PDA

View Full Version : Reno-Fernley: agreat day mostly

hagakure
10-23-2005, 08:55 AM
Well,

Yesterday at Reno Fernley was a hoot, mostly. NCE folks that showed up were myself, Bryan, Evan, Tam, Mike, and tony. Great weather, nice folks, and a fast track. With my new Muellerized suspension I put down a best of 1:30 flat with my laptimer, which did not record my laps from the last session. I was a ble to time off of the video recording of the sesion and captured a lap that was defintely a 1:29...was under 1:30 for sure. Will post the video when I can figure out how to do it!:) Bryan ran a 1:28+, I think Tony was around 1:30, Evan at 1:31. All excellent times for this track. Poor Tam's car decided not to cooperate, and spent much of the day on jack stands. We got to do an orientation lap around the new portion of the track,and WOW. It's going to be amazing, with 33 turns, lots of elevation gain and loss, etc. The Muellerized suspension was nothing short of a revelation, and in my opinion, anything else is a decided compromise for the racetrack. This suspension is MUCH more useful than more power, and anyone deciding between the two should choose the grip, control, and predictability over a turbo or other upgrades. I will start two other threads reviewing the muellerized set-up and my racing brake set-up respectively. By the way, last time I was at RF I ran a 1:36.....Good times.

Percy

Matz
10-23-2005, 09:13 AM
Sounds like you guys had fun, except for Tam :( I'd like to see the videos. If you need help, let me know. Do you have an MPEG4 encoder like DivX or Xvid? Or maybe try Windows Media. I can host the file if it's a reasonable size, or I think some people here can put the file on NCE (Tam did it with my crash video somehow).

Evo442
10-23-2005, 09:17 AM
Percy - glad you guys had a good time! I'm looking forward to your elaboration on the coilovers, specifically what felt different to you vs the Robispec setup.

You made a lot of changes since your last time at RF - coilovers, 2 piece rotors, ?LSD?. And I'm sure you have just gotten better since you were there previously. How much of your improvement would you attribute to the coilovers?

Cameron@xperformance
10-23-2005, 09:26 AM
so was brian the fastest of the day? or did he get beat by some miatas? :nana:

hagakure
10-23-2005, 11:56 AM

Brian had the 2nd fastest time of the day. No miatas in sight. the fastest time was a 1:25 by a very very experinced racer in a 375 WHP STI that was completely hooked up. I think my time was the 3rd fastest, but little matter, as there were only about 20 cars total. Don't want to get too fixated on lap times as well:)

hagakure
10-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Percy - glad you guys had a good time! I'm looking forward to your elaboration on the coilovers, specifically what felt different to you vs the Robispec setup.

You made a lot of changes since your last time at RF - coilovers, 2 piece rotors, ?LSD?. And I'm sure you have just gotten better since you were there previously. How much of your improvement would you attribute to the coilovers?

D,

I'm getting better all the time, but the coilovers were good for 4 seconds of my 7 second improvement. It's a no brainer. Do not pass go. Go straight to Road Race Chassis and have them hook you up. none of the compromise systems that involve springs are remotely worth it in my opinion. I would not even want to drive the car with the Works springs or the Robispec basic set-up after having gone with the Muellerized Buddy Club set-up. Straight up.

Percy

MarkSAE
10-23-2005, 12:02 PM

+1

I'm also curious about how much improvement is attributed to the coilovers and how much was due to the LSD.

What happened to Tam's car?

hagakure
10-23-2005, 03:46 PM

+1

I'm also curious about how much improvement is attributed to the coilovers and how much was due to the LSD.

Not sure what the problem is with Tam's car. He will be better able to explain later. Mark, the Coilovers are superior to any other entities set-up at this time for the Evo. I feel 100% confident in saying this. Yes, the diff made a difference as well, and my driving continues to improve exponentially...but the coilovers allow me to drive the car closer tot he limit without worrying about the car's dynamic shortcomings. I've improved my driving to the point where I know when the car is not doing what it should be doing...and now it is. turn-in happens right now, without inducing oversteer. My ride height is VERY low, with full suspension travel. No compromise in the spring rates either. the espelirs are WAAAY too soft for the race track. I can tell this now. The broken diff more than likely contributed to my relatively slow times at t-hill last time out, yes. frankly, I wasted $$ buying the previous compromise suspensions. The works and Robispec set-ups cost me 1/2 the price of the Muellerized Buddy Clubs....
I could have used that money for more power. It would have paid for the SAFC tuning and new injectors I will be adding this winter. So, you pay to play, but better to do it up front in my opinion, and I plan on making this sport, time trialing and soon racing, a lifetime pursuit. So, if you are serious, it's the way to go.

Percy

Evo442
10-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Who's gonna tune your SAFC? Will this be on top of your Works flash? Adding more boost?

hagakure
10-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Who's gonna tune your SAFC? Will this be on top of your Works flash? Adding more boost?

mueller. going to dump the flash and run two maps. am also going to learn to tune it myself as well.

Evo442
10-23-2005, 05:03 PM

mueller. going to dump the flash and run two maps. am also going to learn to tune it myself as well.

Ah... I've been tempted to do the same. utec is looking interesting to me...

earlyapex
10-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Great day at the track. To be honest, I was skeptical about reno-fernely short track but once we got there and I got warmed up I have to say it was a blast.

VERY fast track, but also much easier on tires and brakes than Thill. Once I got enough balls to not brake at all at the end of the front straight and enter the esses at approx 120mph the track really started flowing for me. After I pulled two 1:28's in a row I called it a day and told myself It's time for a roll-bar.

My best time of the day was 1:28.3

I am also happy to announce that I was the only evo and mitsubishi to not go off track all day. :oops: Haha, just giving you guys a hard time!

Was great to finally meet Tam, super bummer his car decided to not play that day. Hope you get it sorted it out Tam!

Percy.. where do I begin. I think he finally has his car set-up to where he is comfortable because he was blazing on Saturday! Huge improvement now that he isn't fighting the car, now his skills are showing.

Kevin's STI, that car is pretty damn fast, and when his friend was in it, it was supersonic. Great driver in a great-prepped car = the win, I tryed to play with him but he was approx 3 secs faster than me, and on a short course like Reno, I could only stay about a corner and a half behind him.

Now all I need is a cage, 300whp, Ohlins race coilovers and Alcon brakes like Kevin's STi to stay with it! 8)

It was fun playing with Tony like always, even better to see him flop around like a fish out of water right in front of me. I swear he had to be trying to save that thing by playing pinball with it for a good 5 secs! :shock:

Mike (dohcvtec) was flying in his Del Sol, he is pretty damn quick in a 130hp car.

Too bad everyone missed Tony and I play Dorifto on the skidpad in the afternoon. Evan too some photos of us so I'll post them when he sends them to me. Now I have to clean out the inside of my car from all the dust. 8)

All and all, a great day with great people! I cannot wait to get back to Reno Fernley track when the full track is open, that thing is AMAZING. It has the potential to be the most amazing track around. Can't wait!

pstevo8
10-23-2005, 05:52 PM

+1

Not sure what the problem is with Tam's car. He will be better able to explain later. Mark, the Coilovers are superior to any other entities set-up at this time for the Evo. I feel 100% confident in saying this. Yes, the diff made a difference as well, and my driving continues to improve exponentially...but the coilovers allow me to drive the car closer tot he limit without worrying about the car's dynamic shortcomings. I've improved my driving to the point where I know when the car is not doing what it should be doing...and now it is. turn-in happens right now, without inducing oversteer. My ride height is VERY low, with full suspension travel. No compromise in the spring rates either. the espelirs are WAAAY too soft for the race track. I can tell this now. The broken diff more than likely contributed to my relatively slow times at t-hill last time out, yes. frankly, I wasted $$ buying the previous compromise suspensions. The works and Robispec set-ups cost me 1/2 the price of the Muellerized Buddy Clubs....
I could have used that money for more power. It would have paid for the SAFC tuning and new injectors I will be adding this winter. So, you pay to play, but better to do it up front in my opinion, and I plan on making this sport, time trialing and soon racing, a lifetime pursuit. So, if you are serious, it's the way to go.

Percy

Percy:

I have been racing with Nasa for two years now. I am done with all of my power improvements, which is about 425 at the wheels. Now I am going to try and focus on the handling side of the car. I have talked with the people at muellerized, and I am certain that I am going to have them do what I want. I wanted to ask you if you looked into any of there other set-ups besided the buddyclub. I was looking at the JIC, or the buddyclub. Can you give me your thoughts on this, plus anything else that mueller can do to help things out.

My goals are similar to yours, being that I want to time trial and eventually get the race license.

Thanks

Bill

earlyapex
10-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Ah... I've been tempted to do the same. utec is looking interesting to me...

Take a look at ECU+ as well.

http://www.ecuplus.com/

earlyapex
10-23-2005, 05:57 PM
I was looking at the JIC, or the buddyclub. Can you give me your thoughts on this, plus anything else that mueller can do to help things out.

My goals are similar to yours, being that I want to time trial and eventually get the race license.

Thanks

Bill

Percy can add his own thoughts, but the buddy clubs are built much better than the JIC's and ride much better as well.

pstevo8
10-23-2005, 06:00 PM
I was looking at the JIC, or the buddyclub. Can you give me your thoughts on this, plus anything else that mueller can do to help things out.

Thanks

Bill

Percy can add his own thoughts, but the buddy clubs are built much better than the JIC's and ride much better as well.

One of these days, I am going to have to come out to one the events you guys attend, and maybe learn a thing or two. I have primarily gone to NASA events, but it seems like some of these other events offer more track time.

Bill

hagakure
10-23-2005, 06:00 PM

+1

Percy

Percy:

I have been racing with Nasa for two years now. I am done with all of my power improvements, which is about 425 at the wheels. Now I am going to try and focus on the handling side of the car. I have talked with the people at muellerized, and I am certain that I am going to have them do what I want. I wanted to ask you if you looked into any of there other set-ups besided the buddyclub. I was looking at the JIC, or the buddyclub. Can you give me your thoughts on this, plus anything else that mueller can do to help things out.

Thanks

Bill

Hey Bill....

In my opinion the build quality of the Buddy Clubs is FAR superior tot he JIC's and they are just as tunable. Mueller can set them up any way you want regarding your goals/skills. I can honestly say that regariding any further power or suspension upgrades Road Race Chassis gets ALL my business. PM if you have any specific questions.

P

hagakure
10-23-2005, 06:02 PM
Great day at the track. To be honest, I was skeptical about reno-fernely short track but once we got there and I got warmed up I have to say it was a blast.

VERY fast track, but also much easier on tires and brakes than Thill. Once I got enough balls to not brake at all at the end of the front straight and enter the esses at approx 120mph the track really started flowing for me. After I pulled two 1:28's in a row I called it a day and told myself It's time for a roll-bar.

My best time of the day was 1:28.3

I am also happy to announce that I was the only evo and mitsubishi to not go off track all day. :oops: Haha, just giving you guys a hard time!

Was great to finally meet Tam, super bummer his car decided to not play that day. Hope you get it sorted it out Tam!

