. 8)

bdking57
09-20-2005, 06:37 AM
yep dont need them.. but I cant resist the look of them also.. makes me feel more confident next to all the m3s 8) plus my front end is cracked and were rebuilding marshalls wrecked car he just bought so im trying to setup good prices on both the pieces. The replica fenders from street concept are only $350 anyway.. not bad, plus im told the frpr?? accolade evo IX front end should hold up find for autox( my stocker is cracked).. ill wait for opinions on that though.. how does that material hold up to cones.

You don't need wide-body fenders, just roll the rear fenders and the 275s will fit just fine.

Navid@xperformance
09-21-2005, 11:25 AM
My current plan is to make the BMW event on Sat. Membership is not a problem since I'm already a member. :D

--Navid

vtluu
09-21-2005, 12:03 PM
http://www.justracing.com/ggc_bmw_cca/viewtopic.php?p=764#764

Just confirming that non-members will not be allowed to drive.

chrisw
09-21-2005, 04:10 PM
http://www.justracing.com/ggc_bmw_cca/viewtopic.php?p=764#764

Just confirming that non-members will not be allowed to drive.

yep... that's probably why it's $55 to run...

EVO GRIM
09-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Cant make this one. Need to go to works to pick up some stuff. Good thing too I dont want to get smacked around by Navid. Cars almost back to stock anyway.

bdking57
09-22-2005, 07:27 AM
uh oh navids coming to lay the smack down. your bringing the evo right?

navid.. you wanna sit in with me in the morning, ill hook you up with the best burrito in norcal for lunch :D

oh and the work order is like this if i remember
1st works 3rd
2nd works 1st
3rd works 2nd

bdking57
09-22-2005, 07:30 AM
:shock: your not going.. come on! ill drive up to works with you afterwards or sunday.

Cant make this one. Need to go to works to pick up some stuff. Good thing too I dont want to get smacked around by Navid. Cars almost back to stock anyway.

Cameron@xperformance
09-22-2005, 07:31 AM
uh oh navids coming to lay the smack down.

navid.. you wanna sit in wiht me in the morning, ill hook you up with the best burrito in norcal for lunch :D
hahaha can i have the burrito instead? :lol: i dont think he would mind :D

EVO GRIM
09-22-2005, 07:45 AM
Works isnt open on sunday.

bdking57
09-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Works isnt open on sunday.
monday? well you should come sit in my car, then you can leave after the first session.

Unowned
09-22-2005, 09:46 AM
The 55 dollars isnt that bad when you consider the track is long + 9 runs is alot!.. thats like two autox in one = double the experience. I cant really explain the 10 dollar price hike.. seems kinda steep, but hey its the BMW club :? There are alot of non members competing.

An autoX lap is somewhere between 30sec -1 min. 9 runs = at most 9 min of track time... 55/9 = $6 per minute!

Track days are 130-150 normal tracks. You get 2.5 hours of track time which is 150 minutes. 150/150 = $1 per minute!

Of course i havn't factored in Gas or Tires or Brakes too many variables... I'll pass on the Auto X :)

bdking57
09-22-2005, 10:24 AM
The bmw events are an avg of 60 seconds... its all relative because look at the time you get at the drag strip. I like autox cause you get to run your car, not put your self or your machine in harms way, and your able to make adjustments as you go to make the car faster... also the 60 seconds or so are pretty intense. While the driving decisions you make on a road course are ultimately more important, autox the evo is pretty close to karting.

Unowned
09-22-2005, 10:49 AM
The bmw events are an avg of 60 seconds... its all relative because look at the time you get at the drag strip. I like autox cause you get to run your car, not put your self or your machine in harms way, and your able to make adjustments as you go to make the car faster... also the 60 seconds or so are pretty intense. While the driving decisions you make on a road course are ultimately more important, autox the evo is pretty close to karting.

Karting can go on for 20-30 minutes a session... autoX is by Lap and normally one do 2 laps then you gotta wait in line again :( I'm just trying to show you the Light Bry hehe

bdking57
09-22-2005, 11:54 AM
you dont have to show me :D .. if I could afford a dedicated track car +tires +brake pads and rotors I would be all over road racing..Ill have a second car next year so maybe ill try some track days out then, but I dont want to be tracking my daily driver that already cost me a fortune to finally get running good.

.. im slightly more intrested in getting into rally cross then track days though at this point. hmm. im not sure what kind of expenses im going ot incur to set the car for that though.

chrisw
09-22-2005, 12:00 PM

Karting can go on for 20-30 minutes a session... autoX is by Lap and normally one do 2 laps then you gotta wait in line again :( I'm just trying to show you the Light Bry hehe

part of the challenge of autox is trying to get that perfect run. I also like the competition when it's close.

In many respects autox is far cheaper per minute than you think.

Factor in wear and tear on the track days

pads, potentially rotors is $$$
~$5/gallon race gas @ ~4mpg is hella expensive

And how many sets of tires do you need per year?

When I start doing track days is when I prep a car for SCCA T2. That way your really racing, not just pretending to be a race car driver.

Navid@xperformance
09-22-2005, 12:34 PM
uh oh navids coming to lay the smack down. your bringing the evo right?

navid.. you wanna sit in with me in the morning, ill hook you up with the best burrito in norcal for lunch :D

You could have had me without the burrito, but I'll take it.
:D
--Navid

earlyapex
09-22-2005, 12:39 PM
When I start doing track days is when I prep a car for SCCA T2. That way your really racing, not just pretending to be a race car driver.

Because autocross is really racing?

The best thing about indoor karting is you aren't putting any wear on anything you own but your own body. It's wheel to wheel, and it's timed. Even have "racing" leagues.

chrisw
09-22-2005, 01:34 PM

Because autocross is really racing?

The best thing about indoor karting is you aren't putting any wear on anything you own but your own body. It's wheel to wheel, and it's timed. Even have "racing" leagues.

yeah, the same can be said about karting. But when you start looking at shifter cars, the costs are almost the same as prepping a autocross/track day car. At this point in my life I would rather spend that little bit more and go road racing.

why? because I can (almost) meanwhile I will enjoy the competition in autocross.

Navid@xperformance
09-22-2005, 03:46 PM
BMW CCA autox entry fee = $55

Gas to drive to Marina and back = $30

100 octane race gas for 5min of driving = $20

Being able to drive your Evo at the limit and beyond without fearing you are going to ball it up = priceless

Gaining the skills to save your ass while you are approaching the K-wall on track = priceless

:lol:

--Navid

bdking57
09-22-2005, 03:48 PM
karting is great.. I had a discussion with my neighbor who is a professional race car (motogp, NASCAR, baja, drag boats).. he said karting was definately the place to start. The high speed transitions in autox seem to prepare you more for being a stunt driver then a road racer.. but any kind of experience you can get makes you a better driver. :D

also, like navid just said.. my car was perfectly under control when it was underpowered.. now that its making 100whp more, im having to learn how to drive it again.. iv almost lost control a couple times while i was adjusting, which could have turned out much worse on a road course then hitting a couple cones at autox.

plus for me its $40 annual membership fee, $50 online registration (they give you lunch too) $1.00 for gas, $10 100octane.. thats cheap thrills, cheaper then driving to Great America and twice the fun :shock:

Stormtrooper
09-22-2005, 03:57 PM
almost wasn't gonna make it this time cause of something that happened..... but looks like i'll be there...

should be a good day.... :D

Unowned
09-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Bry, you can spare one day from your busy AutoX schedule right?

Stormtrooper
09-22-2005, 04:47 PM
so just to recap (prob missed people):

1. BDking57
2. Navid
3. Stormtrooper

Won't feel like a bmw event with you Marshall =P

Hey Tam,
Can you ask your roommate Jason if he still needs someone to haul his race tires for him....

-Jeff

Stormtrooper
09-22-2005, 04:53 PM
oh yeah..... btw....

Navid,
i'll split the cost of that burrito plus a beer if I can get you to ride with me too =D

-Jeff

Navid@xperformance
09-22-2005, 05:19 PM
oh yeah..... btw....

Navid,
i'll split the cost of that burrito plus a beer if I can get you to ride with me too =D

-Jeff

Not a problem!

