PDA

View Full Version : power gains with a cat delete

ApexSilverMR
10-20-2005, 08:20 PM
hey, im planning on installing a cat delete on my stock evo MR. does anybody know the kind of gains i might get with a cat delete on a stock evo? also does anybody know if running the cat delete on the stock exhaust makes it any louder? thanks for your help!

Mo Evo
10-20-2005, 08:47 PM
hey, im planning on installing a cat delete on my stock evo MR. does anybody know the kind of gains i might get with a cat delete on a stock evo? also does anybody know if running the cat delete on the stock exhaust makes it any louder? thanks for your help!

Talking with the guys at San Rafael Performance, they said a 'hi po free flowing cat' will net you around 8-10 hp. Removing a cat WILL make the exhaust much louder, not sure about the gains, but you should pick up a few ponies. Remember there are sensors that are attached to the cat, so you'll have to make provisions for those. I tried removing the cat from my old '95 Eclipse GSX, but I couldn't stand the noise and the check engine light was always on.

Mo

Evo8andahalf
10-20-2005, 08:49 PM
removing the cat makes any car loud and stinky

EvoVIII
10-20-2005, 09:58 PM
my car stinks so bad even on a HFC

egui42
10-20-2005, 10:17 PM
removing the cat makes any car loud and stinky

and illegal...

hphan
10-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Not to mention how many cops you will attract if he paces you. Especially if he's a motorcycle cop cause he'll pull you over thinking you haven't had a smog lately. But if 8-10 HP is worth all that potential trouble then all power to you. My 2 cents.

ZK
10-21-2005, 11:13 AM
My previous car I ran without a cat. I had a downpipe, high flow cat and exhaust and just changed the high flow cat to a test pipe. The power gain is definitely there and very noticable. But on the Evo, you will get an engine check light because of the 02 sensor after the cat.

Also, the smell of exhaust fumes is very strong and your bumper will get constantly coated in black soot. I used to just drive around with the windows up all the time around town. It's not bad with the windows down when you are moving. If you are running rich and let off the gas suddenly it will backfire and sometimes shoot flames. Noise is not as big an issue on a turbo car. The turbo tends to quiet the exhaust down. My whole turbo back exhaust with no cat was quieter than my friend's NA car with just a cat-back exhaust.

So it's up to you if you think the additional power is worth it.

earlyapex
10-21-2005, 11:43 AM
My bumper isn't sooty and my car doesn't smell like ass.

Maybe you need a new tune?

10-21-2005, 12:18 PM
y get cat-delete pipe? u ruin the air we breath and not talking about smelly trace. if u race your car only then it sokay. but for daily driven u r an air killer.

Evo8andahalf
10-21-2005, 02:27 PM
y get cat-delete pipe? u ruin the air we breath and not talking about smelly trace. if u race your car only then it sokay. but for daily driven u r an air killer.

haha well put tony :D

EVO GRIM
10-21-2005, 03:20 PM

+1

ZK
10-21-2005, 03:58 PM

Well, my previous car wasn't an Evo, and no it wasn't tuned.

Stock JDM ECU program for JDM high octane = pinging on CA 91 octane = trying to run rich and pulling timing to compensate for pinging = not good = blown motor :lol: