PDA

View Full Version : RACING BRAKE 2-PIECE ROTORS

hagakure
11-01-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm posting this in the motor sport section because these rotors are for the true track hounds. I have been fortunate enough to be able to test the RACING BRAKE 2 piece front rotors, and their rear one-piece rotors. The pad set-up was Hawk HT14 front, and HT10 rear. My first event on these rotors was at Reno-Fernley Raceway on October 22, and I was frankly STUNNED at the effectiveness of this Rotor and pad combination over my stock set-up and Race Pad combo. With the stock rotors I have run the carbotech XP10's, great pads, but the stopping power was no where near what I was able to achieve with the Racing Brake/Hawk set-up. In 7 20 minute sessions on a very high speed track with 2 heavy braking zones I experienced absolutely 0 fade, and pedal modulation was excellent. You can come off of these brakes quickly, and the response is progressive and linear, good feel. Cooling was exceptionally improved due to the curved vane, Floating rotor design. The rotor/pad combo is noisy, and I have confirmed that racing brake is working on special shims for the Hawk pads that will cut down on this somewhat.

I will post some pictures tomorrow, as I need to work on editing them to fit the space requirements. Racing Brake is also working on a Big Brake Kit for the Evo which should come in at very competitive pricing tot he stoptech and other BB kits. The quality of materials and design of the rotors is spectacular, and I could go into detail about that, but better info can be found at
http://www.racingbrake.com/product_p/2018-311-12.htm

Look at the comparison chart for more technical information. Bottom line is that with this set-up I was able to brake much deeper and harder, with excellent pedal modulation and control. These rotors are worth a strong look by anyone that tracks their car on a somewhat regular basis.

Percy Howard

earlyapex
11-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Percy,

Did you also use the Hawk HT14 on your stock rotors before moving to the racing brakes?

hagakure
11-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Percy,

Did you also use the Hawk HT14 on your stock rotors before moving to the racing brakes?

Bryan,

Good question, but no. I was usingt he carbotech XP10's, which are similar in compound, temp rating etc...

Nobodyx
11-01-2005, 02:06 PM
How's pad and rotor wear look?

leif
11-01-2005, 02:16 PM
now if only you could drive brians car or he could drive your car we would be in business since you have one brand of 2pc and he has the other. these ones are about 70 bux more than the pf ones...i wonder how they compare.

earlyapex
11-01-2005, 02:20 PM
now if only you could drive brians car or he could drive your car we would be in business since you have one brand of 2pc and he has the other. these ones are about 70 bux more than the pf ones...i wonder how they compare.

I'm not using the PF's anymore. I killed them in 5 events. I put the stocker rotors back on for the Reno event. I plan on cutting out the bullshit and finally going back to Stoptech BBK.

Tony and Tam are still using the PF 2-piece though.

leif
11-01-2005, 02:44 PM

I'm not using the PF's anymore. I killed them in 5 events. I put the stocker rotors back on for the Reno event. I plan on cutting out the bullshit and finally going back to Stoptech BBK.

oh shit.....thats not very promising then.

hagakure
11-01-2005, 02:59 PM
How's pad and rotor wear look?

Pad and Rotor wear was Excellent. I can get two more track days out of the pads, no grooving whatsoever on the rotors. look at the Racing Brake Site. these rotors are a much more sophisticated design than the PF's, so the price I think will warrant it. I'm hard on brakes as well, and there is NO WAY I'll burn through these in six track days.

P

hagakure
11-01-2005, 03:02 PM

Leif,

Some info:

http://www.racingbrake.com/main/feature_comp.asp?display=twopiece

http://www.racingbrake.com/product_p/2018-311-12.htm

Percy

earlyapex
11-01-2005, 03:03 PM
these rotors are a much more sophisticated design than the PF's, so the price I think will warrant it.

They both have true floating and curved vanes, so whats more sophisticated?

I'm hard on brakes as well, and there is NO WAY I'll burn through these in six track days.

That's the same thing I said when I installed my PF's. 8)

methods4
11-01-2005, 04:41 PM

I think I have either 3 or 4 days on mine and they are holding up much better than Bryan's did. We use the same pads as well. I see at least 4 or so more opentrack days in this set. *crossing fingers*

hagakure
11-01-2005, 05:11 PM
these rotors are a much more sophisticated design than the PF's, so the price I think will warrant it.

They both have true floating and curved vanes, so whats more sophisticated?

I'm hard on brakes as well, and there is NO WAY I'll burn through these in six track days.

