PDA

View Full Version : "Auto show in motion" report...

DaveLC2
10-18-2005, 12:18 PM
I know it's domestic :oops: but someone on here posted a a link to the auto show in motion. I had an absolute blast at the Mazda event (got to go 2 days) so I am totally going to this in hopes to feel LS2 power. I am signed up for 10am on thursday because I figure most people will be working and I am off and I want to do as much as I possibly can.

http://www.autoshowinmotion.com/index.asp?flash=True&s=%7B438AA1B0%2DCD22%2D4EFB%2D99D5%2D6CC7E2C83258% 7D

Dave

Matz
10-18-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm going to the San Jose event... I think Saturday at 8AM?

DaveLC2
10-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Hehe I signed up for the San Jose event too :lol: Signged on Thursday as well.

Dave

Matz
10-18-2005, 01:27 PM
You signed up for TWO days? Wow! Don't you have to work? :D

DaveLC2
10-18-2005, 01:32 PM
You signed up for TWO days? Wow! Don't you have to work? :D

I have thurs and fri's off so I know those two days will be much slower than the weekend days. I wouldn't be able to go until after 4pm on sat or sun and by then it will be slamed. I am signed for 10am at Alameda and 11am for San Jose but I will try my best to get there earlier. Even going 2 days for Mazda I still didn't get to do everything due to massive lines on Sat and Sun.

Dave

evolyphics8
10-18-2005, 02:33 PM
I signed up for Thurs at 1230. Time to drive some american muscle. YEEEEHAW!!!

r6bruin
10-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Same here, signed up for San Jose event, Sat morning at 9.

DOCS_EVO
10-18-2005, 08:05 PM
San Jose, Sun, 9. :D

SouthernCrane
10-18-2005, 08:25 PM
Hehe I signed up for the San Jose event too :lol: Signged on Thursday as well.

Dave

Thurs here as well, at 11am

G-Lo408
10-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Me signed up on Thursday 11/10/05 - 12:30 PM

Matz
10-19-2005, 03:00 AM
Everyone, remember to wear your Evo gear for this day! :) I'll probably have my NCE T-shirt on.

G-Lo408
10-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Everyone, remember to wear your Evo gear for this day! :) I'll probably have my NCE T-shirt on.
Where can we get these NCE shirts? I would like to represent this site. I know I am new and all but I'm a proud Evo owner :lol:

SouthernCrane
10-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Where can we get these NCE shirts? I would like to represent this site. I know I am new and all but I'm a proud Evo owner :lol:

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=297

jrnot
10-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Sunday at 12:30pm

DaveLC2
10-21-2005, 02:00 AM
Well I went to the event and had a real good time. I didn't get to meet anyone from here there but there was another black Evo (much cleaner than mine was at the time) and a silver one with the small wing parked to my left when I was leaving. I started off with driving the LS2 powered 6spd GTO on the passenger car course to qualify for the performance course. I loved the way the exhaust sounded just as it comes but the first thing I noticed was the steering wheel felt HUGE and the steering ratio was about as quick as a Honda Odyssey's :lol: The car felt like it had a ton of grunt but the track really kind of sucked and you had to keep it at 25mph or under :x

Next I hustled on down to the performance course way the hell on the other side and drove the Cadillac CTS-V (LS6 powered) with a 6spd and it was balls to the wall til the first corner which was somewhere past 60mph :D The car felt so refined and I liked it better than the GTO. The damn thing handled pretty well for a heavy sedan too. With a msrp over $53,000 I won't be getting one anytime soon :(

Next up was a black on black 6spd Vette. Damn!!! The LS2 in the Vette had power everywhere!!! It made me a little nervous having the instructor with his hand on the e-brake ready to pull at anytime. I'm not sure how that's going to help him other then putting the car in a out of control slide. The new 6spd LS2 C6 is supposed to hit 60mph from a rest in like 4.3 seconds! I guess I can understand. I think I got it up to about 65-70mph and it went like a freaking freight train. My Evo is all stock at the moment so this felt impressive to me. I was planing on giving the C6 auto trans Vette a go but then I found out that you only had two shots in the performance section Be advised. Good thing I drove the 6spd's 1st. No big deal on not being able to drive a auto Vette. I'd never own one anyway. If I ever did buy one it's going to be a manual.

Well I had no interest on driving a Hummer or any suv's. So I went back to the 1st section and drove a Honda Civic Si (HB) right after the C6. Wow did that thing feel gutless!!! I guess they're pretty weak but after driving a 400hp vette it felt especially weak. The car was very nimble and was a joy to toss around. Need like 100 more hp :lol:

Then I gave the new Impala SS with the 5.3L V8 a go. That thing had too much torque for the front wheels to hanldle. The car felt like it would be a great highway cruiser and it also had a great exhaust tone.

The last thing I drove was the Chevy Colbalt SS with the Supercharged Ecotec motor. I did NOT like it once I sat in it. It felt kind of thrown together but it had the nicest sound system of all and had enough bass to rattle the mirrors. The seats were uncomfortable to me and the layout felt a little funky to me. The motor did make nice power and the exhaust sounded cute :lol: The one chance I had to get on it the front tires broke loose with the blower and then I was cock blocked by some blue haired seniors in a Solstice :x

I then wanted to catch the dyno run of the GTO and film it at 1:30. I walked up just in time and the announcer was talking about the car when he asked who wanted to get in it. He asked the trivia question "What was the 1st year of the GTO?" One guy said 2002 and another said 2004 which both answers were wrong. I raised my hand and said 1964 and the dude told me that was correct and to hop in! Crap I wanted to film it but what the hell. I guess it was like a simulated 1/4 mile/dyno run. The car was blue and was an auto. He told me to mash the gas and hold it for about 13 seconds or until he gave me the signal. The thing screamed and you could hear it chirp 2nd gear on the rollers and when he gave me the signal it was like 12.65 @ 111mph and put down 370hp to the wheels. I don't think the car is quite that fast since it weighs in at like 3,800 w/o driver. That was it for me and my day was complete. Then I was off to my buddy's place up in Healdsburg. Had to beat that 101 traffic. I had a blast playing and I am glad I got the chance to answer a triva question since I've been a domestic muscle car buff since I was a child :D

I must say the car that left the best impression on me was the Cadillac CTS-V for all around comfort, performace and luxury. For flat out peformance it would be the Vette and bang for the buck would have to be the 6spd GTO. When I hopped back into my car I realized that NONE of the cars I drove even came close to fun factor and handling as my Evo does. I just love the quick steering of the Evo's! The closest thing I've ever owned that had steering as quick as the Evo was a Invader go-cart I owned when I was 10 yrs old! I love my Evo!!!

Dave

wilson1
10-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the update, you saved us the time and hassle, and now we dont have to go to the event anymore! :D

DaveLC2
10-21-2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the update, you saved us the time and hassle, and now we dont have to go to the event anymore! :D

No problem :lol: I'm still gonna go to the one in San Jose because it wasn't even as busy as I thought it would be. Next time I am going not going to rush around. I'll check out the Luxuary cars and SUV's this time.

Dave

wilson1
10-21-2005, 05:34 PM

No problem :lol: I'm still gonna go to the one in San Jose because it wasn't even as busy as I thought it would be. Next time I am going not going to rush around. I'll check out the Luxuary cars and SUV's this time.

Dave

Thanks Dave!

Do take some videos and pics. :D