PDA

View Full Version : launching

ApexSilverMR
10-16-2005, 08:59 PM
i was just wondering on how people launch their cars, and whats the best way to launch.

missred
10-16-2005, 09:06 PM
I push this little button on my steering column, as i do that my jet propulsion pack comes out of my trunk and im gone :lol: :lol: works everytime man :lol: :lol: J/K man I actually have not launch my car yet , kinda hard to believe huh :D

EVO GRIM
10-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Well from watchin Navid at the auto x at marina he reved the car pretty good, like to 6000-6500. Let it slip just to get the car moving, then let her rip. He was doing 4 wheel spin off the start. I've never had the balls to launch like that. But a clutch is prob. a write off for him.

Cameron@xperformance
10-16-2005, 10:12 PM
Well from watchin Navid at the auto x at marina he reved the car pretty good, like to 6000-6500. Let it slip just to get the car moving, then let her rip. He was doing 4 wheel spin off the start. I've never had the balls to launch like that. But a clutch is prob. a write off for him.
a write off?? if you want to see some real launches, come to the prosolo next year

ApexSilverMR
10-17-2005, 07:09 PM

i have an 05 MR with the rev limiter, anybody launch their 05s?

Navid@xperformance
10-19-2005, 08:31 AM

There are 2 ways to approach the clutch problem. You can either prepare or repair. The first thing I installed on the car was an Exedy twin disk clutch. 4 Prosolos and numerous autox and track days and the clutch is as solid as the first day. That clutch is expensive (~$1300), but given the labor involved in changing the clutch, if it saves you one repair, it pays for itself.

On the '05 and up, there is a rev limiter at 5000 RPM when the clutch is depressed. You can reach under the dash and disconnect the clutch sensor wire and that problem is solved. You need different RPM's for launching depending on the surface conditions and the altitude. At Wendover Utah, I was launching the car at the rev limitter because of the altitude and high grip levels.

--Navid

chrisw
10-19-2005, 08:51 AM

I don't launch quite as hard as Navid does :shock:, but still launch pretty hard.

I launch between 4000-4500 and slip the clutch through first gear to keep the shock off the driveline. Both me and my co-driver did this all season on a ACT clutch with fyldenza (butchered spelling) flywheel

The clutch is getting a little tempermental when cold, but ACT clutchs are known to do that.

I treat the clutch for what it is, a wear item. I would rather break the clutch than something more expensive in the driveline.

Navid@xperformance
10-19-2005, 09:47 AM
I treat the clutch for what it is, a wear item. I would rather break the clutch than something more expensive in the driveline.

Yeah, but it's a wear item you can not change on track as you would rotors, pads and tires.

--Navid

vtluu
10-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Yeah, but it's a wear item you can not change on track as you would rotors, pads and tires.
Depends how motivated and well-funded (and staffed) you are. I'm reminded of the Top Gear segment where they decided to see who would take less time, a group of women preparing for a night out or a team of Ford WRC mechanics changing most of the suspension and driveline components in the Ford Focus works rally car. :lol:

chrisw
10-19-2005, 01:40 PM

--Navid

very true.. unless you have a WRC rally team to back you up.. :lol:

evoredy
02-11-2006, 04:25 AM
i was just wondering on how people launch their cars, and whats the best way to launch.

1. get an ACT clutch or equiv.

2. remove the the clutch fluid restriction unit and replace with an ss line

3. drive car. stop at line.

4. hold rpms at what you want to launch at/clutch engaged/first gear (typically 4.5-5K/5-7K depending on meats for a 4 wheel burn out)

5. release clutch in one quick move while rationally applying throttle (rational with clutch going up/i dont know i'm tired/DO IT VERY VERY FAST)

6. dont forget to shift into second.

7. works every time. :wink:

Matz
02-11-2006, 08:47 AM
I launch my Evo at 900 RPM. Works great for me. I'm on the stock clutch after 22k+ miles.

hehe.. sorry, it's early and my son woke me up.

