PDA

View Full Version : Warm up, cool down?

TheJANG
03-02-2004, 10:47 PM
I go through a religious warm-up and cool-down process with any turbo-powered car. I don't move the car when it's cold (in the morning before work I always hold it at 2k rpms or under until the temp needle starts coming up). After driving for 1/2 hr or more, I also like to put the front windows down, blast the heater through the side vents, and leave the car running like this for a good 2 minutes before I power down. Do other folks do this with their Evos, or is there a better routine?

brwnrice
03-02-2004, 10:55 PM
in the morning i just warm up my car for a minute or so only. i take it easy till the temp guage goes to normal temp and all drive line liquids are warmed up. since i dont have time to sit and wait for the car to cool down, what i do is for the last quarter mile i just cruise and before you know it my car is already cooled down.

nebolic
03-02-2004, 11:14 PM
i left my car warm up before i drive 90% of the time unless i am in a hurry. I wait for the temp needle to start moving before i drive. Reason for me is that i find the car to be real notchy if its cold,thats why i warm it up. and for cool down, i usually chill in the last parts of my drive and i usually sit in the car for 30 secs before i turn it off (manual turbo timer hahah).

JanSolo
03-02-2004, 11:18 PM
I basically start my car and instantly rev it to fuel cut. I do this 9 - 10 times or until I am done venting the fact that I have to drive to work and that my car cannot drive me on it's own.

Then I make sure to drive it at 90mph in 3rd gear till I get to work (15 miles away from my apartment). Then I pull over right away, park and spit on my Evo to let it know who owns who..

brwnrice
03-02-2004, 11:20 PM
I basically start my car and instantly rev it to fuel cut. I do this 9 - 10 times or until I am done venting the fact that I have to drive to work and that my car cannot drive me on it's own.

Then I make sure to drive it at 90mph in 3rd gear till I get to work (15 miles away from my apartment). Then I pull over right away, park and spit on my Evo to let it know who owns who..
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

drmosh
03-02-2004, 11:22 PM

EVO ABUSER!! I WILL CALL THE LOCAL EVO POLICE!

BluEvo
03-02-2004, 11:46 PM
i go by the same lifestyle with my Evo. let it warm up for a minute or so and let it cool down about 30 secs give or take a few secs, before shutting down. but again it all comes down to how hard or long you've been driving when cooling before shut-down. i'll prolly pay closer attention to the cool down in the summer days or just get my ass to finally buy a turbo timer. :wink:

vtluu
03-03-2004, 12:13 AM
I just get in and go. :?

ez76
03-03-2004, 01:29 AM
I wait for water temperature to get to steady state before boosting or revving over 3K.

At that point I might get on the boost but I don't wait for the oil temperature to get to 60C or anything like that.

For cooldown, if I've taken it easy during the last couple minutes of driving, I'll turn it off immediately after parking. If there's any question I give it at least 30 seconds of idle. If I've gotten on it "for real" (oil temperatures above 85C in our current cool weather) I'll give it 1-2 minutes of cooldown before turning off.

evo_dadi
03-03-2004, 08:11 AM

slave driver as usual :axe: :axe: well since my car is in the garage at night i warm it up for a minute or so then just dive off.then like what nebo does to cool it down is the 30 sec manual tt :P

SouthernCrane
03-03-2004, 08:24 AM
I let the temp needle start to move first, then start to drive it. No boost for a few minutes, until everything has had a good time to warm up. For cool down it all depends on how much boost I was on before shutdown.

chris
03-03-2004, 08:37 AM
for warm up i wait until the temp raises above the c. then i drive it where hitting no boost until it raises to normal temp. as for cool down i have a turbo timer =D 30sec if not driven hard and 1min for hard driving.

warpspeed
03-03-2004, 11:00 AM
I usually warm mine up about a minute or two. As for cool down, I had my timer set to about a minute and a half but now I set it to about 40 seconds. Man....gas cost to much!

559EVO
03-03-2004, 06:41 PM
I always warm up for at least 3 min,cool down time is usually 30 sec unless I've been boosting then I adjust my turbo timer.

RonV
03-03-2004, 07:04 PM
I start it and drive it easily untill it gets up to operation temp before I push it. If I have been driving it normally I just shut it off normally. If I have been pushing it hard, I let it idle untill my turbo stops glowing.

In my opinion, free reving the Evo or any car while it is cold (to warm it up) at 2000 RPM is litterally wiping life off of your main bearings. Very bad idea. Running the heater to cool off your car after driving is a little over kill, but I think it kicks ass that you are that into your EVO. :D