PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas! Thunderhill Dec. 12th only $140 (maybe $10

Bonster
10-17-2005, 07:13 AM
Thunderhill just gave T.E.A.M. Racing a deal that we couldn't pass up. We have an opportunity, on December 12th, to go to the track for as little as a hundred bucks! For now we're charging $140 in case we don't get 45 drivers, but if we do, we'll be sending out rebate checks (or you can log a credit torward a future event) for 40 bucks -- making the event only a HUNDRED BUCKS!

This event will of course include all the usual perks . . . catered lunches, the bottled waters, the Gatorades, snacks, instruction, and at least two hours of track time! We do however need to get the deposit in to the track right away to make sure somebody else doesn't come along and "steal" it . . . of course, the track will not do that without warning me first . . . but we'll need to submit about $2k asap to get the ball rolling.

I hope you can make it!!! Details on T.E.A.M.'s events are at http://www.team-racing.org

BW

PS -- sorry that I didn't post this a lot sooner . . . we've been taking signups for about two weeks now . . . we've already got 17 drivers!!!

Evo442
10-17-2005, 08:09 AM
damn! working that day

dohcvtec
10-17-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm 80% committed to doing this. :) I have a few other Honda guys that will be signing up for this also. Can't beat $100, what a smokin deal!

earlyapex
10-17-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm about 80% as well, great deal.

Stormtrooper
10-17-2005, 02:39 PM
wow thats a great deal....... looks like i'll be in for this one =D

LEVIII
10-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Im about 64 1/2% on this. My brother may bring out his Honda also.

SJCoruja
10-17-2005, 04:24 PM
I put in for the day off...too good a deal to pass up. ;)

Bonster
10-17-2005, 06:47 PM
damn! working that day

***Call in sick . . . you know . . . sick of not enough track time. Between us and TMR, and probably more groups will be showing up soon, you can get a LOT of track time this December for cheap!

BW

Evo442
10-17-2005, 06:52 PM
damn! working that day

***Call in sick . . . you know . . . sick of not enough track time. Between us and TMR, and probably more groups will be showing up soon, you can get a LOT of track time this December for cheap!

BW

Wouldn't be quite right w/ what I do. I do think I'll be seeing you after thanksgiving tho'. can I get the same price for that track day?? :lol:

Bonster
10-17-2005, 06:53 PM
The $100 deal is as soon as we get 45 drivers . . . and like I said, we are nearly half way there already! We will start giving out disounts (in the form of rebate checks or credits) once we get 32 drivers. We should really try hard to get 45, though, so that our sponsor, www.adrenalineracing.com will find it worth their while to donate some moolah to cover our lunches and snacks, beverages, etc.. I KNOW we'll have a full house. I have a feeling that this is going to fill very soon . . . sooner than our November event, even. So I'd put in asap if I were you all . . . if we get the 45 before the date of the event, we'll send you that rebate check and then you'll have some gas money! And a cheap track day!!!

NOTE: Thunderhill gave us a special discounted price on the track rental itself. The same ambulance, tow truck, corner workers, lunches, beverages, instruction -- all of the regular expected high quality factors that go into a TEAM day will still be there. We just figured we'd pass on the great deal to you all. This may be a once in a lifetime deal. I know I'm likin' it . . . I LOVE cheap track days!!! :D

BW

Bonster
10-17-2005, 07:01 PM
I do think I'll be seeing you after thanksgiving tho'. can I get the same price for that track day?? :lol:

***Shoot, I wish. We'd be packed overnight if I did that. Believe me, though, I really wish I could. Dang inflation!!! I am betting that track prices are going to sky rocket next year . . . sh#t, I hope not. But with everything going on this year with the natural gas problems, etc., I'm sure everything (except our wages) is about to boot us in the butt. That's kinda why I'm doing everything I can to get us out for a few last hoorahs at lower prices while we still can. I'm SCARED of next year. Lol.

See you all soon!!! :)

BW

Stormtrooper
10-18-2005, 12:03 PM
sending in my application today =D

Bonster
10-18-2005, 01:20 PM
sending in my application today =D

***Cool . . . I think this is going to fill very early. BTW -- it never occurred to me that Storm Troopers ever went potty. I suppose now you're going to tell me that Darth Vader and C3P0 and R2D2 use the facilities as well? Lol, see you in December, if not sooner! :D

BW

DB8GSR
10-20-2005, 05:12 AM
Great deal. I'll just have to find some time to mail in the check and app today.

Stormtrooper
10-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Bonster, look for a 2 checks and two apps in the mail in the same envelope =D

-Jeff

Bonster
10-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Bonster, look for a 2 checks and two apps in the mail in the same envelope =D

-Jeff

***Kewl . . . I will of course send out a confirmation email to you and whoever the other ap belongs to. Have you guys seen the driver list for this thing?!? www.onemain.com/~bonster/december.html It's filling up quick. I wish all events filled up this quick . . . then again, we don't usually get to run this cheap. :)

BW

dohcvtec
10-20-2005, 11:41 AM
A whole lotta miata's :lol:

Bonster
10-20-2005, 11:54 AM
A whole lotta miata's :lol:

***Yeah, they're small, so we can get 1.5 Miatas on the track as opposed to one Evo. ;) Nah, actually, it should be a lot of fun. There should be several racecars there, as the season will be long over by then and the testing and tuning process will again begin. But this isn't just for Miatas . . . the more the merrier! :)

BW

Bonster
10-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Just got three more entries today . . . a Subie, an Evo, and of course, another one of those pesky little Miatas. Keep an eye on that drivers list if you plan to attend . . . it really is going fast!

BW

Bernardio
10-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Hey Bonnie,
My reg and check are in the mail for group C! First Track day for me :oops:

Bernard

dohcvtec
10-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Hey Bonnie,

Bernard
Prepare for the most expensive addiction in your life! :)

earlyapex
10-24-2005, 03:08 PM
Just signed up for Group A.

Bonnie, are we running CCW or CW and bypass or no bypass?

Bonster
10-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Hey Bonnie,

Bernard

***Hey, Bernard! Got your Paypal payment . . . sorry for the late reply, but I have been out of town (and I don't have a lap top, lol). As soon as I receive your registraion, I'll send you a confirmation email. Or did you want me to just fill a form out for you? Let me know . . . it's very cool that you are running your first track day in December . . . if it's wet, you will learn way more than if it were dry, and you won't kill brakes and tires to do it. You'll see what I mean. But knowing my luck, it'll be 80 degrees F and sunny and bright. ;) Then again, that's not such a bad thing, is it?

See you soon!!!

BW

Bonster
10-24-2005, 07:59 PM

***Hey Bryan (right??? Lol!) . . . we will be running the traditional CCW configuration using the "Eagle's Nest" (no bypass). I'm glad to see you joining us again! :D

And hey, Evo folks . . . at least the run=off at T'hill isn't so rocky. ROFL. ;)

BW

earlyapex
10-24-2005, 08:02 PM

***Hey Bryan (right??? Lol!) . . . we will be running the traditional CCW configuration using the "Eagle's Nest" (no bypass). I'm glad to see you joining us again! :D

And hey, Evo folks . . . at least the run=off at T'hill isn't so rocky. ROFL. ;)

BW

Hey now, I was the only evo to not go off track at reno. :D

Yup, it's Bryan, I told you I was going to go to your next events! I am trying to see if I can make the November one too.

Thanks again for the great event in Reno!

Bernardio
10-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Hey Bonni, I'm sending the registration form out tomorrow so you can have the form on file. If you're in a rush to get the list completed or if you're running out of space in group C, that would be great if you could reserve my spot by filling in the info. I'm hoping for sunshine that day, but if it does rain, it's good to know that I'll still be learning something. Either way I'm gonna have a ton of fun!
Bernard

dohcvtec
10-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Just signed up for this event. See you guys on the 12th!

AreSTG
10-25-2005, 11:23 AM
how late can I sign up for this? I dont get to Cali till like Nov. 15th. I won't know what my schedule and free time ar elike till i get there, but im hopeing i can go.

I'm assumeing the cut-off will be pretty soon though so preperations can be made

bdking57
10-25-2005, 01:31 PM
This would be my first track event If i signed up (although I have been autox all summer).. Is there gonna be a slow group I can drive with.. I would just want to chill out and get a feel for going around a road course..

Stormtrooper
10-25-2005, 03:30 PM
awesome... more evos out there =D

I'm in the same boat as brian, my first track day after lots of autox!