That's the same thing I said when I installed my PF's. 8)

Hey Bryan,

I'm not bagging on the PF's. But I'm not sure that features like the following describe the PF's:

"Exclusive full floating design with 10.9 grade alloyed hardware. Hardware is DACRO coated and crimp locking. DACRO is highly corrosion resistant and provides a film for easier movement between the hat and rotor ring as disc expands and contracts and the crimp design provides positive engagement without rattling or torque loss at temperature."

As a result, and I can attest to it, the rotors themselves are not noisy, and heat conductivity is arguably better.

Also, is the hat on the PF's a center mount hat? there are several benefits to this also:

"The center-mount flanges for hat mounting to the rotor ring have several benefits. (Illustration #2)
It allows the ring to be used on either side of the vehicle simply by mounting the hat on either side of the ring (unidirectional).
The stress load transferred from the ring to the hat is balanced.
Air inlets are widely open to both inboard and outboard sides of the rotor. More air suctions and even temperature on both sides of the disc surface.
Heat transfer from the disc surfaces to the hat is even and minimized by increasing the flange length and the airflow around the flanges.
Mounting flanges are on both friction surfaces ultimately provides excellent heat balance."

If I'm wrong about the design features I stand corrected, and maybe the term "sophisticated" was not the most descriptive. :)

earlyapex
11-01-2005, 05:38 PM
That all sounds like marketing speak for:

"We have a floating hat design that can bolt on either side, and since they are floating, they have all the advantages of a floating design."

Much easier to digest.

dohcvtec
11-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Have you guys tried running some good ducting to the center of any rotor? That should surely take care of rotor overheating problems regardless of the hat design.

methods4
11-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Also, is the hat on the PF's a center mount hat? there are several benefits to this also:

Center mount hat? As opposed to? PF hats can mount to either side as well.

Also, my PFs are not corroded nor do they rattle. So other than better marketing mumbo jumbo, I'm not sure where the big advantage is. The two designs are slightly different but I dunno how one can tell which is better. I counter your RB mumbo jumbo with PF's mumbo jumbo. I've taken liberty to highlight random words to make it seem more important. :P

"We’ve put decades into research and development, and incorporated that knowledge into ground-level savvy gained from our successes in motorsports. The result is an engineering marvel — the patented PFC Rotor.

The unique Performance Friction slotted rotors use a combination of breakthrough technologies to eliminate noise and enhance rotor life.
Our special machining process assures the lowest possible runout and thickness variation.

Our patented slot design gives much higher brake bite.
Our exclusive high temperature metal alloy resists hot spots and shrugs off the highest heat loading.
Computer designed vanes maximize cooling air flow and prevent thermal distortion.

Our two piece floating rotors are race proven in major motorsports venues around the world.

hagakure
11-01-2005, 05:57 PM
At any rate, I'll just default to my subjective and objective experiences with the rotors, which was they stopped me significantly better than my previous set-up, Less pad wear, very little rotor wear. Will continue to provide feedback to anyone that is interested.

Percy

earlyapex
11-01-2005, 06:03 PM
At any rate, I'll just default to my subjective and objective experiences with the rotors, which was they stopped me significantly better than my previous set-up, Less pad wear, very little rotor wear. Will continue to provide feedback to anyone that is interested.

Percy

Hey Percy,

Sorry if it sounded like I was attacking you. I was really just wondering if these are indeed better than other 2-piece rotors on the market.

From their description, it sounds like they have the same features as the PF product.

Now, Stoptech aerorotors and calipers do have a feature that these 2 do not, they have a stiffening bridge that stiffens the caliper and also has a air channel built in that shoves air from the rotor into the caliper and vice versa, enhancing the cooling effect. Given, it's the caliper and rotor package that work together.

methods4
11-01-2005, 06:13 PM

Percy

As usual, we just like to give people a hard time. :P

I don't think that there can be quantifiable data to say that the Arbys are better than the PFs.

But, in any case, this pad/rotor combination sounds leagues better than what you were using before. Put it this way, from your review, I wouldn't kick them out of bed.

earlyapex
11-01-2005, 06:17 PM
I don't think that there can be quantifiable data to say that the Arbys are better than the PFs.

http://www.articulations.us/pics/20030516-cosprings-victoryworld.jpg

hagakure
11-01-2005, 06:51 PM

Percy

Hey Percy,

Sorry if it sounded like I was attacking you. I was really just wondering if these are indeed better than other 2-piece rotors on the market.

From their description, it sounds like they have the same features as the PF product.

