PDA

View Full Version : Review Of Muellerized Buddy Clubs

hagakure
10-23-2005, 05:44 PM
I've been posting snippets of my impressions of my new Muellerized suspension (Buddy Clubs) in a few other threads, but here is a dedicated review. First of all, spring rates and specific technical information is proprietary, and you will need to speak directly with John Mueller regarding these issues. Suffice it to say, the spring rates are fairly heavy, front and rear, but ride on the road is EXCELLENT, definitely better than stock, even though it is firmer. The dampning and spring rates are perfectly mated. On the racetrak the suspension performed flawlessly. the biggest noticeble advantage was that the car now takes a controlled set that is not affected by slop and body roll. In high speed corners the car is on rails. I have to concentrate more fully on late apexing each corner, as the tendency is just to point and shoot, as the car turns so well. This set-up will reward patient and smooth driving. the car does not understeer. It does not oversteer. It is the definition of Nuetral. I am able to more accurately control the attitude of the car with throtle and brakes now, becaus ethese two things, throttle and brake, SERVE the handling and suspension rather than become necessary whips to MAKE the car do what it needs to do. So, in short the brakes, throttle and suspension are working in harmony.

As noted before, I improved my lap time at Reno Fernley by 7 seconds, that on a 2.4 mile track. Granted I have a quaife now, and I am a better driver than I was in June, but the suspension was easily worth 3-4 seconds, as With my previous Robispec "budget" set-up and works "basic" set-up the car was oversteery and understeering respectfully.

It could be argued that any coilover system might have yielded the same results, but I am skeptical. After hanging out with John and crew at thunderhill last thu, I was amazed at the attention to detail that is put into the tuning of each custom suspension they do. Copious amounts of research, data collection and testing have yielded suspension systems that are second to none, with the tangible, quantifiable results to prove the efficacy of the product. cannot wait to go to thunderhill on 11/19 with NCRC and shoot for a PR!

earlyapex
10-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Percy, I forgot to ask you at Reno saturday, but did you also get bushings done as well?

wilson1
10-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Sounds good, Percy!

Do you know if the motons are any different than the buddy clubs?

earlyapex
10-23-2005, 06:37 PM
Sounds good, Percy!

Totally different league of coilovers. And about twice as much.

wilson1
10-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Sounds good, Percy!

Totally different league of coilovers. And about twice as much.

Bryan,

Which Ohlins were you referring to in your other Reno Fernley thread?

hagakure
10-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Percy, I forgot to ask you at Reno saturday, but did you also get bushings done as well?

Hey B,

I had bushings done before, and only the lower control arm (rear).
I will be putting in bumpsteer correction this winter.

earlyapex
10-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Bryan,

Which Ohlins were you referring to in your other Reno Fernley thread?

On Kevin's STi? I believe he is running race-ohlins now. I didn't take a good luck at his car to see if he is using remote-reseviors or not.

wilson1
10-23-2005, 07:20 PM
I will be putting in bumpsteer correction this winter.

Percy,

What does it consists of?

Cameron@xperformance
10-23-2005, 07:43 PM
cannot wait to go to thunderhill on 11/19 with NCRC and shoot for a PR!
cant wait to see them!

Unowned
10-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Wilson just buy the Buddy Clubs you will be as happy as Percy and I are with our sets :D

Evo442
10-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Damn! I'm so jealous! :D

wilson1
10-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Wilson just buy the Buddy Clubs you will be as happy as Percy and I are with our sets :D

I think i will do that, and not mess around! :D

Unowned
10-24-2005, 09:10 AM
Hey Percy, did you ask for a Street alignment or a Track only alignment? I currently have the Track only setup so i have really aggressive camber and Toe... (that's all the info i can divulge :))

I think i will do that, and not mess around! :D

That offer for the Ride is still active, get in touch with me

Also if anyone in the Bay Area wants to feel the Buddy Clubs, let me know or Ask Bryan (bdking) or Craig (Sackett) how they felt.

hagakure
10-24-2005, 10:08 AM
I've got a track allignment with some tweaks....not for the street though. I don't use the car as a street car. You should come out to t-hill with us sometime.

hagakure
10-24-2005, 10:09 AM

Just buy em man!

byt
10-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Sorry I'm a n00b to the whole Muellerized thing. I'm thinking this is a custom tuned suspension done by RRE? Would anyone mind providing a ballpark figure for such a setup? 8)