The only thing I'm nervous about is getting totally hooked on track days too.... i'm sure it gets very expensive......

-Jeff

dohcvtec
10-25-2005, 03:41 PM
awesome... more evos out there =D

I'm in the same boat as brian, my first track day after lots of autox!

The only thing I'm nervous about is getting totally hooked on track days too.... i'm sure it gets very expensive......

-Jeff
I'll be piloting my Honda though :P

Track days are VERY ADDICTIVE. Have you ever done crack or heroin? Its along those lines.
:)

earlyapex
10-25-2005, 04:09 PM
Welcome to the crack pipe. It's nice and cheap at first but once you get more and more addicted to going fast it starts getting really banky.

Reno weekend was $500 total for me. :shock:

http://www.paradigm-pubs.com/assets/images/ChadraTaihar.gif

methods4
10-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Pookie was addicted to crack/track events as well.

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/tony/forum/crackrock.bmp

edit: owned by hotlinking.

Richard EVO
10-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the crack pipe. It's nice and cheap at first but once you get more and more addicted to going fast it starts getting really banky.

Reno weekend was $500 total for me. :shock:

http://www.paradigm-pubs.com/assets/images/ChadraTaihar.gif

+1

I remember 2 years ago when I started tracking my 350Z. I had about $5K in mods when I started, and I thought that was a huge investment. I ran on street tires, street brake pads, and maybe even 91 octane (don't really remember). I went to Streets of Willow, which was like $100/day. It seemed like a reasonably priced hobby.

2 years, one totaled car, an EVO with a shid-load of $$$ mods, 45 track day fees in one year, an ocean of 100 octane gas, race pads, 5 sets of RA1s, etc. etc.

I'm addicted, and I'm going to the poorhouse with a smile on my face and my EVO in a power slide. :wink:

earlyapex
10-25-2005, 10:36 PM
2 years, one totaled car, an EVO with a shid-load of $$$ mods, 45 track day fees in one year, an ocean of 100 octane gas, race pads, 5 sets of RA1s, etc. etc.

Well at least we know the EVO can take the abuse. :)

leif
10-25-2005, 11:20 PM
hmm this would be fun.... but im afraid of rain...slick ra1s and rain cant be much fun.

earlyapex
10-25-2005, 11:22 PM
hmm this would be fun.... but im afraid of rain...slick ra1s and rain cant be much fun.

Just swap to street tires if it rains, that's what I will be doing. We can all be slow together. 8)

leif
10-26-2005, 01:41 AM

Just swap to street tires if it rains, that's what I will be doing. We can all be slow together. 8)

im fresh out of street tires. good thing im at school and don't drive the evo right now, my ra1s would be done a little sooner than i'd like.

what are you using as street tires?

earlyapex
10-26-2005, 10:55 AM
what are you using as street tires?

I'm a Toyo whore right now. Running the new Toyo Proxies T1R in 255/40/17 on my 17x9 5zigens since they came with the wheels when I bought them off Maldo.

They are "ok".

They are supposed to be great in the wet though, at least thats what the UK guys have been saying. Didn't skip a beat on the way to work this morning in the rain.

Stormtrooper
10-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Hey Bryan,

I'm assuming that my autox experience won't help much since this will be a whole new thing with double the speeds... do you think you can ride with me a few times and show me the ropes a bit?

I'm sure there will be instructors there and I'll of course welcome their help, but it'll be nice to have someone there who knows both thunderhill and the evo well.....

-Jeff

earlyapex
10-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Hey Bryan,

I'm assuming that my autox experience won't help much since this will be a whole new thing with double the speeds... do you think you can ride with me a few times and show me the ropes a bit?

I'm sure there will be instructors there and I'll of course welcome their help, but it'll be nice to have someone there who knows both thunderhill and the evo well.....

-Jeff

Your autox experience will help, but you have to adapt to the higher speed. In autox, everything happens ALOT faster, you turn in faster, the chassis dynamics change alot faster, etc. When I first started open tracking, my autox habits made me turn in way too early and my steering inputs where too fast, it actually made it a little scary because I was upsetting the chassis too much and at much higher speed than autox.

Open tracking is all about smoothness. If you go into it knowing the above, you will be fine.

I would be happy to ride along, and of course, you can ride along with me as well.

Boostd4
10-26-2005, 01:32 PM
This sounds like an awesome deal I'm in if there is still space.

DB8GSR
10-28-2005, 08:37 AM
so far, i'm the only evo on the B group. What are the chances of rain during that day?

earlyapex
10-28-2005, 10:26 AM
so far, i'm the only evo on the B group. What are the chances of rain during that day?

This was thunderhill when we went December 20th, 2003:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/albums/thunderhill_12_20_03/thill_12_20_03_01.jpg

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/albums/thunderhill_12_20_03/thill_12_20_03_02.jpg

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/albums/thunderhill_12_20_03/digital_shots/digital_shots07.jpg

Wet for half the day, dry for the other half. It was fun, and yes that's my old WRX. 8)

Bernardio
11-01-2005, 05:10 PM
time to show my racing noobie-ness..
Some quick questions:
1. Tech Inspection Sheet - can I do the inspection myself or do I need to go to a shop to have it done?
2. Exhaust dB limits - I have the HKS catback with a helix dp and an ultimate racing hi-flow cat. It really isn't that loud. Do I need a silencer for it at TH?
Thanks

earlyapex
11-01-2005, 05:18 PM
time to show my racing noobie-ness..
Some quick questions:
1. Tech Inspection Sheet - can I do the inspection myself or do I need to go to a shop to have it done?
2. Exhaust dB limits - I have the HKS catback with a helix dp and an ultimate racing hi-flow cat. It really isn't that loud. Do I need a silencer for it at TH?
Thanks

1. Yes, self tech, Bonnie can give you more info if needed
2. Your exhaust is fine. Our cars are quiet compared to some cars that go there.

Boostd4
11-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Looks like I'm in for sure guys...see you all on the 12th :D .

pstevo8
11-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Right now my front right fender has a tear in it, so if I put tape over where the hole is, do you think I will get black flagged, or should it be fine. I will not be able to get my fender fixed until next year, but this is too good of an opportunity.

Bill

earlyapex
11-02-2005, 10:54 PM
Right now my front right fender has a tear in it, so if I put tape over where the hole is, do you think I will get black flagged, or should it be fine. I will not be able to get my fender fixed until next year, but this is too good of an opportunity.

Bill

as long as the fender is still bolted on fine you should have no problem.

ayn
11-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Great deal, I need to figure out what to do with my dog, if I get that taken care of, I'll be there!

update: urgh, can't do it, have to drive my gf to the airport that day...

dohcvtec
11-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Great deal, I need to figure out what to do with my dog, if I get that taken care of, I'll be there!
Bring your dog with you!

ayn
11-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Bring your dog with you!

THill allows dogs??? I used to run at Texas World Speedway and they don't allow any pets...

I can't make it to the 12th, what about Thunderhill's very own DEs? Are they any good? I'm interested in this one: http://www.thunderhill.com/html/driving_school.html

I ran with TWS' very own motorsports club and they were great events...

--Andrew

dohcvtec
11-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Bring your dog with you!

THill allows dogs??? I used to run at Texas World Speedway and they don't allow any pets...

I can't make it to the 12th, what about Thunderhill's very own DEs? Are they any good? I'm interested in this one: http://www.thunderhill.com/html/driving_school.html

I ran with TWS' very own motorsports club and they were great events...

--Andrew

http://www.thunderhill.com/html/faq.html

Question: Are dogs allowed at the track?

Answer: Yes, however they must be on a leash at all times, and must not be left unattended. Dogs should not be relieved in the grass areas around the building. The pet owner will also be responsible if their dog should bite someone.

ayn
11-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Cool, this is good, so I can frequent Thunderhill from now on... :D Should be relatively easy to find motel that allow dogs...

So are their own DEs any good? price is not too bad, and it's on a weekend...

crctslt
11-10-2005, 12:36 PM
I plan on going as well. My only problem is that I need a second set of wheels and tires. My RA-1's are down to slicks and I need some rain tires if it...uh...rains. :o

SJCoruja
11-13-2005, 12:22 PM
Just now got the confirmation for the day off - count me in! :)

earlyapex
11-13-2005, 01:48 PM

Nice, see you there.

