PDA

View Full Version : Tire wear question

MarkSAE
11-06-2005, 10:26 AM
I've been monitoring my tire wear pretty closely over the past few months because my advans are finally wearing out. Before I did any track events, my tire wear was pretty even on all four tires. Now, after running at T-hill twice, I noticed both left tires's inside edges are worn noticeably more compared to the right. I'm am thinking this is due to turns 1 and 8 since they're really high speed left hand turns. For those of you who track a lot, which parts of your tires wear out first? The outsides right?

My previous alignment settings were -1.8 degrees of camber in front, and -1.3 in the back w/ 0 toe all the way around. I now have -2.5 up front and -1.4 in the back w/ 0 toe.

Also, how bald can the advans go before the cords start to show? The inside edges of my left tires are borderline bald right now, but still have a little tread showing. I'm hoping this is enough to last me through my upcoming track day. I'll be monitoring my tires throughout the day and will call it a day if it starts cording.

Evo442
11-06-2005, 10:58 AM
I've been monitoring my tire wear pretty closely over the past few months because my advans are finally wearing out. Before I did any track events, my tire wear was pretty even on all four tires. Now, after running at T-hill twice, I noticed both left tires's inside edges are worn noticeably more compared to the right. I'm am thinking this is due to turns 1 and 8 since they're really high speed left hand turns. For those of you who track a lot, which parts of your tires wear out first? The outsides right?

My previous alignment settings were -1.8 degrees of camber in front, and -1.3 in the back w/ 0 toe all the way around. I now have -2.5 up front and -1.4 in the back w/ 0 toe.

Also, how bald can the advans go before the cords start to show? The inside edges of my left tires are borderline bald right now, but still have a little tread showing. I'm hoping this is enough to last me through my upcoming track day. I'll be monitoring my tires throughout the day and will call it a day if it starts cording.

mark - I have -2.5 degrees camber in front also, and it sounds like your wear patterns is normal. Its the camber. On all 4 tires, I get wear on the outside of the tires. Wear is heaviest on the inside of my front tires, particularly L front at Thill

When I am going around a L hand turn, for example, the only part of my front tire that is touching the ground is the inside part. In addition, I have no LSD on front, so I can feel/hear the inside front tire spinning... I need a quaiffe!

I still have your email address and can send you some pics of my track tires if you like.

-david

MarkSAE
11-06-2005, 11:47 AM
mark - I have -2.5 degrees camber in front also, and it sounds like your wear patterns is normal. Its the camber. On all 4 tires, I get wear on the outside of the tires. Wear is heaviest on the inside of my front tires, particularly L front at Thill

When I am going around a L hand turn, for example, the only part of my front tire that is touching the ground is the inside part. In addition, I have no LSD on front, so I can feel/hear the inside front tire spinning... I need a quaiffe!

I still have your email address and can send you some pics of my track tires if you like.

-david

I can hear my tires screeching around the turns even w/ my quaife.. hehe..

So your outsides wear faster than the insides right? I just got my car realigned to -2.5 degrees in front. My previous two track days were w/ -1.8.

Evo442
11-06-2005, 03:36 PM
fronts: -2.5 camber, 1/16 toe out
rear: -0.5 camber, zero toe

my rear tires definitely wear more on the outside

for my fronts, mostly tracking at thill, my right front wears a little more on the inside than outside.

the left front wears a lot more on the inside than outside.

I haven't started swapping the tires on the wheels, but probably will start to.

earlyapex
11-06-2005, 03:46 PM
The insides of my front RA1's wear faster at thill, espically the drivers side. It's just how the track is since its mostly left turns.

Get religous about tire rotations. :)

My outsides are always fine but I run -2.7 camber front.

MarkSAE
11-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Okay, crap.. I guess I don't have much tire left for this friday. Thanks for the info.

GokuSSJ4
11-06-2005, 07:01 PM
is there a big difference from running a -2.75 F and -1.0 R vs -2.50 F -1.5 R ?

MarkSAE
11-06-2005, 10:34 PM
here are pics of the two tires in question. I put the tire w/ more tread on the inside edge in the front.

Front:
http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album360/DSC06517.sized.jpg

Rear:
http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album360/DSC06518.sized.jpg

It's never very easy to see through these pics.. but the tread is pretty low on the inside edges of each tire. I think I should be good for this event. I've monitored my tires really closely over my past two events and have a good idea of how fast they wear on the track.

earlyapex
11-07-2005, 01:54 AM
ahah as long as u still have tread blocks you are good to go. Those tires still look new to me. :D

dohcvtec
11-07-2005, 09:43 AM
ahah as long as u still have tread blocks you are good to go. Those tires still look new to me. :D
:werd:

You should see mine :?

turbotiger
11-07-2005, 07:11 PM
If you still have tread blocks, you're not in danger of cording it.
Once you don't have tread blocks anymore, you should think about buying new tires. Once the outside compound wears out you'll notice little chunks of rubber gone, and the inside compound is showing. You really need to change your tire at this point. Once you wear it some more, the cords start showing. At this point, it's time to drive the car over to the nearest tire shop and replace the tire. Once the tire blows, you've got not choice but to change the tire.

methods4
11-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Mark,

Those tires are cherry. You can see every single block. Which, IMO is truly amazing for the amount of miles you have on your car. :shock: