PDA

View Full Version : Buying cams ** witch if any pass smogg **

CACalomino
10-31-2005, 11:10 PM
Im back in the EVO game and im looking for a set of cams and I realy want to be able to pass emissions when the time comes rathre than have to take them out and put them back in etc.

I know I know most of u are gona say just man up and mod and shut up etc etc. I know im gona get the car tuned with bigger injectors and a SAFC2 but I want to be able to do a simple quick injector swap back to stock and disconnect teh SAFC and be able to pass running on the stock ECU .

My set up is prob gona be either 264/264 or the works 269 cams or if I feel like it 264/272 set up

So does anybody realy and truely know if any of these set ups will pass on a stock car meaning stock ECU injectors with no more than a DP and cat back. I have read some post's on here but I cant get some true hard facts. SOme say np but I want actual hard evidence etc.

thanks in advance for any feedback

-Chris

JanSolo
10-31-2005, 11:48 PM
Do you still have the Nissan truck? You crazy guy you - I haven't seen you since that day at Thunderhill EONS ago.

The only cams I know of that pass emissions are the WORKS 269s.

CACalomino
11-01-2005, 12:10 AM
Do you still have the Nissan truck? You crazy guy you - I haven't seen you since that day at Thunderhill EONS ago.

The only cams I know of that pass emissions are the WORKS 269s.

Na sold the titan for a 05 4X4 tacoma then sold that for a 05 ram 2500 diesel the sold that for my 05 EVO LOL ya I go threw car's alot but im sticking with the evo for sure I only sold my 03 after some moron crashed into it and bent the frame after I got fixed it never drove the same and at the time I needed a truck. Ya im gona have to come back up to norcal and attack T-Hill again for sure

-Chris

wilson1
11-01-2005, 12:46 AM
Welcom back , Chris! :D

Let us know when you are coming.

bdking57
11-01-2005, 09:38 AM
GSC/hks 264s will pass as long as your cat is functioning correctly. btw, you could buy GSC 264s + crower Ti valve springs and retainers for less money the the 269s.. no cam gears needed with the 264s either. I wish i had the money to spend on the designer works products though :)

byt
11-01-2005, 09:06 PM
GSC/hks 264s will pass as long as your cat is functioning correctly. btw, you could buy GSC 264s + crower Ti valve springs and retainers for less money the the 269s.. no cam gears needed with the 264s either. I wish i had the money to spend on the designer works products though :)

What's the source for the cheap 264s and valvetrain?

CACalomino
11-01-2005, 09:22 PM

OK so u have proof that HKS 264's will pass with a functional Stock cat. Where did u find proof of this? im not ?ing you but just wanted ot know if tested your set up or who do u know that did etc

thanks
-Chris

byt
11-01-2005, 09:36 PM
See these threads:

http://norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6061&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5717

CACalomino
11-02-2005, 11:29 AM
See these threads:

http://norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6061&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5717

Yes I read those treads before I posted this one but they still were not hare evidence sure the one guy passed at the smog station but from the sound of it the guy had no idea what he was doing since he had never scene a evo before. Im looking for a smog printout or somebody taht has gone to smogg shop for a BS ticket and passed the sniffer.

-CHris

dohcvtec
11-02-2005, 11:55 AM
You don't have to smog until 2011. I wouldn't worry about the cams failing you. The injectors and SAFC would do more harm to smog than cams would. I thought one of those threads mentioned he passed with cams and a stock cat...??..

EDIT:
here is the thread I was thinking of.
http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5552&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

EvoRicer
11-02-2005, 01:00 PM
for real? we dont have to smog till 2011 even for the 03's?

You don't have to smog until 2011. I wouldn't worry about the cams failing you. The injectors and SAFC would do more harm to smog than cams would. I thought one of those threads mentioned he passed with cams and a stock cat...??..

EDIT:
http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5552&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

dohcvtec
11-02-2005, 01:48 PM
for real? we dont have to smog till 2011 even for the 03's?

EDIT:
6 years for whichever year. For you, 2009.

MitsuMan
11-02-2005, 04:43 PM
I belive you have 5 years now and then you also have a one time use waiver. Who has straight 272 or bigger you should throw a stock cat on and go get is tested just to see.!!!!!!!

nightwalker
11-03-2005, 06:42 PM
If someone with 272s wants to try smogging their EVO, come out to Truckee and I'll run a pre-test to see if it will pass.

MitsuMan
11-03-2005, 10:03 PM
thats a mission right there

white power
11-04-2005, 12:01 AM
I belive you have 5 years now and then you also have a one time use waiver. Who has straight 272 or bigger you should throw a stock cat on and go get is tested just to see.!!!!!!!

Most of us wont own our evo's in 5 years and if we do, they will be paid off and/or relegated to track/street racing duty by then.. No worries except for $4/gall gas by 2011!

dohcvtec
11-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Its 6 years anyways.

onesicklambo
11-09-2005, 08:23 AM
yeah but it you sell a car you have to smog it for the buyer so he can register it. right?

Matz
11-09-2005, 08:28 AM
yeah but it you sell a car you have to smog it for the buyer so he can register it. right?

Nope, not the Evo. I haven't had to smog either of the two that I've owned prior to registration.

Fourgig
11-10-2005, 02:43 PM
From the DMV website:

When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification is not required. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner.

When a vehicle is more than four model years old, a seller must provide evidence of a current smog certification except when one of the following occurs:

- The transfer occurs between a spouse, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.
- A biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).

Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

MitsuMan
11-10-2005, 07:24 PM
From the DMV website:

When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification is not required. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner.

When a vehicle is more than four model years old, a seller must provide evidence of a current smog certification except when one of the following occurs:

- The transfer occurs between a spouse, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.
- A biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).
its always been 4 years I think they bumped it up one for the 04 and newer

Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

LEVIII
11-10-2005, 10:48 PM
If someone with 272s wants to try smogging their EVO, come out to Truckee and I'll run a pre-test to see if it will pass.

I may take you up on that seeing as I drive through Truckee once in a while. Need to get her tuned first though cause she is oh so rish right now.

CACalomino
02-22-2006, 10:49 PM
back from dead wanted to see if anybody went to see if 264/272 or strait 272's will pass with stock cat?

-Chris

dohcvtec
02-23-2006, 10:28 AM
I belive you have 5 years now
read above, its 6 years.