PDA

View Full Version : Help

mikee336
10-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Hey guys ive been lurking but i just created an account so i could ask some little questions. I really love the evo 8, my friend has one and i really want to get one. I was wondering how easy or how it is or was for some younger members to get into one of these things. Im 19 years old (20) in december. I make around 1500 a month and live at home with my parents and i pay no other bills. My credit score should be around mid 700s by the time i go to buy which will be at the end of december. what do you guys think my chances are of getting into one? even if its a used 03' for like 25k or something? im planning on putting down 2k and trading in my current 99 zx2. do you guys think i have a chance? if not i might be forced to pick something up like an srt-4 :cry: becuz i have to get a new car and i want something fast and fairly new. so what do ya think?

AreSTG
10-24-2005, 12:28 PM
bigger down payment, get a co-signer.

however if you plan on moveing out before the cars payed for, might want to look at your priorities. Trust me, im 19(20 in Nov) and married and own a 05 MR, and a 03 Celica(both bought new). It can be done. but now im in the military and everyhtings all good.

thing is, when i was at the point you are, i was makeing about twice what u are, so that kinda changes things, plus i had cell-phone, internet, insurance etc.

get your parents backing, since you still live under their wing, and things should be fine.

SouthernCrane
10-24-2005, 12:29 PM
This is just an estimate for you to look at (for a new IX RS at 29,149 with 7K down and 60 month financing at 6%), but if you live at home you should be able to swing 428.20. You should check to see how much insurance is going to be too.

if you bought a used one for 23K your monthly would only be about 309.32 with those same numbers.

Try it out for yourself though:
http://www1.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/jsp/finance/ChooseCalculator.jsp

Matz
10-24-2005, 01:41 PM
buy a used 03 Evo. Consider Maldo's or EVO GRIM's.

ZK
10-24-2005, 02:21 PM
It may be a lot harder to buy a used car as financing costs a lot more and unless you get it from the dealer, a lot of banks might not loan you that kind of money. That may be the best deal if you can get a good interest rate on a used car loan.

A new Evo, well plan on spending almost 2/3 your current income on one! I pay $250 a month on insurance alone on an Evo and I'm 28 with no points or accidents. Throw that in with the $500 car payment for a 5 year loan and that's quite a bit of money. Not to mention maintenance and gas, It's well over $1000 a month just for the privledge to drive this car.

In your situation, I'd save the money and concentrate on school and/or getting a higher paying job.

Matz
10-24-2005, 02:36 PM
A new Evo, well plan on spending almost 2/3 your current income on one! I pay $250 a month on insurance alone on an Evo and I'm 28 with no points or accidents. Throw that in with the $500 car payment for a 5 year loan and that's quite a bit of money. Not to mention maintenance and gas, It's well over $1000 a month just for the privledge to drive this car.

In your situation, I'd save the money and concentrate on school and/or getting a higher paying job.

!!! You need to change insurance companies, I think, unless the $250/month was a typo. ouch! I didn't know that financing was tougher for used cars, thanks for clearing that one up.

ZK
10-24-2005, 02:45 PM
!!! You need to change insurance companies, I think, unless the $250/month was a typo. ouch! I didn't know that financing was tougher for used cars, thanks for clearing that one up.

That is the cheapest I can find. I got quotes from Progressive, 21st Century, Geico, Safeco, State Farm and Esurance. All are about the same. I think a large part of it is living in San Francisco and it's the only car on my policy.

If you know anything cheaper & still have good service, let me know.

AreSTG
10-24-2005, 02:48 PM
get married and have multiple cars, overall more but each car looks like it has cheaper insurance :)

then again the marriage thing can be expensive, plus will cut into mods to the Evo....

DJMic0
10-26-2005, 10:32 PM
Got my evo 03 for $23k with 20k miles on it. I paid $13k cash and asked my sister to take out an loan for the rest. I'm paying $250 for my car every month. As for insurance, I never had any. The previous insurance was paid by my dad so It was a free ride. Now I got my own insurance but it's under my sister name because she's 2 years older. Should be cheaper I guess. Well I pay $1500 for a 6 month period. I just gave insurance $1500 to get that of the way so I can just worry about $250 for the car payment. By the way, I'm 18 and turing 19 in April.

In other words, it's doable but you need to ask for help. My sister gave me a helping hand. I was saving up for an Rx-7 but oh well settled with the Evo. The only down part is 1. Insurance is a grip and 2. no mods should be done unless you paid off your car first.

Matz
10-26-2005, 11:23 PM
Hey I'm glad it's working out for you. You got a great deal on that car! Like you, I was saving up for a different car, but ended up with the Evo. I was saving up since 1996 for it and just couldn't get the money. Honestly, I'm glad that I couldn't afford the NSX because the Evo kicks ass and I like driving it way more.

DJMic0
10-27-2005, 12:45 PM
I appreciate your comment. I'm not a spoiled brat i worked my ass off for this plus I am still making payments. Also It was a great deal because it was from a friend. Also the car wasn't treated horriably. Just beware about other EVo out there. Many drive the shit out of them.

NSX :shock:

SouthernCrane
10-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Hey I'm glad it's working out for you. You got a great deal on that car! Like you, I was saving up for a different car, but ended up with the Evo. I was saving up since 1996 for it and just couldn't get the money. Honestly, I'm glad that I couldn't afford the NSX because the Evo kicks ass and I like driving it way more.

sorry to go OT: I might be able to get you a used NSX if you are still interested :)

mikee336
11-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Well an update on my car situation. I decided not to get the evo...

I got a 2006 STI instead. For some reason i just liked it a little more than the evo. Thanks for the help though guys. and if its ok with you guys ill be sticking around.

wilson1
11-26-2005, 11:32 AM
Congrats!

Please post some pics . :D