PDA

View Full Version : Cryogenic treatment

vtluu
10-01-2005, 10:15 AM
I bought the PF 2-piece rotors, and sent the rotors off to NW Cryogenics (http://www.nwcryo.com/) (in SoCal) to get them cryogenically treated. Basically this involves gradually cooling the rotors to -300 degrees F, chilling them for a certain period of time (at least 8 hours), then raising them up to 100-400 F (depending on the specific item and metal) to heat-treat them. The whole process takes at least 24 hours.

Supposedly, the result is brake rotors that will last 100-300% longer than untreated rotors. I've also heard they will be more resistant to overheating and cracking. When I first heard about this, it sounded a bit like "snake oil", but many experienced racers swear by it, and I did a bit more research. I found a couple scientific papers that back up the claims with regards to cryo treatment improving strength and wear resistance: http://lennon.pub.csufresno.edu/~rlk16/cryo.html , http://www.bso.uiuc.edu/~chillar/CryogenicTreatmentofMetals.pdf

NW Cryogenics charges only $20 per rotor for cryo treatment, plus return shipping (which ended up being about $20). I figure even if my rotors last just 10% longer, the treatment would still be worth the money.

dohcvtec
10-01-2005, 10:52 AM
The company I used to work for cryotreated the shears we got from China. We had this huge "Ice box" that was the unit. It made the shears last much longer and they held their sharpness much longer also. Too bad we sold that machine a few years ago, I wanted to try it out on car parts too.

Dr. Evo
10-01-2005, 11:44 AM
So only about $80 per pair with shipping? That is a great price if it works. I am curious as to your findings. Hurry up and trac kthose puppies :D !

Evo442
10-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Tam - great find!

What you are going to have is exactly what I want, cryogenically treated 2 piece rotors.

What was the turnaround time on your rotors? With some companies, it can take over a month to get your rotors into their que.

I've been testing some cryogenically treated one piece rotors, have 9 (?) track days on them so far this year and they're holding up great. they've survived endless ccx, project mu titan kai, and PF pads so far.

They've lasted so long that its delayed my plans to buy 2 piece rotors.

I'll be looking forward to hearing how the PF cryo rotors hold up at the track!

vtluu
10-01-2005, 02:29 PM
About $72 all told; I shipped it to them via FedEx ground which cost me $12. Turnaround time was about two weeks, including shipping both ways, and this was partly because it took FedEx a week to get them there instead of the 3 days they'd estimated.

I just put them on the car along with new Performance Friction 95.7 pads; just got back from bedding them in, in fact. They feel great on the street and the noise is barely noticeable; in fact they don't really sound any louder than my slotted rotors + Ferodos did. I'll be giving them a first run at the Marina auto-x tomorrow, and their first track day at Reno on the 22nd.

earlyapex
10-01-2005, 03:24 PM
I just put them on the car along with new Performance Friction 95.7 pads; just got back from bedding them in, in fact. They feel great on the street and the noise is barely noticeable; in fact they don't really sound any louder than my slotted rotors + Ferodos did.

I told ya! Great combo. They will produce more noise after a track event or two, but still very quiet for what they are. The PF pads also seem to be slightly different pad set to pad set.

RT
10-02-2005, 06:46 AM
...I think you'll really like 'em Tam, our modified PFs are working great. Wear (to the rotor) looks minimal and still very little noise compared to stock PFs. Wear and noise (when cold) from the pads is about the same.

We did a little machine work to the dimples as well so noise from the rotor is way down, not much more than a stock/ slotted rotor as you say if that much.

Yup, I'm one of those old timers. :wink:

8)

nightwalker
10-02-2005, 02:05 PM
I'm definitely interested to see how the cryo-treated rotors do. I live in Reno, work in Truckee, and because of the extreme winter temperatures rotors love to warp up here.