PDA

View Full Version : GGLC at Buttonwillow

Evo442
10-10-2005, 08:07 PM
I'm sure most of you got this email too, but anyway GGLC is having a hard time filling their Buttonwillow event a week from today.

Early bird pricing lasts thru this friday.

Great price for a lot of track time!

earlyapex
10-10-2005, 08:13 PM
it's so weird, sometimes I don't get GGLC emails.

Can you pm me it?

Eclipse
10-10-2005, 08:15 PM
I didn't get it either and I checked Yahoo groups, no activity there.

Anyway, I'm registered already. :wink:

Two years ago they also had trouble finding people. We ran with 23 people in 22 cars. :lol:

Lots of empty track available.

MarkSAE
10-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Anyone up here planning on going to this? I'm thinking about it. Since I'm still a newbie and haven't been to Buttonwillow before, how is it compared to T-hill? Do they have gas pumps there?

earlyapex
10-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Anyone up here planning on going to this? I'm thinking about it. Since I'm still a newbie and haven't been to Buttonwillow before, how is it compared to T-hill? Do they have gas pumps there?

yes they have pump just like T-hill, although the last two times I went they where out of freaking 100 octane.

Buttonwillow is VERY fun. I personally think it's a faster track.

The drive there and back sux major balls though.

Eclipse
10-10-2005, 08:22 PM
They have 91 100 unleaded and 110 leaded.

It's very flat with two man made bumps they call "hills". Not a lot of camber in the corners either way. Many configs we'll run config 1 CCW. Very fun but it's all I've run so I can't compare it. Check http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/

Eclipse
10-10-2005, 08:23 PM
yes they have pump just like T-hill, although the last two times I went they where out of freaking 100 octane.

How recent was this?

Richard EVO
10-10-2005, 08:32 PM
I was there 10 days ago with SpeedVentures and I have run the track at least 15 times. They have never run out of race gas when I was there. 100 Octane is $5.50/gal. at the automated pump. They also have a tire shop, not sure it will be open, but usually is. If you might need tires, call ahead to be sure. The facilities are generally a little better than Thunderhill. Hopefully GGLC rented the clubhouse, so that you have an air conditioned place to go if it is hot outside, which is actually possible in mid-October at Buttonwillow.

What configuration and direction is GGLC running? My favorite is #25 CCW. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/richard350z/BW-race_25_config.gif

earlyapex
10-10-2005, 08:32 PM
They have 91 100 unleaded and 110 leaded.

It's very flat with two man made bumps they call "hills". Not a lot of camber in the corners either way. Many configs we'll run config 1 CCW. Very fun but it's all I've run so I can't compare it. Check http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/

It's not flat!

Sunrise isn't flat
cotton corners isn't flat
riverside is a huge cambered sweeper
Lost hills is the biggest elevation

earlyapex
10-10-2005, 08:33 PM

yes we know, from the last 15 times you have told us. 8)

Richard EVO
10-10-2005, 08:38 PM

yes we know, from the last 15 times you have told us. 8)

Maybe so, but you didn't answer the question. :P

Evo442
10-10-2005, 08:41 PM
it's so weird, sometimes I don't get GGLC emails.

Can you pm me it?

U got pm...

Its configuration 1, CCW by the way.

I'm working that day but I hope some of you are able to go. I like this group and want them to be able to continue to run events!

Eclipse
10-10-2005, 08:42 PM
It's not flat!

Sunrise isn't flat
cotton corners isn't flat
riverside is a huge cambered sweeper
Lost hills is the biggest elevation

All right for that matter the offramp is cambered too.

No "real" elevation changes is what I meant, just little bumps for magic mountain and lost hill.

Riverside is a suck it up corner for me. I'm wondering what it will be like CCW.

Richard EVO
10-10-2005, 08:46 PM
#1 CCW is fun too. The re-did the burm in the bus stop, it is lower now, smooth and repainted, so you can go over it without going airborne. :lol:

Richard EVO
10-10-2005, 08:49 PM
eclipse: "No 'real' elevation changes is what I meant, just little bumps for magic mountain and lost hill.

