PDA

View Full Version : someone told me the set screw on the MAF....

evoredy
09-21-2005, 11:36 PM
richens the mixture up when flushed out.

but, in plain view, the port the set screw controls is out of the path of the metering element. it looks like a "tunnel."

correct me if i'm wrong...but this will introduce MORE unmetered air into the system, right :?:

BMan
09-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Besides the fact that will void your warranty, it won't help.

zyounker
09-23-2005, 10:50 PM

Nothing you do besides racing your car or taking it out of the US can void its warrenty.. Please do not spread mis-information..

Now, the above could cause a dealer to not honor a warrenty request. Which you would have to take to court to prove otherwise. but this can also happen with about anything IMO.

Now, wether it is worth doing or not on the evo, i have no clue

earlyapex
09-24-2005, 12:04 AM
correct me if i'm wrong...but this will introduce MORE unmetered air into the system, right :?:

Which would make the mixture lean.

Don't mess with it if you don't have a way of checking EGTs, or AFRs, or Timing.

BMan
09-24-2005, 05:55 PM

Nothing you do besides racing your car or taking it out of the US can void its warrenty.. Please do not spread mis-information..

Now, the above could cause a dealer to not honor a warrenty request. Which you would have to take to court to prove otherwise. but this can also happen with about anything IMO.

Now, wether it is worth doing or not on the evo, i have no clue

Sorry, that's what I was told by the service manager at the Mitsu dealer that I bought mine at. He said that "short of screwing with the MAF, or replacing internal engine parts, we won't void your engine warranty".
I was asking about the ramifications of changing exhaust and adding hard pipes. I guess I was talking to the wrong end of the horse.

MitsuMan
09-24-2005, 07:33 PM
fucking with the MAF is like walking on thin ice man. I didn't know it was adjustable are you shure.......I only thought the old vein style (like nissan Z) were adjustable and even if it is Im shure it ony adjusts for Idle mixture if that

evoredy
09-24-2005, 09:28 PM
these are definatley adjustable. but not in that way---I believe they are callibrated per vehicle.

but yeah whatever.

the old z style had a pot that was adjustable and were hot-wire.

this is a nice channel of adjustability......

warranty? wha?

works p2
works aperture2
hahn 3 inch cat
buscher 3 inch tb
k&n cone
no air box
larger vacume lines on the actuator solenoid

MarkSAE
09-24-2005, 10:03 PM
You just pull the silicon off and you can access the adjustment screw. Our MAFs are calibrated from the factory and that adjustment is meant to be locked for a reason. If you want to adjust your AFRs, get an AFC or an ecu flash.

Dr. Evo
09-24-2005, 10:26 PM
^^DITTO^^ Messing with this will lead down a BAD path.

evoredy
09-26-2005, 02:29 AM
i mess with mith my afm all the time, with my afc. lol. :lol:

i just *THOUGHT* that maybe we can get some extra locked-in tuning while we screw around with our airflow paths and base maps and boost levels and fuel mixtures (software wise of course) and such.

buncha closed minded people we got here don't we? its only a 30K car it ain't no 390hp f355 or anything--THEN I WOUNT TOUCH THE AFM (if its got one).

fine, I'll just go play around myself and log the hz ratings compared to what the o2 actually sees.:roll:

btw, i think that unit is callibrated per your stock air-box anyways. less flow=less rich, more flow=more rich and thus needs (small) adjustment.

i hate afm's anyways. i can't wait to get rid of it.

Dr. Evo
09-26-2005, 07:35 AM
The way that people complain on this board about warranty, I just wouldn't advise messing with the MAF. If you think that you can tamper with anything factory and expect it to be warrantied when you screw it up you are very mistaken. There is no way of telling how far a slight turn will change the mixture. By the time oyu go to log it you may already be doing damage. Hey, if you want to experiment with it on your car, go ahead. If it works ,and you make safe HP, then good. If it doesn't and you lean out our motor, then, well...

evoredy
09-26-2005, 02:22 PM
The way that people complain on this board about warranty, I just wouldn't advise messing with the MAF. Â*If you think that you can tamper with anything factory and expect it to be warrantied when you screw it up you are very mistaken. Â*There is no way of telling how far a slight turn will change the mixture. Â*By the time oyu go to log it you may already be doing damage. Â*Hey, if you want to experiment with it on your car, go ahead. Â*If it works ,and you make safe HP, then good. Â*If it doesn't and you lean out our motor, then, well...

yeah you are right, but it's not their problem.

damage? like what? melted exhaust valves? heat-induced notch in the head gasket only to exacerbate into a major leak when your racing you're buddy a week later?

That channel is too small to cause major issues with my mild setup, don't get too past yourself now--i'll measure the volume of the chamber for you if you want :) . It's not like I'm taking the s-afc and hitting -30 accross the board on WOT with stock injectors and stock fuel pump--you will TOAST your exhaust vlaves/gasket/head.

when people don't know too much, they get scared and pretty much just flat out don't like to talk about things no matter how SIMPLE OF A QUESTION WAS originally asked. but its all good, its all in good fun as long as you're not bashing on evo's.

it's ok, I'll experiement myself, everybody: DON'T TOUCH THE MAF PLEASE.

anyways, I am running a K&N cone, because I like them, and noticed the AFM didn't like it too much.

trust me-- I've got experience/much more so than what I've seen at ALL of my local mitsu dealerships--i refer to them as SATAN sometimes. and that by the time you log it you caused damage is not cool to say. it might show that you don't know what's up OTHER THAN screwing with the MAF without knowledge is bad.

There is no way of telling how far a slight turn will change the mixture? wow mitsu just rolled the dice every time they threw one of they're mafs under the hood didn't they. lol. all i am doing is addressing one of our mechanical flaws, the multi-vehicle, limited, cheap, and intake/pre-turbo mounted AFM's.

so all in all, I'll personally use my vehicle on a dyno run or ten (i gotta find a local 4wd) and run my hacked afm's and I bet there will be some gain and no blown motor.

EDITED for some stupidity. lol:

jury's still out. i have a de-screened MAF with a GT35r and all the finxings along with a WB02 now, no A/F issues. chart looks good too. can't wait till speed density though.