Percy.. where do I begin. I think he finally has his car set-up to where he is comfortable because he was blazing on Saturday! Huge improvement now that he isn't fighting the car, now his skills are showing.

Mark's STI, that car is pretty damn fast, and when his friend was in it, it was supersonic. Great driver in a great-prepped car = the win, I tryed to play with him but he was approx 3 secs faster than me, and on a short course like Reno, I could only stay about a corner and a half behind him.

Now all I need is a cage, 300whp, Ohlins race coilovers and Alcon brakes like Mark's STi to stay with it! 8)

It was fun playing with Tony like always, even better to see him flop around like a fish out of water right in front of me. I swear he had to be trying to save that thing by playing pinball with it for a good 5 secs! :shock:

Mike (dohcvtec) was flying in his Del Sol, he is pretty damn quick in a 130hp car.

Too bad everyone missed Tony and I play Dorifto on the skidpad in the afternoon. Evan too some photos of us so I'll post them when he sends them to me. Now I have to clean out the inside of my car from all the dust. 8)

All and all, a great day with great people! I cannot wait to get back to Reno Fernley track when the full track is open, that thing is AMAZING. It has the potential to be the most amazing track around. Can't wait!

Bryan,

thanks so much! I've been working hard at it! It's been great fun chasing you and Tony and Evan this year! Indeed a great group of folks and a great day!

methods4
10-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Definitely a great day. I was a little skeptical of RFR because of the 2.2mi short course too. What made it fun was the high speed front and back straights. I was well into 5th gear on both of those straights.

Percy has definitely improved his driving skills and finally has real suspension for his car. Not just glorified springs/alignment on *stock* shocks. :-) Nice driving for sure though. It was fun when Percy, Bryan and I were all battling it out.

Bryan fast as usual. Makes me realize how much I'm needing more power and tire. He can power oversteer with ease on the skidpad while I couldn't. He and Percy pulled on me down the straights like I was driving a Miata. Bryan was 1.5 secs faster than me at T-hill and now 2 seconds faster than me at RFR. Bastard.

Mike. I really did feel bad for dive bombing you but I had run like 3 low 1:30s in a row and knew that one was going to be in the 29s so the adrenaline clouded my judgement. Anyways, Pai Gow for life.

Evan. Thanks for the obscene amount of track debris! Heheh. jk. I was actually off the track already when it happened.

Tam. Let us know if the problem was really a boost leak. I personally think you should swap to a stock ECU just to see if it's a problem with the tune.

So I ended up with a 1:30.2 for the day. I am sure I was to be in the 29s if I didn't end my day early after almost taking Mike's Del Slo out. Dinner was good only because it was with Tam, Mike and his GF, and Bryan. Otherwise it was the most average tasting $30 steak I've ever had. :wink:

So.....Who wants to sell me some 275 R compounds? 225s are *not* keeping up with the joneses anymore. :shock:

dohcvtec
10-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Reno was a blast. That track is definately a horsepower track, something my Honda lacks right now. The car was performing better than I expected, so I can't complain much. It was her first day back at the track since the motor went in July. All of you Evo's were just friggin owning me on those straights. I was only able to pass one Evo the entire day, Tam, when his car started having issues. I think I was just more of an obsticle for everyone else. Haha. My best time for the day was a 1:36. The car is definately handling and braking well, but the 1.6L motor is just not enough. It was entertaining to see Tam and Percy go off on turn 7 (?) on the first lap, I decided not to follow that line :P . I agree with Bryan, once I had the balls to enter turn 1 at 120 with no brakes, the rest seemed to come together well. I never quite figured out the fastest way through the bowl. The final session was 1 hour long. It started out with about 6 cars out there, then I soon noticed it was only me and one other car out there. I think I drove for 35 minutes straight, which was a lot for my final session. I felt like I had the whole dang track to myself! :) The new portion of the track will be nuts when it opens. The initial hill climb is quite interesting involving 4 turns on your way up. There appears to be quite a few different configurations they could potentially setup for that track. I can't imagine how tough it will be to get 4.1 miles and 33 turns down in a day.

Tony, no hard feelings about your attempt to pass me in that last turn (15?). I saw you coming and knew what you were doing, I just wish I had it on camera. :) You made up for it by teaching me Pai Gao Poker. Just remember next time you can't take the Honda in the braking zone. ;)

Percy, you have improved immensely since the last time I was on track with you. Its good to see you finally have that car sorted out how you want it.

Bryan, you were hauling ass man. I think you can take Kevin's STi in short time. :)

Bonnie, thanks for putting together such a great event. I'll be driving with you guys in the future for sure.

I have some incar from the weekend, I'll see if I can get some clips of me being passed by Evo's. haha. I don't think I really got anything very exciting since there were so few cars out there.

crctslt
10-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Definitely a great day. I was a little skeptical of RFR because of the 2.2mi short course too. What made it fun was the high speed front and back straights. I was well into 5th gear on both of those straights.

Percy has definitely improved his driving skills and finally has real suspension for his car. Not just glorified springs/alignment on *stock* shocks. :-) Nice driving for sure though. It was fun when Percy, Bryan and I were all battling it out.

Bryan fast as usual. Makes me realize how much I'm needing more power and tire. He can power oversteer with ease on the skidpad while I couldn't. He and Percy pulled on me down the straights like I was driving a Miata. Bryan was 1.5 secs faster than me at T-hill and now 2 seconds faster than me at RFR. Bastard.

Mike. I really did feel bad for dive bombing you but that I had run like 3 low 1:30s in a row and knew that one was going to be in the 29s so the adrenaline clouded my judgement. Anyways, Pai Gow for life.

Evan. Thanks for the obscene amount of track debris! Heheh. jk. I was actually off the track already when it happened.

