PDA

View Full Version : Thunderhill Track day Nov. 11

ZK
10-06-2005, 10:39 AM
I will be out there helping instruct for this event.

They are still looking for drivers so if you are looking to come out to the track sign up! There's a lot more seat time than with SCCA and NASA events.

http://www.unlimitedlaps.com

Event Date: Friday November 11, 2005

Registration Deadline: Friday November 4th, 2005

Entry Fee
$225 - if registered and paid before deadline
$10 - Lunch for non-drivers

Register and pay for both Oct 31st and Nov 11th events and pay only $195 for each event. A savings of $60!

For all registrations received after the deadline, the normal entry price of $245 will apply. (Entry fee includes lunch, beverages and snacks)

Track Configuration: 3.0 Miles CCW

Richard EVO
10-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Isn't unlimitedlaps Jeff Blonder's group? I have been out with Jeff and his wife Gabrielle (they both drive E36 M3s) at Thunderhill and Reno-Fernley. Good people. Jeff instructs for TracQuest too.

ZK
10-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Isn't unlimitedlaps Jeff Blonder's group? I have been out with Jeff and his wife Gabrielle (they both drive E36 M3s) at Thunderhill and Reno-Fernley. Good people. Jeff instructs for TracQuest too.

The organizer is Hunpin... They tend to do a lot of Porsche, Subaru and VW events.

I don't know, maybe Jeff instructs and/or helps out?

Bonster
10-18-2005, 01:31 PM
I'll be there (instructing) as well, on both the 11th (Hunpin's group) and with the NASA group the day before. Sheesh -- it's like I live at the track or something.

Oh . . . BTW . . . speaking of Unlimited Laps -- HP is desperately needing to fill the October 31st event . . . has anyone posted a thread on it yet? I don't think I've come across it. If you run the October 31st event and the November 11th event as well, there's a special package deal on it. Details are on their website. :)

BW

ZK
10-18-2005, 01:39 PM
Hunpin had mentioned he was looking for drivers for the Oct. 31st event. I was going to post a thread but I'm not going to that one so didn't post it.

Nobodyx
10-27-2005, 08:23 PM
I'll be there...looks like there's going to be less than 20 people, which means a lot of track time and 77 degree weather....can't beat that.

MarkSAE
10-27-2005, 09:50 PM
I'll be there. I'm already signed up and registered. Do one of you guys instructing mind sitting with me for a session or two to give me some pointers?

Let's hope the weather cooperates that day. I can't wait. Only 2 more weeks!

dohcvtec
10-27-2005, 10:15 PM
and with the NASA group the day before.

BW

See ya at the NASA event Bonni

Bonster
10-28-2005, 04:22 AM
With the inclement weather (I only have dry tires and cannot at this time afford rain tires) and the shortage of cash, I won't be able to make the NASA event this weekend. I may change my mind at the last minute, but it's not looking good. This was the last real race of the season for me . . . but oh, well. This is my first year racing my own car, so most of the money available has been spent on the car itself. Life happens. I'll miss seeing you all! :(

BW

ZK
11-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Well, driver list is out.
http://www.unlimitedlaps.com/eventdetails/driverlist20051111.xml

Looks like a large # of Subarus. Turns out it is a semi-exclusive Subaru event. :roll:

hagakure
11-09-2005, 11:30 AM
I'll be at the NASA event thu, and with unlimited laps friday. See ya'll out there.

Percy

Bonster
11-09-2005, 01:04 PM
I'll be at the NASA event thu, and with unlimited laps friday. See ya'll out there.

Percy

***Me, too, on both days. Going to take off here in a little bit. See you there!

BW

dohcvtec
11-09-2005, 01:15 PM
I'm heading up around 5:30p.m. tonight. Traffic will be hell coming from Santa Clara. :( I'll see some of you guys tomorrow.

Bonster
11-09-2005, 01:41 PM
I'll see some of you guys tomorrow.

***AHEM! And gals. :P Sorry, the devil made me do it. I hope traffic is miraculously quiet. Yeah, sure. You poor thing. :?

BW

hagakure
11-09-2005, 03:02 PM

Percy

***Me, too, on both days. Going to take off here in a little bit. See you there!

BW

Hey Bonnie,

If you are instructing with NASA on thu, maybe you can ride with me for a check-off four HPDE 4. Nasa is the last group that I am not running in open passing with....I"ll look for you.

Percy

dohcvtec
11-09-2005, 04:28 PM
I'll see some of you guys tomorrow.

***AHEM! And gals. :P Sorry, the devil made me do it. I hope traffic is miraculously quiet. Yeah, sure. You poor thing. :?

BW
hehe, sorry about that, I guess I consider you one of "the guys" ;) I'm coming from Santa Clara, I'm dreading traffic up 680 :(

MarkSAE
11-12-2005, 10:39 AM
It was a great track day yesterday with lotsa track time. There were only about 12 cars or so in my group and ZK was my instructor. This was my first time driving the cyclone, so it took me a while to figure out Turn 5, but riding in ZK's car definitely helped me learn the braking and turn-in points for that turn. I can't believe how much more a stock EVO's tires squeal! The stock body roll really overloads the outside tires.

This was the first time I did 30 minute long sessions. My brakes started fading a lot towards the end of the sessions. I definitely need to rig up some ducting to help w/ the cooling.

I didn't realize the Endless SSSS pads were so tough on rotors. My front brake rotors are now grooved to shit. Also, these pads weren't enough for me as I still wasn't able to brake short and hard. I had to brake pretty early down the straights and keep my foot on the pedal, which further darkened my already brownbos. And my rear calipers are starting to darken.

I also boiled my brake fluid because I didn't do a cool-down lap on my last session. I ended the session early, so I came into the pits and just parked. 15 minutes later when I got in the car, the brake pedal was all mushy. Otherwise, the ATE blue fluid I was using held up fine. I'll drive around the pits next time.

ZK
11-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Mark, it was nice meeting you as well. Now I know a fellow San Franciscan Evo member!

Your car was set up pretty well, I really liked how your suspension felt - I'll have to keep it in mind when I decide to do mine. The suspension really makes a big difference. With the stock car there was a ton of body lean and I was really working the tires hard. I also fried my brakes, near the end of the day when I got on the brakes the steering wheel would shake violently and cause wheel hop - probably badly warped rotors. I sat out the last session because of that and the factory brake fluid was probably not doing too well. I am really impressed to how good the stock car performs.

It was cool seeing you and the black STI doing some cat and mouse around the course, you guys were head to head for quite a few laps!

earlyapex
11-12-2005, 12:50 PM
I sat out the last session because of that and the factory brake fluid was probably not doing too well.

If you are still using the stock pads, they tend to leave alot of deposits that make the rotors feel like that.

ZK
11-12-2005, 03:10 PM
If you are still using the stock pads, they tend to leave alot of deposits that make the rotors feel like that.

You mean the vibration through the wheel? It actually vibrated a little like that from the dealer. It just got a lot worse at the track. I am planning on turning the rotors, swapping in new pads and flushing brake system.

vtluu
11-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Yup, that happened when I drove Laguna Seca earlier this year on the stock pads--strong pulsing sensation through the wheel under braking. It usually clears up after a week or so of regular driving... You may want to consider more racey pads going forward, though.

Bonster
11-15-2005, 09:26 AM
If you are instructing with NASA on thu, maybe you can ride with me for a check-off four HPDE 4. Nasa is the last group that I am not running in open passing with....I"ll look for you.

Percy

***Percy . . . you left so soon from your mechanical issues that I never got to sign off your book! If you can get that car of yours fixed before one of the TEAM days, be sure and bring the book with you so that I can go for a couple evaluation laps right quick with you. I'm sure you're ready, the check ride is just a technicality. :)

BW

Bonster
11-15-2005, 09:28 AM
hehe, sorry about that, I guess I consider you one of "the guys" ;) (

***Dang it! No wonder I can't get a date. :D

BW

Bonster
11-15-2005, 09:34 AM
You guys really should be bleeding your brake fluid a LOT more often, from the sounds of some of your symptoms. Mooshy brake pedals mean that there are contaminants in the fluid. Those contaminants are what can make fluid boil. When the fluid boils, more contaminants can be pulled from the air as the fluid cools . . . and the viscous cycle continues. Just flush out your brake fluid really well next time . . . and do that about every three or four events (or every six months or so) and you should fare with better results. Heck -- I bleed my clutch and brake fluid about every third track day or every race weekend. It's cheap, easy, not very time-consuming, and the result is MORE FUN (and you can go faster 'cause you don't have to worry about your brakes going away).

As far as the vibration in the wheel . . . sounds like you didn't bed in your pads correctly or *maybe* you have a warped rotor. I'd be taking a look at those pads real closely before you return to the track -- I bet they aren't hitting square to your rotor(s). Every time I've had that kind of vibration it was from the pads. I've since learned how to bed them in properly, and the problem has went away, thank goodness. :)

BW

ZK
11-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Pics are up at gotbluemilk.com!