PDA

View Full Version : SCCA round 3, candlestick park.

chrisw
03-03-2004, 09:06 AM
Here we go! Round 3 is coming this sunday at candlestick park.

It should not be too crowded this weekend with the pro-solo in San Diego.

hope to see you there!

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results/2004/Championship/round3_info.html

vtluu
03-03-2004, 11:17 AM
With the notoriously uneven and bumpy surface, it's an ideal venue for rally-bred cars like the Evo... I know a few people (in other cars) who won't be going simply because their car will bottom out on course. :lol:

Dogtown
03-03-2004, 02:57 PM
I faxed in my application hopefully I'll be making it this sunday.

halz
03-03-2004, 07:07 PM
Wow.. so, Mazda Revitup on Saturday, and an autocross on Sunday! That still leaves room for Speedring and GoKartRacer in the evenings..!

chrisw
03-03-2004, 07:50 PM
Wow.. so, Mazda Revitup on Saturday, and an autocross on Sunday! That still leaves room for Speedring and GoKartRacer in the evenings..!

wrong sucka! It's also the opening Formula 1 race @ accolade 8)

brwnrice
03-03-2004, 08:47 PM
damn, all this exciting activities all in one weekend.....what to do.. :roll:

hey tam, are you going to the candlestick park shindig? i want to ride shotgun and be your navigator. :wink:

vtluu
03-03-2004, 10:36 PM
hey tam, are you going to the candlestick park shindig? i want to ride shotgun and be your navigator. :wink:
Yep, I'll likely be there. And you're welcome to ride along; maybe an extra pair of eyes can help me avert another off-course excursion. :lol:

brwnrice
03-03-2004, 11:47 PM
ssscchhhweeeetttt!!! i think my fingers give more visual perception than those pointer cones. what do you think tam?

hmm...do i need a helmet? will they let me ride with a bicycle helmet? :mrgreen:

Dogtown
03-04-2004, 12:02 AM
I hope to make it sunday I'll have 2 helmets if I can. Hey Tam they say to empty the Car of everything including spare and jack. Do we do the latter 2 there or before we even leave?

vtluu
03-04-2004, 12:19 AM
It would suck to get a flat on the way there or the way back and not have a spare tire. :) I empty the car after I get there--just pile up everything behind where I park the car. I keep a tarp to cover things in case of rain.

They usually don't care about the spare tire or jack if they're properly secured. The most important thing is loose items in the passenger compartment, and driver's floormat (because it could get jammed up under one of your pedals). When they do a tech inspection of the car usually they don't even bother looking in the trunk.

I take everything out 'cuz it lightens the car. :lol:

evo_dadi
03-04-2004, 08:31 AM
hey isnt that cheating ;) you just modified your car by making your car lighter so youre not stock anymore :)

but anyways i gotta make it to those events one of these days and ride shotgun with you or chrisw.

chrisw
03-04-2004, 09:06 AM
I'm in the first run group. If your there by 9 AM your welcome to ride along for a run...

vtluu
03-04-2004, 10:09 AM
I'm in the 7th run group so won't be running 'til at least 3pm (probably 4-5 pm) or so, but I'll be there around 11am or so...

Dogtown
03-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Do I need to sign up ahead of time? I thought I just needed to get the membership and then sign up when you get there.

vtluu
03-04-2004, 06:04 PM
You register when you get there, but registration typically closes at noon or so.

vtluu
03-07-2004, 10:23 PM
Had a blast out there today! Weather was perfect, field was not too crowded (about 250 entrants), event ran smoothly, and everyone I talked to agreed the course layout was really, really fun!

Chrisw put in a fine time of 60 seconds (and change) which netted him 3rd place in ESP class. Joe Masters put in a very nice 58-second time in his silver Evo (with R-compound tires) which I believe was the best time for A Stock. I managed a not-too-shabby (or at least not-too-laughable) 64.315 which was enough to soundly beat my friend Nick in the STi.

What was also really fun was that people who stuck around for fun runs got 4-5 runs, and Nick and I swapped cars. And what does the guy do? Clobbers 3 cones right in front of the station I'm working on his first run! (That's okay, I later returned the favour. :lol:)

My impression of the STi? It puts down a fair bit more power, a bit faster. The shifter feels a bit looser, throw feels a bit longer than the Evo's. Steering response and handling were good but not as tight as the Evo. Electronic center diff was pretty cool, had it set to maximum-rear power (about 35-65 distribution) for today's fairly sweeping fast course.

chrisw
03-08-2004, 08:01 AM
That was a fun course. I ran a 60.029 which put me in first for a little while until those mighty mooostangs laid down their R-compound smack.... I am still stuck on street tires. :(

vtluu
03-09-2004, 07:56 PM
Results are in! (http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results/2004/Championship/round3.html)

chrisw took 3rd (out of 9) in ESP. (Hey Chris, your car is still listed as "02 STi"! :P)

Joe Masters took 1st place in A Stock in his silver Evo.

Yours truly sucked less, and took 3rd (out of 7) in A Stock Novice. :)

chrisw
03-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Wow... I must get some R-compounds...

looking at those results, Joe masters would have won BSP, SS and a bunch of other classes.

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results/2004/Championship/round3.html