Tam. Let us know if the problem was really a boost leak. I personally think you should swap to a stock ECU just to see if it's a problem with the tune.

So I ended up with a 1:30.2 for the day. I am sure I was to be in the 29s if I didn't end my day early after almost taking Mike's Del Slo out. Dinner was good only because it was with Tam, Mike and his GF, and Bryan. Otherwise it was the most average tasting $30 steak I've ever had. :wink:

So.....Who wants to sell me some 275 R compounds? 225s are *not* keeping up with the joneses anymore. :shock:

I told all of you guys that it is a good track. I'm glad you got a chance to find out for yourselves.

It was great to be out with all the NCE guys. Congrats on all the fast times. Tam I hope you get the car figured out. Please do let us know what the problem is when you find out. It is most puzzling.

I can personally report that it is not faster to completely bypass turn 7 by going straight from turn 6 to turn 8. Maybe I can get a "most debris on the track" award :)

For those of you that may buy race gas in the metal 5 gal. cans, they do not seal down properly if you try to re-use them. I tried and my car was full of gas fumes on the drive up. I had to drive over Donner Summit with my windows rolled down in 30 degree outside temps :( I have never had a headache that bad in my entire life. It lasted through part of the next day. Sorta put a damper on my day.

I would like to second Percy's endorsement of Road Race Chassis. I have Meullerized JIC's on my 2g Eclipse and I can't say enough nice things about them. The car is a pleasure to drive, both on and off the track. If you are serious about the handling of your car please do yourself a favor and call John. He will give you the straight dope. No exaggerations just results.

vtluu
10-24-2005, 01:52 AM
I drove home today, and my friend came over and we did a boost pressure test to see if there were any leaks in the intake/IC system. It didn't take long to find the problem. This is the "soft" pipe that connects to the hard pipe leading directly from the turbo:

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album06/imgp1805.jpg

Here's a close-up of the hole:

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album06/imgp1805a.jpg

Here's a look from the inside of the pipe:

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album06/imgp1809.jpg

Damn. I think I'm going make a point of bringing a boost pressure tester with me, if I'd found this yesterday I might have been able to fix it and run today. Anyway we installed the new Nisei IC pipes that I received on Friday--but didn't have time to install before the event. I wish I would have brought them with me. :oops:

EVO GRIM
10-24-2005, 07:09 AM
That sucks Tam. Glad it wasn't something major.

Unowned
10-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Anyway we installed the new Nisei IC pipes that I received on Friday--but didn't have time to install before the event. I wish I would have brought them with me. :oops:

Awh you got your pipes already? what finish did you buy. I believe my Raw finished pipes are on hold :(

vtluu
10-24-2005, 09:30 AM
I got the pipes with the clear-anodized finish. The first batch just came in and in fact I may be one of the first to get them since I was one of the first to put down a deposit. They look great, fitment is excellent, and installation was pretty easy except that they didn't come with any instructions and it took us a little while to figure out that the metal "bar" it came with was for relocating the boost control solenoid forward (towards the front of the car) about 4 inches.

I forgot to mention: Percy and Mike, it was great to see you again; Percy I still have your jack stands BTW (if you need them back soon I can just order you up an identical set from Harbor Freight). Bryan, Tony, Evan, it was great to meet you guys, next time I won't have all the boost leaking out and you won't be able to pull on me like that in the straights! ;)

earlyapex
10-24-2005, 10:00 AM
Glad it was a minor problem Tam!

hagakure
10-24-2005, 10:06 AM
I got the pipes with the clear-anodized finish. The first batch just came in and in fact I may be one of the first to get them since I was one of the first to put down a deposit. They look great, fitment is excellent, and installation was pretty easy except that they didn't come with any instructions and it took us a little while to figure out that the metal "bar" it came with was for relocating the boost control solenoid forward (towards the front of the car) about 4 inches.

I forgot to mention: Percy and Mike, it was great to see you again; Percy I still have your jack stands BTW (if you need them back soon I can just order you up an identical set from Harbor Freight). Bryan, Tony, Evan, it was great to meet you guys, next time I won't have all the boost leaking out and you won't be able to pull on me like that in the straights! ;)

Tam,

I'll get the stands from you at the next event...come on out to the 11/19 NCRC event at T-hill...ALL you guys should come out. there will be transponder timing and a time trial...should be fun.

P

dohcvtec
10-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Tam, glad it was something that minor.

Percy, I don't think I'll be going to the NCRC event, but I am planning on the 11/10 event with NASA. Are you still considering that event also?

hagakure
10-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Tam, glad it was something that minor.

Percy, I don't think I'll be going to the NCRC event, but I am planning on the 11/10 event with NASA. Are you still considering that event also?

Not sure, but I'll keep you posted. Promised my wife I would only do one more event in 2005...so I have to choose:)!

P

redvolution
10-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Percy,

Why didn't you go with the Muellerized Ohlins? Obviously they're $800 more expensive but I want to know if you had any other reasons...

Bonster
10-24-2005, 08:09 PM

***I only got a 1:36 (an approximate time from one of the flaggers and his stop watch) . . . but, in my selfish defense, I wasn't running like I was racing, was trying to keep the event in check, and only had a grand total of TWO sessions in my car those two days. I did have fun tearing up a BMW M3s stock tires one session, though. Lol. Shoot -- I forgot to whore a drive in an Evo. CRAP. Ah, well . . . oh! Forgot . . . I did get to drive a turbo charged Miata Sunday -- I got that sucker wound up to 110 at the approach of the esses (just after start finish). It had stocker brakes, so I had to be kinda careful . . . oh MAN I love turbos. Didn't get a lap time in it, but I'm betting it was going a few seconds faster. Bummer thing is, the MAP thingee (I'm not a turbo tuner, just love to drive them) was messing up and the car would heat up too much if you got heavy on the boost for more than a lap or two . . . but it was damn fun! WEEEE!!!! :D

You guys were a really FUN crowd, despite the boo-boos here and there. Bummer we didn't have more, but that will probably come with time. I truly enjoyed talking to you all about your cars a bit when I could, and I was very impressed about how much you seemed to have learned by the end of the day. I'm really sad about the white and red car with the Canada leaf . . . (Tam???) We are already in for a couple of weekender 2006 events, so keep up to date. ;) The Canada car will get a special discount because I feel bad that he missed the fun on Sunday. Don't tell anyone!!! I don't want folks to think I'm nice. ;)

BW

Bonster
10-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Bonnie, thanks for putting together such a great event. I'll be driving with you guys in the future for sure.

***Actually, this was only about "7/10s" of what a normal TEAM event is like. Just thought I would let you all know. There are a lot of organizational faults with that track's management team. Oh, well -- with all of our help, they will likely get better. I defintely had a nice long talk with the 'powers that be' after our event. They really need to get their stuff together if they want a better turnout, if you ask me. But once we were out there and the flaggers, etc., got used to my strict, yet friendly (I hope!) style of running a track event, it seemed to me that every one had a blast -- and oh my GOD -- that is exactly why I love putting this stuff on.

If anyone has any advice on how to make it even better, don't hesitate to email me and let me know. I love to see you smile (and drool, and drift, and . . . oh, you know!). :D

BW

earlyapex
10-24-2005, 08:24 PM
I think it went great for a track with such currently limited resources.

This was my second TEAM event and they have both been great.

I did REALLY like the added track time this event presented. I have to say, 20 min sessions are a tad short, even on a short track like reno. But, the reno event made up for it since we got more sessions.

I would absolutely love it if you moved to 25min sessions. That's the one thing I love about the GGLC events, 30 min sessions.

It also gives you and your car a longer break inbetween sessions.

Bonster
10-24-2005, 08:32 PM
I would absolutely love it if you moved to 25min sessions. That's the one thing I love about the GGLC events, 30 min sessions.

It also gives you and your car a longer break inbetween sessions.

***We started out with 25-minute sessions, a few years back. The problem was mostly that the folks with forced induction had ECU, programming -- that jazz you all know about that I only hear about -- issues that caused their cars to overheat and such. We keep it limited as well to prevent driver fatigue, especially at the novice and intermediate level. I might consider doing some 25-minute sessions in the mornings, though. Seems a good time for everyone . . . but in the afternoons, I really feel that it is safer for both car and driver to run 20-minute sessions.

The only thing with this revised schedule (we usually run three groups) that I didn't like is that we only have about 15 minutes between sessions. When I go to a race testing day, they do 30 minutes with the open wheelers, 30 with the fenders. BUT -- we are all licensed racers . . . so we have been around the block (in more ways than one, unfortunately). Not everyone that signs up for a private event like ours is aware of mechanical empathy or potential fatigue issues.

So . . . that's a really good idea, and I will see if I can't revise the schedule to at least advance the morning sessions to 25 minutes . . . see how nice I am, Bryan? Lol. ;)

BW

MarkSAE
10-24-2005, 09:09 PM
I drove home today, and my friend came over and we did a boost pressure test to see if there were any leaks in the intake/IC system. It didn't take long to find the problem. This is the "soft" pipe that connects to the hard pipe leading directly from the turbo:

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album06/imgp1805.jpg

Here's a close-up of the hole:

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album06/imgp1805a.jpg

Here's a look from the inside of the pipe:

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album06/imgp1809.jpg

Damn. I think I'm going make a point of bringing a boost pressure tester with me, if I'd found this yesterday I might have been able to fix it and run today. Anyway we installed the new Nisei IC pipes that I received on Friday--but didn't have time to install before the event. I wish I would have brought them with me. :oops:

Was that hose rubbing against anything?

hagakure
10-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Percy,

Why didn't you go with the Muellerized Ohlins? Obviously they're $800 more expensive but I want to know if you had any other reasons...

After seeing the quality of the buddy clubs, and knowing that they are basically custom coilovers with RRC's own valving and other secret rebuilt parts....I did not need to spend the other 800.00.

That can go for some SAFC tuning this winter.

dohcvtec
10-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Thought I would share some incar of me getting owned by some Evo's. :) Fear my 1.6L of FURY!!! :P
ftp://ftp.westcoastbeauty.com/pub/mike/meAndNceFolksReno.wmv

Bonster
10-24-2005, 09:30 PM
[quote="dohcvtec"]Fear my 1.6L of FURY!!!

***You GO boy!!! ROFL. This from a fellow 1.6 litre, low hp engine . . . "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!!!" Hey . . . don't forget though . . . I have litreally passed Corvettes and GT2s owned by folks who cannot drive. You just need more seat time, my pal . . . you'll be whoopin' butt in no time if you just keep it simple and in your zone. My only problem is that half of the students I have had wind up kicking my butt! I gotta either grow a "set" or stop giving my secrets away. Point is, dohc (can't remember which guy you were . . . ???) . . . I bet you will kick my butt if I gave you a few lessons . . . LOL!!! Dang kids! ;)

BW

crctslt
10-24-2005, 10:10 PM
Thought I would share some incar of me getting owned by some Evo's. :) Fear my 1.6L of FURY!!! :P

OMG DIVE BOMBARZ!1!! :P
Nice Vid Mike :)

MarkSAE
10-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Nice video! Wow, that looks like a really fast track. Now I'm all pumped to go to the track again. Two more weeks!

vtluu
10-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Was that hose rubbing against anything?
As far as I could tell, no. Anyway if you look at it, it doesn't look like the rupture started on the outside.

Bonni: thanks for organizing this event; I wish it could have gone better for me but oh well, that's racing: sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes your car blows up. :lol: Oh well, there'll be a next time...

dohcvtec
10-25-2005, 12:20 AM
Here are two more clips:

ftp://ftp.westcoastbeauty.com/pub/mike/meAndNceFolksReno1.wmv
ftp://ftp.westcoastbeauty.com/pub/mike/meAndNceFolksReno2.wmv

Richard EVO
10-25-2005, 12:56 AM
Nice videos. It takes some cajones to post vids in which you get passed by 20 cars for every 1 you pass. J/K :wink:

I love that track. It looks great and I can't wait to get back out there again. :D

earlyapex
10-25-2005, 12:56 AM

Damn your server is fast! 200kb/sec! :shock:

earlyapex
10-25-2005, 01:11 AM
Here are two more clips:

That's it, I need to make my car look different than Tony's a little bit, I can't tell which silver evo passing you is me. :lol:

Haha, that damn mustang cobra! You see me going all over the place trying to get him to let me pass his ass. haha. I love how he can't pull on you in the straight too. :lol:

dohcvtec
10-25-2005, 10:09 AM
Here are two more clips:

That's it, I need to make my car look different than Tony's a little bit, I can't tell which silver evo passing you is me. :lol:

Ya, I have the same problem when you guys were behind me. I can't tell until one of you passes me. The video isn't that sharp because there was funk on my windsheild.

Haha, that damn mustang cobra! You see me going all over the place trying to get him to let me pass his ass. haha. I love how he can't pull on you in the straight too. :lol:
Ya, that fucker. I was trying to get by him for like 2 laps. Finally was able to out brake him in that straight. His mighty V8 against my teeny 4 banger, I thought for sure he would pull on me in the straights but never did. :P

Bonster
10-25-2005, 10:14 AM
The Corvette and the Cobra are a father and son 'team.' They are actually really nice guys -- all you'd have had to do was mention it to either them or me and you wouldn't have had to deal with that problem. They tend to take open passing seriously -- don't need to be shy about it around those two (they both race, btw). Don't wait until a straight to pass them . . . take 'em wherever you can. ;)

But from now on, anytime you have a problem with any driver at one of our events, please just come and let me know. I'll take care of it for you -- that's my job. I want you to have the best time ever at our events -- you earned it! :)

BW

earlyapex
10-25-2005, 10:18 AM
But from now on, anytime you have a problem with any driver at one of our events, please just come and let me know. I'll take care of it for you -- that's my job. I want you to have the best time ever at our events -- you earned it! :)

BW

Naw, it was fun to have a challenge. :) He needs stiffer suspension though, I would see his whole underbody when he would brake hard! haha

dohcvtec
10-25-2005, 10:19 AM
The Corvette and the Cobra are a father and son 'team.' They are actually really nice guys -- all you'd have had to do was mention it to either them or me and you wouldn't have had to deal with that problem. They tend to take open passing seriously -- don't need to be shy about it around those two (they both race, btw). Don't wait until a straight to pass them . . . take 'em wherever you can. ;)

BW
I wouldn't say it was a problem, just more along the lines of trash talking. :) I enjoyed plotting to pass him. I had him setup from the exit of turn 5 down to the end of that straight because I noticed he was braking way earlier than I do for that turn.

Bonster
10-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Okay, good then. But don't forget about my comments at future events -- if someone's being a jerk or whatever, just let me know. I wasn't going very fast on Saturday . . . too much on my mind . . . but I could tell that you guys were going at a pretty respectable clip. I am not sure if I'd be able to catch ya! :D

BW

earlyapex
10-25-2005, 10:28 AM
but I could tell that you guys were going at a pretty respectable clip. I am not sure if I'd be able to catch ya! :D

BW

Speaking of which, what's a good time on that track? I ran a 1:28.3 as my best.

vtluu
10-25-2005, 11:38 AM
1:28 is a very good time; here are the last NCRC time trial results: http://www.ncracing.org/tt/Results_2005/rslt_050423_cl.html

Different day, different conditions (track hadn't been resurfaced), etc. but NCRC's drivers are usually pretty competent.

dohcvtec
10-25-2005, 11:54 AM
1:28 is a very good time; here are the last NCRC time trial results: http://www.ncracing.org/tt/Results_2005/rslt_050423_cl.html

Different day, different conditions (track hadn't been resurfaced), etc. but NCRC's drivers are usually pretty competent.
Wow, so my 1:36 doesn't look so bad...

earlyapex
10-25-2005, 12:00 PM

Wow, I beat Jack Olsen??? He is a killer driver, he just clicked off a 2:01 at thill with bypass, 2:04.5 with cyclone.

hagakure
10-25-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm thrilled with my official 1:30 flat off my laptimer...got a faster lap than that off the video when my tmer crapped out on me....but will take the "official" time. I cannot wait to get back out to T-hill and let it rip! I'm gunning for your 2:05 Bryan!

Percy

Bonster
10-25-2005, 02:20 PM
I'm thrilled with my official 1:30 flat off my laptimer...

Percy

***Wait a minute . . . there was a beacon out? I had no idea . . . I didn't even time myself. I was out of it Saturday anyway, so it wouldn't have been worth the effort for me. Sunday I must have had some great times right before lunch . . . I'm female, which equates to a bit timid at times, so I was still slower than some might be -- but I was rather proud when my car hit 100 IN the esses. Holy CRAP that was fun! I'm still wondering where my stomach went. :) What I want to concentrate on next time is keeping my foot to the floor all the way to turn 5 . . . I've got a friend who claims they can get their Spec Miata up to 130 just before braking for that turn. I think she's full of it, but I've gotta try sometime and see if it's possible. I didn't even know Miatas went 130.

Anywho . . . you guys all have been posting amazing times. Just imagine if you'd stayed the second day . . . :)

BW

earlyapex
10-25-2005, 02:33 PM
***Wait a minute . . . there was a beacon out? I had no idea . . .

Yup, Evan set up his long-acre hot lap beacon out trackside since alot of us are running their timing units.

but I was rather proud when my car hit 100 IN the esses. Holy CRAP that was fun! I'm still wondering where my stomach went. :)

Try going through the esses at 125+mph. :shock: I need a rollbar before doing that again. :oops:

What I want to concentrate on next time is keeping my foot to the floor all the way to turn 5 . . . I've got a friend who claims they can get their Spec Miata up to 130 just before braking for that turn. I think she's full of it, but I've gotta try sometime and see if it's possible. I didn't even know Miatas went 130.

I was almost hitting redline in 5th at the end of the front straight before letting off a tad for the esses, I think redline in 5th in my car is approx 130mph, so i would let off a bit, no brakes and enter the esses around 125+mph, although I could have probably hit it a bit faster. The I would get on the gas again after the first turn of the esses, I had no idea what speed I was carrying before braking for turn 5 though as I never looked at my speedo there.

I was actually getting a higher topspeed on the back section, having been full WOT from T7 all the way to T12. I was almost hitting my rev limiter in 5th before braking for T12. Which is probably up around 140mph.

hagakure
10-25-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm thrilled with my official 1:30 flat off my laptimer...

Percy

***Wait a minute . . . there was a beacon out? I had no idea . . . I didn't even time myself. I was out of it Saturday anyway, so it wouldn't have been worth the effort for me. Sunday I must have had some great times right before lunch . . . I'm female, which equates to a bit timid at times, so I was still slower than some might be -- but I was rather proud when my car hit 100 IN the esses. Holy CRAP that was fun! I'm still wondering where my stomach went. :) What I want to concentrate on next time is keeping my foot to the floor all the way to turn 5 . . . I've got a friend who claims they can get their Spec Miata up to 130 just before braking for that turn. I think she's full of it, but I've gotta try sometime and see if it's possible. I didn't even know Miatas went 130.

Anywho . . . you guys all have been posting amazing times. Just imagine if you'd stayed the second day . . . :)

BW

I think you are right...she is full of it.....I was taking it in DEEEEP and braking late before turn five, down from about 125 or so....so I doubt she was going that fast...unless she was running lap times in the 1:30-32 range...

Percy

vtluu
10-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Maybe she meant 130 km/h? :lol:

smack
10-25-2005, 03:05 PM
damn, sounds like i missed a great time. how did the gas situation pan out?
so did you guys just bite the bullet and pay for 100 at the track?
percy, glad to hear your car setup is coming along nicely.
sounds like i'm going to be slow man out there when i see you guys again :cry:

hey brian, when did you turn a 2:05 at t-hill? no bypass? does the extra pavement help a bit?

if you guys are bored you can come out to the audi event at sears next thurs-fri.

Bonster
10-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Maybe she meant 130 km/h? :lol:

***Yeah, really. I mean, you guys know how much I love my little racecar, but comeon, reality is reality. I'm not a bad (about mid-pack) SM racer, either . . . but I've been dealing with Miatas since 1991 . . . never heard of an NA Miata going that fast.

BTW -- on Sunday I took a turbo Miata through the esses at about the same speed, but my top speed was a (modest -- wasn't my car!) 115! Holy crap -- it could have gone much faster, but it kept getting hot when I put full boost down. I didn't feel like buying it. ;) My bet is that the thing will definitely do 130. I'd love to find out . . . oh, well. :P

BW

earlyapex
10-25-2005, 03:21 PM
damn, sounds like i missed a great time. how did the gas situation pan out?
so did you guys just bite the bullet and pay for 100 at the track?
percy, glad to hear your car setup is coming along nicely.
sounds like i'm going to be slow man out there when i see you guys again :cry:

hey brian, when did you turn a 2:05 at t-hill? no bypass? does the extra pavement help a bit?

if you guys are bored you can come out to the audi event at sears next thurs-fri.

Yea I bit the bullet and payed $7.00 a gallon for 100 octane, 110 leaded was "only" $6.00 a gallon, but I was running pretty rich already because of the higher altitude so I didn't get 110 leaded. I leaned out my SAFC 5-6 points across the map and was still only hitting 810c EGT's. I also raised my boost about 2psi since I lost 2psi from the elevation. I also forgot to lean out my low-throttle map in one session and I would get rich hiccups if I was on part throttle so I either had to be no-throttle or full WOT, which actually helped me since I ran my first 1:28 that session. 8)

I ran a 2:05 with the bypass at the last GGLC club. I never timed myself running the bypass before so I'm not sure how much I improved. It is a faster track now, I was till running the same line I usually do and not using the extra run-off space everywhere but my brain saw the extra run-off space everywhere so I was driving with more confidence. :D

BTW, I killed my PF 2-piece rotors after 6 track events this year. I put my stockers back on for this event and my braking was steller at Reno, even with the PF pads I had been using all year (3rd set).

I'm on track to do about 8 events this year.

Bonster
10-25-2005, 03:25 PM
I've been to Thunderhill about a thousand times, so I can say with reasonable confidence that if you ran 2:05 with the bypass, you're probably running about a 2:07 over the Eagles Nest. My best time over the top was a 2:12 so far, 2:09:50 with the bypass. The fastest SM guys run the top at 2:08 (Justin Hall hit a 2:07:54!) and about 2:05 with the bypass. Your Evo times are kick-ass. :D

BW

leif
10-25-2005, 03:55 PM

link? i <3 that track.

smack
10-25-2005, 05:14 PM

link? i <3 that track.

http://www.audiclubgoldengate.org/pages/events.html#searspoint

crctslt
10-25-2005, 11:17 PM
Here are two more clips:

Mike thanks for posting the vids. 8) I love your pass on that Mustang. Was that guy supercharged? I thought I heard compressor whine coming from his car but I didn't really pay attention.

Bonster
10-25-2005, 11:20 PM
Mike thanks for posting the vids. 8) I love your pass on that Mustang. Was that guy supercharged? I thought I heard compressor whine coming from his car but I didn't really pay attention.

***It was a "Cobra-powered" Mustang . . . hope that answers your guys' question, as I have no clue as to whether or not it has an SC. BTW, the dude driving it is in his 60s -- you all should be ashamed for picking on an old man like that. Lol. ;)

BW

Bonster
10-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Mike . . . those videos have a really clear shot of the track. Can I recommend them as a candidate to the track for a new video? They've only got the 1.6 mile track on the site, apparently.

BW

dohcvtec
10-26-2005, 09:55 AM
Mike . . . those videos have a really clear shot of the track. Can I recommend them as a candidate to the track for a new video? They've only got the 1.6 mile track on the site, apparently.

BW
Sure, I don't mind as long as they can host it on their own. :)

dohcvtec
10-26-2005, 09:56 AM
Here are two more clips:

Ya, that was the only way I was ever giong to make it past him. :) I think I got you passing me on the front straight in one of those. Then you eventually lose me. Damn turbos! :lol:

Wow, he's 60? I hope I'm still doing this when I'm 60.

earlyapex
10-26-2005, 11:03 AM
***It was a "Cobra-powered" Mustang . . . hope that answers your guys' question, as I have no clue as to whether or not it has an SC. BTW, the dude driving it is in his 60s -- you all should be ashamed for picking on an old man like that. Lol. ;)

BW

It looked like a 96+ 4.6L DOHC cobra mustang. No supercharger. They are heavy and slow in todays terms. The 95 Cobra Mustang still had the 5.0L and I heard is much faster and easier to mod, but I really don't know or care much about mustangs. 8)

hagakure
10-26-2005, 11:45 AM
Here are two more clips:

Ya, that was the only way I was ever giong to make it past him. :) I think I got you passing me on the front straight in one of those. Then you eventually lose me. Damn turbos! :lol:

There are a lot of fast 60 years olds....did you talk with the guy in the honda challenge civic? He is at least 60, and this is his first year racing. He's pretty damn fast too!

Percy

dohcvtec
10-26-2005, 11:47 AM
Here are two more clips:

There are a lot of fast 60 years olds....did you talk with the guy in the honda challenge civic? He is at least 60, and this is his first year racing. He's pretty damn fast too!

Percy
Ya, that crazy old man passed me in the toilet bowl :shock: He was a very good driver.

earlyapex
10-26-2005, 12:00 PM
Percy

Yea he was really cool. I was talking to him for a bit. He has about 15 events on his RA1's so far. Damn I want a light car that is easy on tires and brakes!

He built that honda challenge car for $15,000, including the super nice trailer he had for it.

He kept asking us if we had any extra horsepower we could give him. ahha.

Bonster
10-26-2005, 01:19 PM
The Cobra was born in 1994 . . . FYI.

BW

earlyapex
10-26-2005, 02:17 PM
The Cobra was born in 1994 . . . FYI.

BW

Yea you're right, the 94 and 95 cobra where 5.0L

1994 / 1995 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
5.0L
3345lbs
240hp / 285ft-lbs

96+
4.6L
3404lbs
305hp / 300ft-lbs

vtluu
10-26-2005, 06:59 PM
240hp out of a 5.0L engine, what are they, retarded? :shock:

Bonster
10-26-2005, 08:45 PM
240hp out of a 5.0L engine, what are they, retarded? :shock:

***Sweetie . . . it's a FORD . . . need I say more?!? Lol. I can do Chevys and Dodges, but not Fords . . . unless you are talking about a Shelby Cobra 427 SC . . . that must be the only Ford I could ever imagine desiring. I hope I didn't piss anyone off whom uses a Ford as a tow vehicle. Lol. :roll:

BW

vtluu
10-26-2005, 09:01 PM
I dunno, if someone gave me a new Ford GT, I wouldn't say no...

I'd sell it and buy a Ferrari. :lol:

earlyapex
10-26-2005, 10:15 PM

Funny thing is the Ford GT is probably built better then the Ferrari. :shock:

dohcvtec
10-26-2005, 10:30 PM

Blasphemy!!

vtluu
10-27-2005, 12:25 AM
Funny, I don't remember all of some model of Ferrari being recalled (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/ford_gt.html) a few months after being on the market and owners being instructed not to drive them under any condition.

Richard EVO
10-27-2005, 10:18 AM
I saw a Ford GT on the street for the first time yesterday. WOW. Seeing it at an auto show or in pictures doesn't do it justice. You gotta see and hear it flying down the road to appreciate it. 8)

earlyapex
10-27-2005, 11:19 AM
Funny, I don't remember all of some model of Ferrari being recalled (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/ford_gt.html) a few months after being on the market and owners being instructed not to drive them under any condition.

Ask the guy at NSX files how much he likes his Ferrari. :?