PDA

View Full Version : SAFCII on the IX

bdking57
09-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Is SAFCII going to work on the evo IX? or will you need something like the SAFCII with vtec controller?... It would suck if the mivec prevented the use.

ZK
09-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Is SAFCII going to work on the evo IX? or will you need something like the SAFCII with vtec controller?... It would suck if the mivec prevented the use.

I'm sure it will work. On Hondas, you can use the S-AFC or the V-AFC. You might be able to use a MIVEC controller on the 9 as well.

bdking57
09-27-2005, 11:49 AM
hmm so would the VAFC be able to work on the evo giving more tuning control?

earlyapex
09-27-2005, 12:00 PM
I suggest you do more research on what MIVEC actually does. I myself have not really looked into the MIVEC much yet.

The SAFC controls fuel by tricking the ecu into thinking it has more or less air coming in. That is all, it has nothing to directly do with timing.

I don't see the SAFC having any problems with the IX.

A good resource to check out are the UK evo boards, they have had the IX for awhile and many have been tuned with reflashes, piggybacks, and standalones

http://www.lancerregister.com/index.php?styleid=4

bdking57
09-27-2005, 03:05 PM
ahhh. gotcha. so if im understanding correctly, the mivec will just do its own thing based the SAFCII output..does the mivec respons to incoming air, inlet air temps and things like that ? or is it just rpm based...

earlyapex
09-27-2005, 03:22 PM
ahhh. gotcha. so if im understanding correctly, the mivec will just do its own thing based the SAFCII output..does the mivec respons to incoming air, inlet air temps and things like that ? or is it just rpm based...

I honestly do not know much how the MIVEC works, I haven't looked into it much.

I think I remember it only changes the intake cam at certain loads, rpms.

Here we go:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate/about_us/technology/performance/e/mivec.html

4. MIVEC system

4.1 Purpose of MIVEC system
The MIVEC system provides the engine with intake cams for a low-speed mode (in which the two intake valves of each cylinder have a different lift) and intake cams for a high-speed mode (in which both intake valves have equally high lift), and it selects the cams as necessary. The valve lift curves and the corresponding objectives are shown in Fig. 4.

When the engine speed is relatively low, the valvelift difference boosts in-cylinder flows, thereby stabilizing combustion and realizing low fuel consumption, low emissions, and high torque. When the engine speed becomes relatively high, increases in the valve-open duration and valve lift yield relatively large air intake volumes and increased output.

bdking57
09-27-2005, 03:36 PM
good info...lol ok now heres a question, is the mivec gonna make alter the sound of the evo drastically.. im just hoping it doesnt sound like a riced out civic with a catback on.

ZK
09-27-2005, 03:39 PM
good info...lol ok now heres a question, is the mivec gonna make alter the sound of the evo drastically.. im just hoping it doesnt sound like a riced out civic with a catback on.

It may alter the sound, but no way will it sound like a N/A car. Most turbo cars have a deep exhaust note.

Variable valve timing with turbo is nothing new. It has been available on many Japanese cars for a long time now.

earlyapex
09-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Subaru STi and Forester have had Variable Valve timing for 2 years.

earlyapex
09-27-2005, 03:45 PM
Also, take a look at the UK boards. MIVEC isn't really a big deal yet.

I honestly think Mitsu did it to compete with Subaru more. It's not like the 4G63 isn't able to make enough power without MIVEC. 8)

I think it's more for low end grunt than anything, if you notice, Mitsu has been adding to the low end grunt of the car every year.

dohcvtec
09-27-2005, 03:50 PM
Actually, the MIVEC going into the IX does not change lift nor duration. All it does is adjust intake cam timing (like and electronically adjustable cam gear on the intake cam).

earlyapex
09-27-2005, 04:00 PM
sounds cool. :lol:

trinydex
11-24-2005, 11:46 AM
I suggest you do more research on what MIVEC actually does. I myself have not really looked into the MIVEC much yet.

The SAFC controls fuel by tricking the ecu into thinking it has more or less air coming in. That is all, it has nothing to directly do with timing.

I don't see the SAFC having any problems with the IX.

A good resource to check out are the UK evo boards, they have had the IX for awhile and many have been tuned with reflashes, piggybacks, and standalones

http://www.lancerregister.com/index.php?styleid=4

it has nothing directly to do with timing but you can indirectly add timing by making hte ecu think lots less air is coming in wehn you lean things out globally after getting larger injectors. this maintains all stock safety gets you pretty smart timing curve.

the safc needs a new harness to work on the evo 9. there are people working on it.

earlyapex
11-24-2005, 11:11 PM

it has nothing directly to do with timing but you can indirectly add timing by making hte ecu think lots less air is coming in wehn you lean things out globally after getting larger injectors. this maintains all stock safety gets you pretty smart timing curve.

the safc needs a new harness to work on the evo 9. there are people working on it.

Thanks for repeating what I said 3 months ago. haha. Notice how I bolded the word "directly". But hey if you want to spell it out, go for it. 8)

drunk monkey
11-25-2005, 12:06 AM
so is mivec more like honda i-vtec where it changes timing right on the cam gear? or is it like vtec where there is a secondary lobe to increase lift on the camshaft? i know fields vtec/mivec controller has the ablitiy to work on hondas and mitsu cars.

Carlo

trinydex
11-25-2005, 03:01 AM

Thanks for repeating what I said 3 months ago. haha. Notice how I bolded the word "directly". But hey if you want to spell it out, go for it. 8)

i did wanna spell it out, in case this guy's never heard of it. i think people jump on the flash wagon for no good reason.

so is mivec more like honda i-vtec where it changes timing right on the cam gear? or is it like vtec where there is a secondary lobe to increase lift on the camshaft? i know fields vtec/mivec controller has the ablitiy to work on hondas and mitsu cars.

Carlo
only the timing part, no lobe switch

stockEVO8
11-25-2005, 10:51 AM
MIVEC is only timing control on the intake side...
and yes the safc2 does work wid the evo9
i've seen a evo9 dyno only has mbc and safc2 making 290ish whp on a dynojet :shock: