PDA

View Full Version : How do I get started with "performance driving" tr

evolution888
10-19-2005, 11:23 PM
Can someone post a guide to classes to take before track/autoX?

Where can I obtain some skills before I take it to the track/auto x?

Is there track days for noobs / auto x?

Before you flame, I've searched many websites, Jim Russel Racing, Skip Barber Racing, Trackmasters, TracQuest. I would like someone with experience comment.

I just want to have some fun, thanks.

Richard EVO
10-19-2005, 11:33 PM
I am a SoCal EVO guy, but have run with some of the NorCal groups. I know nothing about auto-X. All my experience is HPDE on road courses. The tracks in NorCal (Sears Point-Infineon, Thunderhill, and Laguna Seca) are generally better and more expensive than the SoCal tracks (Buttonwillow, Willow Springs big track, Cal Speedway ROVAL and infield course, and Streets of Willow).

You can get better info about which groups to run with from the NorCal members here, but in my experience, TracQuest is great but expensive. Track Masters is very good but less track time. I understand NCRC and GGLC are very good, but have not run with them.

I say just pick one, go out the first time, take the beginner driving class, and have fun. Don't spend a lot of money getting ready for your first track day. Just get a helmet, make sure your tires and brakes are in good shape, bring an extra quart of oil and a tire pressure guage.

If you decide you want to do more of this, you will have plenty of opportunity to spend big $$$ in the future. :D

ustcc evo
10-20-2005, 12:45 AM
While I know of no classroom or online training to driving on track, I continue to find great books that reveal the science of racing.

The bible of training manuals has to be 'Going Faster!' from the Skip Barber school. It will teach you how to figure out the line, the commonly used nomenclature, and a bunch of great information on the basics of on track driving.

After that, more in depth books are available from Amazon.com on topics such as suspension setup, the 'mind' game, and advanced driving techniques. Try 'Chassis Engineering' by Herb Adams, anything from Carroll Smith, or Ross Bentley's series of books.

The Society of Engineers puts out an automotive engineering text book. It is expensive and has more equations than words, but it has a lot of useful information and explains a lot of things about suspension and tire dynamics.

In addition to the above mentioned clubs, all NASA regions have a run group specifically for beginners, with instructors who will ride with you during your sessions and teach you the safe, and fast, way around the track.

Hope this helps.

vtluu
10-20-2005, 01:30 AM
Henry Watts, Secrets of Solo Racing. By the way Hank Watts instructs locally with PCA and NCRC, so sign up for a track day sometime. ;)

I wouldn't obsess on "book learning" for autocross. Maybe just try to understand a few basic concepts such as the traction circle and weight transfer. Just strap on a helmet and do it, and get someone experienced to ride along and give you pointers. A couple of driving pointers: smoother is faster, and if you turn the wheel and the car doesn't change direction, don't turn it more--unwind the wheel a little and gently lift off the throttle and apply some brakes if need be, until the car starts turning.

Matz
10-20-2005, 01:53 AM
+1 for Going Faster. hagakure recommended it so I bought the book and video. Really good stuff. I learned many things that I didn't know / understand before.

I took Russell Racing a few months ago, and also learned quite a bit from it. It seems pretty safe if you're running at Infineon with an instructor. But for normal track days without an instructor, the best thing to do is to start at a safer place, like Thunderhill. This way, you can explore the limits of the Evo without crashing into walls.

Many people have told me that karting helps a lot for developing some of the reflexes that you'll need to keep a car under control; for me, it doesn't quite translate -- I can keep the kart under control, but when the Evo gets squirrely on me on the track, I have no idea what to do, and hence the recommendation to run at Thunderhill.

SouthernCrane
10-20-2005, 07:12 AM
. I would like someone with experience comment.

I just want to have some fun, thanks.

I have no track experience, but am going to try to go to the HPDS (High Performance Driving School) at Thunderhill. A few people here have done it, but it seems like a great place to start, with classroom time, and seat time with an instructor.

http://www.thunderhill.com/html/driving_school.html

ZK
10-20-2005, 08:49 AM
I would go out to the local autocross events and watch first. Maybe get a ride along with some drivers to get a feel of it. Watching is always free.

Although track events and autocross are different, I would suggest going out to autocross before taking it out to a road course. The cost is a lot lower, less wear on your car and its more technical. They are also very friendly to newcomers and everyone is happy to help out and give pointers. Take a look at http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2 for schedules and information.

As for going out to a track requires more money, but you will get a lot more seat time + higher speeds + instructors that will help you out. The car set up and driving technique is different.

SJCoruja
10-20-2005, 09:49 AM
+1 on the HPDS at Thunderhill. Just did it a couple weeks ago and it was an awesome experience. Very organized but also relaxed at the same time, with plenty of instruction and help.

MarkSAE
10-20-2005, 10:29 AM
Here's a good link on how to drive Thunderhill.

http://www.pca-ggr.org/pdf/th-counterclockwise.pdf

Nobodyx
10-21-2005, 06:53 PM
HPDE is the way to go. NCRC/ARC is a great club (and they just purchased TracQuest), and Track Masters, SpeedVentures and Unlimited Laps are all outstanding, too. You can also extend your reach and hook up with any club that's rented out the track for the day. I've run with the Volvo Club, the Ferrari Club, the Lotus club and the PCA. PCA guys are typically wankers--but I even met some cool guys at the Ferrari event.

As for driving techniques and racing fundamentals...Gran Turismo 4 on the Playstation is an absolutely incredible and underrated racing tool. The license tests cover everything from racing lines and apexes, track out and turn in points to off throttle oversteer, understeer, threshold braking, AWD vs. RWD vs. FWD handling dynamics, etc. And you can learn Laguna and Infineon while you're at it.

There's an Oct. 31st Event w/Unlimited Laps at Thunderhill. I'll be there....weather will dictate whether I bring my Evo or my S2000, though. :lol:

Cameron@xperformance
10-21-2005, 06:58 PM
As for driving techniques and racing fundamentals...Gran Turismo 4 on the Playstation is an absolutely incredible and underrated racing tool. The license tests cover everything from racing lines and apexes, track out and turn in points to off throttle oversteer, understeer, threshold braking, AWD vs. RWD vs. FWD handling dynamics, etc. And you can learn Laguna and Infineon while you're at it.
if thats true then i have all the racing techniques down, and ive never driven a car

Evo442
10-21-2005, 08:05 PM
I've gotten a few hpde's under my belt and have a few thoughts.

an HPDE is a great way to try out the track. I'd recommend either NASA or NCRC as a first experience. Both are large groups with well organized events. they will set you up with a mentor prior to the event as well. Plenty of instructors and some classroom discussion. if you cant hook up with these guys trackmasters have good instructors also.

Thunderhill is a great track for a newbie. Lots of runoff, few walls.

I track my car around 2x per month. If you have specific questions, feel free to pm me. If you want to come hang out and check out an event, i'll let you know when i'm planning on being at the track next.

MarkSAE
10-22-2005, 12:04 AM
The thing that sucks about auto-x is the limited seat time. I went to about 6 or 7 autocrosses over the spring and summer and felt like I never improved. Granted I never had any type of instruction, I felt the lack of seat time really made my progression slow. For a beginner such as myself, I need a lot of seat time to get better. I highly recommend a track event w/ instruction over an auto-x for someone learning.

ZK
10-22-2005, 01:21 AM
The thing that sucks about auto-x is the limited seat time. I went to about 6 or 7 autocrosses over the spring and summer and felt like I never improved. Granted I never had any type of instruction, I felt the lack of seat time really made my progression slow. For a beginner such as myself, I need a lot of seat time to get better. I highly recommend a track event w/ instruction over an auto-x for someone learning.

The stuff you learn at autocross and at the track are totally different. You can say it almost is two different driving techniques. I think autocross is good way to start getting into motorsports.

Even with the limited seat time you get a lot of exposure to driving the car at the limit and watching other cars is pretty instructional as well. You learn to analyze each corner and improve on the times plus the course is never the same so you learn how to drive courses you've never seen before.

I've been doing autocross for the past 7 years and track days the past 4 years. Each time its been a fun and educational experience. Track days are just as fun as autocross maybe more so but the higher speeds and other cars puts a lot more at risk than hitting a cone or two in a parking lot.

You should decide which you want to do and then move in that direction. HPDE is the way to go to get started in track driving. Autocross has schools as well and can be very educational. A fast track guy might not be fast at an autocross and vice versa and car set up is pretty different as well.

MarkSAE
10-22-2005, 06:16 AM
The stuff you learn at autocross and at the track are totally different. You can say it almost is two different driving techniques. I think autocross is good way to start getting into motorsports.

Even with the limited seat time you get a lot of exposure to driving the car at the limit and watching other cars is pretty instructional as well. You learn to analyze each corner and improve on the times plus the course is never the same so you learn how to drive courses you've never seen before.

I've been doing autocross for the past 7 years and track days the past 4 years. Each time its been a fun and educational experience. Track days are just as fun as autocross maybe more so but the higher speeds and other cars puts a lot more at risk than hitting a cone or two in a parking lot.

You should decide which you want to do and then move in that direction. HPDE is the way to go to get started in track driving. Autocross has schools as well and can be very educational. A fast track guy might not be fast at an autocross and vice versa and car set up is pretty different as well.

Yeah, auto-x and HPDE is pretty much totally different. My first few laps out on the track was weird because I was used to reacting to the fast pace of auto-x. I guess auto-x is a good way to get exposure to a motorsport activity that doesn't involve just accelerating in straight lines.

smack
10-22-2005, 11:17 AM
another great group for noobs is the audi club. they are open to any brand of car.

they do 2-day events with the first half of the first day classroom and
cone exercises(threshold braking, slalom, lane toss) in the padock. the cone
stuff is great for getting a feel for what the car is doing under you and if you
spin in the cones you're not going to hurt anything.

then after lunch you start with the normal 20-25 min. session schedual with your instructor.

after each session you're out on the track the you have a quick classroom
session to answer questions and just go over general info.

in between both of these times you have open time to get a snack or work on
you car if needed or catch a ride with some of the instuctors in their sessions.

you should do this whenever possible in whatever groups you run with. you
can learn quite a bit(proper driving line, brake and turn-in points, and gear
selection and timing) just from riding since you can just watch and not have
to concentrate on driving.

the club also throws a nice banquette the night of the first day and at
infineon it's held at viansa winery so there is a wine tasting thing that
happens before dinner and it's all included. and it's fun to give the s4
guys a hard time :wink:

the audi club is having an event nov. 3-4 at infineon(sears point) raceway.
i think there might be spots still available.

hope to see some more evos out there...

http://www.audiclubgoldengate.org/

Matz
10-22-2005, 11:29 AM
WOW, this is exactly what I want to do... it sounds like a fantastic way to get started on the track (again).

Eclipse
10-22-2005, 12:05 PM
another great group for noobs is the audi club. they are open to any brand of car.

they do 2-day events with the first half of the first day classroom and
cone exercises(threshold braking, slalom, lane toss) in the padock. the cone
stuff is great for getting a feel for what the car is doing under you and if you
spin in the cones you're not going to hurt anything.

then after lunch you start with the normal 20-25 min. session schedual with your instructor.

after each session you're out on the track the you have a quick classroom
session to answer questions and just go over general info.

in between both of these times you have open time to get a snack or work on
you car if needed or catch a ride with some of the instuctors in their sessions.

you should do this whenever possible in whatever groups you run with. you
can learn quite a bit(proper driving line, brake and turn-in points, and gear
selection and timing) just from riding since you can just watch and not have
to concentrate on driving.

the club also throws a nice banquette the night of the first day and at
infineon it's held at viansa winery so there is a wine tasting thing that
happens before dinner and it's all included. and it's fun to give the s4
guys a hard time :wink:

the audi club is having an event nov. 3-4 at infineon(sears point) raceway.
i think there might be spots still available.

hope to see some more evos out there...

http://www.audiclubgoldengate.org/

$500 !?! Must be nice, but too much for my budget.