PDA

View Full Version : Reno-Fernley Event on October 22-23rd

Bonster
10-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Only $175 for one day, $325 for both days. This event is being put on by T.E.A.M. Racing specifically honoring the NorCal Evo folks . . . but we need more Evos! :) Complete details are at www.team-racing.org Hurry! Sign ups close on October 19th! Sorry for the short notice -- I could have swore we already had a thread around here somewhere.

BW

earlyapex
10-12-2005, 01:35 PM
so..

Who is signed up and for what day?

1. Me , Earlyapex - sat
2. dohcvtec - sat
3. Percy - sat
4. Circus-slut - possible sat
5. MethodsWhore - sat
6. Tam - both days like the playa he is
7. ??

dohcvtec
10-12-2005, 02:30 PM
+me for Saturday.

crctslt
10-12-2005, 05:48 PM
I am planning on Saturday. Just haven't did it yet....

hagakure
10-12-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm signed up for saturday.

Percy

Bonster
10-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Drivers list is at http://www.onemain.com/~bonster/Fernley.html If you are signed up but are not on the list, email me at [email protected] right away so that I can clear it up for ya. :)

BW

earlyapex
10-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Drivers list is at http://www.onemain.com/~bonster/Fernley.html If you are signed up but are not on the list, email me at [email protected] right away so that I can clear it up for ya. :)

BW

Only 13 cars so far?!?!? :shock:

Seems like everyone is having a hard time filling events this month! Speedventures only has 24 cars for their event this friday, GGLC is having a hard time filling buttonwillow next week too. :cry:

Eclipse
10-12-2005, 06:18 PM
I like uncrowded tracks. Too bad it's unreasonably far for me.

It Googles as 465 miles one way. That's four days, which I can't afford.

dohcvtec
10-12-2005, 06:34 PM
I like uncrowded tracks. Too bad it's unreasonably far for me.

It Googles as 465 miles one way. That's four days, which I can't afford.
Holy crap where the hell do you live? :shock:

Eclipse
10-12-2005, 06:46 PM
100 miles down HWY 1 from Monterey.

Which is why you won't catch me at TH often either. :wink:

crctslt
10-12-2005, 11:28 PM
so..

Who is signed up and for what day?

1. I might possibly sign up for Saturday.
2. dohcvtec - sat
3. Percy - sat
4. Circus-slut - sat
5. MethodsWhore - sat
6. Tam - both days like the playa he is
7. ??

Signed up and paid for Saturday. Will be bringing my Hot Lap transmitter.

Nearlyapex, Sign up. Give into the darkside. Besides you can't let me and meffidsho be faster than you :P Yeah I know I'm an instigator :roll:

earlyapex
10-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Signed up and paid for Saturday. Will be bringing my Hot Lap transmitter.

I put you on the list, #4. 8)

crctslt
10-13-2005, 09:30 AM
Yeah I hadn't signed up. Just did it last night and updated the list.

See I'm not reading comprehension challenged all the time. :lol:

methods4
10-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Does anyone need to split a room?

nebolic
10-14-2005, 03:15 PM

BW

Only 13 cars so far?!?!? :shock:

Seems like everyone is having a hard time filling events this month! Speedventures only has 24 cars for their event this friday, GGLC is having a hard time filling buttonwillow next week too. :cry:

maybe gas prices are too high? like your last track event gas tab was insane!!!!! :shock:

nebo

Richard EVO
10-14-2005, 03:59 PM
I'll say gas prices are too high. Reno-Fernley chrages $7/gal. for 100 octane unleaded. :(

earlyapex
10-14-2005, 04:37 PM
I'll say gas prices are too high. Reno-Fernley chrages $7/gal. for 100 octane unleaded. :(

SEVEN BUX?!?!!?

dohcvtec
10-14-2005, 04:45 PM

SEVEN BUX?!?!!?
Sucks for you evo's guys. My del slo loves the 91 :D

Gruppe-S
10-14-2005, 05:42 PM

SEVEN BUX?!?!!?

Haha..you hater!!! I wish I still got my integra. :lol:

Tom

earlyapex
10-14-2005, 06:13 PM

SEVEN BUX?!?!!?

I thought you where bringing the EVO?

earlyapex
10-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Bonnie,

How many drivers do you need so you won't cancel the event? Or are you not canceling no matter what?

I only see 13 cars signed right now. :(

C group is going to be lonely. Only 2 cars

and only 6 cars for sunday. TOTAL. :(

Richard EVO
10-14-2005, 08:32 PM
I was at Reno-Fernley in August for the TNL driving school. 2 days with the track to ourselves, one instructor and four students, and unlimited track time. The only real downside was the fuel cost. I have to run on 100 octane with my Muellerized EVO set-up, and with all that track time, I was filling up at least 3 times a day at $7/gal. There is no place else nearby with cheaper race gas, as far as I could find out.

I think the gas cost more than the driving school fee, which, given the unlimited open track time, was cheap at $195/day for TNL.

I won't be able to make this event, but I'm sure you guys will have a blast. Looking forward to running the new expanded track, as soon as I can get up there again. 8)

earlyapex
10-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Photos of the new track construction up.

Scroll down for additonal photos. Looks killer!

http://www.reno-fernleyraceway.com/Phase3.php

Evo442
10-15-2005, 04:24 AM

wow - that track does look sweet!

Is this event still on??

dohcvtec
10-15-2005, 08:55 AM

SEVEN BUX?!?!!?

I thought you where bringing the EVO?
Decided to bring the Honda. I just got the new brakes on and my RA1's only have a single 20 min session on them! LOL. Plus, my Advan's on the Evo are nearly gone, I don't think they would last a day on the track and I don't think my winter tires would be too fun.

crctslt
10-15-2005, 11:38 PM

wow - that track does look sweet!

Is this event still on??

AFAIK the event will be on no matter what.

Last time I was there I stayed at the Silver Legacy. Nice place plus the room was only $29.00 :D Only problem was the 30 mile drive to Fernley in the morning.

Bonster
10-16-2005, 09:43 PM
YES the event is on no matter what . . . profit from previous events will see to it (dang it -- there goes my new tires and suspension bushings and clutch, lol). I just can't let you guys down . . .that's how (insane?) I am.

Anyway . . . here's some REALLY cool news . . . I bet a few of you are gonna wanna go a second day when you hear this. Just this morning we decided to take the two novice drivers -- both of whom already have two days with us -- and put them (with instructors, of course) among the five intermediate group drivers. What this translates to is THREE (not two, but THREE) hours of track time per day!!! I have not updated the website yet, but the total for Saturday is actually 16, Sunday is 8. I was at Thunderhill last Friday with the Ferrari club instructing and might have drummed up a few more (really fast -- GT2s, etc.) folks. We'll see.

So no, there is not a chance of cancelling. If anyone wants to 'donate' a few extra bucks, we certainly won't turn it down. The track is working with us -- but they gotta make a living too, ya know. So yes, I could use some Tums, Rolaids, or how about MORE SIGNUPS just about now. If every one that was only going for one day could do both days, that would make a huge dent. Ah, well. RFR is just too new of a track I suppose.

See you guys soon!!! Oh -- you all should have received an email with room rate discounts in the area, along with our driver's handbook. You gotta bring in the little form that says you recieved and read the thing -- don't forget -- it only takes ten minutes to read. Good bathroom material, lol.

Take care,

BW

Bonster
10-16-2005, 09:47 PM
Last time I was there I stayed at the Silver Legacy. Nice place plus the room was only $29.00 :D Only problem was the 30 mile drive to Fernley in the morning.

***Here's what I think you all should do, to get the best deal . . . we will have security at the track on Satruday night at least . . . why not car pool it back to Reno and leave some of your cars (please remove keys and lock cars) . . . and I know you can get four or maybe five folks in an Evo (or a big ol' Prelude, lol) . . . that will at least save you guys on gas, etc.. If you want, if you give me your room number (s) once you know them, I can call your butts up and wake you . . . whatever you do -- don't trust motel room alarm clocks (I was once late for my own event because of that), and don't trust the dorky desk clerks to give you a wake up call, either. I bring a alarm watch with me now.

Anyway . . . rambling . . .

BW

earlyapex
10-17-2005, 02:55 PM
Alright, I am signed up! What hotel is everyone staying at?

dohcvtec
10-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Woot!
Haven't got a hotel yet. I'm voting the Nugget. I'll most likely be staying Saturday night also for drinking + gambling. :)

Bonster
10-17-2005, 06:46 PM
EARLYAPEX . . . if you are Bryan M., I just sent you the email with all the goodies about motel room pricing. Yes, the Nugget is one that we get a discount at (twenty dollars off -- not bad!). There are also a couple in Fernley. Everyone here that is going should have received that email -- with the tech form, the driver handbook, etc.. READ the driver handbook, please . . . or at least seriously skim it. It only takes a few minutes to read -- there's a little form at the end that you sign and turn in with your tech form. We started doing this because there are too many folks that never read the handbook, and then sometimes get into trouble 'cause they don't know the rules, etc.