MarkSAE
02-11-2006, 09:07 AM
The clutch is the "fuse" between the engine and driveline. My P2R sets the secondary rev limit to 5.5k, so I just ride the limiter and slip the clutch to get the car moving. The stock clutch is kinda wimpy though as it doesn't bite very hard.

I have about 35 launches on my stock clutch so far. All w/ the clutch restrictor out. And my clutch feels fine.. not even close to worn. If you want your clutch to last, yank that restrictor out and train your left foot to do the modulation.

AV8NDOC
04-02-2006, 09:10 AM
what's the clutch 'restrictor'? is this a nubbin in the stock clutch line? I haven't heard of it before.

and isn't the Exedy twin disk clutch nearly indestructable?

thanks

nebolic
04-02-2006, 10:34 AM
what's the clutch 'restrictor'? is this a nubbin in the stock clutch line? I haven't heard of it before.

and isn't the Exedy twin disk clutch nearly indestructable?

thanks

the clutch can be indestructible but your drivetain isn't.

:lol:

nebo

Deviousone209
02-18-2007, 07:02 PM
well i happen to have a stage 2 shep racing tc and an act stage 2 clutch..i just peg it to about 6800 and slightly dump the cluth..and vualla..4 wheel burn out and perfect launch.

Endoe
02-21-2007, 12:44 AM
how much was that stage 2 shep racing transfer case?....

joshesh
02-21-2007, 09:35 AM
"what's the clutch 'restrictor'? is this a nubbin in the stock clutch line? I haven't heard of it before."
+1 can anyone explain what the restrictor is?

MarkSAE
02-21-2007, 10:56 AM
"what's the clutch 'restrictor'? is this a nubbin in the stock clutch line? I haven't heard of it before."
+1 can anyone explain what the restrictor is?

Search for this topic. It's been covered many times. You can search for posts by me here and on evom. It feels like I've written like 20 posts on it.

MarkSAE
02-21-2007, 11:02 AM
well i happen to have a stage 2 shep racing tc and an act stage 2 clutch..i just peg it to about 6800 and slightly dump the cluth..and vualla..4 wheel burn out and perfect launch.

Just because you've upgraded over stock doesn't mean your drivetrain is indestructible. There are more effective ways of launching other than a redline clutch drop. Watch videos of shep or the AMS drag cars and you'll see they don't just pop the clutch. If you keep launching using your technique, you're gonna break more expensive driveline parts.

Deviousone209
02-23-2007, 02:36 PM
well i dont dump it...i know what happens..thats why im on clutch #4...i drag race alot and riding the clutch is my technique. and by the way the tc was $2500. and cluth was $500

PATRICK
08-09-2007, 09:49 AM
High HP + High RPM clutch dumps usually = :shock:.......... :x......... :(

Especially on independant suspensions and then tack on the fact that we basically have a front and rear system to worry about plus a transfer case......

It was the same thing coming from 2 IRS Cobra w/ over 550 WHP.

Can't launch them like old school solid axle cars w/ slicks!

whtrice
08-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Ohh So true......

High HP + High RPM clutch dumps usually = :shock:.......... :x......... :(

Can't launch them like old school solid axle cars w/ slicks!

esco
08-10-2007, 12:04 AM
you can really only get away with one or 2 6k launches if you have some meat on your clutch, but dont do them in succesion, I can promise you if you do you will see your rpms/boost rise as you creep forward. :(

even if you put a act/exedy clutch in your tcase most likely will be the next to go. more so in 03's.

UCB
08-10-2007, 01:10 PM
dunno..I did like 9 5500 clutch drops just fine at the track

stockIX
08-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Dunno what's easier but instead of pulling the clutch sensor line you can easily up the launch rpms in Ecuflash :) Need to figure out how to get that restrictor thing removed.

evo84life
08-12-2007, 09:47 PM
i used to launched my car..around 5kpedaling it...then let it rip

UCB
08-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Dunno what's easier but instead of pulling the clutch sensor line you can easily up the launch rpms in Ecuflash :) Need to figure out how to get that restrictor thing removed.

just get a SS clutch line..although im not sure if the abuse is worth a few thousands off your 60ft time

PATRICK
08-23-2007, 09:38 AM
dunno..I did like 9 5500 clutch drops just fine at the track

.....and how were your 60 ft times?

Any of you guys ever actually try different techniques at the track to see what works best because everytime at the track will be a different story......

UCB
09-02-2007, 07:44 PM
lol they sucked, but my tire pressure was way to low so I was bogging. My friend did the same thing and was cutting 1.7/1.8s all day but his tires were much less sticky than mine

dsmdeliverybo
12-06-2007, 02:03 PM
On the '05 and up, there is a rev limiter at 5000 RPM when the clutch is depressed.

I did not know that! haha thats cool, ive never really tryed to launch my car until i get it tuned but that makes me smile :D

PANGES
12-07-2007, 03:34 PM
All Evo's have the stationary rev limiter. IIRC, on the 03/04 Evo's, they're just set really high so it's like you dont have one, but if you have ecuFlash, you can just set it so it works.

joshesh
12-07-2007, 07:40 PM
^Ah i c, that is why Matz stock rom has the stationary rev limiter so high - i thought he messed with the map but it seems that feature was not set up like the 9's map.

UCB
12-08-2007, 01:45 AM
yeah, but he is tuned so you'd think they would lower it to where its useful :P

joshesh
12-08-2007, 08:44 AM
^Yeah, but i am talking about the stock rom he has in his sig that anyone can download - not the tuned map he is currently running. I bet his tuned map has it moved to a useful rpm.

UCB
12-08-2007, 04:58 PM
ahh yes indeed, mistu did that they when they grew tired of ppl trying to get warranty work on clutches and driveline components doing 7k clutch dumps :P

earlyapex aka jack ass
12-08-2007, 05:02 PM
yeah, but he is tuned so you'd think they would lower it to where its useful :P

If requested, it is done. Usually I ask, some people don't use it and don't care, so they say don't even bother.

Stock 03-04 maps have it set to 7969

UCB
12-08-2007, 05:05 PM
so you hit the primary rev limiter before the stationary one? :lol:

earlyapex aka jack ass
12-08-2007, 05:07 PM

Indeed. Launching at 7606 ftw

player67
12-09-2007, 07:35 PM

How else are ya gonna get those 255 spinning like donuts

DirectorSe7en
12-09-2007, 08:10 PM

I'll be damned if I ever try that :?

whtrice
12-10-2007, 06:40 AM
Good Luck with that...... :lol:

I'll be damned if I ever try that :?

frKENm3
12-18-2007, 11:00 PM
good info

Matz
12-19-2007, 12:01 AM
^Yeah, but i am talking about the stock rom he has in his sig that anyone can download - not the tuned map he is currently running. I bet his tuned map has it moved to a useful rpm.

Yeah, Bryan didn't set my rev limiter because he knows I don't launch. But I have it set now because you never know when you can benefit from it at the autox events... :) I sort of launched a couple of events ago, but didn't have the balls to do it at 5400RPM.

UCB
12-19-2007, 12:16 AM
at the last GGLC event they said launching was good for .4 seconds since there wasn't any hard turn right out of the gates. On the airport tarmac and auto-x tire pressures, its not as dangerous to the drive train, all 4 were breaking loose for me (wheel spin=good, bog=driveline shock)

Matz
12-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Yes, I measured it at about 0.43 secs from MaxQData.

UCB
12-19-2007, 12:41 AM
1.8 vs 2.2 60ft time :P

Matz
12-19-2007, 01:02 AM
1.8 vs 2.2 60ft time :P

:) So the data checks out vs. the drag strip sensors... sweet!

Positron
12-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Anyone have a good tip on warming up the tires or spinning them up safely before a drag 1/4 run?

joshesh
12-23-2007, 09:58 PM
just do a launch and try to break traction, maybe overinflate your tires a bit and 2-step it?

whtrice
12-23-2007, 10:18 PM
I usually don't spin them during warmer summer months. Since track temps are alot colder you may have to in order to get descent 60 ft times. Just slowly roll through the water and once the rear tires clear the water box let he rip up to the staging lights. Course playing with tire pressures helps alot too. During summer 29psi (F) and 29psi (R) worked well most the times on stock Advans.

Anyone have a good tip on warming up the tires or spinning them up safely before a drag 1/4 run?

xBobbyMRx
12-26-2007, 11:43 PM
I thought its better to avoid the water box all together if you have AWD...?

whtrice
12-27-2007, 09:03 AM
This is true...If track temp is cold it does help. Summer time I drive around it.

I thought its better to avoid the water box all together if you have AWD...?

si00dcracer
01-21-2009, 02:36 PM
sorry guy, I prolly missed it, but can somebody tell me the best rpm range in launching the X??

MeeH LuCky IX
01-21-2009, 06:26 PM
sorry guy, I prolly missed it, but can somebody tell me the best rpm range in launching the X??

You should have a 2step also in the X's clutch in put it in gear floor the gas let it build boost slip the clutch till you feel it grab and let her rip. The best rpm range in launching depends on multiple things mods power band tires ect. it's all about trial and error and see what works for you. Happy LaunchING btw NEVER SIDESTEP IT : )

Audi2ptzero
03-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Why never side step or AKA clutch dump? I do it all the time in my Audi A4(8 years now) and did it in an EVO8 to win the drag racing part of the Ultimate Street Car Challenge in 2008. That EVO8 is owned by Smogrunner.

MeeH LuCky IX
03-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Hey are you Mike Hood? If so it's Chris with the Silver Evo you meet at CMI. Most Evo owners will tell you to never side step the launch because it cause's massive drivetrain shock and the outcome is usually a broken t-case, tranny, or rear diff but I guess it really depends on your setup and if the area's of concern i mentioned are beefed up or just stock. Slipping the clutch will be much easier on the drivetrain on the Evo alot of people have damage expensive parts by making a mistake and letting the clutch go a little to quick.

Audi2ptzero
03-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Hey are you Mike Hood? If so it's Chris with the Silver Evo you meet at CMI. Most Evo owners will tell you to never side step the launch because it cause's massive drivetrain shock and the outcome is usually a broken t-case, tranny, or rear diff but I guess it really depends on your setup and if the area's of concern i mentioned are beefed up or just stock. Slipping the clutch will be much easier on the drivetrain on the Evo alot of people have damage expensive parts by making a mistake and letting the clutch go a little to quick.

yeah thats me. Vid from this weeknd (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/CMI-runs_640265.htm)
http://jsjbrothers.com/albums/album203/IMG_4819_Custom.jpg

Yeah you dont want to side step the clutch from the floor. Best to bring the clutch pedal up so that its just below the friction point, this way there is less shock when releasing the clutch pedal really quick since there is very little movement of the pressure plate/disk as the clutch is applied. If it is done this way there shouldn't be any problems and its better then slipping the clutch which basically just overheats the disk/PP/flywheel which in the end just causes more wear.

Here is the video (http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/videos/57/videos/6203520/index.html) from the 08 USCC event for Tom's EVO8. In that video they show me doing the drag racing in his car, I launched his car just like I launch all the other AWD cars I drag race and thats doing WOT clutch dumps. Funny thing is that was the first time I had driven Tom's car since it was running a stock turbo which was around 2005-2006 IIRC. Was even able to chirp 3rd gear on my last run which was the winning run.

It was nice meeting you Chris. Did you get your clutch figured out and make any runs on Sunday?

BTW any chance you might want to run in an AWD heads up class that we are trying to put together with Tony for his CMI events?

MeeH LuCky IX
03-11-2009, 09:47 AM
It was nice meeting you to Mike, we did figure it out but it wasn't something we could fix at the track the line to the Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing was cut by the flywheel and was leaking fluid causing us to loose all clutch pressure the fix should be easy so we'll be up and running in no time.

I would love to run in the AWD heads up class count me in.

Actually the way you mention you launch is the exact same way I do it hehe I also bring it up to the fricton point and then I let it rip or sometimes I might slip it a very tiny bit.

BTW what kinda tires where you using last Sunday?

Audi2ptzero
03-11-2009, 10:23 AM
It was nice meeting you to Mike, we did figure it out but it wasn't something we could fix at the track the line to the Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing was cut by the flywheel and was leaking fluid causing us to loose all clutch pressure the fix should be easy so we'll be up and running in no time.

I would love to run in the AWD heads up class count me in.

Actually the way you mention you launch is the exact same way I do it hehe I also bring it up to the fricton point and then I let it rip or sometimes I might slip it a very tiny bit.

BTW what kinda tires where you using last Sunday?

Do you slip the clutch just to make sure the rpms stay up or if you launched too low of an rpm?

Only thing I ever do is lift off the throttle quickly(back pedal) and then back on the throttle when the tires spin too much on the launch.

Tires are 225/45/17 BFG drag radials. They worked fine when I was making 570whp(dynojet) with my damaged GT35r pushing 32-34psi, was able to pull mid 1.5's all the time at Sac and even at Fontana where I ran 10.55. But now that I am making way more hp/tq with a good GT35r pushing 37psi they wont hold the launch which is why I was only pulling 1.6's at CMI this weekend. This weekend is the very first time I was able to haze the tires in 2nd gear.

Glad to hear you were able to figure out the issue. Would have love to see your car run on sunday.

MeeH LuCky IX
03-11-2009, 12:09 PM
I was always told to slightly slip the clutch on the launch to protect the drivitrain I must have 150+ launches on the Evo stock 6 speed and stock t-case also I have much better luck by slipping it just a a tad off the line, I tend to bog out really bad if I release the clutch just a hair to fast.

Audi2ptzero
03-11-2009, 01:31 PM
I was always told to slightly slip the clutch on the launch to protect the drivitrain I must have 150+ launches on the Evo stock 6 speed and stock t-case also I have much better luck by slipping it just a a tad off the line, I tend to bog out really bad if I release the clutch just a hair to fast.

Yes thats a way you can soften the launch and protect the drivetrain. But that means it just puts more wear on the clutch.

You can actually do the same thing by running more air in the tires since that reduces traction and load on the driveline.

Tom hasn't had any issues with his 2003 EVO8 transmission even with me dropping the clutch at the track.

MeeH LuCky IX
03-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Yes thats true it will do more harm to the clutch but on the flipside produces less strain to the drivetrain

Next time out I will be launching slighlty more agressively and we'll see how she does's i'll be testing out the fine line of a quick slip take off with just enough slip to not hurt anything but still get outa the hole quickly we'll see how it go's remember I'm still running street tires Dunlop Direzza Star Spec's down to 24psi of pressure so we'll see what kinda 60ft's I can cut hoping for the best.

sho_evo_209
05-05-2009, 09:30 PM
well for me i've found that reving my ca to 6200-6600 but keeping that fluttering like fluttering that gas without hitting the rev limiter (or two step). but at the same time keeping the clutch held back just enough to where it wants to release and then just letting it go doesnt hurt the clutch as much and also get really good launches

heres a vid of me launching my car jus so u know i am the silver evo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27-mOahNQ9U

RREVOVIII
05-05-2009, 10:02 PM
well for me i've found that reving my ca to 6200-6600 but keeping that fluttering like fluttering that gas without hitting the rev limiter (or two step). but at the same time keeping the clutch held back just enough to where it wants to release and then just letting it go doesnt hurt the clutch as much and also get really good launches

heres a vid of me launching my car jus so u know i am the silver evo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27-mOahNQ9U

thats a perfect launch right there.

PAT@FFTEC
05-06-2009, 08:39 AM
This is how i launch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsQ5cAsy6bc&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWWQ1-u8TOM&feature=channel_page

:icon_drivingskid: :icon_drivingskid: :icon_drivingskid: :icon_drivingskid: :icon_drivingskid: :icon_drivingskid:

sho_evo_209
05-06-2009, 12:55 PM
thats a perfect launch right there.
thanks bro it did take me a while and a clucth to learn how to launch it like that but in the end it helps me with the launches and saves my clutch

Audi2ptzero
05-06-2009, 03:21 PM
This is how i launch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsQ5cAsy6bc&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWWQ1-u8TOM&feature=channel_page

:icon_drivingskid: :icon_drivingskid: :icon_drivingskid: :icon_drivingskid: :icon_drivingskid: :icon_drivingskid:

"You" dont launch, you just 2 step the car. :nono:LOL
Just giving you a hard time Pat

"Driver" launching mod http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Audi-A4-running-10s_163726.htm

To make my post EVO related, here is a video with a few runs of me launching a EVO8 at Fontana with the 2step turned off.. http://www.modified.com/videos/57/videos/6203520/index.html

Hey Pat I went to the track last weekend, launched so hard my fuel relay shut off causing the motor to stop running by the time I went to shift into 2nd gear. Got out of the car and nearly walked right out of my shoes the track was so sticky from the VHT.

PAT@FFTEC
05-07-2009, 10:32 AM

"You" dont launch, you just 2 step the car. :nono:LOL
Just giving you a hard time Pat

"Driver" launching mod http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Audi-A4-running-10s_163726.htm

To make my post EVO related, here is a video with a few runs of me launching a EVO8 at Fontana with the 2step turned off.. http://www.modified.com/videos/57/videos/6203520/index.html

Hey Pat I went to the track last weekend, launched so hard my fuel relay shut off causing the motor to stop running by the time I went to shift into 2nd gear. Got out of the car and nearly walked right out of my shoes the track was so sticky from the VHT.
Call it what you want but i call it LAUNCHING as the OP asked the question above.

The 2 step is basically a "rev-limiter" and evo's even came with "launch limiters" for what ever reason the manufacturer decided.

Why wouldn't i put to use the controls allowed by the aem when i payed good money for it, and when it produces proven/consistant results :huh:

Do you not say that a Pro-Stock car "LAUNCHES" when they sit on a rev-limiter and get the car moving from a dead stop :nono:

I'm not here to argue but it sounds like you think i'm giving out wrong information or something.

I'm glad to hear your car is back out and running i guess you found a trany pretty quick.....stick with what work best for you and your car and i will do the same with mine :icon_drivingskid:

I know you're just messing around so don't take this the wrong way either :buds:

Audi2ptzero
05-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Pat i was giving you a hard time, I know what a 2 step is seeing that my stand alone comes with it. I used to use it 2 years ago but I am able to launch just as hard without it and without putting as much stress on the tranmission.

Video a few years old of me launching with anti-lag at Sac Raceway http://centralvalleyspeed.com/forum/videos/mike_Audi_A4_11.4_12x_web.wmv

BTW it isnt exactly consistant, if the track surface changes it will change how effective the 2 step works. Not something you can change on the fly as you are staging. So if the conditions change so that there is even more traction you end up bogging the car since the rpms/power wont be enough to get the car out of the hole with a little tire spin. This would mean having to slip the clutch and there is nothing like bogging a launch when winning the race is on the line. Most of the time the 2 step is mainly used to help the reaction time when launching during racing, that is why the prostock cars use it. It isn't like they need to spool up a turbo seeing that they are NA. Mitsubishi added the feature to actually keep people from being able to rev the car beyond 5k rpm while trying to launch it, they did this because they were fully against people racing the cars and even trying to black list people from warranty coverage. People just found a way around it and even being able to change what rpm they could set it at. So it wasn't exactly added by Mitsu as a "2 step" feature for launching the car.

PAT@FFTEC
05-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Pat i was giving you a hard time, I know what a 2 step is seeing that my stand alone comes with it. I used to use it 2 years ago but I am able to launch just as hard without it and without putting as much stress on the tranmission.

Video a few years old of me launching with anti-lag at Sac Raceway http://centralvalleyspeed.com/forum/videos/mike_Audi_A4_11.4_12x_web.wmv

BTW it isnt exactly consistant, if the track surface changes it will change how effective the 2 step works. Not something you can change on the fly as you are staging. So if the conditions change so that there is even more traction you end up bogging the car since the rpms/power wont be enough to get the car out of the hole with a little tire spin. This would mean having to slip the clutch and there is nothing like bogging a launch when winning the race is on the line. Most of the time the 2 step is mainly used to help the reaction time when launching during racing, that is why the prostock cars use it. It isn't like they need to spool up a turbo seeing that they are NA.
Mike i know you didn't mean anything by it :icon_smile_poke: no worries i don't take things too serious but i don't know why i get this wierd feeling from some of the comments you post(i'll just leave it at that)?

Let's not make this a pissing match as i have GREAT respect for you and your car and although i'm not the end-all-be-all drag racer i do understand my limitations but also can "read between the lines".

So back OT were you able to get any info incrementally on that last outting or did the car just shut off each time due to the hard launch(es)?

Got any new videos of it?

Audi2ptzero
05-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Mike i know you didn't mean anything by it :icon_smile_poke: no worries i don't take things too serious but i don't know why i get this wierd feeling from some of the comments you post(i'll just leave it at that)?

Let's not make this a pissing match as i have GREAT respect for you and your car and although i'm not the end-all-be-all drag racer i do understand my limitations but also can "read between the lines".

So back OT were you able to get any info incrementally on that last outting or did the car just shut off each time due to the hard launch(es)?

Got any new videos of it?

No I wasn't. The car cut out on the 2nd run during the launch, the 1st run was just a shake down and the car was still breaking up at full boost. I did get a AFR log during that run and the car was still running a bit rich. I did end up turning the fuel pressure down seeing that it was way too high at nearly 70psi(with the vac line on), I also turned down the boost. The car felt very strong during the launch even with the boost turned down and I did not feel it it break-up at the top so it might have been good for the rest of the run but hard to say since 1st gear doesnt have as much load as 3rd-4th gear which is where the AFR will get a bit richer.

I need to get the car back on a dyno and see if the issue goes away if I get the AFR down to 12:1. I think mid 11's might just be too rich for 110 octane and pushing 37psi. I didn't have this issue before upgrading the pumps and I was pushing 37psi hitting 12.5-12.7:1 going lean because the pressure was dropping quickly.

I was along at the track so I wasnt able to get any video of my runs. Plus I was too busy trying to deal with the car issue so I didnt have time to setup the camera inside the car.

Hey BTW the 2 smiley faces you post just looks like 1 is pulling the other ones finger. LOL My other post was just all in fun, whats the point of being serious all the time and drag racing is just something l have fun doing.

krisdlm
05-13-2009, 07:49 PM
how do you get that "thunk" from the rear diff? Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't, but when I do I feel the car is going faster. Not that the 'thunk' is a good thing, but do you guys release the clutch fully when shifting from 1st to 2nd? Trying to get my 1st to 2nd gear pulls better

RREVOVIII
05-13-2009, 08:23 PM
how do you get that "thunk" from the rear diff? Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't, but when I do I feel the car is going faster. Not that the 'thunk' is a good thing, but do you guys release the clutch fully when shifting from 1st to 2nd? Trying to get my 1st to 2nd gear pulls betteri get that sound too when i shift early than what i should be....

PAT@FFTEC
05-14-2009, 09:46 AM
how do you get that "thunk" from the rear diff? Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't, but when I do I feel the car is going faster. Not that the 'thunk' is a good thing, but do you guys release the clutch fully when shifting from 1st to 2nd? Trying to get my 1st to 2nd gear pulls better

i get that sound too when i shift early than what i should be....
The clunk/thud you hear is often from drivetrain slack and/or the diff housing moving on shifts......this is common also in cars like the 03/04 Mustang Cobras w/ IRS.

It is common for people to switch to an upgraded diff housing bushing to eliminate this but it does come with some added noise/vibration as things become more rigid.