I noticed I am the only Evo so far in A-group. C'mon A-group people, sign up so I don't have to be the lone Evo kicking arse! :shock:

dohcvtec
11-13-2005, 02:25 PM
Don't worry Bryan, you'll have a del slo right on your tail ;) ... that is until we get to any of the straights :(

SJCoruja
11-13-2005, 02:42 PM
:( Shoot...looks like they're already filled up (over 45 signed up) and the deadline for the $100 deal is passed, but they are taking more folks at the regular (140/150) price. Gotta run it by the financial manager again once I get home. LOL

dohcvtec
11-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Matt,
You should still try and make it out there. I know the track bug has bit you now. ;)

Bonster
11-15-2005, 10:16 AM
Even though you might have missed the cutoff date for the cheapie deal, 140 bucks is still unheard of. I'll go ahead and drop the late fees charge . . . just sign up and have FUN! :) And it's not going to rain! My lucky Mazda watch prevents rain. ;)

BW

dohcvtec
11-15-2005, 10:47 AM
And it's not going to rain! My lucky Mazda watch prevents rain. ;)

BW
I'm going to hold you to that! :)

Richard EVO
11-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Any space left? If I can combine the 12/11 event with this one, it's worth the trip from SoCal. :D

Bonster
11-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Any space left? If I can combine the 12/11 event with this one, it's worth the trip from SoCal. :D

***Yup . . . come on out! It'll be about time I get to meet ya. :)

BW

Bonster
11-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Just an added perk . . . AWDs love skid pads . . . I hopefully can get it wet down for us, too, for added pleasure. Just thought I'd let ya'll know. Same goes for our November 25-26th events. Weee!!! :shock: :lol:

BW

Richard EVO
11-16-2005, 09:16 AM
You have Thunderhill on Nov. 25 & 26???

Bonster
11-16-2005, 10:15 AM

***We sure do! :) I *know* I must have told you, didn't I? Well, there's still room and time if you wanna come play. Go to www.team-racing.org and click on the "Upcoming Events" page, scroll down to the bottom, and you'll find the forms there. I hope you can make it up this way! :D

BW

MontinolaRacing
11-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Hey guys, If anyone is interested in private driver coaching for this event shoot me an email.

Great for the driver looking for that last second or new drivers that would like to learn the basics.

I race open-wheel formula cars and also instruct for the Skip Barber Racing School year-round. Have lots of experience to share with you.

For more info contact me at [email protected].

Thanks

Robbie Montinola

Bonster
11-20-2005, 05:41 PM
I race open-wheel formula cars and also instruct for the Skip Barber Racing School year-round. Have lots of experience to share with you.

***So are you bringing up a car or just instructing your students? <evil grin> Sorry, I just like the sound and smell of a Forumula car. :lol: Wish I could afford the Skippy school . . . maybe someday . . . WAHHH! Lol. :P

BW

MontinolaRacing
11-20-2005, 06:28 PM
i wish i owned my own formula car :? haha well i will drive whatever car someone lets me drive :lol:

we will see... yeah come out to a skippy 3-day racing school, you learn a lot and helps with driving street cars..

hope to see you all there.

robbie

hagakure
11-20-2005, 06:34 PM

You should make this event Richard.....supposed to be 70 degrees and sunny...

Percy

Bonster
11-20-2005, 06:49 PM
we will see... yeah come out to a skippy 3-day racing school, you learn a lot and helps with driving street cars..

***Yeah, one of the perks of being an instructor affords lots of opportunities to drive other cars. I'll be bringing up my racecar, but there are several folks who always offer to let me check out their cars. This is probably because I never drive other peoples' cars very fast (well, at least, not fast for my abilities). One of these days I gotta check out these Evo things. ;) They do look like fun. I haven't driven an RSX yet, either. I hopefully will find time to drive my first Lotus Elise, and of course, my student has encouraged me to drive his C6 (Corvette). But even though my little racecar is slower than some of these other cars, it does fit me well and I can't complain. :D

Someday I would really like to take either the Skippy school or maybe the Russell school. I can't afford that kinda expense just yet, though. Heck, I still need a truck and trailer for the racecar (or find a nice rich guy to haul it for me, HA!)! A person's gotta have their priorities, lol. I hope you can make it, though . . . I'd be interested in talking to you a little when there's time to pick your brain about the school. Best I can afford is his "Going Faster" book at this point, lol.

BTW everyone -- NOTICE -- the novice group is about full . . . we can only take another five or six folks, so don't wait too long! The advanced and intermediate groups are still okay for now. Drivers list is at www.onemain.com/~bonster/december.html

BW

Richard EVO
11-20-2005, 11:45 PM

You should make this event Richard.....supposed to be 70 degrees and sunny...

Percy

Nice, but since I'm planning to hit T-hill on Dec. 10, 11 and 12, I decided to stay in my own neck of the woods and run Buttonwillow with NorCal event organizer Green Flag Driving on Nov. 26 & 27. Hope to see you all in Dec. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/richard350z/LagunaSeca9-05020.jpg

Sackett
11-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Hey guys,

I'd like to sign up also. Is there still room? What do i owe at this point?

Sackett
11-24-2005, 11:39 AM

Nice, see you there.

I noticed I am the only Evo so far in A-group. C'mon A-group people, sign up so I don't have to be the lone Evo kicking arse! :shock:

I'll run A group with ya :)

I just got back from Streets of Willow Springs, and i was running the same lap times as 2 or 3 Muellerized evo's out there, and i still have stock MR suspension and tires. I should be able to keep up with these Miatas :D

leif
11-25-2005, 04:01 PM
i just realized im out of school by the time the december event rolls around...if there's still room and a good chance of sun i might have to come..

dohcvtec
11-25-2005, 05:25 PM
i just realized im out of school by the time the december event rolls around...if there's still room and a good chance of sun i might have to come..
You should do it!

Stormtrooper
11-26-2005, 01:24 PM
wow looks like we'll have a great group there...looking forward to it!

earlyapex
11-26-2005, 02:24 PM
Pray for no rain!

b0yw0nder
11-26-2005, 03:24 PM
yo doods, i'm out. too many factors working against me.

biggest one is that my insurance carrier doesn't cover track events.

Sackett
11-26-2005, 06:01 PM
yo doods, i'm out. too many factors working against me.

biggest one is that my insurance carrier doesn't cover track events.

there are instructors there. it is not a 'track event'. it is a 'driver's improvement session'.

b0yw0nder
11-26-2005, 06:08 PM
cool. you call and talk to my insurance provider then.

Sackett
11-26-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm just saying, most insurance companies will not cover 'timed' or 'competition' type events. A closed course, with instructors, and no timing equipment is basically a performance driving school.

if they cover you to take any drivers school on the street, they should cover you there too.

so if you are just getting this info off their website or from a third party, i would call an agent and ask them about it directly. if you have done that, make sure you explained it correctly.

but that's my $.02, do with it what you will. I may be wrong.

b0yw0nder
11-26-2005, 06:23 PM
take a look in the general section.

i wouldn't have made a statement like that without checking the facts.

mercury insurance and any other AIS insurance companies that they broker for are not covered

neither will Liberty mutual.

dohcvtec
11-27-2005, 01:20 PM
I just replied to your thread in General. I still say you're asking the wrong quesitons. Look at NASA HPDE's for instance, they've never had an incident NOT get covered in their history.
But in the end its your decision. You should not be out there if you don't feel comfortable.

Bonster
11-29-2005, 10:08 AM
As of this morning, November 29th, there is only ONE C (novice) group opening, ONE in B group, and ten in A group. Act fast if you wanna join us. The weather is unpredictable at this point, but it's pretty unusual for many rainy days at Thunderhill this time of year -- so far, this year has been very different. We've already had four days of rain! But it's not that big a deal . . . it's more slippery, we won't get to drive as fast, and you'll have to allow more room for braking and be on the look-out for spinning cars. Rarely will any damage result from spinning or going off-track (we've never had an incident yet, as a matter of fact). You just gotta be careful. Wet tracks will teach you every little mistake you are making -- something you'll not easily get in the dry. It's a very good teacher and you'd become a better driver because of it.

