PDA

View Full Version : Need advice replacing throttle body

Matz
10-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of replacing the stock throttle body with my WORKS TB. I pulled off a couple of hoses and the intake hose, but as I was removing the throttle cable, I started to smell fuel. Is this normal? If I leave the throttle plate closed, I don't smell anything. As soon as I open it up, I smell fuel. I was scared since this didn't make sense -- can someone explain why this may be a problem (or why it really isn't)???

earlyapex
10-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Was it parked, then you started it, moved it a few feet, then shut it down before taking everything apart?

If you did, that's just unburnt fuel from the cold start. I have had that happen a couple times while replacing plugs, etc as well.

Btw, congrats on getting an evo again! 8)

Matz
10-08-2005, 01:43 AM
Ahhh... okay, thanks. Yes, in fact I had just moved the car inside the garage about 30 minutes prior to the removal of the TB. Cool... I'll continue to work on it in the morning and hopefully can get it done before EVO GRIM shows up. Got any good tricks for getting that throttle cable out? I had a much easier time with my old Evo...

Matz
10-08-2005, 02:14 AM
Hey Bryan, I have this feeling that the dealership isn't gonna have replacement TB gaskets in stock... think it'll be okay to replace the TB, but reuse the old gasket? Not sure how bad the leaking will be if I do this. Damn I should have thought about this earlier!

Matz
10-08-2005, 08:43 AM
I've got a few more questions about the throttle body removal procedure:

1. What *(@$*@) tool do you use to get those damn clamps off of the water hoses? I have needle nose pliers, which kind of work, but would be nice if there was something very stubby that locks the clamp in the open position so the hose is easier to take off.
2. Why is water running through the throttle body in the first place?
3. Should I be smart and clamp off the hose before removal, or is the amount of water that'll come out negligible? I tried some heavy duty jaw-type paper clips, but they didn't work.
4. Why the hell didn't I just have a shop do this? It seemed easy before, but this time around I'm having a pretty tough time with it.
5. Do I really have to replace the gasket, or can I use the old one? I know it's always best to replace any gasket, but I was hoping that I can get away with it since the dealership probably won't have any in stock.

If you can answer any or all of these questions, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

MarkSAE
10-08-2005, 09:38 AM
I've reused the gaskets at the throttle body before in my DSMs w/o issue, however those gaskets were fairly new. You'll know if you need a new gasket when you pressure test your intake and hear leaks.

Those clamps are a b*tch to get out at times due to the weird angles. I found that a pair of angled needle nose pliers work best. Whatever you do, don't spray WD40 on those areas to get the clamps to slide off easier. They totally weaken the hoses. I've had a set break on me before shortly after drenching them w/ WD40.

Congrats on having an EVO again!

Matz
10-08-2005, 09:48 AM
I've reused the gaskets at the throttle body before in my DSMs w/o issue, however those gaskets were fairly new. You'll know if you need a new gasket when you pressure test your intake and hear leaks.

Those clamps are a b*tch to get out at times due to the weird angles. I found that a pair of angled needle nose pliers work best. Whatever you do, don't spray WD40 on those areas to get the clamps to slide off easier. They totally weaken the hoses. I've had a set break on me before shortly after drenching them w/ WD40.

Congrats on having an EVO again!

Thanks, it's good to be back in an Evo again! There's nothing like driving a stick. :D

Cool, I didn't use WD40. I ended up using my straight needle nose pliers and slipping the clamp UP the hose rather than down like I did the last time. The hose came off pretty easily. Had a bit of a coolant leak, so I guess I need to get the air out of the system the next time I start up, right?

Had a big scare, because I couldn't find my WORKS TB! Luckily, I decided to look UNDER my toolchest, and there it was! :) I was about to freak out and call Marshall to tell him that I lost it...hehe

Anyhow, I'll leave the car where it is now, with the WORKS TB lightly screwed in. If I need to drive it, I'll finish the installation. But if not, I'm going to try to get new gaskets from Mitsu today so I don't have to go through the whole PITA again. I gotta get a gasket for Marshall anyway.

Thanks for the tips!!!