Anywho . . . I'm glad you guys are joining us!!! I don't think I can handle three hours of track time . . . I'm sure you all can, though! Lol. Maybe we should hire a tanker of gasoline for you high boosted folks. Lol.

BW

earlyapex
10-17-2005, 07:33 PM
Yup, that's me, thanks bonnie!

crctslt
10-17-2005, 10:28 PM
wootness :D

hagakure
10-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Hey Guys,

Just confirmed with the track that we are running the 2.2 mile configuration, not the full new track. They are still finishing rumble strips, etc...so that will have to wait for next year. I'm actually not that dissapointed, because it gives me an opportunity to see if I can go a little faster on the old configuration! IT's a great track, and will be a ton of fun. I'll see everyone there. I'm leaving friday afternoon, and will be staying at the super 8 in Fernley.

Bonster
10-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks for checking for us, Haga . . . I can't believe they're still not done. I was told a MONTH ago that it would be done in time. Oh, well . . . I'm not complaining much, as the track is being very generous to us to let us run with basically half the drivers / money that we need to rent the track normally. That and I've never seen the new section either . . . so our instructors would have to be working really hard for us, lol. I was promised at least parade laps at lunchtime on the new section. I will be meeting up with the track manager Friday afternoon around three or so . . . if anyone wants to come out, I'm sure they'll let us check it out a little early (parade lap speeds, no helmets, etc.). I will be calling the track tomorrow with our final head count . . . I was worried that we might not have enough to pay for lunches, but fortunately, we do now.

I will be staying at a friend's house in Stagecoach, most likely (some of you know her -- Eileen Thomas aka ET). You will be able to reach me on my cell phone at (916) 320-4020 this weekend and Friday afternoon. Be sure and check on the drivers list later today . . . I need to update it again.

Talk to you folks soon!

BW

dohcvtec
10-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Shucks, I was hoping to run the new track. Oh well, I haven't even done the existing 2.2 yet. The track was half that size last time I was on it. lol

Bonster
10-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Shucks, I was hoping to run the new track. Oh well, I haven't even done the existing 2.2 yet. The track was half that size last time I was on it. lol

***Yeah, I was too . . . there were eight Corvette folks that would have joined us if the new portion had been finished in time. That would have been a BLAST! Corvettes versus Evos . . . there would have to be a lot of work and how fun it would be to watch all you guys pass my SM. Lol.

Anyway, dohcvtec . . . the new 2.2 section uses the track up until you would turn in for turn 9, then it's new stuff. It's a ton of fun as it is; this will be the first time I've been on it in my own car (which will be tough -- the last time I was there was the weekend I was instructing / driving Corvettes . . . it's gonna feel slow now, I bet).

BW

earlyapex
10-18-2005, 02:00 PM
So it's only the 2.2mile high speed section for this weekend? No technical section at all?

Ugh.

That's a big bummer. I really only signed up because of the full track. A 4 hour drive for the old track is bleh.

Bonster
10-18-2005, 05:31 PM
That's a big bummer. I really only signed up because of the full track. A 4 hour drive for the old track is bleh.

***I'm holding out for a miracle, but yeah, if Haga called in and they told him that, then I guess we're stuck with it. We'll make sure and give you guys some kind of special discount for the next event once they get the new section open. I think they've been somewhat sitting on their hands on this one. We lost a bunch of potential sign ups because they wouldn't guarantee it to be open. It's been like a rollercoaster trying to get a firm answer. But you still get THREE hours on the track -- that's not bad.

Four hours, yeah . . . not fun. But you could be going for three hours in a loud, hot racecar with no a.c. or power steering, lol. Life could be worse. We'll at least get some parade laps on the new section, as long as we behave. We'll be among the first to see it, at least.

BW

dohcvtec
10-18-2005, 05:39 PM
I called the track today also to get the scoop. The section is done, however the asphalt was just sealed yesterday. Another reason why its not open is because of the lack of corner workers for that weekend. Guess the bikes didn't get to run it last weekend either.

Richard EVO
10-18-2005, 06:10 PM
Maybe they have come to their senses and are going to let the asphalt cure for a while.

The back straight of the 2.2 mile track had a washboard surface because they raced on it a week after they paved it. They fixed some of that, but it's still not flat.

Sorry you guys are going to miss out on the expanded track.

Bonster
10-18-2005, 06:41 PM
I called the track today also to get the scoop. The section is done, however the asphalt was just sealed yesterday. Another reason why its not open is because of the lack of corner workers for that weekend. Guess the bikes didn't get to run it last weekend either.

***I don't get it . . . they sealed the track over a month ago! And the latest I'd heard from the secretary was they were going to reseal it again this past Monday. Let me talk to the track manager . . . he'd mentioned having at least a portion of it open for us. Seems that these folks have a way to go in the organization department. But again, they're letting us run for cheap considering. If I were to actually pay full price, with the number of drivers we have, I'd have to double the price just to pay the bill. So they're being really nice to us. Next year, though, when that new section is open, we'll have to have at least 40 drivers if we are to keep the current pricing.

Speaking of next year . . . do you folks have a preference of what time of year you'd like to run the track (which will be expanded by then)? I was thinking to make a reservation for us really early so that we'd have a good chance of getting it. Let me know . . .

See you soon, and thanks for understanding about the track not being complete. I was really hoping he'd come through for us. <sigh> :cry:

BW

crctslt
10-18-2005, 07:22 PM
I was interested in running the new sction but at least I will get to compare my experience directly with the previous time in June.

If we go back next year I would avoid May. In june there were thousands of butterflies at the track. When I remarked to one of the workers on their prevelance he said I should have come the month before, when they were all caterpillars crawling on the track :o So I think I would like to avoid sliding out of control on a sea of caterpillar guts :roll:

Bonster
10-18-2005, 07:38 PM
So I think I would like to avoid sliding out of control on a sea of caterpillar guts :roll:

***ROFL, that's disgusting! So we'll shoot for June or later. I think April might keep us from getting over the pass, so I'll avoid that month too. I went before with NASA in July and August to the races. July was a little warm of course, but August was awful with the high winds in the late afternoon. There were winds in July, too, but August was far worse. So we'll shoot maybe for late June or early July . . . what do you guys think?

Anyway, I know that was off-subject, but since you are all glued to this topic, I thought it might be a good idea to get your opinions.

BW

earlyapex
10-18-2005, 08:53 PM
So basically they built a track in the worst possible spot ever? haha

I can't even imagine track events there in dec-feb. It's unreachable via going through the mountains because of snow. Well, if you don't have all-seasons or chains.

Bonster
10-18-2005, 09:12 PM
So basically they built a track in the worst possible spot ever? haha

I can't even imagine track events there in dec-feb. It's unreachable via going through the mountains because of snow. Well, if you don't have all-seasons or chains.

***Unfortunately, most tracks are built in areas that would otherwise be considered dead land. Look at Thunderhill -- what's out there except for cows, dry grass most of the year, and soil as hard as clay with little resource for water? And Willow Springs -- same thing, only no cows. Same for Buttonwillow. Sears is not very populated, either. Laguna is these days, but that is a fairly recent development as Monterey and Pacific Grove became over-populated. And we don't even need to talk about Pahrump. ;)

The word I have heard is that the track rarely sees snow -- it's getting to it, as you mentioned, that makes it hard for them to make any money off the venture. If you lived in Carson City or maybe even the Reno area, surely you'd have plenty of opportunity to go play. I imagine it's similar for folks in their area to make it down here for our track events, for the same reason.

Alas . . . my cat box is a piece of land that nobody would want to venture into . . . maybe I should set up a racetrack for fleas or something in there. Lol.

BW

earlyapex
10-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Alas . . . my cat box is a piece of land that nobody would want to venture into . . . maybe I should set up a racetrack for fleas or something in there. Lol.

BW

My slot car track has 2 turns that go through my cats litter box. That turn I named the "Almond Roca esses". :shock:

Bonster
10-18-2005, 10:07 PM
My slot car track has 2 turns that go through my cats litter box. That turn I named the "Almond Roca esses". :shock:

***EEEEUUUuuuu!!! :lol: So how does the cat react? Did you give it a set of flags to display? For instance, a debris flag?!? ROFL.

BW

earlyapex
10-19-2005, 02:27 PM
Ok Tony and I reserved a room at the Nugget in Reno.