Now, Stoptech aerorotors and calipers do have a feature that these 2 do not, they have a stiffening bridge that stiffens the caliper and also has a air channel built in that shoves air from the rotor into the caliper and vice versa, enhancing the cooling effect. Given, it's the caliper and rotor package that work together.

No prob man...I don't feel attacked. As it lays, I can only give my subjective opinion and point the way tot eh design specs. RB is also coming out with a Big brake Kit that I will be testing as well. 6 piston front, 4 piston rear, but they will not be on my car until early next season (March or so).

P

methods4
11-01-2005, 08:03 PM
No prob man...I don't feel attacked. As it lays, I can only give my subjective opinion and point the way tot eh design specs. RB is also coming out with a Big brake Kit that I will be testing as well. 6 piston front, 4 piston rear, but they will not be on my car until early next season (March or so).

P

Your sponsorship acquisition skills are unrivaled. 8)

Evo442
11-01-2005, 09:32 PM

Which Stoptech kit are you planning on going with?

MarkSAE
11-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Hey Percy, are you running any sort of air ducting to your brakes?

methods4
11-01-2005, 10:54 PM

Mark, now that you mention it. Maybe that is why my rotors are looking like they are going to last longer than Bryan's.

Evo442
11-02-2005, 06:04 AM

Mark, now that you mention it. Maybe that is why my rotors are looking like they are going to last longer than Bryan's.

What ducting are you running?

redvolution
11-02-2005, 07:45 AM
The RB 2-pc are slightly heavier (~1lb per rotor) than a few of the others but I'm still drawn in by their scientific slant...ummmmm, "DACRO coated and crimp locking..."

methods4
11-02-2005, 10:16 AM
What ducting are you running?

Homemade stuff using:

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/images/image_large/8654_la.jpg

- Some brake duct tubing from my local race shop.

- Eleventy thousand zip ties.

If I was to do it over again, I would use different tubing. The stuff I bought was only one ply like this:

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_cat.php/subid=2193/index.html

I will be replacing it withsomething like this:

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_cat.php/subid=2213/index.html

The two ply is more expensive, but looks like it will hold up longer. I think I paid around $40 for the tubing I bought. The two ply would've been around $80. Unfortunately I had to settle for the one ply because that was all the shop had in stock.

MarkSAE
11-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Got any pictures of your setup Tony? How does the ducting terminate at the hub? And where did you mount the inlets?

earlyapex
11-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Got any pictures of your setup Tony? How does the ducting terminate at the hub? And where did you mount the inlets?

He mounted the inlet on his sideview mirrors along with two of these on each mirror:

http://www.thinkplay.ca/catalog/images/BH.gif

Unowned
11-02-2005, 11:23 AM
He mounted the inlet on his sideview mirrors along with two of these on each mirror:

http://www.thinkplay.ca/catalog/images/BH.gif

i hope he didn't forget the matching ribbon streamers for his mirrors then

genrec
11-06-2005, 04:39 PM
So i read everything here and hoping you guys would put info down on the socalevo post you started....

so is there any final concensus of which may have an advantage over the other??

or just close your eyes and pick??

and besides HAWKS and FERODOS...what other pads can you recommend.

thanks

Nobodyx
11-13-2005, 12:48 PM
RB rotors and hawk pads F&R are $1200! 5hit. A complete StopTech setup is only $400 more (of course you only get street pads, though).

earlyapex
11-13-2005, 12:53 PM
RB rotors and hawk pads F&R are $1200! 5hit. A complete StopTech setup is only $400 more (of course you only get street pads, though).

The Stoptech BBK $1700 kit only includes the front calipers / rotors / pads. The magic is that as long as you have decent pads on the rear, the front is all you need.

hagakure
11-13-2005, 01:18 PM
So i read everything here and hoping you guys would put info down on the socalevo post you started....

so is there any final concensus of which may have an advantage over the other??

or just close your eyes and pick??

and besides HAWKS and FERODOS...what other pads can you recommend.

thanks

I've posted my personal experience with the racingbrake set-up thus far, more feedback will be forthcoming after my next event 11/19. Concerning technical information on the RB set-up, more testimonials, etc, please go here: http://www.racingbrake.com/product_p/2018-311-12.htm

and here: http://www.racingbrake.com/main/testimonials.asp

http://forums.racingbrake.com/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=bd9dd29218a5909bcd189ae35f2ecad5

I think the rotors are fantastic as regards cooling and wear. All indication is that they will stand the test of relaiability as well. Please don't hesitate to contact racingbrake for more clarification and give them an opportunity to explain the technology behind their design in more detail.

