PDA

View Full Version : hardwiring an ipod

brwnrice
03-01-2004, 10:45 PM
anybody know if you can "hardwire" an ipod to the stock radio?

SouthernCrane
03-01-2004, 10:54 PM
I was wondering the same thing.

GReddy_917
03-01-2004, 10:59 PM
Not sure if thats possible...but you can be like me and use a fm transmitter ($25 at fry's comes with cig lighter plug) to play your mp3's in the car....of course I use my PocketPC not an IPod...but either works with the transmitter.

brwnrice
03-01-2004, 11:26 PM
how is the sound quality of that fm modulator?

JanSolo
03-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Sucks! I tried it for a long time.

Here is the best solution I have found to date (http://www.rcainput.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RCAI&Product_Code=MITSU%2FAUX-V.1&Category_Code=mitsu). Probably the wrong year, but it is a good example of what this place offers and you will have options if you have an aftermarket head unit.

vtluu
03-02-2004, 12:07 AM
Hmm, wouldn't the stock stereo unit have some kind of input for the CD changer? (Does someone here have the CD changer, and if so have you looked how it's connected to the stereo?) It might be possible to hook up an iPod to those inputs. I'll check mine tonight... I took it out when I replaced it with a cheap Panasonic unit that plays MP3s/WMAs from CD-R discs--and has 2 sets of auxiliary inputs I could use to hook up my iPod if I wanted. :)

lambtron
03-02-2004, 12:41 AM
anybody know if you can "hardwire" an ipod to the stock radio?

something like the solution jan found is your best bet, fm transmitters are good sometimes but occassionaly they can cut out or not even pick up the signal, another cool idea would be to actually hardwire the powersource for the ipod as well, so you don't waste batteries. Im not familiar with the features, but if you can get a cig adapter for it so you don't run off the batteries, you could hook that up to a switched source, most common is 12v ignition, so it would power on with your car.

torrentprime
03-07-2004, 10:09 PM
I know the first post asked about putting an iPod into a stock radio, but I just mounted my iPod and have it connected to my after-market radio. Thought I would share...
The FM transmitter is not a great solution, IMHO, especially here in the Bay Area. It works better for long trips, where you are in between cities with fewer stations. In the cities, however, there are so many stations that it's hard to find a clean station to tune it to. After a month or so of the FM static, I had had enough. Digital quality music in the iPod being listened to with static and buzz through FM xmitter made my teeth itch.
I got a Clarion stereo last weekend; I picked it up solely for the audio-in capabilities. I picked up a $20 holster at the Apple store that came with a car mount. It came with a sticky to mount it with, but I refuse to glue anything to my dashboard. I sank a screw into the dashboard instead to give it some stability.
The holster is cool--it has room for the connection in the top as well as the power adaptor in the bottom. I like it!

http://homepage.mac.com/torrentprime/Rides/Pic4.jpg

SouthernCrane
03-07-2004, 10:19 PM
That's a nice setup, I think I'll try and do it that way after I get a new HU.

brwnrice
03-07-2004, 10:34 PM
daniel, do you know if the stock radio have an audio-in outlets?

vtluu
03-07-2004, 10:45 PM
daniel, do you know if the stock radio have an audio-in outlets?
It does not, except for the CD changer (DIN cable) connector. I don't know how you could wire the latter to "trick" the stock stereo into letting you use it as an auxiliary audio-in, but I suppose it's possible. FWIW I checked the service manual and it does not document the layout/function of the CD changer connector. :(

torrentprime
03-08-2004, 08:49 AM
When i went and asked at s stereo store about hooking up the iPod, I was told I could get a cheap after-market stereo for 75-90 bucks, depending on the model and any sales, which would have audio-in. Installation free.
So I would be getting a nicer stereo than stock and be able to wire in the iPod for under $100. Works for me (of course, I ended up getting a nicer-than-$100 stereo... :) ).
I figured all the above was a better deal than trying to see if I could wire in the iPod to the stock, cause I would still have to take it apart, buy a connector somehow to use, as Tam mentions, the CD changer, and hope it all works.
Also, I got an alarm and the stereo at the same time, so I got a deal on everything together (plus free install).
Gosh, it's so easy to spend that tax refund isn't it?

vtluu
03-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Agreed. I paid about $150 for my Panasonic deck (which plays MP3/WMA off CD-R discs, and is about a pound or so lighter than the stock deck :D) which has aux in. Installed it myself.