PDA

View Full Version : Custom Alignment Kudos!

Fletch
10-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Well I dropped $300 for an alignment but they spent 2.5hrs and I ended up with what I wanted.
1.5neg camber L&R in front with zero toe
1.0neg camber L&R rear with 1/16 or 1/8 toe in (can't remember).

The guys are true pro's. 8)

A new Ferrari F430 just popped in for some work before I left, very nice. They have 25yrs under their belts do alot of racing.

earlyapex
10-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Damn that's banky,

What suspension are you running?

SouthernCrane
10-27-2005, 02:02 PM
The one in mountain view right? they did a good job on my car, but i don't remember it being that much for just the alignment.

earlyapex
10-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Do you get a foot massage with that too? Facial? Cuticle clean up?

dohcvtec
10-27-2005, 03:28 PM
I called them once for corner balance and align and they wanted something like $450 :shock:

Went to Roger Kraus instead and got it all done for $170.

GokuSSJ4
10-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Do you get a foot massage with that too? Facial? Cuticle clean up?
LOL

Steiner
10-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Well I dropped $300 for an alignment but they spent 2.5hrs and I ended up with what I wanted.

A new Ferrari F430 just popped in for some work before I left, very nice. They have 25yrs under their belts do alot of racing.
I paid about that much a couple years ago for a custom alignment and camber kit install at "The Speed Merchant" in San Jose. When you consider how much tires cost it makes sense to get a proffesional alignment.

earlyapex
10-27-2005, 11:12 PM
When you consider how much tires cost it makes sense to get a proffesional alignment.

Jack at Motorsport Techniques is a professional, he sets up tons of track and autox cars, and it costs 3x less. Even with coilovers and camberplates.

I've used him at least 10 times. Perfect every time.

methods4
10-28-2005, 12:35 AM
I paid about that much a couple years ago for a custom alignment and camber kit install at "The Speed Merchant" in San Jose. When you consider how much tires cost it makes sense to get a proffesional alignment.

Professional does not have to equal rape-me-with-no-lube prices. $300 is recockulous.

I second Jack at Motorsport Techniques. I've used him a couple times now and perfect everytime. I even drive down from Sac just to have him do my alignments.

leif
10-28-2005, 01:11 PM
2.5 hours and 300 bux?!? good god, go to kraus next time. brandon was done in 40mins.

Fletch
10-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Like I said 2.5 hrs solid to get evrything perfect. There normal prices are $240 for a 4 wheel alignment. There equipment is a laser based 3d image set up. Believe me I knew it was going to be expensive but it was the equivelent of front camber kits and left rear subframe trim to get toe correct. Very invasive yet safe and smart. The car was perfect when it left from left to right and front to back. They have been there for 25yrs and it shows. I would have liked a cheaper price too, but sometimes you get what you pay for and neither of us settled for less than perfect. :D

Fletch
10-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Stock KYB's with hotchkis springs front and rear and hotckis adj rear sway bar. Coilovers next year I hope.

chrisw
10-28-2005, 01:30 PM
When you consider how much tires cost it makes sense to get a proffesional alignment.

Jack at Motorsport Techniques is a professional, he sets up tons of track and autox cars, and it costs 3x less. Even with coilovers and camberplates.

I've used him at least 10 times. Perfect every time.

Jack is really good. I wish they did corner weights too.

I had my old talon aligned @ custom alignment before I found motorsports technique. Not only did I get a kick ass alignment, but also a lesson in learning how to "read the tires" by looking at the wear patterns on the tire. Custom alignment is definately one of the top places to go if you must have the perfect alignment, but if you need to save money, Jack is the man...

earlyapex
10-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Stock KYB's with hotchkis springs front and rear and hotckis adj rear sway bar. Coilovers next year I hope.

So they still charged you $300 and no coilovers so they didn't have to fiddle with your camberplates?

Good god.

hphan
10-28-2005, 01:39 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: Damn and I thought $60 for my alignment was expensive :lol: . I installed coilovers and camper plates myself and then brought it back to my alignment shop and they re-did my alignment for free too. But they regretted it after they finished cause it took them a long time to get the camber and toe the way I wanted.

leif
10-28-2005, 01:47 PM

So they still charged you $300 and no coilovers so they didn't have to fiddle with your camberplates?

Good god.

well you know to some ppl the longer it takes..... no nm i cant even come up with an excuse for why it should cost that much.

all the shops ppl mentioned in this thread have just as much experience setting up cars. brandon used to race those stockcars with nasa now he does the honda challenge, motorsport technique does those a shit load of bimmers and what not. even the local big-o by my house sets up a few honda challenge cars, and they only charge like 80 bux with free realignment within 6k miles. f'realz man, 300 is too much for an alignment.

ZK
10-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Geez, I ask my friend to do it on his rack at work afterhours.. and I buy him dinner. Most new racks use laser alignment now - its not a big deal.

Your alignment doesn't have to be perfect down to the hundredth degree... you drive around and it'll be off in less than a week just from bumps and road conditions.

EvoVIII
10-28-2005, 03:14 PM
god damn, I got my car done at motorsport technique for $80buck
-2.5Front, -1.0rear 0toe all around

dohcvtec
10-28-2005, 03:21 PM

Good god.

well you know to some ppl the longer it takes..... no nm i cant even come up with an excuse for why it should cost that much.

all the shops ppl mentioned in this thread have just as much experience setting up cars. brandon used to race those stockcars with nasa now he does the honda challenge, motorsport technique does those a shit load of bimmers and what not. even the local big-o by my house sets up a few honda challenge cars, and they only charge like 80 bux with free realignment within 6k miles. f'realz man, 300 is too much for an alignment.
+1

Brandon has done all of my cars, great place!

nightwalker
10-28-2005, 11:18 PM
300? DAMN! My friend did mine for free at his work! I bought him and his girl lunch later. Seems like a fair trade to me. :wink:

methods4
10-29-2005, 01:56 AM
....I would have liked a cheaper price too, but sometimes you get what you pay for and neither of us settled for less than perfect. :D

Sometimes I agree with the "you get what you pay for". But you also have to factor umm, common sense? Do you think it would've been better if they charged you $500 instead?

If you're perfectly fine with paying $300 for an alignment and you do a lot of trackdays, your wallet is going to hate you. :)

Steiner
10-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Just to clarify...my alignment took 3 hours because the front left of the car sat about 3/8" lower than the right side. Apparently it's not uncommon for cars to come from the factory like that. They had to do a bunch of stuff.

MitsuMan
10-31-2005, 03:15 PM

dude your gay
I could've givin you that set up if you had brought me the specs, and had it done in a hour or less depending on how far out the car began at.
And if you want to pay that much I'll take is as a $220 tip :lol: :lol: :lol:

earlyapex
10-31-2005, 04:07 PM
dude your gay
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Is this MitsubishZ in disguise?

fredrik94087
11-11-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm new with my Evo...as you can see this is my first posting.

I had a modded 1997 Grand Am. I took it to several places and none of them could get my steering wheel straight and keep the car going as straight as custom alignment. IMO, they are the best at front end and rear-end work.

-Fred

earlyapex
11-11-2005, 03:26 PM

I had a modded 1997 Grand Am. I took it to several places and none of them could get my steering wheel straight and keep the car going as straight as custom alignment. IMO, they are the best at front end and rear-end work.

-Fred

Adjust the tie rods to get the steering wheel straight. Big deal.

dohcvtec
11-11-2005, 04:22 PM

-Fred

Adjust the tie rods to get the steering wheel straight. Big deal.
C'mon now, don't you know its rocket science! :shock:

Fletch
11-12-2005, 06:54 PM
This post went the wrong direction. I was not asking for opinions about how much I paid rather to give kudos to custom alignment for a job well done. They did much more than you realize. Again I will do business there again. If you all have a better place to go for 80 bucks and are satisfied please go. If you can't get it right elsewhere (I basically had 2 previous 60 dollar alignments that were not right and wasted alot of my time). How much is you time worth? Custom alignment is a top end shop. Not many 60-80 dollar alignment shops work on 200k F430's.......nuff said 8)

warpspeed
11-13-2005, 12:28 PM
That's true. You just wanted to give kudos to the shop that did your alignmnet for the price you paid. So I give kudos to to San Rafael Mitusubishi for doing my custom alignment specs. for less than $150 and took less than an our and happy with them. :)

earlyapex
11-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Not many 60-80 dollar alignment shops work on 200k F430's.......nuff said 8)

Fine, all you people that think that a shop charging 2x to 3x more than other shops means they HAVE to be 2x to 3x better, and they also have to be better because expensive cars go there, then by all means, have fun wasting your money.

EFIxMR
11-13-2005, 06:46 PM
Geez, I ask my friend to do it on his rack at work afterhours.. and I buy him dinner. Most new racks use laser alignment now - its not a big deal.

the guys at stasis can do an alignment with a big piece of cardboard and some string.

you don't need any stinking laz0rs. :twisted: lol

turbotiger
11-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Seriously, what justifies spending more than 3x the amount as let's say motorsports techinque?

Especially with stock struts. They adjust the camber / toe settings using the built in adjustments.... And then what?

And why did it take 3 hours?