Percy

Nobodyx
11-13-2005, 10:44 PM
Seems like the Racing Brake setup is the way to go, but I'm still perplexed as to why pads for the Evo cost so damn much. I can score FOUR sets of pads for my Wilwood Dynalites for the same price as a single set of pads for the Brembos on the Mitsu. Somethin' ain't right there.

dohcvtec
11-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Seems like the Racing Brake setup is the way to go, but I'm still perplexed as to why pads for the Evo cost so damn much. I can score FOUR sets of pads for my Wilwood Dynalites for the same price as a single set of pads for the Brembos on the Mitsu. Somethin' ain't right there.
:werd:

I loved having my wilwood kit on my old honda, pads were cheaper than the OEM sized ones!

earlyapex
11-14-2005, 12:09 AM

I heard that. Race pads for Stoptechs are on average $40 cheaper each and they are much larger than the evo brembo size. Stoptechs do use a standard porsche size pads which probably helps.

KitW
11-22-2005, 12:00 PM
I ran a stoptech kit on my last car. They are a really good set of brakes. I ran both Cobalt Spec-VRs and Pagid RS14s on them, and both worked well. The Pagids didn't get along really well with my Axxis ultimates (the Pagids are VERY nice to rotors when hot) and I had a bit of juddering, (deposits). The cobalts are a bit more abrasive (and last forever) and work well with the street pads. (not as much juddering)

I've run the HT14s and I didn't like them as much, they were somewhat similar to the Cobalts (lots of bite) but harder to modulate.

I'd try the Cobalts if I were you, on the stoptechs.

I'm gonna try them in the stock calipers when I finally get out to the track. (and Tony, I wanna see your ducts, too!)

earlyapex
11-22-2005, 12:15 PM
(and Tony, I wanna see your ducts, too!)

Speaking of ducts:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?threadid=170720

mmmm yummy.

genrec
01-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Bumping this up for updates.

How are those RB's holding Percy?

How are the PF's holding to all the others?

Got some Earls lines and some projectMu pads chillin....just trying to decide which rotors to get.

Thanks

vtluu
01-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Just ordered some brake ducts from Forge's website; I imagine it'll be another month or so before I see them but that's fine. 8)

crctslt
01-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Those things are beautiful. If I had an Evo with stock calipers I would be all over those things. 8)

genrec
01-05-2006, 06:43 PM
BUMP! i want more feedback befoe i pick between the PF's or the RB's!!

Matz
01-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Just ordered some brake ducts from Forge's website; I imagine it'll be another month or so before I see them but that's fine. 8)

Whoops, I replied to your post on evom before I saw your post here. :)

So does anyone have anything to say about Stoptech vs. Willwood? I have a friend with a connection at Wilwood that can get the BBK for dirt cheap (supposedly).

vtluu
01-06-2006, 02:03 AM
So does anyone have anything to say about Stoptech vs. Willwood? I have a friend with a connection at Wilwood that can get the BBK for dirt cheap (supposedly).
I'd say StopTech is better than Wilwood. Not to say there's anything wrong with Wilwood; they cater mainly to domestic cars although there are a lot of cheap aftermarket brake upgrade kits that use Wilwood calipers + special adapters to fit them to specific cars. For example the front brakes on my VW rally car. Wilwoods are generally dirt-cheap though, for example I'd estimate the front calipers on said VW are close to $120 each, and come with the warning that they're for off-road use only. You get what you pay for I guess... though I've never heard of someone having a bad experience with Wilwood either.

hagakure
01-06-2006, 09:35 AM
If there are enough folks interested on norcalevo I'm sure I can organize a group buy on the RacingBrake 2-piece rotors.

Percy

earlyapex
01-06-2006, 01:08 PM
You get what you pay for I guess... though I've never heard of someone having a bad experience with Wilwood either.

I have. The wilwood kits for the DSM's flexed more than my guns.

http://harris.dvc.org.uk/johnny96.jpg

Matz, didn't you just buy stoptechs? They are the best bar none. Don't mess wif anything else. :)

dohcvtec
01-06-2006, 01:25 PM
I loved my wilwood BBK on my old honda. It used the dynalite 4 pot calipers. If only I could get their BBK to fit under 15's, I'd be all over it again. Its cheap for their whole kit for hondas too, $600.

earlyapex
01-06-2006, 01:40 PM
I loved my wilwood BBK on my old honda. It used the dynalite 4 pot calipers. If only I could get their BBK to fit under 15's, I'd be all over it again. Its cheap for their whole kit for hondas too, $600.

Hondas are also only slightly heavier than a ladybug.

http://www.folkmanis.com/imagefilesA/ladybugm.JPG