PDA

View Full Version : Thunderhill Driver's Ed 12-10

evolution888
10-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Just wondering if anyone is going with their Evo. Im thinking of going because it LOOKS FUN!!! But I have to wake up at 5AM to make it on time which is going to suck.

SJCoruja
10-24-2005, 12:19 PM
I just did this on 10/2, and do plan on going in December if there is space...just waiting until closer to register because I don't really want to run it in the rain. ;) I would reccomend going up the night before if you don't live close...better to get a good night's sleep and relax in the morning before it starts. I also know that there are a few other folks on here planning on going.

SouthernCrane
10-24-2005, 12:47 PM
I also know that there are a few other folks on here planning on going.

I am signed up for the event, but i might wait and transfer to one next year during a dryer part of the year.

evolution888
10-24-2005, 12:50 PM
I want to stay and live at a place nearby. However, I've never been to t-hill and have no idea what's a good place to stay. Furthurmore, I'm afraid to stay out because my car will be vulnerable. Btw SJ i commented on your car on ProStreet :)

dohcvtec
10-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Stay at the Amerihost in Willows, nice place. I wouldn't worry about your car, people park there all the time without incident.

SJCoruja
10-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Btw SJ i commented on your car on ProStreet :)

Thanks! Every little bit helps (gotta keep an Evo in the #1 spot hahaha) :thumbsup:

+1 on the Amerihost. It was great and I actually got a room on the lower level and had my Evo parked about 5 feet outside my window. :)

evolution888
10-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Please post here if you're going!!! We should plan a EVO CHILL NIGHT before the driver's ed day lol... nothing too crazy though since the event starts at 8AM

ayn
11-03-2005, 03:57 PM
I can't make it to the one on the 12th, I'm pretty sure I'm going to this one, (if gf okays it)... Or one of the ones early next year...

b0yw0nder
11-05-2005, 04:22 PM
where is the info for the event?

b0yw0nder
11-07-2005, 11:07 PM
so anyone done this with mercury insurance? for my heart sake, i just wanna know if i crash my evo if they are gonna pay to fix it!

oh...so if I do this, anyone that wants to party after, we should head a little north to chico!

dohcvtec
11-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Its a Driving school. Most insurance companies cover you anyway.

ayn
11-11-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm not sure if I'm going to this one... gf visiting that weekend, need to change my front tires, and then it rains pretty damn often here this time of year... tho, with an Evo, rain should be fun too...

MitsuMan
11-11-2005, 07:06 PM
this sounds like a good one to me I'm in does anyone have a link?

SJCoruja
11-12-2005, 12:14 AM
http://www.thunderhill.com/html/driving_school.html

cooliodb
11-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Looks like fun....probably won't make it next weekend but will definitely go early next year.

Richard EVO
12-01-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm signed up. Being a SoCal EVO dude, I have run the Performance Driving Clinic at Buttonwillow 4 times, but this will be my first time at the T-hill clinic. I've run 4 HPDE track days at T-hill, which have only reinforced my need for some good instruction on this great track. See you all there. Pray for NO RAIN. 8)

SouthernCrane
12-01-2005, 08:06 AM
Pray for NO RAIN. 8)

+1

Richard EVO
12-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Weather report is looking good as of today. A chance of rain this Thursday night, and then no rain for the next several days, so Sat. is looking good. :D

evolution888
12-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Whos here? I'm at Amerihost and there seems to be a VERY nice car under a car cover. I"m guessing it's some kind of $$$ Porsche that's actually fast.

Richard EVO
12-09-2005, 11:16 PM
Well it's not me. I had to cancel due to mechanical problems. However, my EVO is normally "actually fast." :P

Richard EVO
12-11-2005, 07:59 PM
So how was the Clinic? I hated to miss it. Someone who went please post a review. Thanks.

SouthernCrane
12-11-2005, 09:55 PM
So how was the Clinic? I hated to miss it. Someone who went please post a review. Thanks.

I went to the HPDS on the 10th. it was my first time at the track. i had a lot of fun, and learned quite a bit, but i really didn't know anything going in :D

i was in the beginner group A. in all sessions there was an instructor in the car with you. the first two sessions they only had the front half of the course open for the beginners, after that, they opened up the back half. For us they only allowed passing in the straights, for obvious safety reasons, but it sucked becuase there was a mini-van out there going pretty slow, so once in awhile you would get stuck behind it for most of a lap :( most turns had cones set up to mark the turn in point, the apex, and the exit.

i had two different instructors, one young, one old. the older one drove an evo. both were very helpful, but i found that when i was trying to drive harder, my concentration was too focused on the road, so once in awhile i would have to slow down so i could learn/hear and understand the instructor. there were also after session talks with some of the instructors, which were somewhat helpful.

on thing that was hard for me at first was stomping on the brakes before entering the corner, which i was not used to at all on the streets, but out on the track it didn't take long to get used to. the other thing that was a bad habit was when i was driving behind someone slower than me.....instead of driving the correct line, i would follow them and their incorrect line :? i don't know why, i tried my best to break that habit, and by the end of the day, i was doing much better when following someone slower.

for those of you going to T-Hill, turns 5 and 9 are not as bad as you think. i didn't have too much trouble with the hills, the one i had troubles with was 14. i would sometimes enter too hot and have to take it wide...........also i didn't enjoy the off-camber turn 3. two people spun on that one, and both times they were in front of me.....i was lucky they went off the track, otherwise i could've t-boned them.

thanks to Evo442 for letting me stay at his house and letting me borrow a whole bunch of equipment (one evo had to use the duct tape and zip ties for his bumper), water, and food too.

for anyone thinking of doing a track day this is a great way to start out. i can't wait to get back out onto the track! 8) :wave:

dohcvtec
12-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Sounds like you had a great time, I'm sure the bug has bitten you too. :)

A note on following peoples lines, its a natural thing to do. What you need to do is look beyond their car and not at their bumper. Its just something you need to tell yourself when getting in that situation. With seat time it will all fall into place :)