As far as insurance . . . I've done research on that stuff. State Farm apparently won't cover you unless you are the only person on the track -- they won't even cover you for a school. That's what their rep said, anyway. I have not seen a copy of their exclusions section of the policy. I have heard similar about Mercury . . . it's sad. I have Progressive -- they cover me, according to the policy, as long as it is not a timed event. I don't care what the rep might say -- I didn't sign the rep, I signed the documents which back up what I am saying about at least my carrier. I am not covered for racing, of course, but I am covered to be on the track. If I were to have an incident, I would probably have to fight pretty hard, but evidence is on my side with that contract. I don't know about Mercury . . . check out the 'exclusions' section of your policy. If they do not specifically exclude non-timed events, then you could fight it.

BUT . . .we won't need to call our insurance agents anyway, RIGHT?!? Like I said, we've NEVER had an incident on track. Sure . . . we might get a rock chip or a crack in the windshield -- something like that . . . but heck, that can happen on the street too. <hint>

If you are worried about wrecking your car, then perhaps it is a good idea to not take it out on the track. I don't want to wreck mine either -- in fact, it would devistate me (even though it's a racecar -- meant to be on track in the first place). I love my cars . . . I don't like seeing them change shape. And I'll tell ya . . . I've been doing this crazy stuff for six years now, two years racing, and never a scratch. It's the freaking morons on the street that have caused damage. Ironic, ain't it? :?

Just my 50 cents. :)

BW

Richard EVO
11-29-2005, 10:40 AM
If someone is worried their insurance won't cover them, or doesn't want to take the risk of damaging their car on the track, you should respect that and not try to talk them into doing something they are uncomfortable with. You should never drive a car on a racetrack that you can't afford to lose.

That being said, Allstate covered the total loss of my '03 350Z Track model at the Buttonwillow Performance Driving Clinic last year. I think they would have a very bad sense of humor about doing it again, but that doesn't stop me from tracking my EVO all the time. :lol:

Bonster
11-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Absolutely Richard . . . very sage words. I hope to never have to do battle with my insurance over my car, but like you, it doesn't stop me from taking that risk. That's why I have a daily driver. But it would still stink either way.

While most groups (ours, for sure) do everything they can to keep drivers safe and cars clean, there is always a chance that things can go wrong. It's a risk to be considered -- if you don't want to take that risk, it should be completely understood, for sure. It's all a matter of personal choice and yes, that choice should be respected.

Folks are always welcome to come on out and watch, though . . . that's never an insurance issue, and it can be a lot of fun seeing your friends play. :)

BW

hagakure
11-29-2005, 11:19 AM
Jsut to be safe, before the next season starts I'm going with these guys:
http://www.americancollectorsins.com/index.php

they provide special HPDE insurance as long as the EVENT is not being timed. there is a 20% deductable, but loosing 5000.00 is much better than having to start over from scratch. When you are wheel to wheel racing, you are SOL....but I'll spend 300.00 to be better safe than sorry.

Percy

Richard EVO
11-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Percy -

That's great info. I looked at their website, but didn't see the exclusion for timed events. Where did you see that? I'd like to think I am covered, even though I'm using a Hot Lap Timer.

earlyapex
11-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Jsut to be safe, before the next season starts I'm going with these guys:
http://www.americancollectorsins.com/index.php

they provide special HPDE insurance as long as the EVENT is not being timed. there is a 20% deductable, but loosing 5000.00 is much better than having to start over from scratch. When you are wheel to wheel racing, you are SOL....but I'll spend 300.00 to be better safe than sorry.

Percy

percy, how much are they a month? Or do they go by event?

Bonster
11-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Using a hot lap timer is not the same as a timed event. Timed events refer to events timed in order to determine placement in a competition event. You can use your hot lap timer and still be covered.

W

dohcvtec
11-29-2005, 11:40 AM
This is why you all should be driving beater Honda's like me at the track. :lol:

earlyapex
11-29-2005, 11:45 AM
This is why you all should be beating Honda's like me at the track. :lol:

:shock:

dohcvtec
11-29-2005, 11:58 AM
:(

smack
11-29-2005, 11:59 AM

looks like they bill anually. it's also $150 /10k of coverage.
you decide what the value is based on current market and mods.

when you apply they will let you know if they think your number is out of line.
35k=$525/yr
not too bad to KNOW you'll be covered

earlyapex
11-29-2005, 01:17 PM

looks like they bill anually. it's also $150 /10k of coverage.
you decide what the value is based on current market and mods.

when you apply they will let you know if they think your number is out of line.
35k=$525/yr
not too bad to KNOW you'll be covered

An additional $525 a year to know for sure that my 35k car is covered on track in case of a accident?

Where do I sign up? Sounds like a great idea to me!

earlyapex
11-29-2005, 01:19 PM

smack
11-29-2005, 02:21 PM
you did see the link that percy posted right?

earlyapex
11-29-2005, 02:43 PM

yup, was mearly pointing out that's a good deal to me. 8)

hagakure
11-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Yeah,

I'll be getting my policy in January!

dohcvtec
11-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Do you know if it follows the car or the driver, as far as coverage?

smack
11-29-2005, 03:26 PM

yup, was mearly pointing out that's a good deal to me. 8)

oh sorry. i thought that with the second post you were waiting for a response.

oh yeah, i think i'll be able to make the 12th. fingers crossed.

earlyapex
11-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Accuweather says clear and sunny 4 days up to and on the 12th. Woot.

Also looks like I will be helping out Bonnie and doing some instructing, so C group peeps, grab me on the day and let me know!

Richard EVO
11-29-2005, 04:54 PM

I hope that's right, but if you believe weather reports 2 weeks out, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. :P

earlyapex
11-29-2005, 05:01 PM

I hope that's right, but if you believe weather reports 2 weeks out, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. :P

I can dream can't I?

Bonster
11-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Actually . . . we tend to set up our drivers and instructors ahead of time. Which is why I've been begging so soon. We have a full (20) run group for the novices at this time (gotta update the website, I guess). I want to make sure that our novice drivers are very well taken care of . . . especially those little Evo rocketships. ;)

BW

earlyapex
11-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Actually . . . we tend to set up our drivers and instructors ahead of time. Which is why I've been begging so soon. We have a full (20) run group for the novices at this time (gotta update the website, I guess). I want to make sure that our novice drivers are very well taken care of . . . especially those little Evo rocketships. ;)

BW

Ok then only a privledged one chosen by the hand of Bonnie will be graced with my presence. 8)

Of course I am kidding. :oops:

crctslt
11-29-2005, 11:49 PM
Signed up. Hoping the weather holds :!:

Bonster
11-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Signed up. Hoping the weather holds :!:

***Well . . . you know about my "lucky Mazda watch?" Typically it holds off rain and brings us nice weather. I think the only reason it rained for half of the first day of the last event was because I put a new watch band on it. Now that the band is trained and knows what the watch is for, I think we'll again have a nice, sunny day -- or at least, no rain. Long live the lucky Mazda watch! Lol. :D

BW

Richard EVO
12-06-2005, 04:37 PM
OK, I'm all signed up. See you there. Weather report for Dec. 12 looking good as of today.

I will also be there for the Performance Driving Clinic on Dec. 10 and the www.ncda.net "GRIP" event on Dec. 11. :D

earlyapex
12-06-2005, 04:57 PM
See you there Richard! I take you are in A group?

Also,

who is Craig M, who just got on the list for A Group with a EVO MR?

Richard EVO
12-06-2005, 05:01 PM

Also,

I'm running in A group because it was the only one open and it has less traffic. I would run in A group at the SoCal tracks (Streets of Willow or Big Willow, Cal Speedway and maybe Buttonwillow) based on lap times, but I probably belong in B group at T-hill based on lap times, since I have only driven it a few times. However, I am perfectly comfortable in faster traffic, I'll just have my "point by" arm ready, so you NorCal guys can show me a thing or two at T-hill. Maybe by the end of my 3-day weekend, I can post some respectable times. I always run my fastest laps chasing someone who is a little faster than me. See you there. :lol:

earlyapex
12-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Come say Hi Richard and you are welcome to follow me around the track.

Should be a fun day, espically now that I have 300whp+. :twisted:

Can't wait to get some 100 octane in this monster. :twisted:

dohcvtec
12-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Werd, I'd like to finally meet the famous Richard Evo. I'll be the only del slo out there. A group, look out! Fear my 160whp!!! :)

earlyapex
12-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Werd, I'd like to finally meet the famous Richard Evo. I'll be the only del slo out there. A group, look out! Fear my 160whp!!! :)

but more importantly, watch out for that rip-roaring 50lb/ft of torque coming out of turn 11.