Uuuuhhh, Magic Mtn. IS Lost Hill. The official name on the track maps is Lost Hill but everyone calls it Magic Mtn. The other elevation change is smaller, on the map I posted it's called the Grapevine. :wink:

earlyapex
10-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Riverside is a suck it up corner for me. I'm wondering what it will be like CCW.

It's scarier CCW. They say to actually chill in riverside going that way if you don't have roll-over protection.

Tony and I got a little carried away last time we did it that way because we where sparring during a session, so we took it uber fast and I almost soiled my pants when I did a nice four wheel drift through the last part of it at over 100 mph.

Felt awesome after I realized I pulled it off and I was still alive though. 8) :shock: 8)

Richard EVO
10-10-2005, 08:55 PM
The Buttonhook ("on-ramp") is much easier CCW. It's just a sweeper coming off the short straight from Cotton Corners, until you get most of the way in, then brake, hard left, and off you go. Star Mazda is also fun CCW. Hard left, track out to right side, then long straight and up the hill to Magic Mtn. Take the crest of the hill all the way to the left on the burm, then track out to the right as you start coming downhill.

Eclipse
10-10-2005, 08:58 PM
eclipse: "No 'real' elevation changes is what I meant, just little bumps for magic mountain and lost hill.

Uuuuhhh, Magic Mtn. IS Lost Hill. The official name on the track maps is Lost Hill but everyone calls it Magic Mtn. The other elevation change is smaller, on the map I posted it's called the Grapevine. :wink:

Ahh yeah the one after cotton corners I mistakenly called magic mountain. I thought it was the other way around.

Since you run a lot there. What's the give up corner in the cotton corners section CW? I've tried a lot of different lines and I've never felt like I quite got it down.

Scott

Richard EVO
10-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Going CW, the give up is the second turn (left). Going CCW I, not so sure, probably give up the second one (right). You want to be set up to take the left turn onto the short straight ("I-5" on the map) leading up to the buttonhook fast. That's one place where I always pull away from other cars CCW. Like I said, come out of that last left of Cotton Corners onto I-5 and go balls out, brake a little into the sweeper part of the on-ramp, and you are carrying a lot of speed, late in the turn, straighten out the wheel and brake hard for a 90-degree plus left. When you take it that way, you get lots of point-bys on I-5.

Have fun.

Eclipse
10-19-2005, 10:03 PM
7- 30minute sessions. 230 miles ontrack. I don't want to figure out how many gallons of 100 octane no lead I used.

There were less first timers in B this time. They said they were 10 cars down from breaking even. With somewhere around 40 cars there. I was held up much less than back in the spring with GGLC. Now I just need to decide whether to move up to A. I still lack consistency.

Ecsta MX's aren't enough for the track even though I still like them on the street.

In the last session I was one of three cars ontrack. 8) My best session ever on track.

They really changed the off ramp corner for going CCW, it adds .1 mile. It goes straight out of the I5 straight into a giant 180 with tight bend right the end where offramp starts going CW. It's kind of awkward IMO. My instinct was to carry too much speed and abuse my tires through the section. I would rather get on the brakes harder and do the offramp. I did a triple+ tank slapper there right after going around an Esprit. :oops:

Lost Hill was very different as well. I tried a couple of different lines and liked braking heavy at the bottom bend best. And shot straight over the top abusing the tires a bit again on the other side.

The reverse esses are breeze with a little trail braking.

Oh yeah, Forcefed Elise made an appearance. Very quick little car. One of the two fastest cars in A by reports.

earlyapex
10-19-2005, 10:16 PM
Oh yeah, Forcefed Elise made an appearance. Very quick little car. One of the two fastest cars in A by reports.

Wow it actually ran for the whole day? I heard they had to bring it down to 200 something HP later in the day.

Eclipse
10-19-2005, 10:25 PM
It mainly gave rides in the afternoon. It was in and out constantly. In the second to the last B session it stopped on track. Someone said it ran out of gas and the crew was embarassed. But I don't really know.

Scott