--Navid

bdking57
09-23-2005, 09:44 AM
are you going to be tagging along? If you like carnitas.. you will love this place. They offer a standard size, then the super size (only $6 and would feed a family of 4) .. the super size is well over a foot! just imagine 3 large combined. despite my best attempts to work up an appetite large enough to finish one I have never made it more then 3/4s of the way through, because of the enormous size, the best way to eat this beast is to assume the fetal position and use your knee as a prop while supporting the middle portion with your hands :P

uh oh navids coming to lay the smack down.

navid.. you wanna sit in wiht me in the morning, ill hook you up with the best burrito in norcal for lunch :D
hahaha can i have the burrito instead? :lol: i dont think he would mind :D

Navid@xperformance
09-23-2005, 01:21 PM
are you going to be tagging along? If you like carnitas.. you will love this place. They offer a standard size, then the super size (only $6 and would feed a family of 4) .. the super size is well over a foot! just imagine 3 large combined. despite my best attempts to work up an appetite large enough to finish one I have never made it more then 3/4s of the way through, because of the enormous size, the best way to eat this beast is to assume the fetal position and use your knee as a prop while supporting the middle portion with your hands :P

Standard size beef would do! :lol:

--Navid

Stormtrooper
09-23-2005, 01:36 PM

Awesome.... I see some funny bets coming some time soon =D

Cameron@xperformance
09-23-2005, 04:52 PM
yup, ill be there

EVO GRIM
09-23-2005, 06:45 PM
I'll stop by in the after noon and meet da guys.

Cameron@xperformance
09-24-2005, 06:43 PM
it was nice meeting you guys today. that burrito places rocked!

EVO GRIM
09-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the ride Navid! That car realy sticks. Good to meet you Cameron.

Stormtrooper
09-25-2005, 03:44 PM
that was a great day!

Navid thanks a lot for the tips.... I just need some more seat time for practice now =D I cannot believe how quick your evo was...

nice to meet you too cameron!

Anyone have pics they can post?

-Jeff

bdking57
09-25-2005, 04:37 PM
I will this week.. also videos of me attempting to find my way on the course. I cant believe how difficult/disorienting it was.. I wasnt even realizing i was missing turns untill i memorized where all the hard to find ones were.. and the finish was a just funny :lol:

Cameron@xperformance
09-25-2005, 05:35 PM
jeff, i think i saw you this morning on 85. it looked like you still had the shoe polish on :lol:

Stormtrooper
09-25-2005, 06:39 PM
hehe yeah....... i hate shoe polish so much..... even after i rub it off, i get specs all over the side of my car!!!!!!

I usually wait and wash at the same time so that the specs dont' stick to the paint.

Where can I get some magnetic numbers?

Cameron@xperformance
09-25-2005, 06:58 PM
solotime makes some really good stuff. they have lots of different kinds to. http://solotime.com/default.asp?page=1689

Navid@xperformance
09-25-2005, 08:35 PM
You are both very welcome. Stormtrooper, did you finally break 60 on your fun runs? Seat time, seat time, seat time!!! :wink:

--Navid

Stormtrooper
09-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Navid,

Yeah I finally did it with a 59.6? and then a 59.7 for my last two fun runs....

What really did it was thinking about better turn setup so I could have more exit speed like what you told me....

just as you predicted it got me in the 50s =D

Looking forward to next time!

-Jeff

mitch
09-26-2005, 11:49 AM
It was nice meeting all of you there on my first autox. I got some pics and will try to upload them tonight. Jeff...don't let me forget that I owe you a lunch =)

bdking57
09-26-2005, 03:04 PM
hope you had fun.. great to see evos out there, although I think the BMW guys were getting pissed that there were so many evos and STis there.. then when Navid just owned everybody.. they were all just hanging their heads around :D All the BMW drivers were asking me about the evo ( cost, power) after they saw navid run.

Navid@xperformance
09-26-2005, 05:04 PM
hope you had fun.. great to see evos out there, although I think the BMW guys were getting pissed that there were so many evos and STis there.. then when Navid just owned everybody.. they were all just hanging their heads around :D All the BMW drivers were asking me about the evo ( cost, power) after they saw navid run.

Most of those guys know me since I am a longterm BMW owner. If you look closer on the top driver shootout trophy, you might even find my name on there somewhere. :D

The BMW guys are car enthusiasts like us and appreciate a good piece of machinery. I lost count of how many BMW owners have bought Evos already.

--Navid

mitch
09-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Here are some of the pics I took:

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/modules.php?set_albumName=album326&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Mitch

Stormtrooper
09-26-2005, 10:07 PM
thanks for the pics Mitch =D

Cameron@xperformance
09-27-2005, 07:09 AM
thanks for the pics Mitch =D
+1