PDA

View Full Version : huge chunk of shrapnel in my tire!

bdking57
09-28-2005, 02:36 PM
This has been a bad day.. I left my cell phone in someone else car.. but it turned out it wasnt there car, but a loaner... then I find a ginourmous piece of shrapnel in one of my hankook RS2s.. I have only have these around 3 months, and America Tire company is telling me I need to replace all 4 tires because my tread is worn down half way already( seem to be wearing very fast).. then we called frisby race tire and they are able to shave them there for me.. is there anywhere else in the area that could possible shave the tire for me? I either need to get one shaved tire put on.. or all 4, and if im doing all 4 I might as well buy some nice used rims with tires.

vtluu
09-28-2005, 02:41 PM
How big is the metal chunk in your tire? I pulled a wedge-shaped piece of steel out of the center tread of my rear tire (a Hankook RS2 just like yours), it was about 1" long and 0.25" across, tapering to a point and causing my tire to leak air. I used one of those $8 plug kits and it's been holding air just fine since (and that was over a month ago). The plug has worn flush with the tire and unless you look very closely you can't even tell it's there.

Marshall (Evo_Grim) plugged a Falken Azenis RT215 for me the same way last year, and the puncture was right in the tire shoulder too. The plug worked perfectly even when I autocrossed on the tire and lasted until the day the tire wore out and I replaced it.

bdking57
09-28-2005, 02:49 PM
I would say the part that pierced in is just under an inch.. the guy at the place said it woudl take to of their plug kits.. which they couldnt do for liability reasons.. when i was pushing or pulling on the piece i could hear the hissing air.. however i filled it back up and lost no air during my 30 minute drive to the tire store and back to work.

This one looks to be tapering to a point also.

vtluu
09-28-2005, 02:52 PM
For a hole that big, your best bet is to un-mount the tire and put patch on the hole on the inside of the tire (may in combination with the plug too. I don't see why it couldn't be done. On what part of the tread is the puncture?

earlyapex
09-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Roger Krause in Castro Valley shaves tires too, FYI.

bdking57
09-28-2005, 03:06 PM
its right in the dead center of one of the center tread bands.. now its much deeper then it was earlier as it got pushed into the tire.. but considering it has to be pointed im pissed they didnt want to try and fix it.. i bet the actually puncture is small.

ZK
09-28-2005, 03:21 PM
I had my tires slashed before... that was not cool. Came out in the morning and all 4 new Falken tires had holes in the sidewall. :x

Most tire places will not fix sidewall punctures because its a safety issue. I put on my race set of wheels/tires and ended up just selling the Rays.

bdking57
09-28-2005, 03:51 PM
this isnt in the sidewall luckily.. hopefully i can get the tire repaired.

bdking57
09-29-2005, 06:11 AM
well I found the culprit.. it was a damn brass yankee doodle dandy pin that went head first into my tire..feather and all.. thats some bad luck. :cry: