PDA

View Full Version : Oil change during track events

Evo_Fanatic
10-22-2005, 02:40 AM
hi everyone,

I have always changed my oil before and after track events. I figure I spend about $50-60 on the oil and the filter. Is doing this overkill.

thanks

Evo442
10-22-2005, 05:06 AM
Yes, with today's modern synthetic oils, it probably is, imho.

I do change my oil after each track event and track it about 2 times per month. changing it before each event as well would be a waste for me.

Even changing it after each event is probably overkill, but its what I've been doing.

MarkSAE
10-22-2005, 06:19 AM
I would just move all your maintenance intervals up if you track your car regularly. So instead of changing your engine oil every 3k miles, just do it at 2-2.5k. I'm gonna change my drivetrain fluids every 7.5-8k miles instead of 15k.

I would bleed my brakes before every event though. And flush the fluid completely every 5-6 events.

Evo_Fanatic
10-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Is it very hard to bleed brakes. I do want to start doing more and more maintenance myself inorder to save money.

MarkSAE
10-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Bleeding the brakes is pretty easy if you know what you're doing. It's just very tedious on our cars since we have to bleed two nipples per corner. You also have to put the car up on four jackstands.

I prefer to just bleed my brakes the good ole fashioned way w/ someone pumping the pedal for me.

Evo442
10-22-2005, 04:59 PM
Is it very hard to bleed brakes. I do want to start doing more and more maintenance myself inorder to save money.

Get someone to show you how and its really pretty easy. I agree with Marksae, its a 2 man job. Just get your wife / gf trained right and you'll be all set!

smack
10-23-2005, 09:52 AM
i have to say that the motive power bleeder works great. i have one of the lame vacuum ones
and they suck(actually they don't suck and that's the problem). it's a tank(1 gal. maybe?)
that you put as much fluid in as you want and it has a handle to pump pressure
into the tank. it also has a pressure guage on it so you don't over pressure the
system(10 psi works fine)

then you just crack the bleeders and the fluid comes out. one man job and it works.
you can do one corner at a time if you have to as long as you do it in the right
order but i usually do it while i swap track wheels and have all corners off at
same the time.

Matz
10-23-2005, 12:17 PM
I had WORKS install my SpeedBleeder nipple replacements when I brought the car in for 15k service. Tyler seemed to think they made the bleeding job really easy.

www.speedbleeder.com

EVO GRIM
10-23-2005, 04:35 PM
Damn those look sweet. How mucho?

earlyapex
10-23-2005, 06:39 PM
be careful with the speedbleeders they have been known to leak air back in after awhile.

I change my oil after every event, and usually before every event if I'm not feeling lazy. I also put new spark plugs in, bleed my brakes or flush if needed. My GF hates sitting in the car and pushing the pedal down so I might have to try out my Motive bleeder again in the future.

Evo_Fanatic
10-23-2005, 09:08 PM
be careful with the speedbleeders they have been known to leak air back in after awhile.

I change my oil after every event, and usually before every event if I'm not feeling lazy. I also put new spark plugs in, bleed my brakes or flush if needed. My GF hates sitting in the car and pushing the pedal down so I might have to try out my Motive bleeder again in the future.

change your sparkplugs? what for..

earlyapex
10-23-2005, 10:03 PM
change your sparkplugs? what for..

Because I am anal about my car and they only cost $10.