No two bed rooms avail in non-smoking in the courtyard so we pimped out and got a room in the tower.

Who else is staying at the nugget?

dohcvtec
10-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Me!
I'm in the projects... er, courtyard though.

vtluu
10-19-2005, 04:16 PM
I booked the Hilton in Reno for $54 (plus tax; comes out to about $63) a night, through HotWire.com (look for a 3.5 star hotel for $54 a night). According to the description, their attractions include a go-kart track. :twisted:

dohcvtec
10-19-2005, 04:19 PM
I booked the Hilton in Reno for $54 (plus tax; comes out to about $63) a night, through HotWire.com (look for a 3.5 star hotel for $54 a night). According to the description, their attractions include a go-kart track. :twisted:
:o
Maybe we should cancel the Nugget reservations and stay there?

Bonster
10-19-2005, 05:07 PM
I would take the Flamingo Hilton over the Nugget, for sure. You might get a room where you hear the train going over the tracks, but it's decent. I was there about four years ago and it was great considering the price and close distance to places to eat, etc.. Hangovers are NOT allowed, you kids! Lol.

BW -- can't wait to meet you all!!! :D

crctslt
10-19-2005, 06:59 PM
If things are the same as they were in June I wanted to let people know to bring plenty of cash for gas as they didn't accept credit cards at the track.

earlyapex
10-19-2005, 07:54 PM
If things are the same as they were in June I wanted to let people know to bring plenty of cash for gas as they didn't accept credit cards at the track.

Are you kidding?

methods4
10-19-2005, 08:55 PM
I would take the Flamingo Hilton over the Nugget, for sure. You might get a room where you hear the train going over the tracks, but it's decent. I was there about four years ago and it was great considering the price and close distance to places to eat, etc.. Hangovers are NOT allowed, you kids! Lol.

BW -- can't wait to meet you all!!! :D

Dammit. Bryan, change our reservation already!

Tam: I couldn't find a room in Downtown Reno at Hotwire.com for $54/night. The cheapest was $89/night.

Who's up for shennanigans the night before the track day. Or the night after the trackday. :P

Bonster
10-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Night AFTER the track day, please . . . I know partying is fun, but we (TEAM Racing) have a perfect record, and WILL keep it that way.

Yes, unfortunately, I can't even pay the track with my VISA for our track day (there go those extra miles), so indeed, bring cash. This is not a reflection on TEAM -- but on the track itself. Sorry . . . I don't run the track. Sucks, but ya know how it can be. :p

BW

crctslt
10-19-2005, 09:48 PM

Are you kidding?

NOPE :x

Richard EVO
10-19-2005, 11:48 PM
Not only do you have to pay cash for 100 octane gas at the track, I will repeat my warning that it is $7/gal. Have fun, and don't go broke. :D

vtluu
10-20-2005, 12:02 AM
Tam: I couldn't find a room in Downtown Reno at Hotwire.com for $54/night. The cheapest was $89/night.
Reno East is where you need to look. East Side, baby! :lol:

Matz
10-20-2005, 01:56 AM
Who's up for shennanigans the night before the track day. Or the night after the trackday. :P

Make sure that "shennanigans" doesn't mean "strip clubs". Save your dollar bills for Vegas, trust me.

Bonster
10-20-2005, 02:53 AM
Not only do you have to pay cash for 100 octane gas at the track, I will repeat my warning that it is $7/gal. Have fun, and don't go broke. :D

***I'm probably going to have to invest in gas cans, as it is useless to put anything more than 92 test in my normally aspirated car. This should be interesting, as I might be renting it out for at least one of the days, and I am not planning to include gas in the price.

BW

vtluu
10-20-2005, 07:21 AM
I have a pile o' gas cans (they came with the rally car) but no room to haul them. :?

I've been doing a bit of research. I believe I've located the motorcycle shop with the VP100 sign on it: MOTORCYCLE MANIA, 10 W MAIN STREET, FERNLEY, NV 89408 Phone: (775) 575-2703

According to their answering machine they're open 9-4 on Saturday. I'll contact them and see if they have racing fuel.

Also, amongst RFR's sponsors is listed a dealer for racing fuel, Casazza Oil in Reno: (775) 323-1866, 1575 E Commercial Row, Reno, NV. I have no idea if this is a gas station or a wholesaler etc. but I'll try to get some info about them today.

Bonster
10-20-2005, 09:11 AM
I have a pile o' gas cans (they came with the rally car) but no room to haul them. :?