:twisted: :twisted:

hellz Evo
12-06-2005, 05:13 PM
is there a chance to register on the morning off the event?

dohcvtec
12-06-2005, 05:15 PM

but most importantly, watch out for that rip-roaring 50lb/ft of torque coming out of turn 11.

Hey, thats 110 lb/ft of torque, to the wheels!!!! take that!

We'll just compare fuel costs at the end of the day. ;)

Richard EVO
12-06-2005, 05:16 PM
I think there is only one spot left. They just updated the website today to say "Only 2 spots left" and then I took one of them. I'd sign up now if I were you.

earlyapex
12-06-2005, 05:17 PM

Ok, and we can compare lap times too, mine will be the the one with a zero as the second digit. :shock:

dohcvtec
12-06-2005, 05:18 PM

Richard EVO
12-06-2005, 05:20 PM

but most importantly, watch out for that rip-roaring 50lb/ft of torque coming out of turn 11.

I will win that battle easily. My fuel costs will be WAY MORE than yours. Oh wait, is this like golf and lap times, where a lower number is better ?!?!?!? :P

dohcvtec
12-06-2005, 05:32 PM
LOL

smack
12-06-2005, 05:58 PM
damn i forgot to register for this. i just sent bonnie e-mail to check that there is still room.

so assuming that i can get in, anyone want to split a room at amerihost? bryan?

Bonster
12-06-2005, 08:22 PM
is there a chance to register on the morning off the event?

***Email me privately at [email protected] If you are in A group we might be able to squeeze you in. We already have 28 drivers, which to me is pretty full. However, on good counsel, I heard that we are still small in comparison to many groups. So if you beg (letting me drive your car helps -- just kidding!), I might be able to get you in there. Dang -- who'd have thought so many people would be popping out of the woodwork once they learned it's not likely to rain next Monday. Lol. :o

BW

Bonster
12-06-2005, 08:24 PM
so assuming that i can get in, anyone want to split a room at amerihost? bryan?

***Smack is in! Well, as soon as he send his moolah on over. The event is now CLOSED. We have a waiting list, however. With this many drivers, there's bound to be a cancellation. :P

BW

Sackett
12-06-2005, 09:37 PM

Also,

That would be me :D

Richard, you were at the streets event last month, with the white evo right?

Richard EVO
12-06-2005, 11:27 PM

Also,

That would be me :D

Richard, you were at the streets event last month, with the white evo right?

Yes, I was at Streets last month with SpeedVentures in my white EVO. Did you pass me, or did I pass you???

That was a really great event, what with John Mueller, Kent Jordan and the whole Road Race crew, about 10 EVOs, and 2 private run sessions for the Muellerized EVOs.

crctslt
12-07-2005, 03:40 AM

Also,

I'm running in A group because it was the only one open and it has less traffic. I would run in A group at the SoCal tracks (Streets of Willow or Big Willow, Cal Speedway and maybe Buttonwillow) based on lap times, but I probably belong in B group at T-hill based on lap times, since I have only driven it a few times. However, I am perfectly comfortable in faster traffic, I'll just have my "point by" arm ready, so you NorCal guys can show me a thing or two at T-hill. Maybe by the end of my 3-day weekend, I can post some respectable times. I always run my fastest laps chasing someone who is a little faster than me. See you there. :lol:

Richard check out the video footage of Kent Jordan at TH on the Muellerized site. Should give you some good pointers.

DB8GSR
12-07-2005, 06:11 AM
So who's staying at the amerihost on sunday night?

Richard EVO
12-07-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm staying at the Days Inn, which is a whopping $5 cheaper. Maybe all the EVO drivers can get together for dinner and drinks on Sunday night. I find that lap times imrpove exponentially when one is hung-over. J/K :lol:

I see from the event e-mails that there is an informal dinner at Casa Ramos, together with pre-tech from 6:00 to 8:00 pm Sun. I'm not sure what time that means we would meet for dinner. I'm running the NCDA event on Sun., so by the time I get the car packed up and back to town, and get cleaned up, it would be like 6:30. How's 7:00 Sun. for dinner?

Sackett
12-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Yes, I was at Streets last month with SpeedVentures in my white EVO. Did you pass me, or did I pass you???

That was a really great event, what with John Mueller, Kent Jordan and the whole Road Race crew, about 10 EVOs, and 2 private run sessions for the Muellerized EVOs.

I was in the gray MR. we had a good little race for awhile, i pushed you for a couple laps, then i passed you, then you chased me for a couple. That was fun.

I tried to keep up with Kent in their M3 Cup car, but by the time i got to race with him (4th session) my brakes and tires were pretty well gone.

Bonster
12-07-2005, 10:17 AM
So who's staying at the amerihost on sunday night?

***You guys did read the confirmation email, right? We get a discount at the Golden Pheasant. However, I bet you could get a discount at Amerihost as well, considering the same people own these two motels. I just like the Pheasant better because I can park my car right outside my room. Having a 'gay car' and all, I need to keep an eye on it in case hoodlums try to mess with my little toy. She may be slow, but she's mine, and I'll take names and body parts if anyone hurts her (well, that doesn't include track time, I suppose). :) But that's kinda why I like the Pheasant better.

On dinner . . . we'll be there between 6 and 8 like I said . . . show up anytime you'd like. Chances are I'll be there after 8, but I just wanted to set up a window in case I wanna go back to my room like the old person I am (lol) and watch t.v. or something. ;)

BW

dohcvtec
12-07-2005, 10:51 AM
earlygrapeapex and i are staying at the amerihost. I just saw on the news this a.m. there is supposed to be a storm moving into the bay area Monday afternoon? :( Lets hope it remains dry up in Willows.

Richard EVO
12-07-2005, 12:37 PM
As of Wed. 12/7 at 11:30 a.m., both AccuWeather and WeatherUnderground forecast partly cloudy skies with highs in the mid-50s and no chance of rain for Mon. 12/12. :D

dohcvtec
12-07-2005, 02:03 PM
As of Wed. 12/7 at 11:30 a.m., both AccuWeather and WeatherUnderground forecast partly cloudy skies with highs in the mid-50s and no chance of rain for Mon. 12/12. :D
I'll accept that over my channel 4 KRON news forcast. :)

cokofellah
12-07-2005, 02:11 PM
anyone bringing their Hot Lap "transmitter"?

Richard EVO
12-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Yes, I will have my Hot Lap Transmitter. The damn thing eats "C" batteries like nobody's business. :(

dohcvtec
12-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Evan "crctslt" usually brings his also, but lets make sure there is only 1 out there. :P

What times are you running at TH in your miatski Patrick?

smack
12-07-2005, 02:36 PM
lets make sure there is only 1 out there. :P

what? you don't want section times :lol:

unfortunately the hot lap time won't do sections anyway.

Richard EVO
12-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Actually, I think the Hot Lap Timer is a piece of crap and I'm sorry I bought it. It often malfunctions, especially in the late afternoon when the sun is low in the sky, for some reason. It uses batteries so fast that you can get malfunction from that too. Sometimes for bizarre reasons it just keeps timing 5 second laps (I'm not quite that fast, LOL).

I want to get some better timing equipment. If anyone has suggestions, let me know. Of course I won't have time to get it before this event.

When I go to SpeedVentures events in SoCal, they have their own transponders, and Aaron from SpeedVentures sometimes runs the timing for other groups like RacerFactory. That timing is more reliable than the Hot Lap Timer.

cokofellah
12-07-2005, 03:12 PM

Why you asking? I have a roof now...so that's an extra 5 seconds a lap!!!....plus a lot of WORKS stickers...another 2 seconds a lap...sorry I got you depressed... :( :( :(

2:15 dude..i'm expecting at least 1 full second now that I have a hardtop...we'll see...and yes I will line up beside you every session 8)

dohcvtec
12-07-2005, 03:14 PM

Why you asking? I have a roof now...so that's an extra 5 seconds a lap!!!....plus a lot of WORKS stickers...another 2 seconds a lap...sorry I got you depressed... :( :( :(

2:15 dude..i'm expecting at least 1 full second now that I have a hardtop...we'll see...and yes I will line up beside you every session 8)
Sweet, sounds good. :)

The Hot Lap timer has worked flawlessly for me Richard. Maybe it is loosing line of sight to the transponder?

earlyapex
12-07-2005, 03:26 PM
I'll be bringing my transmitter too just in case so I think we have that covered.

I haven't had a problem with my longacre laptimer but the thing is built like a plastic toy for how much they charge. I heard the AMB stuff is pretty good and the the AIM MyChron. I'll probably be selling my longacre and getting the AIM one.
http://www.aimsports.com/products/mychron3-basic/index.html
http://www.aimsports.com/products/tg/index.html

This one is for DOHCVTEC, gotta love the smack talk before the events: :twisted:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/albums/thunderhill_09_13_05/thill091305_10.jpg

dohcvtec
12-07-2005, 03:32 PM
This one is for DOHCVTEC, gotta love the smack talk before the events: :twisted:

Too bad you need a silly turbo + bad driver hider AWD to pull that kind of number. ;)

earlyapex
12-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Too bad you need a silly turbo + bad driver hider AWD to pull that kind of number. ;)

That's it, I am so brake diving you on the outside of turn 5. :twisted:

cokofellah
12-07-2005, 03:35 PM
anybody know if we're running the bypass? aren't you guys attending the NCDA event on Sunday?

dohcvtec
12-07-2005, 03:36 PM

Bring it!! Your heavy pig of a car won't be able to touch me in the braking zone. :)

dohcvtec
12-07-2005, 03:40 PM
anybody know if we're running the bypass? aren't you guys attending the NCDA event on Sunday?
From what I understand we're running the cyclone on Monday. I'm not attending the NCDA event.

vtluu
12-07-2005, 05:26 PM
I'm not attending the NCDA event.
Ha, I knew you were afraid of me and my soapbar-mobile! :yikes:

dohcvtec
12-07-2005, 05:45 PM
hehe, bring it on Monday!

smack
12-07-2005, 07:41 PM
oh, btw, should i bring the poker chips for sunday night?

earlyapex
12-07-2005, 11:41 PM

Tony isn't coming and I don't play poker but if other people want to that's fine.

I'll probably be calling it a early night.

crctslt
12-08-2005, 12:09 AM
I'll be bringing my transmitter too just in case so I think we have that covered.

I haven't had a problem with my longacre laptimer but the thing is built like a plastic toy for how much they charge. I heard the AMB stuff is pretty good and the the AIM MyChron. I'll probably be selling my longacre and getting the AIM one.
http://www.aimsports.com/products/mychron3-basic/index.html
http://www.aimsports.com/products/tg/index.html

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/albums/thunderhill_09_13_05/thill091305_10.jpg

Pfft :P saved by a wussy tire :wink:

crctslt
12-08-2005, 12:10 AM

TORQUE! :shock:

crctslt
12-08-2005, 12:13 AM

Sounds interesting :)

Bonster
12-08-2005, 09:06 AM

***Ahem! REALLY??? You might see a black flag if you act too silly. And then you'll have to deal with the evil organizer. Oh wait . . . that's me. Moohoowahahahaha.

BW

Bonster
12-08-2005, 09:08 AM
anybody know if we're running the bypass?

***No -- we run the Eagle's Nest (over the top) at turn 5.

BW

Bonster
12-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Nice times for a Miata, Patrick . . . what did you feed your hamster? Lol. My average race lap is about a 2:12 . . . maybe I need to get lead implants.

BW

cokofellah
12-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Nice times for a Miata, Patrick . . . what did you feed your hamster? Lol. My average race lap is about a 2:12 . . . maybe I need to get lead implants.

BW

hahaha...I'll show you my used motor next monday...all the pieces have junkyard markings still on them :lol:
I have a hardtop now..if what they say is true....then I should be hangin' with you all the way..and it will be fun times

dohcvtec
12-08-2005, 11:03 AM

bah, its overrated. :lol:

crctslt
12-08-2005, 11:41 AM

bah, its overrated. :lol:

:cry:

Forgot to mention I will be bringing my Hot Lap transmitter. Usually I place it on the wall at the base of the start/finish tower. Hopefully someone else will bring theirs so that if there is a malfunction we have a backup.

Richard, the one time I have been out with Speedventures they were using AMB transponders.

Richard EVO
12-08-2005, 11:49 AM
I carry a tripod for my Hot Lap Transmitter. The main thing is we only want one of them set up. If mine works fine on Sun. Dec. 11, I will probably just leave it there overnight and it will already be there Mon. morning. If it malfunctions (which is certainly possible), I'll take it down.

The AMB transponders that SpeedVentures uses work great except for one thing -- you don't get your laptimes until maybe half an hour after the run session when they post the times. With Hot Lap and other timing equipment, you get your laptime immediately, inside the car, every time you pass the Transmitter.

Bonster
12-08-2005, 12:32 PM
I should be hangin' with you all the way..and it will be fun times

***Keywords -- 'average' and 'race'. Racing involves a lot more effort than track driving, because folks go gung-ho for a plastic trophy at times. So you gotta kind of protect yourself, which often means you lose speed here and there. My fastest time on Thunderhill was a 2:10.?? . . . the fastest time ever was Justin Hall, with about a 2:07 and some change, using the top of turn 5 (not the bypass). If you are doing 2:12s in just a street Miata (without the SM supsension, the limited slip, etc.), you really should consider converting it into an SM and think about racing it (after you get your race license, of course). A 2:12 is a fairly competitive time in a Miata. :)

BW

smack
12-08-2005, 12:40 PM
hey patrick,
you going to let me try out your car for a few laps :)

cokofellah
12-08-2005, 01:01 PM
I should be hangin' with you all the way..and it will be fun times

***Keywords -- 'average' and 'race'. Racing involves a lot more effort than track driving, because folks go gung-ho for a plastic trophy at times. So you gotta kind of protect yourself, which often means you lose speed here and there. My fastest time on Thunderhill was a 2:10.?? . . . the fastest time ever was Justin Hall, with about a 2:07 and some change, using the top of turn 5 (not the bypass). If you are doing 2:12s in just a street Miata (without the SM supsension, the limited slip, etc.), you really should consider converting it into an SM and think about racing it (after you get your race license, of course). A 2:12 is a fairly competitive time in a Miata.

BW
well, there actually is a plan :lol: ....immediate goal is the NASA license..hopefully early next year...
after that, racing...a lot of enduros first...just to get to know the Miata more - in race conditions. enduros could get me a slight jump on the experience factor....but I am just following my "mentor"...my passion is undoubtedly in the sprint races...the SM races

i already have all the goodies for SM..but for corner-weighing, the LSD, decent motor, paint job, and a trailer!!
not too worried about LSD...just focusing on the license, and geting more seat time for now.

Sean,...I would let you drive....but you're shorter than me...I don't think your feet will reach the pedals
:P

smack
12-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Sean,...I would let you drive....but you're shorter than me...I don't think your feet will reach the pedals

jeez, i'm not a midget or anything...

what, you scared i'll be faster than you in your own car? :lol:

cokofellah
12-08-2005, 01:33 PM

yeah?....let's get sector times...from turn 2 to turn 6..you can even be in your EVO if that makes you faster... :lol:

dohcvtec
12-08-2005, 02:29 PM

yeah?....let's get sector times...from turn 2 to turn 6..you can even be in your EVO if that makes you faster... :lol:
I'm game for that one! :) How are we going to determine the times though? :P

earlyapex
12-08-2005, 02:29 PM

***Ahem! REALLY??? You might see a black flag if you act too silly. And then you'll have to deal with the evil organizer. Oh wait . . . that's me. Moohoowahahahaha.

BW

Of course I am joking, I would hit low altitude orbit if I tryed something like that. :shock:

smack
12-08-2005, 02:53 PM

thankfully there are some straights on the track as well :lol:

and for me, i would definitely be faster in my car than in yours.
evo=much more forgiving

vtluu
12-08-2005, 04:00 PM
evo=much more forgiving
Depends how you define "forgiving". If I make a mistake in my Evo, if it's a little mistake it'll be forgiving in that I won't lose a lot of time. If I make a big mistake, it won't be forgiving at all and might "punish" me by doing something pretty dramatic and/or expensive.

The bone-stock Miata should be more forgiving in terms of doing expensive damage to the car, but much less forgiving in that every little mistake I make will be magnified in terms of lap times. That's why I'm bringing mine out--I've been told learning how to maintain speed in an underpowered car will make me a better driver overall--something I can then carry over to the Evo.

Richard EVO
12-08-2005, 04:59 PM
I've been told learning how to maintain speed in an underpowered car will make me a better driver overall--something I can then carry over to the Evo.

Yeah, I've heard that BS too. From Miata owners. I'll stick with my EVO, which has about triple the hp. :P

dohcvtec
12-08-2005, 05:16 PM
every little mistake I make will be magnified in terms of lap times. That's why I'm bringing mine out--I've been told learning how to maintain speed in an underpowered car will make me a better driver overall--something I can then carry over to the Evo.
I agree with this. I have been open tracking my underpowerd FWD honda's for over 3 years now. I have dramatically improved as a driver in these cars. When I make small mistakes it takes huge chunks out of my lap times. When I took the Evo out to the track, I was surprised how much it "covered" my mistakes in driving. Truely an amazing machine when piloted correctly, but the thing almost drives itself. I can't compare laptimes as I did not have timing equipment in the Evo. I must say though, if I didn't have my Honda I would definately be tracking the Evo. :)

smack
12-08-2005, 05:19 PM
yeah tam i meant the second part. about how your times will get killed with a mistake in the miata
since it takes about a week to get up to speed again once you lose momentum :lol:

so i do think that driving a car like a maita makes you a smoother driver
if you get to the point that your turning decent times.

lastly, i never drive to where if feel like i'm over my head so i don't usually
worry about making a costly mistake damage wise(i still think about failures and dropped fluids though :shock:).
i definitely sneak up on it and work on a corner or two at a time to get faster through the sections.

Richard EVO
12-08-2005, 05:20 PM
BAD NEWS (for me anyway). I have to cancel the entire 3-days at Thunderhill. I have been experiencing some misfiring which my mechanic informs me he will not have time to correct before the weekend, and that 1000 miles on the highway and 3 days of hard driving at T-hill will risk serious engine damage. Rats!!! :(

The good news is that one spot in the A group just opened up for whoever is first on the waiting list.

hagakure
12-08-2005, 05:23 PM
I've been told learning how to maintain speed in an underpowered car will make me a better driver overall--something I can then carry over to the Evo.

Yeah, I've heard that BS too. From Miata owners. I'll stick with my EVO, which has about triple the hp. :P

If I had it to do all over again, I would have started with a miata as well. I'm becoming a decent driver, but I attribute that as much to have raced road and mountain biles for 10 years as much as anything else. The Evo can cover your mistakes. It's not hard to go decently fast in the car and have no clue what you are doing. My second time out at t-hill I was under 2:20 in the evo ((rough stopwatch time by someone trackside), and I was TOTALLY CLUELESS. It's difficult to be TRULY FAST in the Evo, but it makes very very average drivers look much better than they are. Hats off to the folks in low HP cars that are just a few seconds behind people with 3X the HP....

Percy

dohcvtec
12-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Sorry to hear Richard. Better to take care of it now than having it blow up on you 500 miles away from home.

smack
12-08-2005, 05:27 PM
bummer richard, was looking forward to meeting you.

oh well, there will definitely be more trackdays in the future :D

vtluu
12-08-2005, 06:14 PM
BAD NEWS (for me anyway). I have to cancel the entire 3-days at Thunderhill.
Bummer. That's why I have a backup car now. If I ever get around to fixing the rally car, I'll have 2. ;)

Richard EVO
12-08-2005, 11:37 PM
I don't have a back-up car, but I have occasionally been tempted to track my daily driver, an '04 Audi B6 S4 6MT sedan. I ran it at Spring Mtn. in October. The damned thing has plenty of power, but at 3800 lbs., it is a fat pig that can't take a hard turn to save its life. No way I am driving that thing around T-hill for 3 days. :(

Guess I better go out and buy a cheap Miata from some racer who has moved up in class. :wink:

earlyapex
12-09-2005, 12:10 AM
The bone-stock Miata should be more forgiving in terms of doing expensive damage to the car, but much less forgiving in that every little mistake I make will be magnified in terms of lap times. .

Yea, let me know how that uber-short wheel base works for you. Spin like da' top!

DB8GSR
12-13-2005, 09:49 AM
Who else got their $40 rebate check. I think that only covered a portion in gas savings! :lol: 8)

thanks bonnie!! Great event. Those turbo/na miatas are awfully quick in the turns! :? :crazyeyes:

dohcvtec
12-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Who else got their $40 rebate check. I think that only covered a portion in gas savings! :lol: 8)

Huh? I only used 10.9 gallons the whole day. :)

Good to see everyone. Bonnie put together a great event as usual.

cokofellah
12-13-2005, 12:30 PM
yep..

hey Mike...I've got some good video...hehehe
Bryan was also there....but he went "bye-bye" real fast... :lol:

earlyapex
12-13-2005, 12:44 PM
yep..

Is it the video where you dive bombed both of us into turn 2? Haha, I saw you coming and since I was just chilling that session and playing "follow the snore-bear mike" I sat back and watched.

You held a nice line through turn 2 with on/off throttle inputs with mike on the outside of you and you glued to that other miatas arse. Nice stuff.

Put the video up. I can host if if you need.

dohcvtec
12-13-2005, 01:04 PM
yep..

haha, awesome! it was fun playing with you that session, until i saw you spin behind me in turn 10 :P I have some video of that session too. You should post yours up, I should have mine up sometime tonight.

dohcvtec
12-13-2005, 01:05 PM
"follow the snore-bear mike"
:lol:

smack
12-13-2005, 01:30 PM
yep..

haha, awesome! it was fun playing with you that session, until i saw you spin behind me in turn 10 :P I have some video of that session too. You should post yours up, I should have mine up sometime tonight.

maybe you should post some video of you in between 14 and 15 :lol:

cokofellah
12-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Put the video up. I can host if if you need.

haha...PM me instructions...I don't know anything about "posting video"
it's good stuff...you'll see just how you pull away..."cartoon-like" :lol:

earlyapex
12-13-2005, 02:18 PM
...you'll see just how you pull away..."cartoon-like" :lol:

Care Bear PowA! :lol:

dohcvtec
12-13-2005, 02:32 PM
yep..

maybe you should post some video of you in between 14 and 15 :lol:
Ask, and ye shall receive. :)

Here is my spin, woot!

ftp://ftp.westcoastbeauty.com/pub/mike/mespinTHteam.wmv

I'm rendering the incar from me and patrick, I'll have that posted soon.

Richard EVO
12-13-2005, 03:14 PM
You must have been practicing that line between 14 and 15 that you learned from the drifters at the event on Sunday. :lol:

dohcvtec
12-13-2005, 03:33 PM
;)

Here is the vid of me and Patrick. There is some nice commentary going on between me and my passenger :P . Then you see Bryan go by in a flash, I think he got sick of just following me and using 1/4 throttle down the straights. :)

ftp://ftp.westcoastbeauty.com/pub/mike/meAndPatrickTEAM.wmv

Bonster
12-13-2005, 05:50 PM
thanks bonnie!! Great event. Those turbo/na miatas are awfully quick in the turns! :? :crazyeyes:

***Lol . . . if I'd had a turbo in my car, I'd have really been able to show you guys a fun time. But, I am too lazy to maintain a turbo. However, watch out if I get to borrow one. Hehehe. I still didn't get to test drive an Evo, but I was so busy that I only got a session in myself. Turns out that my tires aren't actually shot -- I just need to flip them (Toyo RA-1 race compounds), and the tread is worn on the outsides at this time. So cool!

I'm really glad that you guys had a good time! I'm even more glad that you all stayed safe and drove so well. That really made my day!

BW

earlyapex
12-13-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm really glad that you guys had a good time! I'm even more glad that you all stayed safe and drove so well. That really made my day!

BW

I had a good time till I blew my headgasket. :?

dohcvtec
12-13-2005, 06:42 PM

BW

I had a good time till I blew my headgasket. :?
Thats what happens when you turbo!!

NA FTW!!

Stormtrooper
12-13-2005, 07:45 PM
wow... definitely a great time...

Thanks bonnie, now i'm hooked and it looks like i'll have to be going back every chance I get....

nice to meet all of you guys finally in person!

-Jeff

crctslt
12-14-2005, 12:07 AM

Here is my spin, woot!

So I decide to let Mike pass so I can watch his line for a lap. I figure as a fellow FWD'er I might pick up a thing or two. There I am following and I'm thinking to myself "Wow thats an unusual line through 14" then spin city 8) Glad I didn't try to follow the same line :lol:

Of course it was all my fault. I was pressuring him from behind... :wink:

Richard EVO
12-14-2005, 12:57 AM
I really hated to miss this event and meet all you NorCal EVO peeps. I got my engine problems ironed out and I am running closer to home for the rest of the month -- Big Willow Dec. 14, Streets of Willow Dec. 16, and Big Willow Dec. 23. That's my year (plus 40+ track days beating the crap out of the RS). :D

crctslt
12-14-2005, 02:34 AM
That's my year (plus 40+ track days beating the crap out of the RS). :D

You are my hero :shock:

MarkSAE
12-14-2005, 08:54 AM
I really hated to miss this event and meet all you NorCal EVO peeps. I got my engine problems ironed out and I am running closer to home for the rest of the month -- Big Willow Dec. 14, Streets of Willow Dec. 16, and Big Willow Dec. 23. That's my year (plus 40+ track days beating the crap out of the RS). :D

So what exactly was wrong w/ your engine? Something minor I hope. It's good to know our cars are built to take the abuse. :lol: Do you have any sort of upgraded oil cooler?

dohcvtec
12-14-2005, 09:17 AM

Here is my spin, woot!

So I decide to let Mike pass so I can watch his line for a lap. I figure as a fellow FWD'er I might pick up a thing or two. There I am following and I'm thinking to myself "Wow thats an unusual line through 14" then spin city 8) Glad I didn't try to follow the same line :lol:

Of course it was all my fault. I was pressuring him from behind... :wink:
I shouldn't have had my eyes on my mirror so much. That monster intercooler is intimidating! :) So much for demonstrating good driving for you huh? lol. :P

Bernardio
12-14-2005, 09:49 AM
You guys got some great videos! I think I got got a better idea of the line to follow now after watching these, especially through turns 2 and 9.
Thanks Evan for schooling this noob!

Bernardio
12-14-2005, 01:35 PM
also,

gotbluemilk.com posted their sample pics from the event up already!

http://gotbluemilk.com/web051212/

Bernardio

dohcvtec
12-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Here is what happend to my pads, think I need a new set?

http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/uploads/1134192415/gallery_106_2_43136.jpg
http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/uploads/1134192415/med_gallery_106_2_36360.jpg

And this is what the rotor looks like now, good thing they're only $20 a pop. :P

http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/uploads/1134192415/gallery_106_2_3818.jpg

DB8GSR
12-14-2005, 06:34 PM
also,

gotbluemilk.com posted their sample pics from the event up already!

http://gotbluemilk.com/web051212/

Bernardio

I'm still waiting for the disc that I purchased from gotbluemilk.com They looked real nice.

Here are some photos from monday...

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album381/DSC01660.sized.jpg

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album381/DSC01573.sized.jpg

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album381/DSC01610.sized.jpg

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album381/DSC01580.sized.jpg

a few more photos here
http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/modules.php?set_albumName=album381&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

dohcvtec
12-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Nice pic of me eating a cold pop tart. lol

earlyapex
12-14-2005, 07:15 PM

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/misc/board_shit/mike_poptart_carebear.jpg

dohcvtec
12-14-2005, 07:17 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

dohcvtec
12-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Damn the Del Slo is HOT!! :lol:

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album381/DSC01556.sized.jpg

Stormtrooper
12-14-2005, 07:58 PM
yeah i got the pictures from gotmilk as well.... i figured that it was necessary for my first time =D

a few...
http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album383/MF1A8874.sized.jpg

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album383/MF1A7964.sized.jpg

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album383/MF1A8494.sized.jpg

Album Link:
http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/modules.php?set_albumName=album383&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

From sunday...

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album384/PICT0114.sized.jpg

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album384/PICT0018.sized.jpg

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album384/PICT0047.sized.jpg

Album link:
http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/modules.php?set_albumName=album384&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

crctslt
12-14-2005, 10:37 PM
You guys got some great videos! I think I got got a better idea of the line to follow now after watching these, especially through turns 2 and 9.
Thanks Evan for schooling this noob!

I was happy to help Bernard. You really didn't need much help. You have good instincts and if you stick with it you're going to be fast :D

crctslt
12-14-2005, 10:41 PM

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/misc/board_shit/mike_poptart_carebear.jpg

Holy crap! Bryan is teh hax :lol:

dohcvtec
12-14-2005, 11:00 PM
:lol:

Here is Patrick's incar from the same time of my video. Some good driving man.
ftp://ftp.westcoastbeauty.com/pub/mike/patrick1212team.wmv

Stormtrooper
12-15-2005, 09:04 AM
awesome thanks for the vids guys....

good study material for next time!

-Jeff

Bonster
12-16-2005, 08:37 AM
Here is what happend to my pads, think I need a new set?

***Pushing the Del Slo a little there, eh? Lol. Check with www.adrenalineracing.com for pads and rotors -- Eddie has great products and he doesn't charge you an arm and a leg. You can also call him at (360) 566-0173. At least give him a try -- he did buy us lunch on Monday, after all. ;)

BW

DB8GSR
12-16-2005, 08:54 AM
Bonnie... are we ever going to see these $100 dollar track day again in the future? :twisted: :wink: :wink:

Bonster
12-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Bonnie... are we ever going to see these $100 dollar track day again in the future? :twisted: :wink: :wink:

***Unfortunately, not very likely. Usually we charge around $190 for our events. Next year track rental rates are going up -- not by much, but I know for sure that at least Reno-Fernley and Buttonwillow are going up. I haven't seen my contracts from Thunderhill yet, but I suspect they'll pop up the prices at least a little bit. The reason I held this one so cheap was because the track gave us a discount -- I guess they weren't getting a lot of groups to sign up in December. When I told the track supervisor what we were charging, he shook his head and told me what a dork I was. I then reminded him that while profit is certainly a nice feature of running these track days, it's never been why I love doing them so much. I take my payment in the form of smiles. NO -- your smile won't get you a free track day, don't even ask. Lol.

BW

earlyapex
12-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Next year track rental rates are going up -- not by much, but I know for sure that at least Reno-Fernley and Buttonwillow are going up.

Speaking of Reno-Fernley, When do we get to try out the new big track there?

I can't wait! That thing was amazing even going 15mph on our parade lap.

Bonster
12-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Speaking of Reno-Fernley, When do we get to try out the new big track there?

***They are actually quite busy for 2006, but we did secure a weekend in (IIRC) August . . . I have been trying to get ahold of the track manager to confirm our contract, and add the Friday previous to put on an all-Corvette date. It will be a great weekend!!! And no worries, folks -- there's no way I'd leave out one of my favorite car groups in this invitation. :D

BW

crctslt
12-16-2005, 09:27 PM
must drive Fernley big track...getting ...jittery... :D :D :D

Bonster
12-17-2005, 09:06 AM
must drive Fernley big track...getting ...jittery... :D :D :D

***Lol . . .yeah, this time of year kinda sucks for motorsports addicts. But this is a good time to baby your baby a little -- new belts and hoses, stuff like that. Heck, you might even want to wax and polish it -- GASP! I know my car needs a LOT of TLC this winter . . . the tranny sure could use a lift. And I'm sending in my AFM to have it bench tuned, and I'll be adding some cold air induction (believe it or not, it's legal in the 'small block' Miatas as long as the AFM doesn't get moved). So maybe next year I'll have a little more hp, like the healthy Miatas out there. Still won't be able to catch an Evo, but it'll be that much harder for you guys to take me down. ;) So winter can be a good thing . . . get out those wrenches and get greasy!!! ARGH. :P

BW

cokofellah
12-17-2005, 10:07 AM
that's insane....you're a geek....definitely one of us :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, I want that cold induction thing too...where? how much?

Richard EVO
12-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Yeah, new belts and hoses = good thing. I just replaced all the cooling system hoses after having overheating problem. Unfortunately I'm still having a problem I need to diagnose. Ran Streets of Willow yesterday, but day ended at 3:30 due to overheating. Since I have a PWR radiator, new hoses, and it was about 60 degrees out, I'm mystified at this point. Maybe head gasket? :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/richard350z/Streets_EVO_001smaller.jpg

dohcvtec
12-17-2005, 04:35 PM
I was just going to say head gasket. You need a new tuner bro.

Bonster
12-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Hey, I want that cold induction thing too...where? how much?

***Check out this link: http://www.okmiata.com/r_upgrades.html#sp_induction The Straight Shot is a couple of pics above it. Upon more review, I think I'll get the SP unit instead of the straight shot, actually. If memory serves, that's what Justin Hall (regional champ) is running.

Weeee!!! :)

BW