SouthernCrane
10-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Sorry I'm a n00b to the whole Muellerized thing. I'm thinking this is a custom tuned suspension done by RRE? Would anyone mind providing a ballpark figure for such a setup? 8)

More information can be found here : www.roadracechassis.com

byt
10-24-2005, 10:15 AM
thanks!

hagakure
10-24-2005, 10:22 AM

Ballpark 2300+

Unowned
10-24-2005, 11:27 AM
I've got a track allignment with some tweaks....not for the street though. I don't use the car as a street car. You should come out to t-hill with us sometime.

I'm planning to track real soon, still swapping items like pads, tires, fluids with good racing grade items. my first event is in Nov in Socal.

Unowned
10-24-2005, 11:28 AM

everything is listed on their website under products

byt
10-24-2005, 02:34 PM
everything is listed on their website under products

Yup, found it. I was looking on RRE when I should have been at RRC :oops:

wilson1
10-24-2005, 06:46 PM
That offer for the Ride is still active, get in touch with me

for sure!! :D

Evo442
10-24-2005, 07:21 PM

Just buy em man!

Yeah, I've been cursing your name ever since I read your review. I've even started to look for time in my schedule when I can get down to Scal and have him work on my car. How long did the install take, anyway? GRRR.... I think I'm going to need a quaiffe LSD too. :twisted:

leif
10-24-2005, 08:10 PM

Just buy em man!

Yeah, I've been cursing your name ever since I read your review. I've even started to look for time in my schedule when I can get down to Scal and have him work on my car. How long did the install take, anyway? GRRR.... I think I'm going to need a quaiffe LSD too. :twisted:

if i may... john mailed percy the suspension, i would assume that he gives you some specs to go get the car aligned with. putting in coilovers took my incompetent friend an hour, so for a normal man it shouldn't take long, evo's are really easy. and you have to get the quaife man, its awsome.

earlyapex
10-24-2005, 08:20 PM
yea Mueller can ship them already set up to spec, you install them, and then get them aligned to his specs at a good alignment shop.

Hell, you can come to my house and I'll help you install them, they are cake. :)

Evo442
10-24-2005, 08:28 PM
yea Mueller can ship them already set up to spec, you install them, and then get them aligned to his specs at a good alignment shop.

Hell, you can come to my house and I'll help you install them, they are cake. :)

Generous offer! Might have to take you up on that! :D

What do you think about the Ohlins vs Buddy Clubs?

wilson1
10-24-2005, 08:56 PM

and Moton vs them?

earlyapex
10-24-2005, 09:01 PM

Ohlins are more expensive than the Buddy Clubs and Motons are more expensive then both of them. :D

It's really all about valving quality and build at this point. If you guys are really asking about all three of those "muellerized", you need to talk to him about them and he can tell you what will work with your needs and budget.

Honestly, at our level, you can be just as fast with the Buddy Clubs or the Motons, you choose how much lighter your wallet wants to be. It really is all in the setup.

but what do I know, I am only running $1200 street coilovers. 8)

hagakure
10-24-2005, 09:09 PM

Just buy em man!

if i may... john mailed percy the suspension, i would assume that he gives you some specs to go get the car aligned with. putting in coilovers took my incompetent friend an hour, so for a normal man it shouldn't take long, evo's are really easy. and you have to get the quaife man, its awsome.

John did not mail me the suspension. they set it up at thunderhill last thursday. Installed the suspension, set the ride heigth, and alligned the car, right att he track. Also, the quality of the Buddy Clubs is outstanding. I plan to race year after next (one more year of time trials with NASA and NCRC) and it will be all I need, I assure you. No need to move up to the Ohlins, unless you really want to spend money. Motons are overkill for almost anyone on this board. If you wantt he car to handle as it should, so you can just concentrate on driving the car, this is the way to go.

Percy

SouthernCrane
10-24-2005, 09:35 PM

Does that offer stand for all NCE members....... :D

leif
10-24-2005, 09:44 PM
oh thats pretty cool percy, good timing on both parties. i was trying to make the point you don't have to go down there to have it done.

hopefully if we both make to the that ncrc event you told me about i can check them out. altho i personally am 99% commited to the ohlins just because of my past experience with them.