***I'm going to borrow my friend's cans (she lives up there -- you guys know ET, right?) . . . she's got four 5-gallon cans. I plan to dump my stuff off and go into town and get some gas. One nice things about those of us with wee little hp -- we can buy cheaper gas. :D

BW

crctslt
10-20-2005, 09:55 AM
I will bringing 15 gals. of 100 octane. i had to go to Infineon to get my new tire so I figured I'd fill up the gas cans while there.

Last time I found VP racing fuel in 5 gal. cans it came out to closer to $8.00/ gal. for 101 oct. so the track might be a better source, assuming that the fuel hasn't been sitting around for months turning to shellac.....

dohcvtec
10-20-2005, 10:04 AM
How much is the 92 octane at the track? (or 91, whatever they have)

Bonster
10-20-2005, 10:20 AM
How much is the 92 octane at the track? (or 91, whatever they have)

***RFR doesn't have 92 octane. Sears sells it for around four bucks a gallon. Personally, I'm just going to fill up my cans at the Chevron station in Fernley. The weather is supposed to be in the 70s all weekend, so you turbo folks won't have as rough of a time with pinging issues, at least. The gas pumps at the track have been treated, so no chance of turning to shellac. ;)

BW

dohcvtec
10-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Hmm... Hey Tam, mind letting me borrow some gas cans? :)

vtluu
10-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Sure, swing on by tonight and grab them if you want.

I called Motorcycle Mania; I was told they usually stock about $1000 worth of racing fuel but at the moment they're all out. D'oh!

dohcvtec
10-20-2005, 11:33 AM
You're teh man! 8)

vtluu
10-20-2005, 12:26 PM
I have excellent news! Casazza Oil is a 76 station and they have VP100 at the pump for $5.40 a gallon. They're open 7 days a week!

Here's their address again: 1575 E Commercial Row, Reno, NV

Google Maps link: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1575+E+Commercial+Row,+Reno,+NV&spn=0.027545,0.064579&iwloc=A&hl=en

earlyapex
10-20-2005, 12:56 PM
I have excellent news! Casazza Oil is a 76 station and they have VP100 at the pump for $5.40 a gallon. They're open 7 days a week!

Unfortunatly according to mapquest, they are 41 minutes from the track. So stock up on cans cause you won't be hitting that place up between sessions.

Bonnie, what gas DOES the track have? 91/100/112? Or do I have to leave the track after every session to go to a gas station?

Bonster
10-20-2005, 01:09 PM
Bonnie, what gas DOES the track have? 91/100/112? Or do I have to leave the track after every session to go to a gas station?

***IIRC, it's 110 (unleaded) . . . might be 100 octane . . . for sure it's at least 100 octane -- a pure waste of money unless you have forced induction.

BW

earlyapex
10-20-2005, 01:12 PM
***IIRC, it's 110 (unleaded) . . . might be 100 octane . . . for sure it's at least 100 octane -- a pure waste of money unless you have forced induction.

BW

So no 91 octane at the track? They ONLY have 100 octane at 7bux a gallon? How far is the gas station from the track?

Bonster
10-20-2005, 01:32 PM
So no 91 octane at the track? They ONLY have 100 octane at 7bux a gallon? How far is the gas station from the track?

***Yeah, it's kind of lame . . . but remember, all tracks started out like this. The gas station is only about five miles from the track, in "downtown" Fernley. If you are running on 91 octane, and if you'll help me transport the cans (I try not to drive my racecar on the street), we can just share the gas out of my cans that I'm borrowing off of ET (there are four 5-gallon cans . . . I think that will help). I should be at the track tomorrow by 3PM . . . maybe we can meet and you can go on a "gas run"? If ET is home when I get into town, I'll use the track truck and do the deed.

BW

earlyapex
10-20-2005, 01:47 PM
I go through 10 gallons every 2 30min sessions at thill, so I might get away with more at reno's shorter track and 20min sessions.

Although it does look like I will be at WOT much more at reno.

crctslt
10-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Getting gas in town is no problem. I did it last time with Percy. It's actually shorter than going into town at TH. Besides we can share my cans as well. If you feel like it I have several quarts of Xylene I was going to use to make poor mans race gas( I just hadn't gotten to it yet). I can bring them if you want so you can go back to yer DSM roots :D

vtluu
10-20-2005, 02:00 PM
Don't forget, due to the altitude you'll lose about 3 psi of boost (unless you have a boost controller and adjust it to compensate I guess), so the octane requirements won't be quite as high.

dohcvtec
10-20-2005, 02:03 PM
Tam,
I sent you a PM about when we can meet tonight. I'll try to stuff as many cans as I can into my car so others can use them too.

earlyapex
10-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Don't forget, due to the altitude you'll lose about 3 psi of boost (unless you have a boost controller and adjust it to compensate I guess), so the octane requirements won't be quite as high.

But the turbo still spins at whatever you have it set at. Still just as hot air.

vtluu
10-20-2005, 02:10 PM
But the turbo still spins at whatever you have it set at. Still just as hot air.
After the air goes through the turbo, it'll go through the IC which will be a lot cooler than your typical summer day at TH. So by the time it gets to the intake manifold I don't think it'll be much different temperature-wise. The pressure will be lower so less octane will be needed to prevent detonation.

earlyapex
10-20-2005, 02:32 PM
Tam, thanks for explaining to me how a intercooled turbo system works!

:roll:

Do you also think it doesn't matter if a open filter gets heat soaked because we have an intercooler?

methods4
10-20-2005, 02:34 PM
Round 1, Fight!

vtluu
10-20-2005, 02:36 PM
http://www.solo2.org/ubb/graemlins/starwars.gif

crctslt
10-20-2005, 10:59 PM
Thx Tam I lolled
:lol:

earlyapex
10-21-2005, 12:46 AM
Alright, I thought I was going to have to duck out of this event at the last second because of a certain problem but now I am all systems go!

See you guys tomorrow night or at the track!

Bonster
10-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Alright, I thought I was going to have to duck out of this event at the last second because of a certain problem but now I am all systems go!

***Damn . . . there goes my plans to make fun of you all weekend and make bogus claims that my car can go faster than your car. ;) Glad you can make it, Bryan.

BW

dohcvtec
10-21-2005, 08:44 AM

See you guys tomorrow night or at the track!
I got your IM last night saying you weren't going to make it. I wanted to e-bitch slap you. 8) I told you working that corner would do something for you eventually.

Bonster
10-21-2005, 08:59 AM
I told you working that corner would do something for you eventually.

***Yeah, every quarter helps, you know. :lol:

BW

vtluu
10-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Hmm. The 76 station that has race gas closes at 5:30 (wtf?) and is open only from 8-2 on Saturday and Sunday (wtf?). :?

earlyapex
10-21-2005, 11:01 AM
Hmm. The 76 station that has race gas closes at 5:30 (wtf?) and is open only from 8-2 on Saturday and Sunday (wtf?). :?

Better start driving now sucka! :D

vtluu
10-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Heh. I can fill up my gas cans at the 76 in Redwood City nearby, though I had been hoping to avoid driving all the way up to Tahoe with 3 5-gallon gas cans bouncing around in the back seat area (my trunk is full of tires). Guess that's what I'll have to do though.

According to the schedule in the handbook, there should be enough time for Group A people to drive all the way back to Reno to get gas during the lunch break... but you'd have to get at least 16 gallons of race fuel before you get a net savings due to the gas you'll burn up on the 80 miles to the gas station and back. Not to mention the hassle of it all. Aargh!

Bonster
10-21-2005, 11:16 AM

***Well, if it helps any, we have one hour lunches both days. I'll be there around three today, but don't know if I'll have enough time to get to that station, especially since I got so much junk to do. So my suggestion would be to fill up in town and go in at lunchtime? Or you know . . . pay seven bucks and support their children's college fund. ;) Sorry that this place is still in the dark ages. Surely, it'll get better with time.

BW

Bonster
10-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Okay guys . . . I'm taking off now (it's about 12:30 PM). I probably won't be able to hear my cell phone in the racecar, but I'll try to remember to check it once in a while. That number is 916-320-4020. I am going to try to get to the track by 3PM. I've got oil to change once there, and maybe even bleed my brakes. So I'll probably be there until around 5PM at the latest. I'll go into town and get some fuel, but it won't be the high test stuff. If anyone wants to 'car pool' call me. Also, if you show up while I'm there, we might be able to coax the track folks into letting us drop off some of our stuff in the trailer tonight so that things go easier tomorrow. Also, if you catch me today at the track, we can get the driver's packets out of the way. Don't forget -- DRIVERS MEETING IS AT 8:20 AM -- DON'T BE LATE! See you soon!!!

BW